Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adepts, They walk among us...
Digital Heroin
post Jul 9 2005, 06:23 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,302

A regular person looks at the city around them, and they see concrete and glass, maybe a little fancy architecture to catch the eye. Not this man. I know only his name, and that is David Belle. He is a practitioner of the art of parkour, the expression of flow and grace through movement. He is an adept, in body and mind:

http://www.lookatentertainment.com/nneu231.../vids/v-489.wmv

Oh, and that was one cheesy intro, yes it was. Regardless, this guy is the reason they have to put disclaimers all over parkour sites. Daayum.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Jul 9 2005, 06:23 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

And damnit I should know better than to post again after an error...

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Jul 9 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,628

There was a thread or two about him before. Truly awsome. I read somewhere that he has a 20 foot standing broad jump.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Jul 9 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

Hehe, thats cool. But really, it should be no surprise that its possible. He moves like a chimpansee or similar ape, which makes sense.

But daamn he must be training alot.

The Adept in the SR sense, would be able to do this, be better at it, and at the same time have a list of other feats that he can Also do.

Respect to this guy though. 8)

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Jul 9 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Remember, Adepts weren't even recognized at first, because they're power isn't always flash and bang. This guy is real life, just better... well, ok, not real life. I don't go jumping rooftop to rooftop, that's way advanced parkour. I'd be lucky if I could leap a rail without ranging my shin off of it.... which didn't happen while I was drunk in Prince Rupert, nope, not at all. Part of me watches this and thinks: 'yeah, this is what Adepts do in their spare time'

+Quote Post
sanctusmortis
post Jul 9 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 7,444

I remember watching him train a load of kids. It is well and truly amazing, but I'd say it was more Athletics 6.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Jul 10 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

Wow. My second man-crush. After Johnny Depp.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Jul 10 2005, 01:31 AM
Post #8

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

Websense catagorizes this guy as "tasteless".

I'm sure if I ever saw what this guy was doing, it'd be really cool. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jul 10 2005, 02:38 AM
Post #9

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Is anyone reminded of the Matrix?

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Jul 10 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,628

Speaking of adepts, has anyone seen Criss Angel? That bugger can do some amazing stuff, he catches arrows and lights himself on fire and levitates and stuff. He's a stage magician who does stunts and his street magic would make David Blaine's head explode.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 10 2005, 01:25 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Parcour is a sport/hobby that more and more people started to get into. It's like doing Jackie Chan stunts as a hobby.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk.

+Quote Post
sanctusmortis
post Jul 10 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,444

It's also known as "free running". Like any socially acceptable hobby (ie, sporting and not just for toffs), it's getting a computer game series...

The stuff they do is amazing. The documentary following Free Running UK was amazing; stuff like the training apparatus used being basically improvised formations made out out of crash pads rigged together, kids at the age of 7 springboarding into a flip to catch a ledge, and a grown man literally running across the roofs of Wembley...

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jul 10 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Think the BBC had an advert (of Sorts) with someone free running across london.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 10 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

For Nike, I think: and there was more than one of them.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jul 10 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 10 2005, 10:08 PM)
For Nike, I think: and there was more than one of them.

If it was then it wasn't on the BBC. They don't do product adverts.

The one i saw was Definatly BBC

And those Other Threads
A New Martial Art
Need An Adept Power
Great Leap, Improved Acrobatics

+Quote Post
Frater Inominatu...
post Jul 10 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,316

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Try it once and you'll change your mind. :love:

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jul 11 2005, 01:37 AM
Post #17

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Frater Inominatus)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jul 10 2005, 09:25 AM)

Your mind might be changed by a concussion, but it's a change, all the same.

+Quote Post
Frater Inominatu...
post Jul 11 2005, 01:49 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

There are risks to everything in life. Eating, sleeping, even breathing. Besides, bones heal, concussions too. It's just pain. It's all only temporary anyway, so why not enjoy life and LIVE?

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Jul 11 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

Even death is not to be feared by those who lived wisely.

Siddartha Gautama.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 11 2005, 03:37 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Frater Inominatus @ Jul 10 2005, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jul 10 2005, 09:25 AM)

I'm sure it's an amazing feeling. But, you know, intellectually, the risk to reward ratio isn't very good. The risk of serious injury is much more present than in many other highly rewarding activities I could do, such as playing judo, playing boxing, playing a video game, playing SR, etc etc etc.

It's all about risk management. I don't drive, either, because I've lived in cities and the risks associated with driving are relatively high compared with the risk of my getting injured if I play judo or something. I try to eat a balanced diet low in fat and cholesterol because of the risk of death by heart disease for people living in the US.

I don't understand how you can say that that's not living. It precisely is about living; living intelligently.

Also, depending on the height from which you fall and how you fall, you might get something that you don't recover from. Not all injuries can be recovered from fully, and strange falls from ten stories up could certainly produce some permanent injuries if you're unlucky enough.

+Quote Post
Frater Inominatu...
post Jul 11 2005, 01:05 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

How can you say the reward isn't worth the risk when you haven't tried it? Have you ever accomplished something amazing? If you have then you know the exhilaration of that success goes with you for the rest of your life. Hiking the AT, reaching a summit, crossing the finish line of a marathon, all these bring with them an incredible feeling of accomplishment that you just can't get from video games.

Driving a two and-a-half hunk of metal at seventy miles per hour on a narrow stretch of concrete with a hundred other people doing the same thing might be called risky by some. But for those who do it it everyday there is no more risk than walking down the street. They have trained themselves, either through doing or by being instructed, on how to safely make the trip.

QUOTE (Sun Tzu 4 B.C.)
Measurements of space are derived from the ground

The same goes for free runners, parachutists, and rock climbers. The actual risk of serious injury is very small. I would have to guess it is far less than the ratio of drivers to injuries. Free runners train hard on soft mats for long hours before taking it to the streets. It may look spontaneous and wild, but it is well planned and well prepared for. Risk is relative. If some guy got up off the couch one day and said, "You know, I think I'll go out and do some free running today." He would end up on a hospital gurney within five minutes of his attempt. Now take someone like David Belle. He is in amazing shape. He has trained hard. He has conditioned his body to an extreme level. The likelihood of him injuring himself is negligible.
As to judo or boxing, if you were competing I could agree that you might get the same sense as from free running. And while I enjoy playing video games and SR, they do not cause your adrenaline gland to spasm wildly, or your brain to secrete serotonin, non of the effects you get when performing extreme sports.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Jul 11 2005, 01:30 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

How can you say the reward isn't worth the risk when you haven't tried it?

Sorry, that bit is just too dumb.

Its like promoting drinking, or marihuana, or speed, or heroin. "Come on man, you won't believe how great it is!"

Running around on buildings are dangerous. Most people need their adrenaline fix, some can get it doing safer things.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jul 11 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (weblife @ Jul 11 2005, 08:30 AM)
How can you say the reward isn't worth the risk when you haven't tried it?

Sorry, that bit is just too dumb.

Its like promoting drinking, or marihuana, or speed, or heroin. "Come on man, you won't believe how great it is!"

Running around on buildings are dangerous. Most people need their adrenaline fix, some can get it doing safer things.

Don't go bashing on drinking! LOL

You make your choices. I have done plenty of risky things (like jumping off roofs into shoulder rolls) to see if I could do it. At the time It was invigorating, but looking back I could have easily misadjusted, hesitated, or just plain not been able to do it and gotten really hurt.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Jul 11 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Hehe, I made the blurb morally dynamic.. No matter (I hope!) who reads it, they will find something in that list thats beyond their moral code. :D

+Quote Post
Frater Inominatu...
post Jul 11 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Comparing the promotion of extreme sports to promoting drugs is equally as dumb.

There is a large and distinct difference between doing something that destroys your body, regardless of the preparation you make before doing them (drinking kills brain cells, marijuana leaves muck in your brain, speed and heroin can both leave neurological damage) and doing something potentially dangerous. You can safely jump out of an aircraft with the proper preparations: Instruction, proper equipment, and physical training. With these tools you can jump with confidence and enjoy the ride. In the same way, you can perform extreme sports with the same level confidence.

QUOTE (Weblife Posted on Jul 11 2005 @ 09:30 AM)
Running around on buildings are dangerous

So is football, rugby, and jai-lai; and millions of people around the world play them.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.