IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Preview in Game Trade Magazine, More is revealed...
Dakhran the Dark
post Jun 2 2005, 02:39 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 80

June's issue of Game Trade Magazine has a one-page preview article by Rob Boyle and Steve Kenson, which gives some new details not covered by the FAQs...
  • Rule of One (now called a Glitch) is triggered more frequently, and may be triggered even when successful.
  • Rule of Six no longer applies, except when you are using the new Edge attribute.
  • A new type of test, Extended Tests, has been added.
  • Along with the Edge attribute, a new Resonance attribute has been added for "technomancer" characters.
  • Combat turns are now 6 seconds long.
I'm still in the "wait and see" camp, which is starting to look kind of empty...and I'm thinking of striking the tent and moving when I see advertisements use phrases like this:
You’d have to be whacked, or a serious trog, to pass up on a righteous opportunity like this!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 2 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #2

Guests

Kenson...

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Jun 2 2005, 03:18 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

Our intention is to make the Matrix something all
characters in Shadowrun use on a regular basis, as
well as bring deckers (now hackers) out of their mothers’
basements
and into the streets with the rest of the
shadowrunning team.

Ooohh, thats just cold hearted. :P

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jun 2 2005, 03:56 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Kenson...

It sounds like you're about to fight a manly duel of rage with him, dude.

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Jun 2 2005, 04:00 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

I have to wonder how far will FanPro get after shooting themselves in both feet with this crap.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 2 2005, 04:12 AM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Jun 1 2005, 09:47 PM)
Kenson...

It sounds like you're about to fight a manly duel of rage with him, dude.

Probably because my first thoughts were of this post.
QUOTE (Steve Kenson)
Ah, Crimson (may I call you Crimson?), fear not. To say I am on the "design team" for SR4 is, well, something of an overstatement. The whole of my contribution was attending a few meetings and offering a couple suggestions. I'm not writing a single word of SR4, and I've got practically nothing to do with it otherwise, so you can rest easy there. Shadowrun is "safe" from me.

Unless someone is just mocking me now.

This is a bad joke... This is all a bad joke...

Can't sleep... Clown'll eat me... Can't sleep... Clown'll eat me...

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Jun 2 2005, 04:36 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

There are no words.

+Quote Post
Nerbert
post Jun 2 2005, 04:40 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,280

Glitches triggered more frequently? That'll mix things up

Well at least that covers one thing Edge will be good for.

Extended Tests are no surprise. Probably for things like athletics.

More Attributes? Why are they calling them all "Attributes" they clearly don't work anything like Str Quick etc.

I wonder if they're restructuring the action system at all? Instead of two or three actions, only one? Only two? My guess is two simple actions per turn or one complex action.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 2 2005, 04:57 AM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (Wireknight)
There are no words.

Sure there are.

This is a bad joke... This is all a bad joke...

Can't sleep... Clown'll eat me... Can't sleep... Clown'll eat me...

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jun 2 2005, 05:22 AM
Post #10

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Keep the personal attacks off the board, please.

Bull

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jun 2 2005, 05:24 AM
Post #11

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Nerbert)

Well at least that covers one thing Edge will be good for.

Extended Tests are no surprise. Probably for things like athletics.

More Attributes? Why are they calling them all "Attributes" they clearly don't work anything like Str Quick etc.

I wonder if they're restructuring the action system at all? Instead of two or three actions, only one? Only two? My guess is two simple actions per turn or one complex action.

Glitches: Well, consdierng that I've seen the Rule of Ones come up a grand total of twice in all my years of playing and GMing... I'm looking forward to this.

Attributes: the only new "attributes" that doesn't function exactly like the current Attributes will be Edge and Magic. The other new ones just break up old skills into more logical categories.

Bull

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 2 2005, 05:25 AM
Post #12

Guests

n/m

This post has been edited by Crimsondude 2.0: Jun 2 2005, 05:32 AM

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 2 2005, 05:29 AM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Bull)
Attributes: the only new "attributes" that doesn't function exactly like the current Attributes will be Edge and Magic.

So Resonance acts exactly like a current attribute?

~J

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 2 2005, 05:33 AM
Post #14

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Rule of One (now called a Glitch) is triggered more frequently, and may be triggered even when successful.

Wow, his will make explosive ammunition much more fun to fire ... seeing as how your gun in 2070 apparently suddenly starts to blow in your face much more frequently and all, even if yiou handle it the same way and with the same skill as before. Also, expect more runners to cut themselves in half with monowire whips when using them, or throwing the pin and holding the grenade .... I dunno, but have all runners become clumsy smurfs in between 2065-2070, or will glitches not be as catastrophic as rule-of-one fumbles were?

Combat turns are now 6 seconds long.

Now there's good news. At least *something*.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 2 2005, 05:36 AM
Post #15

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Sounds that way.

I've never heard of streamlining by adding like four attributes before. What a totally righteous idea.

+Quote Post
Nerbert
post Jun 2 2005, 05:34 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,280

I guess that could make sense. They could use it instead of Intelligence or whatever it is now for Hacking. Kind of like a Technomancer 6th sense? If thats true, it'd make them more Karma intensive in the long run.

And Bull, did you forget about Essence? Is it gone? Radically changed?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 2 2005, 05:41 AM
Post #17

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (hermit)

Now there's good news. At least *something*.

I...what?

Do you realize how insanely out of wack rates of fire/actions/movement rates are now, with a three-second combat round? Doubling the length of time covered by a round, unless the initiative system is completely new and different (to the point where people get at least twice the actions they used to, to keep it at least the same actions-per-second as before) just makes that worse.

Firing as fast as he can, your average-Reaction unagumented human will apparently need about a minute to empty the magazine of an average semi-auto pistol. That's retarded.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 2 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #18

Uncle Fisty

Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Nerbert)

at least one thing to look forward to!

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jun 2 2005, 06:58 AM
Post #19

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

I can't get that page to open, but based on what I'm seeing:
Rule of One (now called a Glitch) is triggered more frequently, and may be triggered even when successful. 

Mixed bag. While "Oops" might have been to rare under SR1-3, I'm somewhat worried that they may now be triggered too often. Besides which, as a GM, I used to fumble at least once per session, and always when I was rolling more than 3 dice.

Rule of Six no longer applies, except when you are using the new Edge attribute.

Is this all Edge is useful for? If so, then it's a pretty useless attribute.

A new type of test, Extended Tests, has been added.

Hold on a sec. Supposedly, the whole idea of simplifying the game is to get everything under one unified mechanic: attribute + skill. That's why they're getting rid of the silliness that is the open test, right? Now, we're coming up with a totally new test?

It's seeming increasingly like the promise of "Attribute + skill" is being broken. Which, to me at least, means the system isn't going to be any simpler than before. Dumbed down, perhaps, but not simpler.

Along with the Edge attribute, a new Resonance attribute has been added for "technomancer" characters.

I'm with Kage on this one. Yet another new attribute, with no doubt new rules for it. So, it's attribute + skill all the time! Except for Edge. And Reaction/Initiative. And Essence. And Magic. And Resonance. Yup, one mechanic to rule 'em all. :please:

Well, excepting the firing rate issue, 3 seconds always did seem a little short for me. But it wasn't horrible. I think this is what mfb might have meant by a fix for something that wasn't broken-- the 3 second turn wasn't hurting anything that I can see.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 2 2005, 07:15 AM
Post #20

Guests

I once toyed with the idea of suggesting 1 turn being 1 second...

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 2 2005, 07:22 AM
Post #21

Uncle Fisty

Mixed bag. While "Oops" might have been to rare under SR1-3, I'm somewhat worried that they may now be triggered too often. Besides which, as a GM, I used to fumble at least once per session, and always when I was rolling more than 3 dice.

I have seen two instances of the "rule of 1" since I started playing, about 8 years ago.

I'm looking forward to this, but I'm hoping that if it's a lot more common, ot's more along the lines of a glitch than the catastrophic failure we use it for now (in my game at least, ... when it happens)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jun 2 2005, 07:24 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I just hope its not a "if you roll more 1's than successes" kind of rule. Or if it is, they clearly indicate that a glitch isn't a catastrophic failure that will likely get you killed, which is what a lot of GMs seem to assume the current "Rule of 1" is supposed to mean.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 2 2005, 07:34 AM
Post #23

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Do you realize how insanely out of wack rates of fire/actions/movement rates are now, with a three-second combat round? Doubling the length of time covered by a round, unless the initiative system is completely new and different (to the point where people get at least twice the actions they used to, to keep it at least the same actions-per-second as before) just makes that worse.

Firing as fast as he can, your average-Reaction unagumented human will apparently need about a minute to empty the magazine of an average semi-auto pistol. That's retarded.

It's not just firing, it's also aiming and all that. A maximum autofire rule, like the one I once saw on BlackJack's page, might be in order, but really, your average empty-the-clip human isn't gonna hit anywhere near as precisely as the one-shot-one-hit SR ranged combat of now suggests. You know, in real life, people would actually *miss* when shooting at something, at least occasionally. Not so in SR. That has always bothered me.

So long as firing rates are adapted to be more realistic (and to allow Joe Sam to empty his clip in one combat turn if he really feels like it), a six-second combat turn is going to be much more sensible than a three-second turn.

I'm with Kage on this one. Yet another new attribute, with no doubt new rules for it. So, it's attribute + skill all the time! Except for Edge. And Reaction/Initiative. And Essence. And Magic. And Resonance. Yup, one mechanic to rule 'em all.

Maybe Resonance works for Otaku the same way Magic works for mages? that WOULD simplify things a great deal. It just evades using the actual magic attribute for Otaku-style netrunning, and being flamed to hell and back for insisting that Otaku ARE technomages, and not some wacky form of AI enhanced cyber characters.

Odds are, though, that Resonance will not be subject to power loss with essence loss.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jun 2 2005, 07:48 AM
Post #24

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
I just hope its not a "if you roll more 1's than successes" kind of rule. Or if it is, they clearly indicate that a glitch isn't a catastrophic failure that will likely get you killed, which is what a lot of GMs seem to assume the current "Rule of 1" is supposed to mean.

If ti can be triggered even if you the roll otherwise succeeds, it's pretty much got to work the way you describe. As to the second part of your question, I have no idea; but I'll grant that the rarity of glitches under SR3 might be what causes GMs to push their severity.
Maybe Resonance works for Otaku the same way Magic works for mages? that WOULD simplify things a great deal. It just evades using the actual magic attribute for Otaku-style netrunning, and being flamed to hell and back for insisting that Otaku ARE technomages, and not some wacky form of AI enhanced cyber characters.

That *still* leaves too many exceptions. I didn't even deal with the issue of Extended tests; which if they work in a similar way to oWoD, would require a third mechanic for all those situations. For a system that's supposed to only have one mechanic, they've sure got a lot of exceptions.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 2 2005, 07:52 AM
Post #25

Uncle Fisty

so... what the hell is an extended test?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.