IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Infected, and how they play with others.
Have you played an infected char?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 109
Guests cannot vote 
Mortax
post May 24 2005, 04:11 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,950

Okay, so I made this a poll only because it may give me a little bit of a better idea what all of you're experiences are.

My main questions:

1. Have you ever been in a game where it became a question of whether or not you're pc was playable because of HMHVV infection?

2. What did you're GM decide?

3. If it was playable, how did you're char deal with the infection?

4. What rules did you're GM use for the infection?

I just started wondering on these points after a post in anouther thread. If this has been asked before and I just missed it some way or anouther with the search function, please add a link, and accept my applogies. :-)

To answer myself:

1. Yes, it has happend multiple times with different GMs

2. They were playable, provided they made various willpower checks.

3. Usually well, though the troll had a hard time of it.

4. Same as ghoul, higher target #, I think.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smiley
post May 24 2005, 04:22 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

We had a ghoul in our group. Also, I've been toying with the idea of playing a nosferatu for quite a while. Just can't get everything together.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post May 24 2005, 07:23 AM
Post #3

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

Vampires and such are red shirts in my games.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post May 24 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #4

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Had a ghoul once in our group. Got killed after the meeting with mr j. when some chars (not mine) realized, that the ghoul was a ghoul - they decided to geek him and grab the bounty.

+Quote Post
Earthwalker
post May 24 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 3,225

I have played an infected character. HMHVV 1, turned a human mage gum shoe into a vampire mage gum shoe. Of course as the character wasnt a proper shadowrunner and had the pacifist flaw it was greatly over powered and a fall into madness.

As a vampire he had all the passive powers. Increased strength, vision mods, hearing mods and regeration. Of course it worked like shifter PC regen so only a number of boxes back equally to my essence and no help with drain.

He later had to learn how to use the other powers and for that matter he had to learn what powers he had.

He was researching a cure for his problem as needing to feed off the life force of others and being a pacifist dont go well together.

Of course he wasnt getting far and his dedicated magical group would see to it he wouldnt fall to less then 2 essense and turn into a monster, they were mainly going to do this by chopping him up into little bits, ahhh its nice to have friends.

+Quote Post
Krazy
post May 24 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,200

I GMed a ghoul once, we had a lot of fun hiding it from the other PC's they just thought he was a slightly odd adept. untill they got captured and their captors removed his mask. but by then they trusted him, and kept him around. he was alot of fun.

+Quote Post
Mordrid Soud
post May 24 2005, 03:39 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 6,248

i have gm'd where i allowed ghouls (no takers on it though), vamps, and were's. however, i completely revamped the vamps and weres to make them a bit more balanced. i got alot of inspiration from underworld. point wise they each cost 40 to take. i also made sure the players understood that while they had some niftey powers and abillities that there were certain corps that would be interested in them as far as testing was concearned, along with local security agancies. anyways, it was a bit more work for me with all of the planning and subplot development, but it was worth it in the end.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post May 24 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

I voted drop bears, but only because I have never played nor allowed to be played an infected person.

I don't have a problem with it, I just will not bring it up before my players do.

+Quote Post
Garland
post May 24 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

That only explains one of the drop bear votes. I want explanations from the others.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post May 24 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I let players start out as ghouls, and allow them to become infected during the course of a campaign, and continue to play their characters. How they deal with being Infected...well, I don't make 'em red shirts, but it's something they do have to deal with continually, if only from a food perspective.

+Quote Post
hermit
post May 24 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #11

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Personally, I would not play a ghoul, ever (at least as a staring character, and I'd be pissed if a GM would railroad my character into becoming one because he thinks it's cool). I could imagine a Vampire though, if the character is somewhat original (I have an old idea for a Vampire character I never got to play I might be able to use - that'd be a adept mage/face character), since the idea would actually work with 2064 adept powers.

We have had shifters, though. A Tiger shaman character, to be precise. Not a problem really, though, with Companion rules.

Mordrid, what were you referring to with 'weres'? Shifters? Because shifters work completely different from a WoD werewolf.

+Quote Post
Mortax
post May 24 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

I'm confused as to how you can have vampires as redshirts, they are a bit tougher to kill than that. Though I will admit people knowing you are a vampire is putting a big targeting dot on your head.

+Quote Post
Mortax
post May 24 2005, 06:37 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Garland)
That only explains one of the drop bear votes. I want explanations from the others.

Who knows, I just put that there as a joke. ;)

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post May 24 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,110

QUOTE (Mortax)
how they play with others.

not well, I'd wager.

+Quote Post
Mortax
post May 24 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

You would be surprised.
We've had a ghoul that got along well with everyone. Untill Winternight killed him.

Mortax did well with the running groups he was in, hell most of them never knew he was a vampire.

My dzoonoqua got along well, but there was another one in the group, as well as a pc posessed by a powerful air elemental. And we were working for Winternight. :-)

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post May 24 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

"Cannibals are more polite than civilized men, for cannibals know more serious consequences should they give offense."

+Quote Post
Mortax
post May 24 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

LMAO!!!!
I love it. That's going on my quote board!

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post May 24 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

I have two infected characters, though they're out-and-out villainous. It's not that the idea of the noble monster fighting his instincts and nature doesn't appeal to me, so much that an idea for a particularly interesting one never actually manifested and demanded I give it life as a character. Plus, frankly, Martin DeVreis and Dark Father were decent enough examples of this, and without a sufficiently badass and unique character basis, I'd probably end up subconsciously borrowing from those two and thus ending up unfulfilled.

My HMHVV-infected characters are...

Twilight (Human Male Vampire)
Twilight was a frail child with low self-esteem, afflicted with albinism, a genetic trait that made him even less physically hardy and more prone to getting attention (and he never tended to get attention of a positive sort). He fell in with a bad crowd, got mixed up in a cult, and ended up learning the basics of magic from a free Shadow spirit. Killed his parents ritualistically, stole their car. His actions lead to the discovery of the gang/cult and the destruction of the spirit.

He developed his magical abilities while on the run, and by the time things had blown over he was a magician of some power, with a knowledge of certain darker techniques (read: blood magic). As someone with little compunction (and a growing interest/compulsion) toward killing, he did well for himself as a hitmage. He was always drawn in by the idea of the strength of vampires, and altered his appearance (fixed hand razors, cyberfangs) over time, in addition to picking up some boosted reflexes, all designed to make him more fearsome in appearance and dangerous.

He was contracted to kill a target who turned out to be the pawn of a vampire. On a yacht in Puget Sound, the vampire caught up with him and drained him to the point of death. He fell into the waters and sunk, his newly infected state allowing him to enter an anaerobic torpor that saved him from drowning-related asphyxia. When his employers got around to retrieving his "corpse" for cyberware/magical gear salvage, he awoke and fed on the retrieval crew. He then hunted down the vampire that turned him and slew them with his newfound powers, in addition to completing his original job. Knowing the value of a person with his abilities, his employers overlooked the loss of the salvage crew and put him on indefinite retainer. They also preserved his secret.

Twilight is a powerful magician, a follower of a twisted hermetic tradition steeped in Nazi mythological symbolism and philosophies, one that is perhaps unique, the teacher of it long since destroyed or banished to the dark shadows of the metaplanes from where it originated. His craving for blood, his expanding capacities for its use in magic, and his job as an assassin all serve to strengthen and bolster one-another. Always a sociopath, his infection has driven him over the edge into psychopathic behavior, and his physical and magical need for blood underly an underlying psychological compulsion to kill others, to reinforce his own eternally fragile concept of self-worth and empowerment. He's living the dream life of a serial killer; gain real and tangible power for your misdeeds, and get paid well for them.

Cain(Human Male Ghoul)
Cain was a skilled master of getting places other people didn't want him, and ferreting out information and goods from such places, typically at the behest of well-paying employers. His adept abilities followed the Invisible Way, and he had an unfortunately-outcomed habit of stalking about the Redmond Barrens, getting in touch with his Way by passing invisibly through the dark places at the fringe of civilization, observing undetectably from the deeper shadows within.

One day, for a reason he doesn't really consider anymore, his stealth abilities were insufficient and he was beset by a pack of feral ghouls. He managed to kill them all, but he was grievously wounded. Well-meaning squatters took him in and tended to him, but without the advanced interferons of a major metropolitan medical center, he was doomed. He started to show signs of the change within two weeks, and was cast out in the throes of it. The first few weeks of his new life were a nightmare of pain and feeding, barely surviving as his mind eroded and his flesh reshaped itself.

Reborn as a ghoul, Cain had lost a great deal of his sanity and sentience. Not quite feral, like his ghoul attackers, Cain retained enough cunning and acuity to preserve his magical abilities, though his Way was as twisted by the change as his mind and body. He became a hunter and stalker, feeding off of the slow, the frail, the unwary. Gorging himself far beyond his relatively minor needs, and relying on fresh kills rather than stolen or discarded parts, he grew tremendously strong both in body and in magic. As his twisted abilities possessed, he was further reshaped.

His killing hands became razor-sharp claws and teeth of keratin and bone, and his blind eyes glowed with a deep red light that allowed him to sense the body heat of his prey, even though his otherwise-blind nature made him unable to read or discern fine mundane detail. His magic reshaped his limbs, changing proportions and muscle anchorings, further enhancing his strength and reflexes. He is now among the most dangerous Awakened predators in the Barrens, gifted with animal cunning, the powers of an advanced adept, and a dietary need for the flesh of the dead.

Twilight made the mistake of attempting to "capture" (probably kill, despite orders) another character of mine who possesses terrifying power. After a fairly epic battle, Twilight was stunned, reduced to a torpid state in a sustained vacuum, wrapped in two dozen layers of shrinkwrap, weighted with around a hundred kilograms of chains, and dropped in the middle of Puget Sound in the winter. Until someone comes to retrieve him, he's out of commission. Cain is pretty much still wandering, killing and eating people, picking up occasional bits of good karma and twisted way potency. I'm thinking some bony plates associated with Mystic Armor might be a good choice for his next Potency-derived power point.

+Quote Post
Tinman
post May 24 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 7,060

I noticed that a lot of the infected PC's are magically active. Is that a result of the disease or just player preference? Anyone ever play an unawakened HMHVV carrier?

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post May 24 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

Drop bears are a marvellous way to get rid of munchkins.
Take my example:
"My uber-awesome PC has a Longbow +3 due to the fact that he trained as a preist of Bob but secretly worshipped Cthulu, and he can't be hit by any weapon that's not made out of cat fur, and..."
POW!

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post May 25 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Tinman @ May 24 2005, 08:58 PM)
I noticed that a lot of the infected PC's are magically active. Is that a result of the disease or just player preference? Anyone ever play an unawakened HMHVV carrier?

linkey

Basically, a higher percentage of the Infected are Awakened->meaning they have are adepts, aspected or full magicians, rather than access to paranormal powers or dual naturedness, etc. This might be due to a feeding preference on magicians, and it might be due to the effects of the retrovirus. Some strains decimate magical ability, others decimate intelligence, either of which can affect the Infected's use of magic.

+Quote Post
Mortax
post May 25 2005, 02:43 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

I think I remember reading ALL wendigos are shamans. Also, some char are not awakend until after infection.

My dzoonoqua was a street sam before infection (grumbles at loss of all that wear.) So yes, I've played a non awakend char.

Hmmm, does this mean you get to be a shamen without paying for it if you are an ork who gets drained by a vamp?

+Quote Post
Mortax
post May 25 2005, 02:44 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
Drop bears are a marvellous way to get rid of munchkins.
Take my example:
"My uber-awesome PC has a Longbow +3 due to the fact that he trained as a preist of Bob but secretly worshipped Cthulu, and he can't be hit by any weapon that's not made out of cat fur, and..."
POW!

Hehehehe,
Thank you SpasticTeapot, that made me smile very much.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post May 25 2005, 02:48 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I played a recently-made vampire on one of the Forum games (on the old forums), Blue Flu. But we used Bull's rules. Also, we started out as vampires for "free", but didn't even have the normal 3 points of starting abilities that Bull's vampires start out with. It was a fun game, but it didn't last long enough for him to buy any vampiric abilities - he was more or less the equivalent of a normal human with an allergy to sunlight and a need for blood/Essense.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 25 2005, 03:54 AM
Post #25

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

We have had two vamp characters in our game (one made the other). They actually worked out pretty well. They cost 30 BP to start, and we rolled randomly to see if they got any magical abilities. 1 on D6 was full mage 2 on 2d6 was aspected/adept, 3-6 was nothing.

After that, they add their essence to one phys attribute, but they have to make an essence test to see how much control of themselves they have. Basically ranging from mindless feeding machine, to in full control. Starting target number was 6 (the character that was turned almost didn't make it actually).

After that they can build up more powers like on Bull's page (good stuff there). But every time they do, they have to make more and more tests against higher numbers in order to stay in control and not become some megolomaniac, or rampaging monster. Makes the others kind of warry.

Also, the regeneration power isn't that bad. We added in one other part for vamps that every time they take a deadly wound, they lose a point of essence, so if they keep dropping, they get weaker, and hungrier. If they get down to 2 points, they need to feed. If they get down to 1, they go into a frenzy.

It's been fun so far!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:57 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.