IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I was a playtester..., I guess this makes me "anti-SR4".
Wireknight
post Jun 22 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,118

After reading certain comments on this forum, I sent the following e-mail to my group.

After reading a forum thread that seems to have finally firmed up the general opinion that the developers have of those who don't think the incoming system is the next best thing to sliced bread, something that pretty well affirms the reasons why only a small fraction of the problems and potential solutions we've come up with after many hours each of observation and testing have even been acknowledged, let alone addressed, I've made a decision.  By playtesting Shadowrun 4th Edition with a critical eye, rather than adding to a snowballing groupthink that the ill-considered and untested simulations that are being tossed into the rules and codeified into canon are fine and won't make the game too distorted and unrealistic to enjoy, I'm wasting my energy and pissing them off in the process.  Since I can't do a 180 and declare everything with SR4 to be okay, I'm no longer playtesting SR4.  I'm hanging up my badge.

I'm not saying I won't post here anymore or making any other such vacuous claims, but my posting frequency has decreased with the rampant negativity that people, game developers, have employed in "responding" to various strongly founded critical observations, and my subsequent realization as to the relative futility of repeateadly expressing an opinion that jives with the party line (or at least expressing that opinion, every developer I've known to express a diverging opinion about the product line has done so in secret, as if it's somehow shameful, or, more realistically, dangerous to their continued ability to make their say). It accomplishes zilch besides singling the critic out as someone who must hate Shadowrun, or at least hates what will inevitably be Shadowrun.

Harsh? Reactionary? Alarmist? Whiny? Any reader can feel free to attempt to discern and comment my diatribe's nature and motivations as much as they want. For my part, I didn't come by this conclusion an hour ago. It's been slowly evolving from observations I've made over the past months, and it is, sadly, the only real thing of merit I have left to say in the matter. I've looked over the rules, I've engaged and cultivated discussion, I've respected my non-disclosure agreement. There's nothing more I can do.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 22 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

Sooooo...that means a playtester spot is open? Where do i send my application. ;)

EDIT: Now that i think about it more....seriously i've got a group i'm GMing that next session in a couple of days will either die gloriously or raise a triumphant fist in victory and it will be a GM change and/or gamig system change anyway. They are a mixed bag of SR backgrounds. A couple longtime SR2/3 players, some SR3 from a few years down to maybe 6 months total, and one no SR at all yet. All age of majority so they can legally sign to secrecy.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Jun 22 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Addendum. There are people who will decide that by criticizing SR4, you hate Shadowrun, and there are people who won't bother reading into it even that far, and just decide that all the hard work you've done as a playtester, and the very hard decisions you've come to as a result, are all some sort of funny joke. This isn't funny to me. Working for FASA, then FanPro, had always been my dream prior to this. I know I'm alienating myself from ever achieving that objective by actually speaking my mind, but I'd rather destroy that dream than sit by silently, offering some illusion of tacit approval. I repeat. This. Isn't. Funny. To. Me.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 22 2005, 09:28 PM
Post #4

Dragon

QUOTE (Wireknight @ Jun 22 2005, 03:20 PM)
Addendum.  There are people who will decide that by criticizing SR4, you hate Shadowrun, ..... This.  Isn't. Funny.  To. Me.

If that is suppose to be a response to my post? I'm not sure exactly where the first part comes from. I've NEVER seen any posts from anyone here suggesting that. But then i haven't read them all i guess.

It might not be funny to you. I certainly didn't read that in your post. But it sure has it's humourous aspects from my vantage point over here. Not in your misery or motivations or seriousness. But, well, some times life is just damn funny for no apparent logical reason. Funny and beautiful.

So was this triggered by Bull's posts today? If so i must say that is an even further source of humour from the conclusions you reach. EDIT: For reasons that are more logical, though if you were already in a pissed off mood i can understand you coming to the conclusions you did.

+Quote Post
Nerbert
post Jun 22 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,280

WK, the implications of your post are depressing, and I hope that your e-mail and resignation has more effect then you would have had by remaining a playtester.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Jun 22 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

I am genuinely sorry if my observations and my subsequent decision are depressing, but bear in mind that I may hold a rules system's simulation capabilities to unrealistically high standards. It doesn't change my observations, nor many of my conclusions, but it also doesn't mean that you'll be disappointed by SR4. Only time will tell, in that regard.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Jun 22 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

I feel for you WK - playtesting something for your favorite game must have been a great honor - I know I would have giggled myself to sleep every night for a while.

You're the second playtester to speak negativley of SR4, and I really feel for both of you.

Hopefully the peeps at FP will respect your descision, and not hold it against you.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 22 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Eldritch)
You're the second playtester to speak negativley of SR4

On this board. Don't think there are only two.

~J

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jun 22 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Wireknight)
Addendum. There are people who will decide that by criticizing SR4, you hate Shadowrun, and there are people who won't bother reading into it even that far, and just decide that all the hard work you've done as a playtester, and the very hard decisions you've come to as a result, are all some sort of funny joke. This isn't funny to me. Working for FASA, then FanPro, had always been my dream prior to this. I know I'm alienating myself from ever achieving that objective by actually speaking my mind, but I'd rather destroy that dream than sit by silently, offering some illusion of tacit approval. I repeat. This. Isn't. Funny. To. Me.

This post represents the ultimate pwnage of anyone who says the SR4 forum has been too quick to judge. How can you stand in the face of this emotion?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 22 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Nerbert: No need to freak, unless you want SR4 to be more simulation and less game. Wire Knight's vision is likely to go towards simulation, which seems to be something he shares in common with mfb, the other playtester to post highly negative playtester comments here. Not that mfb didn't also mention other issuses he had.

On the other hand it seems apparent that Fanpro intends to make SR4 more a game, expecting there to be more market for a game than a [pen & paper] simulation. This is bound to make serious waves on these boards. Take a look around, and i don't just mean this SR4 subforum, and tell me that there isn't a strong underlying mood of "Dumpshock Forums: The Anal Retentives That Fun Forgot". Look at the reams of "that isn't realistic [enough]" comments that you'll find in Shadowrun rules forum. Is the percentage of those players, especially ones that are stridently of that vision, on DSF higher than in the current overall SR player population and among gamers in general? *shrug* I suspect so, and Fanpro is betting the house on it. We shall see.

Sadly this has been coming, and after reading mfb's post down below i was surprised he hadn't quit yet. There are likely more playtesters that are longtime hardcores that are having difficulties watching SR rules lose the simulation level complexities. At this point those people have to be already at, or coming to the harsh realization that SR4 isn't going to change much from where it is. [edit]At least in terms of the balance between attempting to simulate rather than provide a game.[/edit] That it just will never be anywhere near what they had a vision for, no matter what they say now. [edit]They could come to think that from the start of playtesting the deck was impossibly stacked against them altering the balance to their satisfication, which is quite possibily correct.[/edit]

That has to feel immensely fustrating. :(

But it also doesn't have me that worried about the chances of my enjoyment of SR4.

+Quote Post
Nerbert
post Jun 22 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wireknight @ Jun 22 2005, 04:51 PM)
I am genuinely sorry if my observations and my subsequent decision are depressing, but bear in mind that I may hold a rules system's simulation capabilities to unrealistically high standards.  It doesn't change my observations, nor many of my conclusions, but it also doesn't mean that you'll be disappointed by SR4.  Only time will tell, in that regard.

The more I hear about SR4, the happier I am. But I can appreciate that not everyone feels the same way.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jun 22 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

So was this triggered by Bull's posts today?

And if it was, it should be pointed out that Bull isn't on the SR4 design team and never was. He knows exactly what the other playtesters know, and wasn't consulted beyond the role of a regular playtester; his opinions and the manner that he expresses them are his alone.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 22 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #13

Dragon

QUOTE (Adam)
So was this triggered by Bull's posts today?

And if it was, it should be pointed out that Bull isn't on the SR4 design team and never was. He knows exactly what the other playtesters know, and wasn't consulted beyond the role of a regular playtester; his opinions and the manner that he expresses them are his alone.

Thanks for confirming that Adam. I was somewhat confused about the "game developers" text and reference to "certain comments on this forum".

+Quote Post
Taki
post Jun 22 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,343

Thanks bull : apparently from what I understand you didn't like that much sr4 in the first time, but you have been convinced through play testing.
it simply makes me happier and more confident about liking sr4.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Jun 22 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

I've been coming to the conclusion for months. Bull's posts did contribute, but in no greater degree (a far lesser degree; to be honest) than hundreds of other posts and what has to have been, personally, roughly a solid week (i.e. ~170 hours) of playtesting and discussion. I did misspeak when I said "game developers", and since everyone loves arguing semantics, I will clarify. Please replace "game developers" with "those who engage in development, contributory editing, design, and testing of rules pertaining to the Shadowrun roleplaying game system, so doing under the express permission of FanPro". I am aware of Bull's status as a playtester, not a developer, and it was confusing to use that term to refer to a set of individuals that is inclusive of those who are not actual line developers (technically, there is only one developer, everyone else is, to the best of my knowledge, a freelance contractor).

As far as my wanting to make it a simulation... where's the fun in simulation? If I wanted to work with simulation, I'd just stop working witn pen and paper altogether and move on to computers. They're much better at running complex simulations in negligable timeframes. What I am interested in is a game that I can immerse myself in, via realistic simulation within an elegant system. If every fourth or fifth in-play action results in my mind recoiling at the utter unreality of what the rules say just came to pass, given the situation, I'm not going to have fun. Shadowrun's always been something close to a method of telling a good story, and good stories aren't full of things that make the readers cringe. D&D, on the other hand, has always been (to me) a more freeform pen-and-paper version of a video game, so it's okay if a human has as much statistical chance of resisting and sustaining damage as a large ship.

I can't just shift my perceptions of Shadowrun from the former to the latter, which is what would be required in no small degree for me to gain the same level of enjoyment and immersion out of SR4 as I have out of SR2 and SR3.

+Quote Post
SirBedevere
post Jun 22 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #16

Knight Templar

Member No.: 6,424

QUOTE (Nerbert)
The more I hear about SR4, the happier I am.  But I can appreciate that not everyone feels the same way.

Thank you.

I genuinely hope that people do have a lot of fun with SR4; that will keep FanPro in business and putting out more SR stuff. However, from the FAQs and other official pronouncements I don't think I will be among that group. :(

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 22 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #17

Dragon

QUOTE (Wireknight)
... What I am interested in is a game that I can immerse myself in, via realistic simulation within an elegant system. ....

I didn't mean a true simulation per say, but a tendancy towards that. An attempt at simulating reality.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jun 23 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

like i've said before, i don't think SR needs to sacrifice the ability to simulate reality in order to gain a simpler/more streamlined ruleset. i think SR could greatly increase its ability to simulate reality, and greatly decrease the rules bulk and complexity at the same time. there are a lot of factors i feel the devs are sacrificing on the altar of the great god Simpler Rules, that really don't need to be sacrificed.

when i first saw the rules, i did not want to playtest them. i did anyway. i've seen a lot of good changes come through, but very little that i'd miss if i'd decided not to playtest in the first place.

+Quote Post
Nerbert
post Jun 23 2005, 01:37 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wireknight)
Shadowrun's always been something close to a method of telling a good story, and good stories aren't full of things that make the readers cringe. D&D, on the other hand, has always been (to me) a more freeform pen-and-paper version of a video game, so it's okay if a human has as much statistical chance of resisting and sustaining damage as a large ship.

My take on this, which may or may not be similar to the direction that I see Shadowrun taking, is that I do not rely on the rules to tell me a good story. I know what I think makes a good story, I have a pretty good idea of what my players think is a good story, so I write one. The fun for me is in seeing my story rewritten by the players and only occasionally influenced by a particular roll. I've always liked Shadowrun because of its detailed, intriguing setting and massive character customization and freedom.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jun 23 2005, 02:48 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Man...I just feel that there were so many things that a new edition of Shadowrun could have fixed. More rational damage codes, where a .30-.06 rifle isn't rivaled in power by a "heavy pistol", and where firing aimed single shots from your assault rifle is a viable option just like it is in real life. Better rules for suppressive fire to make it more dangerous, and the corrected rates of automatic fire to go hand in hand with that. Fixing the way recoil works. Fixing the outlandish and tragic martial arts system.

But, of course, none of these things were the point of SR4 from the beginning.

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Jun 23 2005, 03:47 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

It's good to hear all of the feedback about SR4. I'm a die hard SR guy, but I'm still gonna give SR4 a crack when it comes out. I've been playing in my buddy's Werewolf game (new WOD) and while I know that it isn't "realistic", it's vastly improved over the previous editions. The game has it's faults, but it's interesting to see my buddy, who has ran Werewolf since 1st edition, latch on to it. I love to run Shadowrun, but it's different mechanics and resolution systems are so "Not Friggin realistic" it isn't even funny. Lets be real here. Magic, Trolls, Cyberware. It's hard to make it seem too real when it just plain isn't. If you go buy the book, a full blown fire fight may last 30 seconds (wow 10 rounds, that's a lot of game time!) Most folks never miss when shooting (they may hit all armor, but they rarely miss completely. The one thing I like is the balance, and I've seen crappy GM's blow that up as well. I try to keep it pretty gritty (fights always seem to happen in the worst conditions in my games), but some people don't dig flattening ammo against armor all of the time. They want to pull off the exciting unrealistic crap that only happens in the movies. Thinking about how people will dump a system for new rules got me to thinking about some observations, try and follow my inane logic.
1. d20 Sucks. It forces it's players to think about twinking and not about the challenge of the game.
2. I still play d20. The GM I play with runs a fantastic setting and a great game, so I enjoy myself anyway.
3. regardless of how people feel, every game I have ever played had some room for improvement in their rules.
4. Yet the only ones I hated, were the ones where the GM sucked.
5. But since I'm playing, I'm still gonna have my fun.
6. SR4 may have even worse rules than SR3.
7. I kick ass as a GM, so my SR4 game will still be FUN!
8. Cause I don't let the rules "rule" my players style. I let them have fun no matter how wack their hair brained schemes are.
9. I like rules too, when I play Battletech or something competitive, not something story driven.
10. Speaking as a GM, we should remember we have choices. If GM's look at the new SR4 and decide it doesn't fit with what they like doing, they should skip it. I'm hoping streamlined rules will make a few other people take up the mantle and start spreading the love.
11. As long as a scrub ganger has a snowballs chance of hurting a seasoned vet it will still feel like SR to me.
12. If it doesn't, I'll be selling my copy of SR4 on E-Bay and continuing my SR3 game.
13. But... if that happens, I'll still be ready to play a game of SR4 if the GM is good :)

So in the end, do what you want, but don't bag on folks for doing what they want to, or bag on folks just trying to put out a product they hope will sell. If it ends up sucking bad and pissing everyone off, they lose money. If it just pisses US off and sells well to everyone else, well, that's capitalism. :vegm:
:nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen:

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 23 2005, 03:53 AM
Post #22

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

The thing that bothers me is the apparent misuse of Wireknight and other playtesters. What the hell's the point sitting them down at a table, saying "ok, roll these, tell us what you think." followed by "hmm.... ok, interesting point of view... moving on...". I always thought it would be awesome to be able to play test or free lance in any way for the game I love, especially seeing someone like AH "moving on up", but this.......

All I can say is that I'm sorry WireKnight, and thanks for trying.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Jun 23 2005, 04:01 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Man...I just feel that there were so many things that a new edition of Shadowrun could have fixed. More rational damage codes, where a .30-.06 rifle isn't rivaled in power by a "heavy pistol", and where firing aimed single shots from your assault rifle is a viable option just like it is in real life. Better rules for suppressive fire to make it more dangerous, and the corrected rates of automatic fire to go hand in hand with that. Fixing the way recoil works. Fixing the outlandish and tragic martial arts system.

But, of course, none of these things were the point of SR4 from the beginning.

Your one of a select few (myself and Kag being among them) that understand what SR4 could and should be.

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Jun 23 2005, 04:10 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

Since I'm not a play tester, I'm not sure exactly how Fan Pro handles comments. But I can tell you a little about software testing. (and not debugging, just getting an idea if people like it with user suggestions)
1. They usually have a lot of play testers (I'm not sure how many Fan Pro has recruited, so this might not stand up) Thus, they only pay attention to the suggestions that frequently come up from a majority of sources.
2. Is the fix cost effective? Suppose a lot of the play testers gripe about an aspect of the game. Does the proposed fix break something else? Is it too late to fix it without pushing back the publishing deadline?
3. Do all of the play testers chosen have different interests, and better yet, do they have a good mix of people familiar with SR and NOT familiar with Shadowrun.

Like I said, I don't know how Fan Pro is handling it, but I don't think Wire Knight (hopefully) was just plain ignored. It is frustrating to not see your ideas responded to, but that isn't the job of play tester, just give the suggestions and hope others share your opinion.
FanPro is a business, and a business in a the not so lucrative realm of Role Playing Games. Shadowrun is a nitch title, and I'm sure they would love to please everyone and sell a gajillion copies, but they got to go with what they can afford to do and with what they feel will make "most" folks happy.

:nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen:

+Quote Post
Lady Anaka
post Jun 23 2005, 04:16 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 873

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
The thing that bothers me is the apparent misuse of Wireknight and other playtesters. What the hell's the point sitting them down at a table, saying "ok, roll these, tell us what you think." followed by "hmm.... ok, interesting point of view... moving on...". I always thought it would be awesome to be able to play test or free lance in any way for the game I love, especially seeing someone like AH "moving on up", but this.......

All I can say is that I'm sorry WireKnight, and thanks for trying.

And what do you envision as the process? Especially when the playtesters are divided as to what should or should not be changed?

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 08:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.