Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ranged Combat, the SR3R way
Wounded Ronin
post Feb 21 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #301

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,383

The problem with dual wielding weapons is that you really can't aim them in an appropriate manner. Just hit them with some truly ginormous to hit penalty which represents you crapping all over Using Firearms 101.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 21 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #302

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Using Firearms 101 doesn't involve you having a limited simsense rig helping you aim.

~J

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 22 2007, 02:35 PM
Post #303

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Currently the penalty is +2 to each weapon. However, as you're aware, with ambidexterity, that can be reduced to 0. So are you suggesting that the initial penalty be increased, or that the ambidexterity bonus be decreased?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 22 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #304

Manus Celer Dei

That the ability for ambidexterity to offset the entire penalty be decreased, whether by increasing the initial penalty or decreasing the ambidexterity offset (or possibly eliminating its applicability to ranged combat).

I first need to figure out what's happening to two-weapon combat in melee, but my initial inclination is to cut Ambidexterity down into two levels, costing 3 and 6 points respectively, that each offer -1 to the penalty.

~J

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Feb 22 2007, 03:57 PM
Post #305

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Am I missing the point here? Ambidexterity isn't a problem, why tamper with it? Anyone spending 8 points on an edge should expect a solid bonus, it's nice and balanced.

And from my understanding of the 'limited simsense', it's limited in that it can only read, not write. Ie: it's used to figure out where the gun is pointed so the crosshairs in your eye is focused on whatever the gun is pointed at. It doesn't aim the gun for you. That's why Smartlinks can't be used to fire 2 weapons at once. You only have 1 set of crosshairs in your eyes (and your eyes can only focus on 1 object at a time).

That's why it should be possible to use the Smartlink while wielding 2 weapons if you're only aiming with 1, and using the other to lay some suppressive fire.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 22 2007, 04:28 PM
Post #306

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Am I missing the point here? Ambidexterity isn't a problem, why tamper with it? Anyone spending 8 points on an edge should expect a solid bonus, it's nice and balanced.

Ambidexterity (probably) isn't a problem, and two smartlinks aren't a problem, but when used together, it's a problem. Additionally, the ambidexterity rules would seem to be a little unrealistic. So I would agree, if we can make ambidexterity and two-weapon firing more realistic AND bring in a cool feature (two smartlinks), that would probably be a good move.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Feb 23 2007, 06:51 AM
Post #307

Neophyte Runner

But using 2 SmartLinks doesn't make sense. The cross-hairs would be 3-dimensional, requiring 2 eyes to focus on a per-object basis. The best you could hope for is if you're shooting at the same target, and personally, I don't think it's unbalancing to allow the smartlink bonus when pointing 2 weapons at the same target. Ambidexterity is still pretty much 8 points to get a -2TN. Nothing unbalanced there.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Feb 23 2007, 08:31 AM
Post #308

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Sphynx)

And from my understanding of the 'limited simsense', it's limited in that it can only read, not write. Ie: it's used to figure out where the gun is pointed so the crosshairs in your eye is focused on whatever the gun is pointed at. It doesn't aim the gun for you. That's why Smartlinks can't be used to fire 2 weapons at once. You only have 1 set of crosshairs in your eyes (and your eyes can only focus on 1 object at a time).

That's why it should be possible to use the Smartlink while wielding 2 weapons if you're only aiming with 1, and using the other to lay some suppressive fire.

But -2 TN is *very* powerful. One thing about SR3 is that you really, really don't carelessly dispense TN bonuses. The rules caution that Aptitude must NOT be allowed on combat skills. If -1 is verboten, why would we want to let a character get -2 AND get a bonus that applies not only to firearms but also to melee?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 23 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #309

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

if using two smartlinks doesn't make sense, then neither does ambidexterity. if ambidexterity makes sense, then two smartlinks make sense.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Feb 23 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #310

Neophyte Runner

Ronin, ambidex doesn't give any bonuses. It only offsets a negative modifier. There is a huge difference.

mfb, you're right, ambidexterity really shouldn't be a factor in firearm usage. Doesn't take someone ambidextrous to shot at the same target with 2 guns, that just takes practice. And shooting at different targets is a perception problem, not an ambidextrous problem. Might make more sense to use a rule like this:

If shooting at the same target with 2 weapons, you suffer a -2 for each weapon. Every 2 levels of lowest skill rating in the firearms being used, can reduce that penalty by 1 per-weapon, requiring a skill of 8 to offset the negatives entirely.

If shooting at seperate targets, you recieve a -6 to the secondary target. By concentrating less on the primary target you can reduce the penalty to the secondary target as you increase the penalty on the primary up to a -3 on each target. The maximum anyone can raise/lower the penalty is by 1 for every 2 levels of lowest skill rating in the weapons being used.

That kinda ruling would make the most sense I think.... if you're going for more realism anyways.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 23 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #311

QUOTE (mfb)
if using two smartlinks doesn't make sense, then neither does ambidexterity. if ambidexterity makes sense, then two smartlinks make sense.

Are you asking why allow the -2 that the smartlink provides, but not the -2 ambidexterity allows? Are you asking from a game balance perspective or a realism perspective?

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with two-weapon shooting. From a realism perspective, I for one can't comment beyond what I've seen in the movies (like Boondock Saints!) From a game balance perspective, the advantage of allowing dual smartlinks and not ambidexterity (or balancing the two together more) is primarily color. Firing to cybernetically controlled guns is awesome.

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Feb 24 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #312

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

Shall we put this in perspective, we've talked about how much extra damage can be done with dual firearms. Yes. It's certailnly more effective than using one of the same firearm in the hands of a skilled user.

Let's define skilled user though. First of all, we'll assume this gunbunny has a quickness of 6 let's go with Ambidexterity at full, which costs us 8 bp. We'll need a relative firearm skill for it, so we choose pistols at 6. That's up to 14 points (expensive), not including the high quickness. This allows a character to fire more rapidly, with no negative penalties, other than stacking recoil.

Now, I'd say that the damage from an assault rifle burst or autofire would equal or exceed the damage of two pistols, as well as having a much better range among other things, and being able to use smartlinks, lasersights, scopes, whatever. We'll still take a skill in pistols, for a side-arm, but when we want to kill a whole bunch of people we bring the assault rifle.

So 6 + 6 Bp for Assault rifles and pistols at 6, or 6 + 8 for being restricted to pistols, but carrying two when you need to lay into some-one in combat.

So I don't think it's really a balance issue, although I would like to add that using dual SMG's should some-how be more difficult than two pistols.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 24 2007, 03:57 PM
Post #313

Firing two pistols will generally cause more damage than a single assault rifle in my experience (due to how quickly it wears down the target's combat pool). If you applied burst fire rules to dual-wielding pistols, that would solve the problem, however.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 27 2007, 01:45 AM
Post #314

Manus Celer Dei

8) Grenades vanish into thin air

Take a grenade. Throw and/or shoot it at a target. Get no successes, but don't botch.

What happens to the grenade?

~J

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 27 2007, 02:54 AM
Post #315

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
What happens to the grenade?

No skill reduction in scatter. Maximum scatter result if you want a bigger penalty.

It's easy to throw something "roughly that way" and the lack of a critical failure means you didn't throw the pin or get an automatic rebound, but the lack of any successes means that the bounce and detonation were completely uncontrolled.

I don't suggest using the maximum scatter idea, that would encourage the skill 1 PC to close his eyes and try a called shot against his own left little toe so the grenade will scatter safely (well, safer) away.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 27 2007, 03:18 AM
Post #316

Manus Celer Dei

Here's a suggestion (going along with yours): since we're using the explosives-stage-based-on-Power rules, we make 1 success subtract the base amount of scatter, and no successes be, as you say, flat Scatter. If that results in excessively tight grenade placement, switch to +1d6 Scatter on a miss.

Thoughts?

~J

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Mar 27 2007, 04:49 AM
Post #317

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

What's wrong with the current scatter rules? I really like them.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Mar 27 2007, 06:21 AM
Post #318

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Platinum)
What's wrong with the current scatter rules? I really like them.

Once I had an entire group of players bitch at me after the scatter roll determined that a grenade thrown down a staircase bounced back up the staircase at them. Not saying I agree with them, necessarily, but that really made a lot of people go into WTF mode.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 27 2007, 10:12 AM
Post #319

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Platinum)
What's wrong with the current scatter rules?

They totally fail to handle an unsuccessful, non-botching attack.

~J

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Mar 27 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #320

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

Isn't a failed unbotched roll play you that you just throw, and don't reduce the scatter be enough?

If you get 8 scatter an 1 success, you are close, but not exact... therefore the power gets reduced. the direction is random so it is realistic.

How is this failing? You can't really increase or decrease the power of the grenade based on a throw, only by where it lands. How well you throw depends on successes.

Does anyone else think nades are broken?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 27 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #321

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Platinum)
If you get 8 scatter an 1 success, you are close, but not exact... therefore the power gets reduced. the direction is random so it is realistic.

But if you get zero successes? Where does the grenade go?

The direction being random isn't realistic, it's just easier.

~J

+Quote Post
Crossfire
post Mar 27 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #322

Target

Member No.: 8,532

Have you ever seen an adept with the "throwing mastery" power throwing 'nades at people, doing dmg for the hit itself and then explode? What happens to the scatter?

Peace!

Crossfire

P.S. What about grenade dmg? Using the optional Fields of fire rules or standard dmg rules depending on successes? What does 3rd edition says about it?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Mar 27 2007, 03:06 PM
Post #323

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Crossfire)
Have you ever seen an adept with the "throwing mastery" power throwing 'nades at people, doing dmg for the hit itself and then explode? What happens to the scatter?

Peace!

Crossfire

P.S. What about grenade dmg? Using the optional Fields of fire rules or standard dmg rules depending on successes? What does 3rd edition says about it?

Wow, I was just talking about this exact issue with one of my players last night.
It was in the context of 4th edition, but in this case I don't think it makes a difference.

I said that after the throwing test was made the player could divide her successes into two piles, one for throwing damage and one to reduce grenade scatter. We would resolve "normally" from there.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 27 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #324

Manus Celer Dei

I'm not sure what I'd do with that. I guess we should probably have rules for it—my inclination is to insist that all successes go to damage, so the grenade will get full scatter afterwards. Though I don't think it makes sense, I could be open to a compelling argument that the adept should be able to declare before throwing how many successes go where.

Edit: wow, Moon-Hawk is generous :)

As for damage, the official SR3R rule for staging explosives is the formerly optional SR3 rule that dice equal to 1/2 Power at target's location are rolled against TN 4 for staging up. That still leaves the question of whether the staging should act like melee, ranged, or a third way—my inclination is to use ranged staging.

~J

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 27 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #325

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Moon-Hawk's ruling makes sense to me, except I'd split the dice before the roll. If the adept focuses on hitting the target hard with the grenade, then there is the risk of completely overpowering and throwing too early so that it bounces a lot. If the adept primarily focuses on getting the timing right, that's less dice on the impact damage.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.