IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> moving closer to cyberpunk..., eminent domain- you haven no rights!
nick012000
post Jun 24 2005, 08:34 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,398

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/na...-home-headlines

In a 5-4 ruling, the US Supreme Court has effectively abolished what remained of private property rights. In an extreme deviation from the original intent of "for public use", the court has vastly expanded the scope of Eminent Domain by ruling that "as long as officials hope to create jobs or raise tax collections, they can seize the homes of unwilling sellers".

That's right, folks, your US home can be seized if the government decides that an office building or shopping center will create more jobs and/or taxes than you do. Sure, property owners are entitled to "just compensation", but this is also essentially decided by the government.

In the words of dissenting justices, "Any property may now be taken for the benefit of another private party," and, "The beneficiaries are likely to be those citizens with disproportionate influence and power in the political process, including large corporations and development firms." (O'Conner)

And this is a Supreme Court ruling! There is no further chance of appeal short of reversal by a subsequent Supreme Court!

If you still do not fully grasp the implications of this, let me put it this way: Since all property is now potentially subject to seizure, government officials and politically connected people can now use Eminent Domain to target and harass specific groups and individuals. A person or an organization -- even a church can now be forcibly removed from an area by drawing up the appropriate development plans.

The essential (Natural) rights are life, liberty and property. These rights are interconnected. That is to say, a violation of property rights is tantamount to encroachment on the other two rights of life and liberty, because this is essentially a violation of free choice (liberty) and the time and effort (your life) it took to create or obtain that property.

You have no rights.
The Supreme Court just said so.

(taken from here with permission)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jun 24 2005, 08:40 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

not according to the Bill of Rights. the three natural rights are life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. "property" didn't make it in because the crown personally owned all the land the colonies lived on, so including "property" would be self-defeating--the whole point of the revolution was to steal the crown's land.

tangent aside, i agree--that is some scary shit, right there.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 24 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #3

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Y-woah.

Ooookay now. Time to start buying assualt rifles, ammo, and kevlars.

This is bull. BULLcrapicus.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 24 2005, 08:53 AM
Post #4

Horror

As an aside, I wonder how long it is until Extraterritoriality? God I hope not...

This is some scary and insane crap... I'm sitting here and watching my nation flush itself right down the crapper.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 24 2005, 08:54 AM
Post #5

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Sweet! I can't wait to get a job as a jackbooted thug, able to pillage and roam where and how I please. This'll be great.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 24 2005, 08:59 AM
Post #6

Horror

Hooo boy...

Where does the word Jackboot come from, and what does it mean, anyhow...

/me never got that.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Jun 24 2005, 09:20 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Hooo boy...

Where does the word Jackboot come from, and what does it mean, anyhow...

/me never got that.

Jackboots (Deutsch: Schaftstiefel) aka "Knobelbecher" (lit: Dice rolling cups) are long boots (mid-claf in the latest incarnation) without laces, held up by close fitting.

The latest users where some of the GoodGuys that is the Sowjet Army, the East German Peoples army (both at least on the dress uniform) and, until the 1943/44 uniform issue, the German Wehrmacht.

The latter, also featuring a hobnailed sole IIRC, are the common root of the "oppresiv Jackboot" quotes.

WWII Veterans always told us that the best piece of equipment introduced in the german Bundeswehr are the modern combat boots and that jackboots where a lousy footwear, even more so in the winter.

Birdy

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 24 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #8

Horror

Aaaaaah.

Enlightenment dawns. I thank you.

*bows to Birdy.*

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 24 2005, 09:23 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

At least this explains corp enclaves etc. Why own your own home and the land it's on when the government can sieze both, build an Azzie mall in their place and give you $5 UCAS in "compensation"? I'd be begging to have my home owned by a megacorp.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jun 24 2005, 09:35 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

Not quite. The company building the office building doesn't sieze your home; The government does it on their behalf. The company would have to petition the local government to evict you, and so the local government would have to be willing to do so. I can't imagine this being done very often, but if the need for that specific plot of land is compelling enough, well, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 24 2005, 09:38 AM
Post #11

Horror

Wow Panzer. You're not getting it.

Yeah... This is frightening. VERY frightening.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 24 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #12

Freelance Elf

Well, there's a difference between "not getting it" and "freaking out and running to the store to buy the necessary supplies for a tin foil hat."

I think he was spot no when he said "I don't imagine this sort of thing happening very often."

Yes, they can do it if they want to, now, and there's nothing you can do about it. No, I don't think that means it'll happen with amazing frequency and without good reason. Yes, I try to think the best of my government. No, I know I'm not right very often about that. ;)

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 24 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #13

Horror

Forget the tinfoil hat, I'm stocking up on ammo and food and water.

*very spooked.*

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jun 24 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Panzergeist)
The company building the office building doesn't sieze your home; The government does it on their behalf.
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Why own your own home and the land it's on when the government can sieze both, build an Azzie mall in their place and give you $5 UCAS in "compensation"?

Reading is good for you. Try it some time.

QUOTE (Critias)
No, I don't think that means it'll happen with amazing frequency and without good reason.

IRL, in a civilized Western country, you're right. But assuming there's no legal restraing for governments to do so in the world of Shadowrun? Because we all know (semi-)cyberpunk governments aren't at all corrupt.

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Jun 24 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,628

It is pretty scary, I guess the big question is where does it end? We have similar laws here in Canada though with no major conflicts yet.

I imagine though if it begins a landslide of corporate takeovers, there might be civil war...maybe John Titor wasn't crazy afterall. :P

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 24 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #16

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Critias)
No, I don't think that means it'll happen with amazing frequency and without good reason.

IRL, in a civilized Western country, you're right. But assuming there's no legal restraing for governments to do so in the world of Shadowrun? Because we all know (semi-)cyberpunk governments aren't at all corrupt.

Err, yeah. Sorry. Thought we were all yakking about RL.

I mean, it's a great law to have on the books, and sets a fantastic precedence for anyone wanting to do cyberpunkish writing or whatever, sure. I agree with that totally. I don't, personally, find it all that "scary," though. I understand how it could be, but I don't think it will be.

Plus, well, I don't own all that much stuff. So I ent skeered.

+Quote Post
SirBedevere
post Jun 24 2005, 10:39 AM
Post #17

Knight Templar

Member No.: 6,424

QUOTE (Panzergeist)
.......the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

No, the needs of the rich outweigh the needs of the poor!

Another application of the 'Golden Rule'. Whoever has the gold makes the rules. :D

+Quote Post
weblife
post Jun 24 2005, 10:41 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

AFAIK the state, here in Denmark, has always had the privilege of apropriating land if the greater good was dependent on it. Fx for railroads and highways etc.

And yes, there have been cases where the public value of the land has mysteriously decreased in the years leading up to a takeover. These cases usually get whipped up in the media, and a compromise is found between the current owner and the city. - Usually it still ends up to the citys benefit.

Private person vs. The System = Automatic win for the System.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jun 24 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #19

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (weblife)
AFAIK the state, here in Denmark, has always had the privilege of apropriating land if the greater good was dependent on it. Fx for railroads and highways etc.

But a railway isn't the same as a strip mall, or beach condos. There have been quite a number of cases of a house owned by a family for generations getting bought for the low price end (since it's the gov't who pays the appraiser) and demolished for some big corp to move in 'because it's for the public good'.

Forget saving up for a house, I'm saving up for ammo!

+Quote Post
Spark
post Jun 24 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,153

QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (weblife @ Jun 24 2005, 05:41 AM)

But a railway isn't the same as a strip mall, or beach condos. There have been quite a number of cases of a house owned by a family for generations getting bought for the low price end (since it's the gov't who pays the appraiser) and demolished for some big corp to move in 'because it's for the public good'.

Forget saving up for a house, I'm saving up for ammo!

dude ya! im with nezumi on this one. that is frickin scary! i'll be doing to things:
1. buying mucho guns (in like a couple months because then its legal)
2. buying corporate offic... i mean land. :D
3. Complaing to my uncle as he is very well connected in DC.
4. playing shadowrun to get ready and to of course build up my soul for the coming crap! j.k. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Rev
post Jun 24 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

By the way this has been happening for decades, the supreme court just (stupidly) made it official.

Wal-Mart, Target and other big box stores are some of the more egregious examples, but just about every major city has a sports stadium where eminent domain was used to give a bunch of multi-millionaires and thier employers a place of business on prime real estate.

But yea, reminds me of the post on that thread about the lifestyle customization rules: real estate development is fertile ground for shadowruns.

+Quote Post
Req
post Jun 24 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 277

Dammit, I just closed on my first house YESTERDAY.

Timing is everything. :P

+Quote Post
Charon
post Jun 24 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

The "just compensation" might be decided by the government but now it's backed by a supreme court judgement. Expect the court to expand on exactly what "just compensation" means sooner or later. Whenever a property is seized and compensation ends up below market value, I'd assume the case will be taken to court.

All in all, nothing to get panicked about IMO. It doesn't really change the statu quo and if rules for "just compensation" becomes clarified and codified as a result of this ruling, it could improve it. In the states, anyway.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 24 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #24

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The Supreme Court isn't the only court in the land. It is just the highest Federal Court. It can only rule on matters of Federal Inerest. If a State court determines that State law restricts eminent domain then the Supreme Court rulling doesn't matter at all in that State..

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jun 24 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

This is only one component. The other component is political sustainability. If the Federal government were to go around seizing property left and right the question would become whether or not there'd be enough political opposition to change the law again or not.

I won't worry about it till abuses start happening.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.