IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clarification..., ...Or the lack there-of.
Rolemodel
post Jun 18 2005, 10:37 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,094

First off, let me apologize if this question has already been addressed. I really haven't had the energy to muck knee-deep through the shit in here with the exception of a few key, choice, threads.

I understand that Attribute + Skill will be the basic roll, against a TN of 5. I believe the total dice, there, is referred to as a 'pool'. I've often been under the impression that a 'pool' implies some sort of tactical allocation of dice to exceed the standard 'Here's all your dice, now roll them, slut'.

My question, then, is has there been confirmation that the attribute dice added to a test refresh with each dice test that they are linked to? Is it possible that characters will have X dice, where X equals the rating of any given attribute, to spread around to various tests linked to that attribute throughout a turn?

I.E, Floofy-The-Gay-Elf-Cat-Shaman needs to make several charisma based tests in this combat turn to succesfully seduce a trio of nearby catholic priests. Etiquette, and Negotiation to blend in as a choir boy, and chatter with an enticing elven lisp. With two tests to make, inside of this one turn, while his buddies are off doing manly stuff with weapons, ol' Floof will have to split his Charisma 'Pool' dice, while using the base skill level of each respective skill and any dice he'd like to allocate vs. TN of 5.

It seems to me, and I'm not sure if there's room for any of you to agree, that implementing something along those lines would retain the more thoughtful approach to gaming Shadowrun has always maintained, retain degrees of flexibility, without overcomplicating matters for our younger, more impressionable gamers.

-RM
"I haven't figured out how to say FUCK YOU politely."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 18 2005, 10:42 AM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

I doubt it's going to work like that.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 18 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

I can't see that being a good thing. With the default being keeping track of how many dice have been used.

On the flipside perhaps a better idea is to allow a character to spend a simple action, in place of say an attack, to set aside dice for use later in combat. Just one or two die per simple action, cumulative over multiple action to some larger limit. The dice could then be used for any attack, defense, or possibly even other rolls made at any time within that combat, even after a new Init roll was made.

The accounting wouldn't be that bad since the default is not to have the dice available, and extra time spent is minimal since it replaces an action that likely would have required a roll. The player could also make it easier to track the current set aside dice by physically setting the dice aside in a pile.

The strategic use would be roughly similar to Combat Pool, but in some ways superior. For example there would be no artifical refresh (or loss) of dice at the end of a Combat Turn. You could also use it for actions other than normal attack/defense rather than having a narrow definition of combat actions. Both things that the CP has been knocked for.

Also note that the old issue of whether you could Dodge with Combat Pool at the start of combat becomes a non-issue. Until you act you can't have saved up any dice.

+Quote Post
Rolemodel
post Jun 18 2005, 04:14 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,094

I think my Floofy-the-Gay-Elf example was more tongue in-cheek for the ridiculous notion of elves being anything but. I think a better, and more relevant example would:

I have Quickness: 5, and SMG:4. I play on using my SMG 3 times in this turn, and manage to squeeze 2 bonus dice to each test after taking in account the atmospheric conditions, difficulty, and my smartlink.

I would have three rolls of 6 dice vs. TN:5, with 5 dice from my quickness 'Pool' to spread out over that, or any other quickness based skill tests I needed to make.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 18 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #5

Dragon

QUOTE (Rolemodel @ Jun 18 2005, 10:14 AM)
I think my Floofy-the-Gay-Elf example was more tongue in-cheek for the ridiculous notion of elves being anything but.  I think a better, and more relevant example would:

I have Quickness: 5, and SMG:4.  I play on using my SMG 3 times in this turn, and manage to squeeze 2 bonus dice to each test after taking in account the atmospheric conditions, difficulty, and my smartlink.

I would have three rolls of 6 dice vs. TN:5, with 5 dice from my quickness 'Pool' to spread out over that, or any other quickness based skill tests I needed to make.

But that means you'll have to track potentially 8 or 9 "pools", one for each attribute. How many you actually use depends on which skills link to which attributes. But still it means you must always track at least 1, and likely often at least a couple. A step backwards in accounting load from SR3 Pools, yes? EDIT: Or at least a step sideways, which makes poor justification for the effort required by SR4 changes.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jun 18 2005, 06:23 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

Blakkie: your point is a valid one and I think that that is how they are going to handle such things as aiming and probably centering in the new system. By spending the time to focus on the action you get extra dice for a test in the future. Obviously with my two examples those dice will have to be used for very specific actions but in essence the two points are the same.

As for having a pool equal to your attribute to spread out over your actions I find that is unlikely. As has been said it is chunky. Likely, the way the pools will work is that you declare that you will take x number of actions in a turn. If x is greater than 1 then you take your pool and subtract two dice. That is how many dice you get for the first action and for every action after that you subtract another die and roll the remainder. Obviously stuff like wired reflexes and improve reflexes spells will give you y number of additional actions that do not reduce your pool.

And of course, the likely addition is that Edge will be there to provide "non-enhanced" characters with a few more dice to throw into those actions or possibly buy hits.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 18 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #7

Dragon

QUOTE (Cheops @ Jun 18 2005, 12:23 PM)
Blakkie: your point is a valid one and I think that that is how they are going to handle such things as aiming and probably centering in the new system.  By spending the time to focus on the action you get extra dice for a test in the future.  Obviously with my two examples those dice will have to be used for very specific actions but in essence the two points are the same.

When conceiving that idea i was sort of thinking about aiming, as aiming would likely be a bonus from an action immediately preceeding. A bonus that is almost certainly going to be extra die.

Typically an aim action requires no other action taken between the aim and the attack action, and the aim would likely require specifying the weapon and target when the aim action is taken. What i'm talking about is a much more generalized mechanic, even if it did negate the need for defining an aim action. Translated to IC terms it the character expending energy to look ahead in combat to prepare for what might happen, and receiving a very abstract bonus based on that.

This might be roughly how Centering is implemented. However if Centering is a skill, and the FAQs did not mention it as one of the SR4 magical skills, the way to handle it and still have it balance is likely to have you roll your Centering+Attribute (or Centering+Creative Skill?) and the number of hits is the number of bonus die you add to your next action.

EDIT: Yes, if Centering is still around i would like to see Centering require a simple action by itself. I never much liked the idea of those extra no-time rolls that required some sort of creative skill. I would also like to see basic Centering for magical skills not require a metamagic. Perhaps an extra metamagic to allow Centering for a mundane skill and/or a metamagic for allowing you to combine your simple action Centering check with a Complex action, such as casting, to form a single Complex action.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.