IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> At what age did you start playing SR?, Played, not bought your first book.
How old, in years, were you when you first started playing SR?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 163
Guests cannot vote 
blakkie
post Jun 21 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,263

Not your age now. Not the age at which you dragged together the cash for your first book, although feel free to post that to the thread also. This is your age at the time you first sat down to play a game.

P.S. I'm allowed to classify the oldest bracket that way because i'm now of that age range. :P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Jun 21 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 5,776

I didn't start playing Shadowrun until my early twenties, but I started playing roleplaying games in general (specifically D&D) when I was only 5 or 6!

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jun 21 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #3

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

I started playing shadowrun about a month after my first AD&D2nd ed game, in HS.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jun 21 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

18 and out the door!
Freshman year of college, SR1.

Had a regular game of SR2 by junior year.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 21 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #5

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

14 years old, baby. Freshman year of high school, bought it for something to take with me on a Spring Break vacation.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 21 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Dragon

QUOTE (Critias)
14 years old, baby. Freshman year of high school, bought it for something to take with me on a Spring Break vacation.

So what drew you to the game? I don't mean after you started playing, but what actually convinced you to even crack the cover to look inside?

+Quote Post
Catsnightmare
post Jun 21 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 90

Somewhere between 16 and 18 IIRC. It was SR2 and I only played once, because while I understood the rules mechanics, physically locating the rules in the SR2 BBB was an unholy pain in the ass and pretty much turned me off the game. Never played again until SR3 hit the shelves, I looked though a friends copy after playing a session and found it vastly more organized and understandable than SR2 on it's best day. Fell in love with the setting all over again, and the new rules have become a close personal favorite of mine (spits on SR4). Been playing ever since.

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Jun 21 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

Started with SR3, bought my first book when I was 14, actually played 2 years later when I was/am 16.

+Quote Post
Yoan
post Jun 21 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,433

Played sporadic D&D between the ages off 11 and 13. At the age, I was also reading some Shadowrun novels, before eventually finding the Genesis SR game at my local blockbuster. I rented it, eventually bought it. Played the SNES one, also. At the age of 14 or thereabouts, I bought used copies of 2nd Edition, DNA/DOA & Sprawl Sites for the kingly sum of 25$. I went downhill from there.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Jun 21 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

17 here. I still recall me and the group taking about two weeks to actually make our characters, too. We started in 2e, but 2e was actually only a couple years old at the time I think...we still had a bunch of 1e books we used too i rememeber. First char was a horribly twinked sammie :upsd Well, we were all amazed at the number of options after D&D the GM let us go a little ape with the creation. :rotfl: Still used the books and rules but we managed to load our chars in ungodly ways. Then we grew up :D

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jun 21 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #11

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

22 for SR here, although i did play dnd as a kid, back with ravenloft, THAC0 and all that other jazz, also played one of the console SR games, graduated college, at 21, bought the book, and have recently picked up a few games online. Sadly, i think my forum game is dead :(

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jun 21 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #12

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

I'd won the SR2 BBB back when i was 15 - and became an addict.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jun 21 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (Grinder)
I'd won the SR2 BBB back when i was 15 - and became an addict.

I hear they have camps to cure that now. ;)

+Quote Post
Req
post Jun 21 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 277

Started with D&D in 5th grade. Got pulled into the Worst Shadowrun Game EVER in 9th grade, started GMing in 10th, and it's been...well...a whole lot of years, now.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jun 22 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #15

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Although I have been playing RPGs forever (30 years), I first played Shadowrun when I was 27. It would have started earlier, but Shadowrun didn't exist before that.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 22 2005, 01:16 AM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I think I was eleven or twelve at the time, and the kids I usually played D&D with were playing this new game called Shadowrun. Played it a bit, got addicted, picked it back up in 3rd ed and here I am.

~J

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Jun 22 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

I played my first game (my ONLY game, so far) with Sahandrian's online gaming group in July and August of 2003.

I turned 39 in May of that year.

EDIT: I should mention that I do have some prior RP experience--mostly with GDW's Traveller and TSR's Top Secret--but, until I became interested in SR, I hadn't played an RPG in over seventeen years--since approximately June, 1996.

EDIT #2: blakkie--Just out of curiosity, where are the rules for playing I.E.'s?

--Foreigner

This post has been edited by Foreigner: Jun 27 2005, 12:13 PM

+Quote Post
Shrapnel
post Jun 22 2005, 01:34 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,852

I think I was also 11 or 12 at the time. Can't say exactly WHEN we started, but I do remember HOW we started.

It was right after Shadowrun for SNES came out, and my friends and I were addicted to it. One of my friends went looking for a strategy guide, and ended up with a 1st Edition rulebook.

I still remember our first GM trying to teach me how to play. I don't think he ever bothered trying to read the rulebook, he was just using things he saw in the SNES game.

For instance, all of our characters started with ALL attributes at rating 1, and you could mix and match magic and cyberwear as much as you wanted...

After I borrowed the book for a little while, and actually read it, I got "volunteered" as the new GM, and have been practically stuck there ever since.

Moved up to 2nd Edition after a while, but haven't quite made it to 3rd Edition just yet. (I know I need to switch to 3rd Edition one of these days, but I'm really going to miss grounding spells into foci... :evil: )

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jun 22 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #19

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

May as well just wait for 4th edition.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Jun 22 2005, 02:23 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

It was around 13-14 for me, playing SR, then upgrading to SR2 shortly thereafter.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Jun 22 2005, 03:04 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

I was 18, the summer after I graduated. My friends and I were trying to find something to do when it rained, nice days we skated and played Hackey Sack. Some one suggested we play D&D. I had read the Secrets of Power trilogy and flipped through the 1st edition book, so I said "What about Shadowrun?"

Six of us chipped in $5 each and bought the 2nd edition BBB ( it had been out for a few months) at the FLCS. We all loved it and played for several years. Now, only me and one other guy (who has a second job at the FLCS) from that original group play. We've added quite a few others though, including my wife.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Jun 22 2005, 04:03 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

I was about 11

My gaming style has changed considerably

I played the sega game on the sega channel, and saw a copy of shadowtech on the shelf. some older kids saw me reading it, thinking i knew how to play and invited me.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 22 2005, 04:05 AM
Post #23

Dragon

QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton @ Jun 21 2005, 10:03 PM)
I was about 11

Of course it has now that there are rules for PC vampires and there are IEs that you could play as. ;)

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Jun 22 2005, 04:04 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

QUOTE (blakkie)
I was about 11

Of course it has now that there are rules for PC vampires and there are IEs that you could play as. ;)

you can play vampires now?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 22 2005, 04:17 AM
Post #25

Dragon

QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton @ Jun 21 2005, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Jun 21 2005, 09:05 PM)
I was about 11

you can play vampires now?

I thought that was added somewhere. Or maybe people are just working from the NPC rules and guesstimating how much karma handicap to assign to a character? Maybe it's a BeCKs thing i'm thinking of? Never really looked for the PC vampire rules myself. :D

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.