Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Jun 8 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,897

Oh yeah.... except that the hacker looks like he's miming "Help, I'm trapped in a box!"

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 8 2005, 09:45 PM
Post #5

Guests

So... The same image we were treated to on March 15, only this time with tracer fire !!

[EDIT]
Oh, yeah. Different pattern on the street sam, subdermal display replaced with ungodly akward underarm spur. He's smaller, his feet are much smaller, and he has a different head angle. Didn't notice the lack of some of the flying vehicles. Dwarf's goggles changed.
[/EDIT]

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 8 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #6

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Okay. Here's what I take from it:

- edited out flying cars. Congrats.
- the character in those funky pink shorts is a dwarf and a 'Hacker'. Behold the Augmented Reality menu before him/her, and how he just hacks a lock AFTER HE OPENED IT. Also, notice the many gadgets s/he carries with him/her. One would likely be another Cyberdeck.
- the Troll is most certainly a mage, firing a manabolt. Duh.
- the Elf woman is very likely a (cheesy) adept. I take from that and the troll that, apparently, there're still different magical paths of sorts.
- the human character is a streetsam with a SMG and an implant weapon, and some funny device on his coat.
- the building they're breaking into (where laser pointers originate from) is labeled 'ZIC'. Does that signal Zeta-Imp-Chem is going to gain from the crash of 65, that maybe Eurocorps in general rise in influence when Japanocorps fall, gaining a more prominent role?
- the drone/VTOL in the background has Lone Star's insignia. Seems they still hold the contract for Seattle.
- demon rats have taken over from devil rats, apparently. Rats have fur again.
- the whole image is more along the lines of SR2's (legendary) cover than SR3's tarzan troll. Signifying a "back to the roots" feel the game is supposed to have? The whole image looks more Blade Runner than any SR cover before.

+Quote Post
shadow_scholar
post Jun 8 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,059

Here's what I gather:

The artist isn't someone who actually plays Shadowrun, or at least if they do, then they must be able to recite the entire character creation section from memory by now. What real group of Runners would stand right out in the open of a doorway with bullets whizzing by them? Not the kind that like to end their evening by going home rather than end up being fed from a tube. Nah, real Runners would have their backs against the walls on either side of the doorways, getting some gas or concussion grenades ready to toss in, instead of letting the extrememly short range ninja wannabe charge in first.

Still, the picture is decent. The tag on the wall is a nice touch, especially since it looks like actually good graff.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 8 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Makes me long for the sanity of the Cannon Companion cover.

~J

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Jun 8 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #9

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

The art itself isn't bad. Just what it says. Why can't the people who draw and write Shadowrun know anything about Shadowrun?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jun 8 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

What I don't understand is that if they were truly hoping to draw in a younger crowd, why do they insist on staying with the old, cartoony art? Especially on the cover of their primary product in the line?

They should have dished out the extra money to get a quality artist on the level of Bradstreet (stylistically if not him himself) to do the work, not sticking with the same old names and the same style of art that's both uninspiring and just plain goofy.

Aesthetics are important, dammit.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Jun 8 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

It definetly brings to mind the orginal SR cover. The scantily clad elf-ninja-chick just needs to be in the fore front of the scene ;)

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Jun 8 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #12

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

Heres another thing. They have books full of weapons and equipment to choose from. Yet the artist insist on making up their own crap. What gun is the sam using? What is all that crap hanging off the dwarf?

They draw it cause they think it looks cool. Not that it has ANYTHING to do with Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
SR4-WTF?
post Jun 8 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,427

You mean Timothy Bradstreet? Hehe, talk about giving ammo to people saying SR4 is actually just a straight nWoD rip-off. :)

I don't think that picture is nearly as cartoony as the SR3 cover. Looking at it there the pallette and feel seems a lot closer to the SR1 with only a slightly less pastel 80's feel.

I do agree about the awkward body position and postures just not jiving with my idea of people that habitually are able to walk away from firefights. It was bad enough before the tracer fire was in there.

Postscript: But still I come back to those thigh-high tights, even if she doesn't have "GLADD" and "Lambda" buttons pinned to her perky torso. :lick:

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 8 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)
You mean Timothy Bradstreet? Hehe, talk about giving ammo to people saying SR4 is actually just a straight nWoD rip-off. :)

You mean ignorantly, insofar as Bradstreet was doing art for SR throughout SR1 and into SR2?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 8 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #15

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, that implant weapon the sammie sports may well be a variation on the handblade listed in sr3 (p301, top left) alltho i allways envisioned it as being a normal knifedge that allowed the user do to a kind of open palm chop/strike but with a edge :silly:

that lone star in the back looks like a artist iterpetation of a t-bir or vtol, in fact the style of take off kinda reminds me of the osprey, only with jet engines rather then propellers.

and the sammie and the dwarf hacker looks like they are located to the side of the door itself (atleast the dwarf is, the sammie is so far back that he may be in the outer edge of the area visible thru the door).

im guessing that the flow of action may be this:

hacker crackes the lock.

door opens and the troll and the elf finds them selfs looks face to face with security or something else that was unexpected. the sammie was doing lookout for any passing lone star or similar and had his back turned.

basicly we are looking at a surprise kind of situation...

hmm, is that a smoking camera or gun mount in the corner of the building?

+Quote Post
SR4-WTF?
post Jun 8 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (SR4-WTF? @ Jun 8 2005, 04:40 PM)

You mean ignorantly, insofar as Bradstreet was doing art for SR throughout SR1 and into SR2?

Yes, I would consider both ignorant and silly any argument that Bradstreet doing the cover art meant that SR4 was nWoD rip-off, and not just because of his past SR work. But that has successfully stopped people before?

Postscript: I don't think he ever did any SR colour work though? Just B&W inks. It looks a lot like they tried to pull the cover out of the way-back machine, and old SR covers just don't jive with Bradstreets style.

+Quote Post
SR4-WTF?
post Jun 8 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
basicly we are looking at a surprise kind of situation...

Maybe that is why it feels awkward.

hmm, is that a smoking camera or gun mount in the corner of the building?

It sure looks what you'd get if you zapped a current day CC camera with a beam weapon. OMG Ares finally got their portable laser to market! :)

Or they could have shot it or hit it with some sort of explosive. Or maybe that grey upside down paperclip holder floating above it is actually a small jet propelled drone that roasted the camera with it's exhast?

I would have liked to have seen busted camera parts instead of it just out and out missing. But still a thwarted security camera is a nice detail to toss in, even if outright destruction is a bit thugish.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 8 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)
Yes, I would consider both ignorant and silly any argument that Bradstreet doing the cover art meant that SR4 was nWoD rip-off, and not just because of his past SR work. But that has successfully stopped people before?

Touché, salesman.

Postscript: I don't think he ever did any SR colour work though? Just B&W inks. It looks a lot like they tried to pull the cover out of the way-back machine, and old SR covers just don't jive with Bradstreets style.

No, but would that be a bad thing for a greyscale cover?

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Jun 8 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)
It sure looks what you'd get if you zapped a current day CC camera with a beam weapon. OMG Ares finally got their portable laser to market!

Hmmmmm...Flying cars and laser pistols! :notworthy:

Yeeeeeha!

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jun 9 2005, 01:09 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (hermit)
- the whole image is more along the lines of SR2's (legendary) cover than SR3's tarzan troll. Signifying a "back to the roots" feel the game is supposed to have? The whole image looks more Blade Runner than any SR cover before.

I think Blade Runner has a grittier feel than the feelings I get looking at this cover art.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jun 9 2005, 01:14 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 185

Coolness. I just picked up on something in this pic. Brownie points to who figures out which corp the runners are hitting.

+Quote Post
SR4-WTF?
post Jun 9 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

No, but would that be a bad thing for a greyscale cover?

I thought about that. With lots of white they could pull it off. I think you need the flagship for the product to really stand, and too much black or greyish and it would just blend into the background on the storeshelf. But then you'd have to have lower detail picture.

Also having it black and white would kind of put pressure on the following books to go black and white. I really like what some of the SR covers have done with colour.

+Quote Post
Trax
post Jun 9 2005, 01:28 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

That weapon could be anything. Maybe it's custom made, maybe it's a new weapon from the year 2070. Who knows.

+Quote Post
scoundrel
post Jun 9 2005, 01:35 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,326

That samurai and his forearm cyberspur should be wiped off the face of existence.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 9 2005, 01:43 AM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Synner)
Coolness. I just picked up on something in this pic. Brownie points to who figures out which corp the runners are hitting.

So we can infer that it is not Zeta-ImpChem, since you're still mentioning it?

~J

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.