Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Movies to inspire GMs, Movies that have a shadowrun feel
Buzzed
post Jun 20 2005, 01:45 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,782

I just finished watching a movie called Cypher. I couldn't help but think about Shadowrun while watching this movie. It was a movie about double agents stealing information. It doesn't get anymore shadowrun then that. =P I reccomend watching this if you need some inspiration or just some silly sci-fi entertainment. It was actually a rather good movie in my opinion. Linkage: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284978/

A few months ago, I watched a movie that was kind of old, but it did have a shadowrun feel to it. It was about a futuristic prison. The funny part is the prison is completely automated with drones, and the only live guards are all souped up with cyberware. The movie is called Fortress. Linkage: http://www.movie-pages.com/movie/fortress/B00005O5B6/

I want to see your lists of uncommon movies that definately have a shadowrun flavor to them.

Remember: Crime does not pay. Nobody escapes the fortress.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jun 20 2005, 01:51 AM
Post #2

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

although it's not "rare" (more of a semi cult classic) I love Bladerunner for my SR-ish/cyberpunk dose.

+Quote Post
Starglyte
post Jun 20 2005, 01:54 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,317

The movie Snatch has a Shadowrun feel IMHO. Different groups working at cross purposes and interacting with each other at the most strangest times. I can see a runner group hired to get the diamonds and going through hell to get their run completed.Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels has the same feel as well.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 20 2005, 02:01 AM
Post #4

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

I like some of these movies, and some of these movies, and the search engine.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jun 20 2005, 02:03 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Isn't there some sort of statutory waiting period on these threads? And can't we extend that?

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jun 20 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #6

do you mean in making them (as in don't we hear this every other month) or in replying to them (because someone beat you to a reply?)

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jun 20 2005, 03:52 AM
Post #7

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I just watched World Police: Team America. I think that'd be good for some groups I've seen.

+Quote Post
Yoan
post Jun 20 2005, 04:36 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,433

I watched 'Sin City' a while back; didn't particularly like the way it was directed, but enjoyed the atmosphere it provided. I found it has a lot of the stuff, that I try to include in my own games.

Gee, that sure was vague.

Above all: 'Ronin'. Teamwork in action.
'Heat' has one of my favourite firefights, though.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Jun 20 2005, 04:37 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

Sin City had an excellent atmosphere.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith is cool for ideas on how to hide weapons and the combat is nice and flashy.

+Quote Post
Krazy
post Jun 20 2005, 04:45 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,200

equalibrem. just had to mention the dystopian, samenss that people try to break out of. really, thats why. john preston has nothing to do with it. (run away)

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 20 2005, 04:54 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Yoan)

"Above all: Ronin"

"Above all?"

This is a joke, right? Heat is so much better than Ronin it's not even debatable. The teamwork, planning, combat skills, fallout, and every other effing thing about that movie kicks the living shit out of Ronin. Most of Ronin seems like amateur hour compared to it.

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Jun 20 2005, 04:57 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

HEAT is one of my favourite movies, by far. The bank robbery scene was so perfect...

Heat and Bladerunner (As usual) are probably my top 2 "Shadowrun" movies.

+Quote Post
Yoan
post Jun 20 2005, 06:03 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Jun 19 2005, 11:54 PM)
QUOTE (Yoan @ Jun 19 2005, 10:36 PM)

"Above all: Ronin"

"Above all?"

This is a joke, right? Heat is so much better than Ronin it's not even debatable. The teamwork, planning, combat skills, fallout, and every other effing thing about that movie kicks the living shit out of Ronin. Most of Ronin seems like amateur hour compared to it.

K, glad you think so. Now he has a reason to see both.
Wasn't aware that personal opinions/preferences weren't welcome here. :|

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jun 20 2005, 06:47 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (Yoan)

Well, now you know.

This is so going to turn into another 12 pages of HEATHEATHEATHEATOMGZHEAT.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Jun 20 2005, 06:57 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

Not a film, although coming as one soon:

Firefly, Sci-Fi runners in space. Western-like atmosphere on the backwater worlds.

Each episode is generally a run, the team having their hideout on a Firefly class transporter.

Too bad is discontinued. Only one season got made.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jun 20 2005, 02:14 PM
Post #16

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Err... Firefly? It's a great series, sure. Even has its own thread over in General Gaming. But as a shadowrun?

1) They have spaceships.
2) They tend to visit big, desolate planets with poor security controls
3) They have SPACESHIPS
4) When they need to run away, they dont' hide out in the crummy part of the city, they get into their SPACESHIP and fly away into space where people can't find them
5) I remember seeing maybe 6 scenes of combat in the whole series, and none of it is even vaguely comparable to anything I've seen in the sprawls of Seattle. Alright, maybe the one in the brothel was. But the rest really weren't.

So go ahead and watch firefly because it's a fun series, but don't do it with the misconstrued idea that it'll give you good ideas for Shadowrun unless you're doing a pirate or a spaceship campaign.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jun 20 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Streets of Fire!

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jun 20 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #18

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Fortune)
Streets of Fire!

Streets of fire does rock, even though I caught it in french on some TV channel a few christmas agos. Really should rent the actual movie one day, assuming I can find it!

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Jun 20 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

Has anyone said Reservoir Dogs yet (this month)?

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jun 20 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #20

nope, you're the first. I really should see that movie, i've heard good things about it, and it's one of those that like, trying to get into tv/film, would prolly be a good thing. I think i saw a preview on IFC for it...

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Jun 20 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

QUOTE (Aku @ Jun 20 2005, 09:50 AM)
nope, you're the first.

On the current incarnation of this particular thread, anyway.

+Quote Post
shadow_scholar
post Jun 20 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,059

Since we're revisting films, I've always been more fascinated with crime films that had good stories as opposed to films that only had a similar setting to Shadowrun. I always thought finding a good plot and converting it over had great potential. On that note, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but howabout 'Spartan'? It has a very militaristic feel to it, but it shows how hidden plots can truly make the main character's day a very bad one. Why not mention a few of David Mamet's stories/flicks, then? 'Heist' (which he wrote & directed) and 'Ronin' (which he wrote as Richard Weisz) have already been mentioned, but howabout some of his other twisty crime films/stories, like 'House of Games'? There are few crime films I still haven't seen that he was involved with, like 'Homicide' and 'Things Change'.

Another surprise that I haven't seen anyone mention was 'Strange Days'. Basically the story is a murder mystery revolving around a dealer in simsense/BTLs. Very well done, IMO, but a little old now. The big chronological event in the film is that the year 2000 is fast approaching.

Another great caper movie I have seen recently was 'Layercake'. If you dug 'Lock, Stock...' and 'Snatch', you'll want to check this one out. While it isn't as funny, I think it has a much better, much more twisty plot than Guy Ritchie's two caper films. Give it a look.

And if you're less into the celluloid and more into the paper, and you're really into capers, then read some Elmore Leonard. Many of his books have been converted into movies because of the their great plots and good dialogue (Get Shorty, Be Cool, Out of Sight, The Big Bounce, Rum Punch as Q. Tarantino's 'Jackie Brown') and he just keeps going. He's got two movies in pre-production right now based one two more of his books, Killshot, and Tishomingo Blues. Definitely give this guy a read if you're a GM and want to create amusing, memorable, and three dimensional bad guys , or to get some good plot hooks.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Jun 20 2005, 04:14 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 20 2005, 09:14 AM)
Err...  Firefly?  It's a great series, sure.  Even has its own thread over in General Gaming.  But as a shadowrun?

1)  They have spaceships. 
2)  They tend to visit big, desolate planets with poor security controls
3)  They have SPACESHIPS
4)  When they need to run away, they dont' hide out in the crummy part of the city, they get into their SPACESHIP and fly away into space where people can't find them
5)  I remember seeing maybe 6 scenes of combat in the whole series, and none of it is even vaguely comparable to anything I've seen in the sprawls of Seattle.  Alright, maybe the one in the brothel was.  But the rest really weren't.

So go ahead and watch firefly because it's a fun series, but don't do it with the misconstrued idea that it'll give you good ideas for Shadowrun unless you're doing a pirate or a spaceship campaign.

Each episode features a "run", they have a mission stated as a courier run, snatch, info retrieval etc. All very much like SR.

They use their net of contacts to get by and get jobs. Also very SR.

They hide out in crummy places of the galaxy. Their galaxy is as overrun as any sprawl. Not too unreasonable when you take into consideration that everyone needs fuel, so they are never too far off into the unknown. - So, the setting in space does not remove them from SR-like properties.

Combat in Firefly is very fast. Someone pulls, someone dies. The number of combatants are usually 1-4 on each side, with the shootout in the brothel as the clear exception. You think this discerns it from SR, but it actually doesn't. Thats entirely up to the gore level of the gaming group.

Most of the action is on planet, off ship. Ships are used to move around in, its easy to abstract it into shuttles being vans and the freighter a hideout.

Anyhow, I just wouldn't allow your misleading description to stand alone. Firefly has many elements that fit nicely into the SR gaming type.

EDIT: Almost forgot, the moral fiber of the main characters are also very along the lines of what could be found in a SR team.

+Quote Post
Yoan
post Jun 20 2005, 04:27 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Yoan @ Jun 20 2005, 02:03 AM)

Well, now you know.

This is so going to turn into another 12 pages of HEATHEATHEATHEATOMGZHEAT.

Every time I watch 'Heat', I roll my eyes and fast-forward to the raging gun battle.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jun 20 2005, 04:45 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Can't remember, it is page 1 or page 2 that we bring in the Anime films??

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.