IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firearms statistics program, Is it possible to kill someone with 6L?
JesterX
post Jun 20 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,390

Is it possible to actuall kill someone wearing a lined coat (Ballistic 4) with a single bullet from a 6L damage coded light-pistol?

Yes it is! (But VERY unlikely!)

I've done a small piece of software that tests the scenario a number of time...

Here are the stats:

Attacker:
Firearm Skill: 6
Combat Pool Used: 6
Target Number To Hit: 4
Base Damage: 6L

Defender:
Body Attribute: 4
Combat Pool Used: 4
Ballistic Armor: 4

Number of Tests: 1,000,000 (1 million)

Results:
Miss: 248
Dodged: 123394
Totally Soaked: 581365
Before Soaking L: 2875
Before Soaking M: 69607
Before Soaking S: 314236
Before Soaking D: 613034
After Soaking L: 265184
After Soaking M: 29082
After Soaking S: 725
After Soaking D: 2

2 deaths on 1 million tries! lol

If you have other tests you want me to perform, just ask... ^_^
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Jun 20 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

Who says a Predator III is better than a Beretta?

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Jun 20 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,441

Dude, this is exactly why a smartlink-2 is absolutely, positively necessary. :)

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jun 20 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Can someone recall me the rules for Called Shot? I'm gonna try this by targetting unprotected area...

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jun 20 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Dude, this is exactly why a smartlink-2 is absolutely, positively necessary. :)

With a smartlink-2:

(TN2 instead of 4!)

Miss: 0
Dodged: 85
Soaked: 543434
Before L: 0
Before M: 16
Before S: 1233
Before D: 998751
After L: 408827
After M: 46451
After S: 1199
After D: 4

As you can see, the smartlink didn't make such a difference... But look at that Before Soaking Deadly staging!!! 998751 shots will have made a kill before staging down!!!

That almost doubled the chances also to produce a wound at all...

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jun 20 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

You can also see that a VERY FEW number of bullets were totally dodged (Combat Pool Success exceeding attackers successes)

85 dodges out of 1 million bullet... This smartlink sure helped to track the target! ^_^

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 20 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

The smartlink made a substantial difference in the number of times any damage at all was sustained, raising from approximately 1/3 to 1/2.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 20 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (JesterX)
Can someone recall me the rules for Called Shot? I'm gonna try this by targetting unprotected area...

a called shot cant do that in canon, what it can do is increase the damage level by one so that L bacomes M, M becomes S or S becomes D. but it allso increases the target number by 4, so its a bad idea unless your a crack shot or have smartlink.

and a bit of clarifications of those statistics please, are the damage levels indicating where they ended up before and after the body/soak roll? maybe move those total soaked statistics to between before soak D and after soak L to make it a bit more clear. or maybe split them up in groups for simpler reading ;)

and im guessing a lot of the before L and M's ended up in the totaly soaked statistic...

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jun 20 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Let's try again with no Smartlink against a Troll (Body 10) that doesn't wear any armor and doesn't bother to use dices from his combat pool...

You'll probably be surprised...

Miss: 240
Dodged: 0
Soaked: 9774
Before L: 3006
Before M: 69466
Before S: 313727
Before D: 613561
After L: 65566
After M: 234211
After S: 425776
After D: 264433

26.4% of the bullets kills the Troll!

Trolls... don't go our without your lined-coat!

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jun 20 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Hobgoblin)
and a bit of clarifications of those statistics please, are the damage levels indicating where they ended up before and after the body/soak roll? maybe move those total soaked statistics to between before soak D and after soak L to make it a bit more clear. or maybe split them up in groups for simpler reading

and im guessing a lot of the before L and M's ended up in the totaly soaked statistic... 

You're right, when I type "before soak" it means that the staging went this high before making the opposed body/pool roll...

And yes, Totally Soaked means that the damage went below "L" after making the Body roll...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 20 2005, 07:20 PM
Post #11

panda!

ouch, nice to know that you can (in theory atleast) stop a troll in its tracks with a gun doing L damage :P

hmm, would be interesting to see how many times the shooter got a rule of 1 result. maybe allso for the target (or are they immune from that effect? i dont recall).

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Jun 20 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
ouch, nice to know that you can (in theory atleast) stop a troll in its tracks with a gun doing L damage :P

hmm, would be interesting to see how many times the shooter got a rule of 1 result. maybe allso for the target (or are they immune from that effect? i dont recall).

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add that for my software... ^_^

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Jun 20 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
a called shot cant do that in canon, what it can do is increase the damage level by one so that L bacomes M, M becomes S or S becomes D.

I was under the impression that a called shot could avoid armor -- mm.35, "When a called shot is made against a character, or a specific limb or area is otherwise targeted or damaged, use only the armor rating for that location."

Under that, called shot to the head against this guy stages damage up (per sr3.114) AND bypasses armor (per mm.35).

While you're at it, against guy in lined coat v. 6L pistol... might as well use Smartlink-II called shot to head -- bypass armor, stage up one damage level, use glazer round for another stage up and +2 power... They'll be dealing with 8S/TN:4, with no armor to absorb real quick.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 20 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
I was under the impression that a called shot could avoid armor -- mm.35, "When a called shot is made against a character, or a specific limb or area is otherwise targeted or damaged, use only the armor rating for that location."

Didn't someone have a "frequent topic list" or something like that on his/her website? It should have about 150 threads under "Called Shots", more than half of which include that quote at or near the very top. A few to get you started.

Let's not get into that again.

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Jun 20 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Okay. Still want to called shot to bypass armor then (per FAQ). You'd be 8M/TN 4, no armor.

I can't tell you how many times I've come in on a called shot with my Morresey Elite w/ Glazers after my katana-wielding elf friend burns up all their combat pool. :)

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jun 20 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

Don't forget that always fun second shot on a semi-auto!

Which ought to really screw up those statistics, particularly on dodging, if they take a wound on the first shot.

And in this case (statistically), it really comes down to who has the most Karma Pool to blow on attack/defense.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 20 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #17

panda!

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Vaevictis)

Didn't someone have a "frequent topic list" or something like that on his/her website? It should have about 150 threads under "Called Shots", more than half of which include that quote at or near the very top. A few to get you started.

Let's not get into that again.

ah, expect sr4 to contradict itself :P
i was going by sr3 main, and forgot/overlooked that little line in the cyberlimb section of m&m.

ill not comment about how to interpet that one but i realy hope that this is something that will be cleared up in sr4 (alltho it seems that they fixing everything but the real problems of sr3).

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 20 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I'm working on doing this out mathematically. Two things: first off, you've got an abnormally high number of misses. Secondly, how did you allocate pool? While I'll have to look at it more, it looks on the surface like dodging is never advantageous (example: trying to dodge a single-success attack with four points of pool yields a 93.75% chance of success, and then there's an 86.806% chance of soaking with four points of body, leaving a total 99.175% chance of no damage. Compare to soaking with four points of Body and four of pool (three successes, TN 2, 8 dice) for a 99.956% chance of no damage), so it shouldn't be represented.

~J

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jun 21 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #19

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

My last group had a lady who used the Walther with smartlink 2 and made a lot of called shots usually to bypass armor. I think she used ExExplosive so the damage was 8L. 2 shots (SA) usually killed what she was shooting at. Second shot usually wasn't a called shot to help keep TN reasonable.

Had a lot of one shot kills by aiming then firing the called shot. 12D6 rolled at TN3 (4 base - 2 smlk2 + 2 called shot - 1 aim) doing 8L damage with no armor to stage damage down.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Jun 21 2005, 03:55 AM
Post #20

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

*runs around wildly in circles, waving arms in the air*

Arrrrrrghh!! You can't bypass armor with Called Shots! AHHHHHHH! Broken! Broken! Abstract! Broken!

*runs out of the room*

;)

+Quote Post
Krazy
post Jun 21 2005, 05:16 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,200

avoiding hitting a vest by putting a round through an un armored forehead is broken? I can't think so. but that's just me. of course, as a GM I need some easy way of puting down rabid PCs. the rules as written make very little sence to me (up damage or bypass armor?) (trying desperatly to cover up the fact that I missed the wink on the prev post. Damn!)

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 21 2005, 06:28 AM
Post #22

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

No good can come of the called shot conversation continuing.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Jun 21 2005, 06:42 AM
Post #23

Mostly Harmless

Are you kidding? Instead of like dying in a car accident or something, someone might actually stay here and argue for the 5,437,983rd time how bypassing armor with a called shot is sixteen different kinds of brokestract. That's good, isn't it?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 21 2005, 06:45 AM
Post #24

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

No. I'd rather see the car accident, to be honest.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Jun 21 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #25

Mostly Harmless

Let me get this straight. You'd rather a human being died than hear the 5,437,983rd version of this argument? You heartless commie.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.