Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Create Spells, Variants on Create Food
Panzergeist
post Jun 7 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,676

So I was looking through the spells, and when I saw the Create Food spell in MitS, it got me thinking. If you can create food out of nothing with a spell, you can create other stuff too. How about create RDX, or create Dikote, or create plutonium? Those are all single chemicals, much simpler than a full meal, which consists of many different chemicals unevenly mixed together. They may have more chemical energy, but that just means a higher drain code, and maybe multiple successes required. So as far as I can tell, there is nothing stopping me from creating a starting character from taking create plutonium, create uranium, create red mercury, create TNT, etc, and the nuclear weapons b/r skill, and a nuclear weapons shop, and using it to create my very own neutron bombs. Can someone please tell me if I'm missing something?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trax
post Jun 7 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

Yes, a death wish.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jun 7 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

As usual, someone is trying to consider magic entirely backwards. If you'll notice, the OR to affect objects with most spells has absolutely drek-all to do with chemical complexity. It is entirely dependant or conceptual complexity, which is based on how much an object is varied from a natural occurance or instinctual concept. Food and water are instinctual concepts for humans, because they are obvious, and the consequences of going without them are obvious.

If you want to make a less instinctual create spell, look at the lowest OR that could be used to describe food and compare that with the TN on the create food spell. Apply the same ratio between OR and TN for any other materials you wish to create.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 7 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #4

Running Target

You are missing the point. I accept that creating a brick of plutonium is harder than creating food. My point is that it is possible. And the OR of a homogenous block of material can't be too high, although since plutonium is a synthetic element, yo could rule that it would have a high OR. But once again, it's possible. Plus, it's not like there is any rush on creating a freaking atom bomb, so you could cast the spell over and over again if you wanted. Hence, the target number and drain are almost irrelevant.

It seems this could also be used to create valuable materials, earning easy money. Free spirits with the wealth power do essentially that. This would, however, negate the point of shadowrunning, if you could basically print money.

As far as I can tell, only arbitrary gamemaster fiat can stop me from eventually making an atom bomb with the help of magic. A GM could rule that a character can't start the game with such spells, and would have to design them himself. A GM could also rule that the nuclear weapons BR skill is not readilly learnable, although this seems doubtful, as pretty muc anything can be found on Shadowland.

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Jun 7 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,634

For a second, I thought this was an idea for a "Create Spell" spell.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 7 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #6

Running Target

That would be awesome.

+Quote Post
Frater Inominatu...
post Jun 7 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,316

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
It is entirely dependant or conceptual complexity, which is based on how much an object is varied from a natural occurance or instinctual concept. Food and water are instinctual concepts for humans, because they are obvious, and the consequences of going without them are obvious.

Uranium 236 is a naturally occuring, if extremely rare, material. For that matter, orichalcum is a naturally occuring material. If one is a physicist or a chemist these materials are well known and easily "conceptualized."
I do think the TNs would be extreme though.

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Jun 8 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

Give 'em a TN equal to half the atomic number of the "highest" element in the product, with extremely popular and well-researched (read: Create Food) spells having lower-than-normal TNs. Carbon would have a TN of 3, Uranium would have a TN of 119. Drain would be force(deadly plus five), so you'd likely just end up dead regardless.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 8 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #9

Running Target

That would certainly make it hard, although a really determined maged would eventually succeed. Looking at the periodic table, the heaviest essential element in food is Iodine, atomic number 53.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jun 8 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

First off, magic oesn't create something out of nothing. Different variants of the spell might handle it different ways, but essentially the material is being made out of energy. In this case, magical energy.

Create Food is more or less a manipulation version of a sustenance spell. There's no evidence that the "food" is anything we'd normally recognize as such (i.e. the internal
structure need not correspond to the external appearence or function). If the spell created a piece of fruit, you couldn't take the seeds from it and get the genetic information out of them, because it's not actually a piece of fruit. It's a construct containing nutritious materials in an edible package...possibly nothing more than a "charge" of sustaining energy.

While theoretically possible to design spells to create different substances, the possibility that those substances are valid for all purposes is slim. More advanced materials, especially magical, synthetic or radioactive, would be more difficult to design and create.

I'm not saying that it's /not/ possible to design a Create Iron spell, or anything like that. But I don't think SR spell design has reached the necessary level of advancement.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 8 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #11

Running Target

So if I read you correctly, what you're saying is I would instead make a "create fissile material" or "create fusible material" spell which would create a material that can substitute for any fissile/fusible element in nuclear reactions, but not share the chemical properties of that element? That actually sounds better.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jun 8 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Possibly. It would depend on whether or not the inherent property of the material was more or less complex than the material itself. It also depends on whether anything was actually "created."

In the case of a Create Water spell, did the spell convert magical energy to water, or use magical energy to gather water molecules together? Is it actually water, or is it something that looks and acts like water, but is actually just magical energy in a temporary liquid form that acts like water?

The question becomes, is it easier to create a single element (Create Water) or is it easier to create something that /acts/ like that element?

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 8 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Good point. Gathering up elements instead of creating them would make a big difference, and make it impossible to make plutonium and other synthetic elements. Of course, that still leaves open the possibility of using magic to make exotic explosives like RDX.

Anyway, it's just a thought experiment. I've done some pretty crazy things, but I have to draw the line here even if Grendel (my current GM) doesn't smack me upside the head for suggesting something so crazy. I using a cropdusting drone to spray a merc camp with cyanide gas, or using RDX to level a small skyscraper, is about as high as I can go on the destruction scale.

+Quote Post
Frater Inominatu...
post Jun 8 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Is it actually water, or is it something that looks and acts like water, but is actually just magical energy in a temporary liquid form that acts like water?

Whether the spell actually creates material or creates something that mimics the material seems irrelevant if the net effect is the same. Creating water, whether real or mimic, has the net effect of quenching thirst. Creating Semtex, real or mimic, has the net effect of being a highly explosive, maleable material. Using it should have the same results.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jun 8 2005, 01:01 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

The issue here I think is that there's really nothing stopping you from "create gold" which is natural. This is why I've removed "create" spells entirely from my games, saying that magic cannot permanently create anything. You can do a sustained spell like that, or you can have an instant spell that temporarily creates something (like toxic wave) but after a while this fades.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 8 2005, 01:01 AM
Post #16

Running Target

That's my take. I actually thought create food was just a non-canon spell someone had posted on the internet until I ran across it today. Although create RDX would be nice.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Jun 8 2005, 01:02 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

QUOTE (GunnerJ)
For a second, I thought this was an idea for a "Create Spell" spell.

Player: Okay, I'm gonna use my Create Spell spell to manabolt the troll running at me with the combat axe raised above his head.

Evil GM: You successfully create a spell. The air around you turns extremely hot and muggy as a mosquito bites you on your sweaty neck.

+Quote Post
Frater Inominatu...
post Jun 8 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (JaronK)
This is why I've removed "create" spells entirely from my games, saying that magic cannot permanently create anything.

JaronK

All matter is simply a specific order of energy. If the magic allows you to reorder energy to a desired pattern, why can't you make it permanent. After all, a healing spell is permanent. Why not food, iron, or plutonium?

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 8 2005, 01:15 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Because Shadowrun magic is extremely limited in function. That's my broad, cop-out answer.

+Quote Post
Frater Inominatu...
post Jun 8 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Fair enough, but, theoretically speaking...

Why would the heal spell be permanent and create "X" not?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jun 8 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Frater Inominatus)
QUOTE (JaronK @ Jun 7 2005, 09:01 PM)
This is why I've removed "create" spells entirely from my games, saying that magic cannot permanently create anything.

JaronK

All matter is simply a specific order of energy. If the magic allows you to reorder energy to a desired pattern, why can't you make it permanent. After all, a healing spell is permanent. Why not food, iron, or plutonium?

Because magical theory hasn't gotten there yet.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 8 2005, 01:33 AM
Post #22

Running Target

The create spell spell idea has gotten me thinking though. Maybe you could use divination to help design spells? Or a metamagic variant with divination as a prerequisite?

+Quote Post
Johnnycache
post Jun 8 2005, 02:49 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 7,405

create food is lame and out of flavor. I hate that spell. It's like, why didn't they just include "Magic circle against evil"

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jun 8 2005, 02:51 AM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Johnnycache)
why didn't they just include "Magic circle against evil"

Well, it was split into two spells that need to be cast together to get the full effect. Astral Barrier and Physical Barrier. Since in the Shadowrun setting, a circle of protection against evil would try to block everything, the developers decided it was better to divide the spell by plane.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 8 2005, 03:02 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Good and evil are vague concepts anyway. How about magic circle against annoying, or magic circle against assholes? Maybe a magic circle against dumbasses or jinxes, to protect you from the total ****up on your team.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.