IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some unusual Shadowruns?, Or: How to frag your DocWagon Contract.
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 18 2005, 05:14 AM
Post #1


Horror
*********

Group: Members
Posts: 5,322
Joined: 15-June 05
From: BumFuck, New Jersey
Member No.: 7,445



This Run idea came to me in that place of many ideas: The Shower.


The premise is simple. Johnson wants DocWagon to hurt. Bad. Digging reveals that Johnson's <Insert Important Person Here(Brother/Wife/Whatever)> was geeked when a DocWagon responded to someone's Super Platinum and started shooting everybody in sight. He wants payback.


The 'Run' is a bounty on all DocWagon equipment destroyed or stolen, and any good Matrixwork against them. A fair sum for the wagons - maybe 5,000 Nuyen, more for the choppers - about 8,000-12,000, and if you take out a corporate office or one of their clinics, it's up to the DM.

The easiest way, of course, is to beat someone with a DocWagon bracelet up, let him call the Doc Wagon, and then just ambush it. I figure it should be easy for awhile - DocWagon is an armed response extraction team. It's (IMO) never occured to them that THEY could be the real targets.

How the Runners do it is up to them - easiest way, of course, is to just put a short-range RPG into the wagon. They're armored, but I don't think they're heavy enough to take concentrated fire. DocWagons more or less pull people out of fights where they see lots of pistols, knives, pipes, and the occasional SMG, they're not prepared for heavy artillary like LMGs, MMGs, HMGs, assault cannons, or rocket launchers.

Of course, if the runners adopt a "No unnnessessary killing" policy, I'd give them more Karma. The way I'd personally do it would involve grabbing the vic, takeing him into the Barrens, and beating him. (Best way to handle this is to pay off the local gang for their support. They don't mess with the Wagon, or the runners, or the bait.) Once your guy has called the DocWagon, you set up a roadblock, KO the bait, and wait. When th DocWagon arrives and finds themselves the target, order them (through use of loudspeakers) to throw their weapons out and come out with their hands up. This order should be enforced with a very visible heavy weapon, and make SURE to have some kind of jammer up so they can't call the Star in on you. Everybody should be disguised, of course, in the kind of clothing that makes it impossbile to distinguish a cybered out sammie from a mage, and faces covered, of course. 'escort' the DocWagon personelle into an abandoned building, gas them unconcious, torch their van. Drop the jammer, leave them their own phones, and walk away to collect your bounty.

What do you think? Interesting, hopefully unique? Or am I an idiot? You have any other interesting off-the-wall ideas?
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 18 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #2


Uncle Fisty
**********

Group: Admin
Posts: 13,891
Joined: 3-January 05
From: Next To Her
Member No.: 6,928



That is a pretty neat idea actually, but would end up pretty combat intensive, as DW 'troops' are equipped with security armor, assault rifles and heavy weapons if needs be, and armored vehicles. Your PC's better be up for it.

As for taking them alive, Stun Ball and splat grenades w/ DMSO/G-S would probably go farther than telling a team wquipped with "security armor, assault rifles and heavy weapons if needs be, and armored vehicles" to throw down their weapons
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 18 2005, 05:55 AM
Post #3


Horror
*********

Group: Members
Posts: 5,322
Joined: 15-June 05
From: BumFuck, New Jersey
Member No.: 7,445



Are they really that heavily armed? I always figured DocWagon to be a van armored enough to protect from small arms fire, but not from heavy weapons, and that they'd tote at most, one AR and a couple SMGs per van.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 18 2005, 06:11 AM
Post #4


Freelance Elf
*********

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 7,324
Joined: 30-September 04
From: Texas
Member No.: 6,714



DocWagon's pretty heftily armed -- and they have been targeted before (almost exactly like you're describing, in fact). Remember, these guys roll around with vans (or VTOLs/helicopters!) chock full of tasty pharmaceuticals, guns, and armor. Name three things criminals like more, would'ja? So they get their fair share of random street violence, right off the bat, right? On top of that, there was at least one published adventure that dealt very specifically with DocWagon teams getting attacked/ambushed, like you described (IIRC it was one of their few NPCs with a tactical computer and some idea how to use it).

So, I mean, it's possible to mess with DocWagon. But it's not going to catch anyone but the first team off-guard, and it's nothing they haven't learned how to deal with before.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Westiex
post Jun 18 2005, 07:27 AM
Post #5


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 165
Joined: 30-September 04
Member No.: 6,715



A) Knock the bait unconcious, then strap a few gas grenades to him. They take the bait into the wagon, grenades trip ...

B) Buy yourself a few intelligent missiles, depending on the finances offered by the Johnson, and site them in random locations around the city.

Each time a Doc Wagon bracelet goes off, so does a missile, using said bracelet as a homing beacon.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 18 2005, 07:31 AM
Post #6


Freelance Elf
*********

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 7,324
Joined: 30-September 04
From: Texas
Member No.: 6,714



Remember, also, though, DocWagon provides the emergency medical response to Lone Star (among others). And no one likes it when you shoot at their medic.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 18 2005, 07:55 AM
Post #7


Horror
*********

Group: Members
Posts: 5,322
Joined: 15-June 05
From: BumFuck, New Jersey
Member No.: 7,445



Target: Lone Star.

For only the truely suicidal and/or revoloutionary Shadowrunners. :)

It is kind of a high-risk job, but I think it's unique and neat. The real pain is figuring out how to acomplish the Run (Destroying DocWagon propery) without violating your own ethics. Hence the "make them surrender" bit.


Another thing to do would, if you had a drek-hot decker, go after one of their clinics. Sound an alarm inside the clinic: Sarin or something equally deadly to metahumanity released, evacuate the building. And then firebomb it to hell. If nobody realizes the alarm was fake, people may believe the firebombing was an emergency response measure.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jun 18 2005, 08:15 AM
Post #8


Immoral Elf
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 15,247
Joined: 29-March 02
From: Grimy Pete's Bar & Laundromat
Member No.: 2,486



I don't know any players who would ever have their characters do this kind of job for the money you are offering. I mean 12K nuyen for a DocWagon™ chopper??? Destroyed maybe, but not captured.

Also keep in mind that DocWagon™ has access to half decent mages, so be careful slinging magic during this run. Especially if you have, or plan to have a contract with them yourself.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 18 2005, 08:29 AM
Post #9


Horror
*********

Group: Members
Posts: 5,322
Joined: 15-June 05
From: BumFuck, New Jersey
Member No.: 7,445



How did you do the TM?

And yes, I did mean destroyed. I'm certain the smart DM would assess bonuses for captures. As capturing a helicoptor is an excessively difficult thing to do.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 18 2005, 09:07 AM
Post #10


Dragon
********

Group: Members
Posts: 4,718
Joined: 14-September 02
Member No.: 3,263



Using some version of Windows? Either "Run" charmap.exe and select it from the grid and cut&paste. Or you can make sure your NumLock is on then hold down your left Alt key while you enter 0-1-5-3 on your numeric pad. When you then release the Alt key the ™ should appear.

Incidentally selecting a character in the grid in charmap.exe will display in the status bar the 4 digits for creating each character using the second method. For example ßlakkie or 451ºF.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Tanka
post Jun 18 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #11


Chrome to the Core
******

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 3,152
Joined: 14-October 03
From: ::1
Member No.: 5,715



QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Another thing to do would, if you had a drek-hot decker, go after one of their clinics. Sound an alarm inside the clinic: Sarin or something equally deadly to metahumanity released, evacuate the building. And then firebomb it to hell. If nobody realizes the alarm was fake, people may believe the firebombing was an emergency response measure.

Because, being a well-known corp, they don't have their own Matrix security watching every known (and oftentimes unknown) entry point into their part of the 'Trix.

You'd better have a drek-hot decker if you want to come out alive from that one. That or a lot of luck.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 18 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #12


Horror
*********

Group: Members
Posts: 5,322
Joined: 15-June 05
From: BumFuck, New Jersey
Member No.: 7,445



Cheers.

By the way, I thought of another unique Shadowrun™. Insurance Fraud!


Either as the fradulees, or the fraud inspectors.


Case Scenario 1: Fraud Inspectors.

<Insert Big to Megacorp name here> has a teensy problem. They suspect <insert name of middle-high executive here> of committing fraud on his corp car. You see, his ~90,000 :nuyen: Lincoln-GM Executive series company car has been stolen. Ordinarily they would simply write it off as the cost of doing bisuness, and provide him with a less expensive car. However, this is the third such car he's lost in six months. All the antitheft devices have been deeated in detail, as none of the car's automatic "I'm being stolen!" squealers got so much as a peep off.

The mission is a simple two-part op with little for a Slaughtering Sammie to do (unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong.)

The kicker is that the exec lives off of Company property, therefor they can't just bust down his door and start 'interrogating' him. If they did, the Star would arrive, and the Star dosen't distinguish between a Corp Black Ops Team and Shadowrunners or hooligans if it's happening off company property. To make matters worse, executive seems to know his ways around the Shadows, and he has many contacts at Lone Star, garunteeing that if the Company came after him in such a manner, he'd be getting a free ride to turn over all he knows about the company to the Star - not a disaster, but not a pleasent outcome (for the Company.) So they need some "Deniable Assets."

Part 1: Infiltrate executive's home and violate his personal privacy in ways that would make a 1600s sailor blush. The Company wants a copy of all his logs, any diarys, all cred transactions, how many times per day his auto-toilet flushes, the works. If the Runners uncover Damning evidence (such as "May 13th. Sold company car to chop shop in barrens for 34,000 :nuyen: . Instructed refridgerator to order frankfurters in anticipation of Baseball season. Lost my favorite pen.", then they have permission to engage the exec, deliver a very thorough but non-life-threatening beating, and deliver him to the Company for yet more beatings. Otherwise, return the data to the company for review.

Part 2: If the executive DID steal it, and they uncover good evidence but not wholely damning, the runners go back for those beatings. If they uncover evidence that he is in fact simply very good at getting his cars stolen, the runners get paid their pay, and offered a job to track down the cars and 'punish' those responsible. THIS is something for a Slaughtering Sammie to do. :)



Case Scenario 2: Insurance Fraud.

Mr. Johnson is apparently someone in need of some very fast cash. He owns a shop of some sort (Snowmobiles, maybe,) and an insured house. The Run is thusly: They have to stage a threat on Mr. Johnson's life, which is ostensibly the trigger to run him out of town. He will report it to Lone Star. (Hint: a Lone Star contact may be able to make the Star's search cool down a bit.) While being hunted by Lone Star, the Runners must disguise themselves as something completely not what they are, and destroy everything Mr. Johnson owns. There has to be falsified evidence pointing away from insurance fraud, preferably at some group that would hate Mr. Johnson. (The runners are here encouraged to excersize something they get precious little chance to: Their imaginations.)

Mr. Johnson has enough of a down-payment scraped together to entice the Runners. Once the insurance check comes in, whatever dosen't go towards paying his creditors is split 50/50 with him and the team.

(Also, if the Runners are smart, they'll creatively steal some of his possessions and fence them for some extra cash. They can use, if they're creative, some junk electronics and a few fake cases to make the choiceiest pieces look destroyed - this gets the people hunting down fenced items off their trail, if they think it was in fact destroyed.)
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pragma
post Jun 18 2005, 05:41 PM
Post #13


Running Target
***

Group: Members
Posts: 1,278
Joined: 15-April 05
Member No.: 7,336



Fraud inspectors sounds like a fun and easily executable run (though why the company is so bent on keeping track of its cars is beyond me).

Insurance fraud would be a hard sell, at least to my runners. You would have to pay them a lot of money to get them to actively bring the star down on their heads.

For example, the only time I suceeded in doing so their bowels were full of cutters ready to make them into hamburger if they didn't.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 18 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #14


Horror
*********

Group: Members
Posts: 5,322
Joined: 15-June 05
From: BumFuck, New Jersey
Member No.: 7,445



If you keep losing 90,000 :nuyen: luxury cawrs, it's going to be very bad bisuness. That's almost a tenth of a million there. Plus, it's the whole employee disloyalty thing - that can't be allowed to fly.


And as for the insurance fraud, the idea is that they bring the Star down on fictious other people's heads. :)
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Mortax
post Jun 18 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #15


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 571
Joined: 9-January 05
From: In the 9th circle of hell
Member No.: 6,950



:vegm: I like this idea. I have to run soon too.....bwahahaha!
Could make it real fun and have the guy possesed by a bug spirit or master shedem, if you wanted to spice it up. :-)
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Angelone
post Jun 18 2005, 09:24 PM
Post #16


Running Target
***

Group: Members
Posts: 1,286
Joined: 24-May 05
From: A 10x10 room with an orc and a treasure chest
Member No.: 7,409



Some of the most hair raising "Oh god what have we gotten ourselves into" Aliens flashback inducing runs I've played are escorting Parabiologists trying to find new species of flora or fauna in (insert remote god awful location here). To this day I cringe IRL when someone mentions Amazonia.

How about the runners get hired to protect an ophanage or soup kitchen? A paycheck and a good deed will warm their black hearts :please:

How about the runners are hired by the wife of an abusive husband, not to "teach him a lesson", but to teach the wife and daughter how to take care of themselves. This could lead to a situation with the daughter where she falls in love with one of the runners or wants to become one afterwards.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Edward
post Jun 19 2005, 04:43 AM
Post #17


Neophyte Runner
*****

Group: Members
Posts: 2,073
Joined: 23-August 04
Member No.: 6,587



QUOTE (Angelone)

How about the runners are hired by the wife of an abusive husband, not to "teach him a lesson", but to teach the wife and daughter how to take care of themselves. This could lead to a situation with the daughter where she falls in love with one of the runners or wants to become one afterwards.

Nice idea but how would you run it.

Edward
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Trax
post Jun 19 2005, 04:58 AM
Post #18


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 470
Joined: 2-January 05
From: Quebec
Member No.: 6,924



Why would she hire Shadowrunners? There are other places where she can learn self-defence. Plus she could always get a gun herself and shoot the guy while he's sleeping.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Angelone
post Jun 19 2005, 05:05 AM
Post #19


Running Target
***

Group: Members
Posts: 1,286
Joined: 24-May 05
From: A 10x10 room with an orc and a treasure chest
Member No.: 7,409



Friend or family who "pays" them with meals or something simular just throwing out ideas.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 19 2005, 08:23 AM
Post #20





Guests






QUOTE (Angelone @ Jun 18 2005, 03:24 PM)
How about the runners get hired to protect an ophanage or soup kitchen? A paycheck and a good deed will warm their black hearts :please: 

How about the runners are hired by the wife of an abusive husband, not to "teach him a lesson", but to teach the wife and daughter how to take care of themselves. This could lead to a situation with the daughter where she falls in love with one of the runners or wants to become one afterwards.

Either example is easier to implement if the runners aren't hired, and from a certain POV could act on their own behest, thereby involving themselves in affairs which are none of their business.

OTOH, if the beneficiary accepts it then it's not really intruding. But not even run has to pay or work on a contract basis. Maybe the person(s) they're helping is(are) contacts or neighbors or random encounters (e.g., Hatchetman's first run in Cybertechnology for the Renraku suit).
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Jun 19 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #21


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 530
Joined: 11-June 05
Member No.: 7,441



QUOTE (Trax)
Why would she hire Shadowrunners? There are other places where she can learn self-defence. Plus she could always get a gun herself and shoot the guy while he's sleeping.

Maybe the husband is a mid-level mafioso, yakuza or triad goon. Enough so that if she tried to take them on herself, she'd lose, but not so much that she would think Shadowrunners couldn't help.

Also, the fact that she's married into the underworld would provide an explanation as to how she would go about getting into contact with the runners in the first place.

This wouldn't be just a protection run, it would end up having to be an extraction run. Get the wife and kids out alive, and arrange for their dissapearance.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 19 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #22


Uncle Fisty
**********

Group: Admin
Posts: 13,891
Joined: 3-January 05
From: Next To Her
Member No.: 6,928



one of my favorites was a run that was barely really a run. One of the characters contacts had a pretty young elven lady friend that lived in downtown. She had a perverted neighbor that lived across the street with a telescope. He was told once to mind his own business, but didn't.

The contact paid them 5k/ month to continually harass the target (we'll call him Mr/ P - for pervert). The conditions were that they were not to harm him in any physical way, and to never make any contact with him or the neighbor lady.

So they just went nuts. They changed his locks, set off his alarms, doctored compromising pictures of him and distributed them throughout his office, hid fish in his apartment, stole his car a number of times ( I always hoped they'd use it on a run), sent dozens of pizzas to his house, changed his SIN, filled his apartment with freeze foam, levitated his furniture to his apartment ceiling and screwed it in, that sort of thing. Occasionally they remmber him (2 years later) and think of something else to do. He's moved three times, gone through 4 security companies, three jobs, and two new identities.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Hague
post Jun 20 2005, 05:33 AM
Post #23


Target
*

Group: Members
Posts: 32
Joined: 16-August 04
From: Ohio
Member No.: 6,564



QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
one of my favorites was a run that was barely really a run. One of the characters contacts had a pretty young elven lady friend that lived in downtown. She had a perverted neighbor that lived across the street with a telescope. He was told once to mind his own business, but didn't.

The contact paid them 5k/ month to continually harass the target (we'll call him Mr/ P - for pervert). The conditions were that they were not to harm him in any physical way, and to never make any contact with him or the neighbor lady.

So they just went nuts. They changed his locks, set off his alarms, doctored compromising pictures of him and distributed them throughout his office, hid fish in his apartment, stole his car a number of times ( I always hoped they'd use it on a run), sent dozens of pizzas to his house, changed his SIN, filled his apartment with freeze foam, levitated his furniture to his apartment ceiling and screwed it in, that sort of thing. Occasionally they remmber him (2 years later) and think of something else to do. He's moved three times, gone through 4 security companies, three jobs, and two new identities.

Oh man, thats awesome. I like the way your guys think.

Tell me, did they also fill out those little subscription cards in the magazines with his name, address, and credit info, and mail them in by the truckload? Or put his car up on blocks, slash the tires, and fill them with cement, removing the blocks once the cement was dry?
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
frostPDP
post Jun 20 2005, 05:49 AM
Post #24


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 279
Joined: 21-March 05
From: Freeport NY
Member No.: 7,205



Alright Fisty, I have to say that is hilarious.


A very gooooood idea.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jun 20 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #25


Neophyte Runner
*****

Group: Members
Posts: 2,453
Joined: 17-September 04
From: St. Paul
Member No.: 6,675



I am definitely doing this next tiem I get a chance to run!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

 



RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.