IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can loa deck?
Can loa deck?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 28
Guests cannot vote 
Botch
post Jun 29 2005, 09:37 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,538

Could a loa or other possessing spirit-thingy use a host body to access the Matrix? Would it be out of the question to see a earth elemental sat in front of keyboard happily surfing the net?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jun 29 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #2

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

Spirits follow the possessing rules in MitS.77 and may attempt to rig or deck, if so inclined.

An earth elemental not using possessing could try using a trode rig, but the contact points would probably not align well with its alien physiology.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jun 29 2005, 10:26 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Dammit! Tizos beat me to it. I so wanted to be a book ninja. :grr:

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jun 29 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

A trode rig would devinatly not function on a spirit.

A materialised spirit could easily use a tortoise terminal

A possessing spirit (eg loa) would be able to access anything plugged into a data jack including a deck or other terminal.

It is worth noting that summoned spirits do not have a computing skill or even basic familiarity with the concept of the matrix so chances are they are not very good at it unless they are free spirits of man that have been such for some time. most deserve the computer illiterate flaw.

Edward

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 29 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Edward @ Jun 29 2005, 09:29 AM)
It is worth noting that summoned spirits do not have a computing skill or even basic familiarity with the concept of the matrix so chances are they are not very good at it unless they are free spirits of man that have been such for some time. most deserve the computer illiterate flaw.

Or they are a master shedim possesing the corpse of someone that had the required skills, or perhaps the skill was kept as a bit of residue from a previous host corpse.

EDIT: Or the possessing spirit learned the skills somehow? That would take time though, and in some cases would require overcoming language barriers. What limits do you people put on spirits advancing in Skills? Is it always a requirement to get a Karama donation?

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jun 29 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (MitS 116)
Free spirits may also use Good Karma to improve their skills, the same as any other character.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 29 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #7

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

I'd think they would have to control a person to do it for them, since they can't physically see a computer screen, they instead see the (washed out) emotional context of it.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jun 29 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Ok I forgot shedim.

Also I was under the impression that a materialised spirit was capable of seeing perfectly well on the physical.

Edward

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jun 29 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #9

Runner

There is no statement that materialization grants physical senses, but there is also no statement that materialized spirits face the kinds of penalties that projecting mages are given. Since physical senses are not explicitly stated either way, it would be a GM call.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jun 29 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

I can point to references in fluff that say they can. For example in burning bright the central character takes his ally spirit with him on an astral jaunt specifically so there will be somebody that can read the street signs.

Edward

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jun 29 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #11

Runner

Well, I was only looking at the rules. If you want to bring the novels in, then we also need to know how much extra karma it costs to make your ally spirit have forms that also provide functions outside their normal attributes. I'm specifically thinking of motorcycle ally spirits, although it also applies to dikoted AVS ally spirits.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 29 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #12

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

now if sr tech allowed for mind uploads, what would happen if a spirit posessed a person and then initiated a upload?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Jun 29 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Edward @ Jun 29 2005, 10:06 AM)
Ok I forgot shedim.

They like it when you do that. :evil:

@Herald of Verjigorm : Ok, partially that about the karama. I guess if they earned the karma they'd be set too.

I also was thinking about limits on skills that aren't applicable in their native state. Like could they learn Athletics:Parachuting (something you definately don't want to be Defaulting to ;) ), and to what level in theory only (when they have no physical presence)? Or if the spirit learned something like that while materialized or possessing a given body, would the skill be usuable (with our without penality) in another body?

+Quote Post
Botch
post Jun 29 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,538

QUOTE (BitBasher)
I'd think they would have to control a person to do it for them, since they can't physically see a computer screen, they instead see the (washed out) emotional context of it.

Rig the tortoise as for a blind user?

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jun 29 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #15

Runner

There are definately skills that you would wonder why a spirit would study them (athletics?, I don't have muscles and I can go 8,000 km/h anyway), but they can still at least learn the concepts.
This example has inspired me to consider a free spirit gym teacher. Even more annoying than the former athlete ones because it doesn't get tired, ever. Toss in that the human form power provides a form with minimum physical stats equal to an average of the race, and only going up with spirit energy counted.

Biotech would also be questionable, the spirit can use the skill to aid others (on make others suffer), but cannot understand the experience without some massive memory-reading magical trick. Horrible bedside manners for years, just because the spirit doesn't know what causes pain in humans.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 29 2005, 11:50 PM
Post #16

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

As possessing spirit has access to all of its host's knowledge and skills. (SR3p.99)

If a Loa possessed a decker it could deck just as easily as the host can.

Actually, if a Shaman was really insecure he could summon a spirit with the Possession power and order it to control his body and perform a particulary unnerving task with it.

For example, a person could have a lucritive career as a motivational speaker despite a fear of speaking in public by summoning a spirit and having it perform the lecture in his body. The spirit would be able to lecture just as easily as the speaker - especially if it had equal or greater Chrasmia.

It is a great technique for wagemages who have to make a presentation to a very high ranking crowd.

A particulary lazy magician could bind a free spirit and order it to take over his life completely while his mind astral body nap through it all.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.