IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the (r) in making weapons and Conceal, FCU cost removes conceal penalty?
BlackSmith
post Sep 17 2003, 08:49 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,101

lets say i put range finder in my weapon and pay the FCU ,25.
do i still get the conceal penalty?

if i do, why should i ever put any additions to my weapon and pay FCU from it?
i mean, what's the point?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Sep 17 2003, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

First, no, you don't. It's integral. Second, ditch the firearms creation rules because they're absolutely ridiculous. Just put something together that seems sane and get your GM to vet it.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Sep 17 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #3

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

Use spud's Firearms Creation Guidelines. Hell of a lot better IMO. :)

+Quote Post
Raptor1033
post Sep 18 2003, 03:37 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,370

so how come spud's rules don't allow you to add modifications to shotgun stocks and grips? rather odd in my eyes
/edit/ and on the same note, why not an under mod if the shotgun isn't pump action? and why can't you have a telescoping stock with shock pads on the ends? /edit/

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Sep 18 2003, 03:44 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Well, if the concealablility penalty is what your problems is, then you might be glad to know that rangefinders don't have one. That said, the CC firearm design rules suck the fat one.

+Quote Post
Morphling The Pr...
post Sep 18 2003, 04:29 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 5,588

I don't like the way people poo-poo the creation rules in the CC. They aren't fabulous or kind, no. But I'm pretty sure they were meant to be for weapon techs building guns from kits, bits and parts of other guns. They aren't meant to be the ways to find the cost and potentials of precisely engineered weaponry. I suppose for new 'off the rack' weapons should just be conjured at GM will, or with the alternate rules by kind runners, like Peter Millholland.

Just my $.02. Maybe I'm just too kind.

+Quote Post
BlackSmith
post Sep 18 2003, 05:58 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
First, no, you don't. It's integral.

this was the thing i was looking for.
any chance for page number to back that one up also?

btw.
i gave a look for the link you gave about alternative weapon creation and That was ridicilous.
sure it might be nice in it's own system but it does not coupe well with other SR weapons. "well you got ruger thunder hawk, too bad. i got my custom made pistol baby that does as much damage in single shot".

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post Sep 24 2003, 02:43 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,166

I have no prolem with the rules in Cannon Companion. I've made a bunch of guns with it and my players love them. The only thing, is that I use The Shadowrun Supplemental's firearm prices, the sensible way when designing a "mass-market" gun.
The only proplem I have with the CC rules is, more options. I want more options.
By the way FlakJacket, your link doesn't work.

The reference is on page 80 in the CC, "Space Restrictions".
"Modifications made to a firearm take up not only internal space, as represented by their FCU cost, but also mounting space."
Also on page 74: "FCU: Firearm construction units are abstract units that determine how much internal space the firearm offers to accommodate design options and modifications." Internal Space means it's internal.

+Quote Post
post Oct 2 2003, 12:39 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,663

First: Personally I like the Cannon Companion Gun Generating Rules.

It's hard to be a munchkin with them, which I think is a great thing.

The next thing is can you put more then one item on a mount of their both internal?

Just wondering what's other peoples ideas on this concept is. (I am not a gun designer and I have never used a gun so I have no idea about these things.)

Just want to be as accurate to a real piece of weaponry as possible.

2:52:16
Try to do it faster, I dare ya!

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 2 2003, 05:20 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

hahah. it's hard to play munchkin with the CC rules? hoooo.

that said, it's just as easy to play munchkin with spud's rules. the problem isn't really the rules--or, rather, there isn't really a problem. you can be a munchkin with any ruleset.

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post Oct 2 2003, 03:32 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,166

QUOTE (252)
The next thing is can you put more then one item on a mount of their both internal?

Me too and No.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Oct 2 2003, 06:10 PM
Post #12

Runner

It's hard to be a munchkin with them, which I think is a great thing.

Are you absolutely insane? The gun creation rules are notorious for being the most easily munchkinned rules in the game. I tried using them to put together a gun and had trouble coming up with something even remotely sane. No one should be forced to use them.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 2 2003, 07:29 PM
Post #13

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

sane in real world context or SR context? remeber that while they look the same they are not so...

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Oct 2 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #14

Runner

The rules fail absolutely in real life, but, then again, so do all of SR's guns, independant of the rules. The difference is that the gun creation rules are miserable failures even within the context of Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
post Oct 3 2003, 03:16 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,663

And if they are such great failures can you please go on. So that I might be able to make a decently realistic weapon. I mean, I know I have never shot a gun. I am sure that most of the movie and TV crap is just that totally fictional. So please I invite you to go on with what a realistic gun would be like. Try any type, Pistol, to an Assault Cannon.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Oct 3 2003, 06:21 AM
Post #16

Runner

Assuming you aren't up for completely rewriting Shadowrun's combat system, or, hell, happen to like it, there's no point in trying to come up with a single realistic weapon to stick it into Shadowrun next to a ton of of stuff that defies physics, intelligence, and/or sensibility. If you do feel like ditching canon combat, give Raygun's rules a shot. If not, I suggest you just look at something that's in the same class as the weapon you want to put together and work from there. Sensible judgement beats the crap out of rules any day.

I have a large set of semirealistic weapons that mesh with the canon stuff lying around. Still needs a bunch of flavor text writing, but I might as well get that done and post it here some time in the next few days to give you and idea of what I mean.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 3 2003, 12:48 PM
Post #17

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

the big problem is that whilesr tryeds to be realistic it allso tryes to be fun, and those two dont allways mix. would it be fun to have rules for gravity effect on longe range shots and so on? having to calculate the diffrence in effect when adding say 5 cm to the barrel of the gun? i say no, but if you dont like the rules then dont use them (i have seen people doing a total covnert on games like D&D + others so)...

but this is realy the wrong thread to discuss ones views, the opening was a question about how the rules work, not about finding some alternate rules system...

+Quote Post
BlackSmith
post Oct 5 2003, 04:36 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Are you absolutely insane? The gun creation rules are notorious for being the most easily munchkinned rules in the game. I tried using them to put together a gun and had trouble coming up with something even remotely sane. No one should be forced to use them.

thanks for the page numbers Rajaat99.

would you show me your insane gun then? or did you just flip it trough the rules and made mental note that this sucks?
because i have made lots of excelent guns with the system and i would like to see how you abjuse it.
only thing that is see that should be worked is the barrel reduction/extencion part.

also his note about
"Why do they generally weigh less than other Shadowun firearms?" Because the weights listed in Shadowrun are notoriously screwy. What is listed under weight ratings is called a "kilogram". It should actually be called a pound. Things are excessively heavy in Shadowrun because of this.
is groundless.
his own weapons weight rough the same and using kilos dont screw anything up.
if i would be mean, i would just say that he can't adapt to use the world wide scales thus use metric/kilo system.

i dont know what has been the idea but these so called more "realistic" rules.
i ended up just a assult rifle that has concealability of 9 and can fire 20 rounds per combat phase.
meaning that it has higher ROF than books minigun and it is smaller than pistol having the same time much bigger caliber. if you use his suggested new ROF table for weapons, his own made weapons lack the speed to match up it and book guns are useless.
to me it is not realistic to have a assult rifle that is smaller than a pistol and pack a better puch.
no no no.

also using his rules removes sanity to use any of the SR original weapons because they all hang back in money/power/weight/concealability vs his own system made weapons.

his site has many good points but also lots of flaws.
one big flaw is that he thinks that aiming targets with scope from long ranges is harder if they are moving than using the scope to aim close targets that are moving while it is in reality just the opposite.
hiting a dear running 5m past you with a scope is a real pain in the ass, but hiting a moving target from 1km away is ricidiciously easy.[/B]

+Quote Post
Finbar
post Oct 5 2003, 10:28 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 2,417

How to abuse it?

You can make an Assault Rifle with underbarrel Grenade Launcher, with a conceal of 9, go look up what else has a conceal of 9

+Quote Post
Morphling The Pr...
post Oct 6 2003, 01:56 AM
Post #20

Target

QUOTE (Finbar)
How to abuse it?

You can make an Assault Rifle with underbarrel Grenade Launcher, with a conceal of 9, go look up what else has a conceal of 9

A monowhip has conceal 10, for comparison.

Heh, at that point, the normal munchkin avoidance systems should kick in and the GM should veto that with authority. Then again, if someone is a good enough weaponsmith and has the proper parts and time, they probably could make a modestly small AR. I unfortunately do not own the CC, so could someone make positive that Finbar hasn't overlooked a limitation on AR building? Sounds like the would have caught something that heinous in creation. Then again, maybe not.
-------------------

there's no vestige of a beginning
no prospect of an end
when we all disintegrate it will all happen again

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post Oct 6 2003, 02:39 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,963

Here's a few sample guns that are better than anything in the book

Frame: Shotgun(130 DP)
Ammo loading(Clip): +10 DP, -1 Conceal
Increased Power 2: +160 DP, +.5 weight, -.5 FCU
Weight Decrease 6: +30 DP, -1.5 weight
Extended clip 30: +60 DP

The end result: 1,950 nuyen, BUT, it's superior to any non-burst firing shotgun in the books. Why? It's the only clip-firing shotgun that has a base power of 10. About twice as expensive as a standard shotgun, but any decently-paid shadowrunner won't even blink at it. For something that's actually better than anything else in the books shotgun-wise, slap on Burst Fire for another 500 nuyen. There are no other shotguns in the books that are burst firing, have a clip(A definite plus over manual), and have a power of 10. It may have a conceal of 2, but you don't buy this shotgun for concealabilith or subtly, you buy it for the ability to kill other people. You can add a Gas Vent IV to the barrel, personalize the grip, and add shockpads to get the 6 RC you need. If you like, you can remove the extended clip portion and just add it after market because it wont be subject to Street Index. You'll also may want to use add the Extended Clip modification to it after market, since after market it isn't subject to street index but you also have to pay someone to add it.

Frame: Sporting Rifle(125 DP)
Ammo loading(Clip): +10 DP, -1 conceal
Firing Mode: SA/BF, +100 DP,
Increased power 2: +160 DP, +.5 weight, -.5 FCU
Weight Decrease 6: +30 DP, -1.5 weight
Extended clip 30: +60 DP

Looks an awful lot like that first one, doesn't it? That's because the principle of the same, only it's arguably worse because of the much greater range and because there are TWO burst firing sporting rifles in the books and they're both in the modular gun designs. There's simply no excuse to ever use any sporting rifle unless money is very important.

Have I made my point yet?

A rule should be implemented if it adds more options to what is optimal to do. For example, if a certain gun is overpowered to the point that everyone uses it to the exclusion of other guns, it should probably be nerfed. If a certain gun is never used, it could probably use a power up UNLESS it's just that it's very specialized but IS very good at whatever it's specialized in. For example, heavy pistols are fairly balanced against one another. Some are exceptionally specialized, but almost all of them have some use. The CC weapon creation rules are NOT good because they greatly limit the weapons you can maybe choose. Every shotgun will be the same because you CAN make the perfect shotgun, every assault rifle will be the same because you CAN make the perfect assault rifle.

You can preach all you want about "That's a very distinctive gun! You'll be recognized by it!" or any other argument but it's pointless. That argument is wrong because if there's a perfect shotgun, every shadowrunner under the sun will use it. It's not like FASA didn't anticipate people making guns better than anything in the book. Their Ares Thunderer had to have arbitrary story limitiations added in order to be kind of balanced, along with having a heavy street index in order to get approved by that GM. If you use the rules as written without applying more limitations to the guns, they WILL be broken and everyone WILL use the same gun eventually. Arbitrairily assigning statistics to guns and comparing them to other guns is more likely to get you a balanced weapon than the CC rules.

+Quote Post
Morphling The Pr...
post Oct 6 2003, 04:06 AM
Post #22

Target

QUOTE (Modesitt)
A rule should be implemented if it adds more options to what is optimal to do.  For example, if a certain gun is overpowered to the point that everyone uses it to the exclusion of other guns, it should probably be nerfed.  If a certain gun is never used, it could probably use a power up UNLESS it's just that it's very specialized but IS very good at whatever it's specialized in.

Sure, that makes some sense in the game balancing sense, but in the reality there will be products with will be just plain better than the competition in most areas.

Why don't the megacorps make perfect guns? Profit. Decent, cheap guns make a lot more than the world's most perfectly refined gun.

QUOTE (Modesitt)
Every shotgun will be the same because you CAN make the perfect shotgun, every assault rifle will be the same because you CAN make the perfect assault rifle.

No, you can't make the perfect anything. The DP and FCU will run out eventually, and the models have modest limits on them. If I need a concealable, break action heavy pistol, it will NOT be similar to the person who needs a 7 bullet revolver with kick to spare. You are overgeneralizing the needs of Shadowrunners as being all about concealment or all about power or all about the number of bullets heaved. To some people, a biometric safty is most important. Or ceramic construction. Or a secondary weapon system.

It's quite possible to make the perfect gun FOR YOU, but it's not necessarily going to be the perfect gun for me, or for Sammy Sammi over there. Also, the perfect gun is often the one that you don't have to pay 3 times as much to have someone else build for you. Also, the likelihood of my Ares Predator randomly breaking is exponentially minute, while the likelihood of my homemade gun breaking is much higher.

QUOTE (Modesitt)
It's not like FASA didn't anticipate people making guns better than anything in the book.  Their Ares Thunderer had to have arbitrary story limitiations added in order to be kind of balanced, along with having a heavy street index in order to get approved by that GM.  If you use the rules as written without applying more limitations to the guns, they WILL be broken and everyone WILL use the same gun eventually.  Arbitrairily assigning statistics to guns and comparing them to other guns is more likely to get you a balanced weapon than the CC rules.

As I've said before, I'm almost positive it's primarily meant for kit-built guns, not off-the-rack guns, though it can be applied that way. Hence, unless shadowrunners have exactly the same needs, they will not have the same 'perfect gun.'

That's just my humble opinion. I could be wrong.

+Quote Post
BlackSmith
post Oct 6 2003, 06:09 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

assult rifle with grenader and conceal 9?
get real. CC rules wont alllow it.

Internal magazine +1
bullpup +2
reduced barrel +2 (We house rule that reduced barrel increases the weapons conceal equal to (frames conseal x 1,5) but it also halves the range)

total of +5.

uuh.
now you got assult rifle that has magazine capacity of 1 and cabale of SA/BF/FA.

~

my character(s) usualy uses two or three custom weapons.
one sporting rifle that is cabable for burst fire and has conceal -2 (aka none) OR sporting rifle that has conceal 5.
Sniper rifle that has huge range and packs a best puch in the game with compleatly ceramic and easy break down + top on that all the scopes you can get with guncam.
Heavy pistol that is compleatly ceramic and packs a smart2 with voice activation.

ok now you say that they all are bad (in one way or another.) BUT, there is one point of custom made weapons.
they are unique.
see the guns in the books are mass produced weapons.
if someone kills bob the night clerk with remington the cops can't do nothing else but hope they get a cross the same ballistics some other place and with some gun that matches to it.

you go shooting around barrels all red with that your unique weapon of yours and you got few major problems.
1. when you need ammo, you have to custom order it and that is never easy. specialy without SIN.
2. leave even one shell at the crime scene and the cops can track you down. if you got a SIN they come to your door. if you dont have, they might still com trough your door. gunsmiths are not that lojal. specialy if money talks.
3. the ballisitics has it Sooooooo Easy to pin point you weapon among all the hundre... eh one custom made weapon(s) that is not registered this side of the sea. best of all to them if your gun IS registered so they can walk right in and take balistics from it.
4. having a custom weapon Always draws atention when you pull it out. you are always rembered (months at least) and sometimes you are bombed with Q's about it. best of all some, gun freaks might even steal it from you.

sure there are ways to get around these points.
1. use explosive or disintigrating ammo and pray that they all break down.
2. use caseless ammo and make your own ammo.
3. same as 1 and dont register your gun at any place.
4. this one is easy. don't use it.
but then the weapon comes rapidly more trouble than packing a one mass produced weapon.

so you can make any damn combination with CC and you get balanced weapon.

sure my sniper rifle (H-K 1667 Mes.Sa.N.ger) has more options, packs a better punch and much better range than Barret but it also costs 3-4 times more than barret and has higher availability plus if cops would get their hands on it they would have the murder weapon for over hundred sniper hits.
and when gun starts to cost more than 100k DOES make a deal.
now you might wonder how do i get so high prices? look my point 3 and you figure it out.

(i dont mind continuing this discussion here. i got my answers already. thanks again Rajaat99)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 6 2003, 10:41 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i don't see anything really wrong with giving a sporting rifle BF. in real life, they're called battle rifles--there's no real hardline division between a battle rifle and an assault rifle (stupid insane SR bullshit skills), but a battle rifle generally chambers a higher-power round, like a 7.62 as opposed to the 5.56 or 5.45.

+Quote Post
BlackSmith
post Oct 6 2003, 11:23 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

well the real life difference is that when you dodge to the dirt with your (hutting) rifle, the game is over.
on the other hand assult rifle will be spiting water, sand, dirt but still kicking like a dream.

and (sporting) rifles are not costructed to handle FA while Assault rifles are.
it is compleatly OK to have in BR in a (sprotting) rifle or a shotgun. they recoil is just awfull but manigable. Assault Rifles are build to handle the recoil and the stress.

and like you self said. Assult rifles pack a smaller bullets while (sportting) rifles use Bigger Punch ammo.

thus the divining (sporting) rifles and Assault Rifles has solid grounds.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.