IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reloading in Combat, Have you?
If your character uses a firearm of some type, how often do you reload?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 110
Guests cannot vote 
Crimson Jack
post May 27 2005, 01:31 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,712

I can't say that I've seen a mid-combat encounter firearm reload in a while. Which leads me to ask how common this is, if at all.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 27 2005, 01:33 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Thanks to SR's insane level of efficiency often unreasonable magazine capacities, I have never reloaded in combat. Often, not even through an entire run.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post May 27 2005, 01:41 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

Rarely is there a combat where I empty a weapon and need to reload or switch.

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 27 2005, 02:44 AM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I run by the motto "Conserve ammo". Therefore I do not find myself reloading in combat often(sometimes it is more of a case of an ammo change - from EX-EX to AP).

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post May 27 2005, 02:44 AM
Post #5

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

In my games with the burst fire eating rounds and allll the vision mods/movement/cover penalties it is not uncommon for my players to need to reload. I've had the same player reload multiple times even.

+Quote Post
Krazy
post May 27 2005, 02:51 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,200

It depends a lot on the char, the pistol only guys seem to have to reload more (and when the troll reloaded the belt fed we knew things were bad) I tend to do ammo changes, (APDS to HP or back) but not that often

+Quote Post
Raygun
post May 27 2005, 02:55 AM
Post #7

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

I have found occasion to reload during combat several times. Though it has mostly occurred during more military-type operations, when autofire, as well as situational and environmental modifiers that a lot of groups tend to leave out for simplicity's sake, are used liberally.

But in the grand scheme of my shadowrunning experience, it does happen very rarely.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 27 2005, 03:42 AM
Post #8

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

As I tend to run more towards pistols when I play a character that's primarily firearms, I tend to go wiot hextended clips whenever possible. The scary thing was, I was playing a character with an assualt shotgun (the Ensfield I think) the other day, with the drum of shells (50 rnds), and was in such a nasty fight, Ialsmot did have to reload. I din't expect to ever have to ,s oit wasn't like I was carrying a second drum, or even extra shells!

+Quote Post
mmu1
post May 27 2005, 03:50 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

I very rarely reload during actual combat - when I do, it's usually to swap ammo types rather than because I'm out, although I think I do run out once in a great while when using an AR on burst fire.

More frequently, I swap a partially full mag for a new one during a lull in combat just to be on the safe side.

+Quote Post
Trax
post May 27 2005, 04:16 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

I always switch a partially full mag with a fresh one after every fight. And if Iave time I reload those mags when the waiting is longer.

+Quote Post
Critias
post May 27 2005, 06:05 AM
Post #11

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

By the time you've got a 9+ in any given (much less 2-3) firearm skill, it's rare for a baddie to survive more than a single action (two simple actions is about the worst it's taken me). The only time most of those shots will add up to more ammo than a given magazine carries is if, in the course of a single encounter, you're shooting at more than 8-10 bad guys. If you're attacked, as a single shooter-type, by more than 8-10 bad guys, you won't survive to empty the magazine.

As such, no. Reloading isn't much of an issue. If there are enough bad guys to soak up a standard SMG magazine, there are enough bad guys to shoot you head by way of sheer numbers.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 27 2005, 06:59 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

If there's a lull, I reload. That said, I've never fired enough rounds during a single combat to necessitate reloading.

The fact that in recent times I've mostly been playing Riggers whose weapons typically have at least a hundred rounds attached doesn't hurt, though.

~J

+Quote Post
noname_hero
post May 27 2005, 09:04 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 2,030

It is extremely rare for my characters to reload during a combat. Of course, I tend to play mages, and that means I don't rely on firearms that much, but even other character types rarely have to reload in our games. Most characters replace a partially-spent clip with a full one after every combat, and runners rarely get into prolonged firefights.

The only time I can recall having an empty magazine during a combat was when my rigger fired all 5 rounds from his Remington 950 - and even then I didn't waste time with reloading, he pulled out his Predator...

I'd say that as a general rule, SR rules and ammo capacities are such that smart runners are quite likely to start running out of enemies, or running away, or running out of health boxes long before their clips run out of bullets.

+Quote Post
Earthwalker
post May 27 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 3,225

I had one character with a CMDT that seemed to need to reload alot in combat. Most characters tho its not much of a problem.

+Quote Post
Demosthenes
post May 27 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,850

Once upon a time, I reloaded my gun fairly frequently in combat...

Of course, that was back in SR2, and I was playing a lightly wired street-sam.
Using a Defiance T-250, which iirc, had a 5-round internal magazine...

+Quote Post
Gambitt
post May 27 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 3,425

QUOTE (earthwalker)
I had one character with a CMDT that seemed to need to reload alot in combat. Most characters tho its not much of a problem.

Aye atari always was emptying that puppy... dont think you could fire more than 3 bursts before it was dry.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 27 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ May 27 2005, 01:31 AM)
I can't say that I've seen a mid-combat encounter firearm reload in a while.  Which leads me to ask how common this is, if at all.

About every third or fourth combat I seem to need to reload. Generally, the combat's over before I'm out of ammo.

However, I tend to use a full auto fire from weapons capable of it, usually for suppressive fire, so I can burn through clips quickly. 10 rounds heading down-range empties even SR clips quickly. So, in the combats where I'm using FA weapons (about every third or fourth combat), I do tend to need to reload.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post May 27 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #18

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Hmm... I'm a big believer in making combat a little tougher, so there are more misses with my people apparently, but even then, my group rarely reloads.

They do reload when changing ammo types, laying down obscene amounts of suppressive fire/full auto or when, for character reasons, they use a weapon with a small ammunition capacity (revolvers or even *gasp* crossbows).

+Quote Post
Squinky
post May 27 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

I think the "coolest" time I've ever had to reload in combat ( I had a revolver and move by wire) I fired my last round at an ork (offed him) and then casualy walked towards two other orks during reloading and then capped them both in the head....He was really fast...and apparently, I am really cheesy...

But, even with a revolver, if I took aimed shots combat would usauly end before I used all six rounds. Then after every combat you reload...

+Quote Post
Lindt
post May 27 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #20

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

I have had a PC reload 2 different guns in the same fire fight. But then an HVAR burns ammo like no ones busniess, and a hold out only has 4 shots...

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post May 27 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,086

two guns, 15 round clips.. about one combat in four I have to reload. Specialization 10, most people don't survive more than one hit, but every so often there's someone/something that does. Usually reload in combat lulls though -- depends on how many rounds were expended.

That being said, it's virtually never single shooter against mob reloading. Usually it's down to one or two vs one -- or no extra ammo anyway, so melee. Although that only happens rarely, and usually they don't have weapons.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post May 27 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

I try to get by without ever having to shoot. It almost always works out that I dont have to reload. I also try to use incapacitation rather than killing. Fewer enemies later.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 27 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Realistic RoFs + playing smart + enforcing all the TN modifiers = lots of reloading. Severely reducing the amount of Recoil Compensation while still keeping shooting fast a valid tactic in CQB also helps.

+Quote Post
Edward
post May 27 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I don’t think my current character ever had to reload but some have in the past,

A SPAZ using Sharman I played had to a couple of times I think but not very often.

The only times recently I have seen a need to reload was when we where in the arcology and when a blood mage put a high force barrier spell up (most of the group emptied there clips bringing it down).

Most fights I see don’t last long enough to go for cover (although I normally take some behind a drone if I can). Those that do normally don’t stay a shootout; the party will usually retreat or use grenades to solve the problem. Also when dealing with gangs or other enemies with a numbers advantage we tend to go for aria effect spells or grenades to bring down there numbers rather than shoot each one individually so even those fights don’t last long.

This is not to say we carry lots of grenades, just one or two, or an under barrel launcher full.

Edward

+Quote Post
Shadow
post May 27 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #25

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

If combat is going to be harsh and I know it I pack an M-23 with a 40 round mag. I have had to reload it several times. Usually cause I have a penchant for full auto fire.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.