IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Josie & The Pussycats in the Awakened world, -No, really. I'm not kidding.
Tiralee
post Jul 11 2005, 10:04 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,585

An explaination regarding the rather cryptic title:

After leafing through a very battered and stained copy of Shadowbeat, I was struck with the awful whim of creating an all-girl band who shadowrun inbetween trying to hustle gigs.

Let the mocking begin.

So far my main issues are some of the "special" skills mentioned (Music Production, I'm looking at you.) and was wondering was there a canon link to whatever stat I should be using when plugging the damn thing into NSCRG?

A charisma-linked Social skill is the obvious first choice, but as the skill covers a LOT of area, I thought it may become a technical skill with INT as the attribute. (Mr Hume, are you there?)

An aside - Sir McMackie, I salute you and your efforts. You have made playing and running Shadowrun so very painless and so much more enjoyable.

Apart from that (No, I'm not purchasing Rocker lifestyles - they're starting from the bottom of that heap, and by the gods they're gonna get to the top) and the needlessly-confusing explaination on some of the sound components/systems, I'm going to have too much fun with this.

-Tir
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Jul 11 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

The Skills:

Some of the "Entertainment" Stuff reappeared in the SOTA books. I.e the Performance skill for the stage part. Some stuff can be based on Electronics and/or Computer, some on Negotiation-Subskills. The rest should be contacts and interests.

The Setting:

As long as it is a "travelling" setting it might actually work. Maybe less for shadowrunners and more for professional thiefs but that could be nice too.

What's next:

+ A group of teenage detectives and their mutant Barghest

+ Three female antique-dealers moonlighting as cat-burglars to steal back their fathers (stolen) collection

+ A female SWAT sniper and her full-borg partner protecting the city

+ A teenage bounty hunter and her demoliton-happy partner

+ Three female detectives and their handler working for a mysterious boss they only know through a loudspeaker

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Jul 11 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Ok, since this will be asked, I'll preempt some of the more obvious questions:

Cast of Shadows:

Kohl (Collette Dermonson): Human Rocker Goth wannabe, ineffectual Mage-Adept (What do you mean, "What's a mana ball?!") whose background as a music-corp brat has taught her that unless you're pretty and are willing to do unnatural things to people, the only way to the top is via a pile of corpses. She hasn't decided yet which route to take, yet. (Hint, one of her reporter contacts keeps her around for the possibilitity of a "Mad Goth sets fire to packed Mall, Film At Eleven" story...)

Penny/Irony (Isobel Pennyroyal): Ex-drug cook, elven colledge grad and still wondering what the hell she's going to do with her life. Although absolutely stunning and a VERY tough negotiator, her people skills end there, except when she's able to actually figure out the damn Yamaha Ez-Play keyboard-thingy. Can make Kamakazi in a bathroom, DMSO in a fishtank and Hyper if she actually cleans up her kitchen.

Strip/Knuckles (Sarah Penfold): The one who fixes things. An elven MacGuyver for most things electronic or breathing, she's professional and well-used to "modifying" things to work a little better. Her knowledge of anatomy is quite developed as she's had her share of having her body re-arranged without her consent. (Bad car accident, worse medical insurance.) "Knuckles" comes from the retractable cyberspur present in her obvious cyberarm. She uses it to open those annoying ring-pull cans.

"Helen" (Paris Sueanne Williger): Smiling, helpful female Troll Roadie. Can throw a punch that will dent an Ares Mobmaster, able to make 24 different cocktails with what's rolling around in the back of "The Tank" (Her van) and sighs wistfully when fiddling with Penny's Ez-Synth Keymaster. Tends to be the most happy-go-lucky of the lot (With Kohl's flat stare, Penny's people skills and Strip's preferance of tech over meat, it's not hard.) but has been known to have torn out the tusks of unwelcome suitors. She ain't dumb, but smiles a lot.

The "Band" is, maybe, an Opener.

Between them all, they're in danger of starving to death before the next gig rolls around, so maybe they might investigate other possible avenues of revenue.

So, it begins...

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 11 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

*smacks face against desktop*
Gawd, I was hoping you really were kidding.

Don't forget all the other fun adventures from rival bands (sabotage and such during battle of the bands events), greedy evil music producers trying to get them into some draconian record deal, and also some crazed fans that try are obssessed with one or more of the members.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 11 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #5

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

+ Three female antique-dealers moonlighting as cat-burglars to steal back their fathers (stolen) collection

+ Three female detectives and their handler working for a mysterious boss they only know through a loudspeaker

1: Eh?

2: You watch too much Tele 5, Birdy. Seriously. :)

3: You'd be surprised at how accurately you can build these using Man and Machine rules and implant options as edges and flaws. In fact, I'm experimenting with that right now, though I'm more aiming for a certain special forces unit of the Japanese secret service. That has the advantage thaqt Man/Machine Interface added a mage character (sorta).

4: hahaha!

5: He should contact them trhough the matrix and speak through their implanted radios.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 11 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #6

The King In Yellow

QUOTE (Tiralee @ Jul 11 2005, 12:53 PM)
Kohl (Collette Dermonson): Human Rocker Goth wannabe, ineffectual Mage-Adept (What do you mean, "What's a mana ball?!") whose background as a music-corp brat has taught her that unless you're pretty and are willing to do unnatural things to people, the only way to the top is via a pile of corpses. She hasn't decided yet which route to take, yet. (Hint, one of her reporter contacts keeps her around for the possibilitity of a "Mad Goth sets fire to packed Mall, Film At Eleven" story...)

:rofl: CHANGE THAT NAME! Or do you want everyone who reads this name (and knows the mere basics of European politics) think of this instead of a gothy wannabe?

Penny/Irony (Isobel Pennyroyal): Ex-drug cook, elven colledge grad and still wondering what the hell she's going to do with her life. Although absolutely stunning and a VERY tough negotiator, her people skills end there, except when she's able to actually figure out the damn Yamaha Ez-Play keyboard-thingy. Can make Kamakazi in a bathroom, DMSO in a fishtank and Hyper if she actually cleans up her kitchen.

Why does every elf have to look stunning and have maxed-out charisma? Other than that, okay idea, but you are aware you need basic components for chemistry? Give her a chemicals shop in a trailer, and she's happy. But you cannot make stuff out of nothing.

Strip/Knuckles (Sarah Penfold): The one who fixes things. An elven MacGuyver for most things electronic or breathing, she's professional and well-used to "modifying" things to work a little better. Her knowledge of anatomy is quite developed as she's had her share of having her body re-arranged without her consent. (Bad car accident, worse medical insurance.) "Knuckles" comes from the retractable cyberspur present in her obvious cyberarm. She uses it to open those annoying ring-pull cans.

So-so. She might be better off not sharing her nickname with a pink hedgehog. Unless you want to build on this somehow.

"Helen" (Paris Sueanne Williger): Smiling, helpful female Troll Roadie. Can throw a punch that will dent an Ares Mobmaster, able to make 24 different cocktails with what's rolling around in the back of "The Tank" (Her van) and sighs wistfully when fiddling with Penny's Ez-Synth Keymaster. Tends to be the most happy-go-lucky of the lot (With Kohl's flat stare, Penny's people skills and Strip's preferance of tech over meat, it's not hard.) but has been known to have torn out the tusks of unwelcome suitors. She ain't dumb, but smiles a lot.

I like that one, actually.

The "Band" is, maybe, an Opener.

Between them all, they're in danger of starving to death before the next gig rolls around, so maybe they might investigate other possible avenues of revenue.

So, it begins...

Hmmm ... you cannot read German, can you? In case you can, read the German-only SR novel 'Ash' for ideas about the band and setting for a band campaign.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Jul 11 2005, 12:12 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (hermit)

1: Eh?

2: You watch too much Tele 5, Birdy. Seriously. :)

3: You'd be surprised at how accurately you can build these using Man and Machine rules and implant options as edges and flaws. In fact, I'm experimenting with that right now, though I'm more aiming for a certain special forces unit of the Japanese secret service. That has the advantage thaqt Man/Machine Interface added a mage character (sorta).

4: hahaha!

5: He should contact them trhough the matrix and speak through their implanted radios.

For 1) I could add a brightly painted minivan...

2) Working shift

3) We are talking Briarios(sp?) here, are we?

4) You'll stop laughing if she is hunting you.

5) I like the matrix variant

As for the rocker named Kohl. Maybe Angel(a) is better... :=)

Birdy

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 11 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #8

The King In Yellow

Kohl) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Angie, the Death Metal Rockster!

1) OWWWWW! Paranormal phenomenon detectives.

2) Ouch. Well, beats DragonballZ.

3) I'm trying to retrocreate Motoko Kusanagi and Section 9 right now. Briareus (ap) would be a Troll full borg. Actually, it's quite possible to build a full borg; it's just damn expensive. All Cyber needs to be Delta Grade. Well, maybe this'll be easier with SR4's cheaper, better cyber ... :)

4) No, I'll die like the Joker. :D

5) :)

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jul 11 2005, 01:54 PM
Post #9

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Was it bad that the FIRST THING I flashed to was a trio of SURGED cat women? Is it also bad that I was elated not to see them?

Its an... interesting idea. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Jul 11 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Before we joke this to death:

Do you base this on the 1960s/70s comics or the MadeForVideo LifeAction Movie?

Birdy

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Jul 11 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

Birdy:

In response to your most recent post: Are you implying that there's a difference between the two?

;)

:P

Although I'll admit that, in my case at least, it's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black, as I pretty much lifted the idea for my SR character directly from pop culture.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 11 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

Is it very bad, that I glanced at the PC group outlined here and immediately had far too many ideas for how to run and have fun with such a campaign?

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Jul 11 2005, 03:39 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

Best gaming session I ever played in involved being the manager, tech, and roadie for a "chick rocker" band. There's just something about the glamorous, over-the-top lifestyle of a crime-fighting/perping rocker group.

Can you imagine the debriefs after a group like this pulls a heist?

CorpSuit: Can you describe the intruders?

Bob the guard: I didn't see much, they gassed me pretty quick.

CS: Anything, any details. We _do_ pay you to be observant.

BtG: I know, I know. All I remember is... man, you're not going to like this...

CS: Need I remind you that you are not on the clock during this session?

BtG: Well, they looked....they looked just like Josie and and the Pussycats.

CS: Right.... (makes note on pad to have BtG sacked for gross incompetence and chipping on the job)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 11 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (hermit)

So-so. She might be better off not sharing her nickname with a pink hedgehog. Unless you want to build on this somehow.

Knuckles is the red echidna. The pink hedgehog is named Amy Rose and is Sonics love interest/obsessed stalker. More of the latter, actually.
Incidently, Sally was the name of Sonic's love interest in the Saturday morning cartoon that aired on ABC. She was not pink, however, and she is not Sega canon.

Music Production, performance, and similar skills could just be groued under knowledge skills as other creative skills are in SR3.

This provides more skill points for blow stuff up skills and put holes in stuff skills.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 11 2005, 06:03 PM
Post #15

The King In Yellow

Not to mention athletics, which is pretty damn vital to have for any performing group ...

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jul 11 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #16

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

QUOTE (RangerJoe)
BtG: Well, they looked....they looked just like Josie and and the Pussycats.

CS: Right.... (makes note on pad to have BtG sacked for gross incompetence and chipping on the job)

ROFL. That is comedy GOLD!

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 11 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #17

The King In Yellow

Nice punky take on them; kinda looks like a CP2020 illo.

Spacey

Well, Maybe this band could actually work. Anyway, hope your group has fun with them. :)

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Jul 11 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

The truly sad thing is that as an acclaimed min/maxer, I tweeked the ladies until things were very munchkin, then scrapped all of that and made them playable.

Regarding Kohl's name - Although I do not speak German fluently (Or Turkish, Greek, Italian, Russian, Polish or Japanese) I DO know about the old Chancellor. (Spelling?)

I also know Kohl as the black pigment mix used by anchient Egyptians.

And I don't think many Europeans would remember and associate the names. After all, who here can tell me the name of the British PM who was in office August 1939? ("There will be peace in our time!")

(And Hermet...man, you must visit some seriously strange "nude Cleb Pic!" sites to find that...)

And yes, at one stage I WAS thinking of having them SURGEd. That was when the drugs were working, but not in the way I expected. (ripped from Fields of Fire)

Oh, and one person was fully set on making a Dragonball Z character out of a Mage Adept. The mocking and derision was...astounding.

Hermet -
Penny has maxed and tweaked charisma because she's IN the band. (Read the SB Performance in a band rules. ) She knows how to wail, but has trouble relating to people in an acceptable manner. High Charisma is nice, but unless you can do something with it, someone's gonna stun your ass and sell you off to the highest bidder to be chipped and enslaved in a brothel somewhere.
(NO, I'm NOT a nice GM)

I'm glad you like Helen. (Helen wheels, ah, I slay me.) She came about as my partner loves to play happy trolls that occasionally go beserk and rip out someone's spine for use as a toothbrush. (Combat Monster yes, compulsive, no.)

Apart from that (Strip was going to be a dwarf, but I rolled and she turned out to be an elf, no sterotyping here...;) ) I hope to do some very bad things with the characters, the players and the only bar that looks like taking them on for a night.

"Look, there, up on stage!"
-Up on stage.
"OH, FRAG - it's the wage mage we hit! Helen, Intercept!"
-A stage speaker is hurled with reasonable accuracy, scattering the growing numbers of corp-security pushing in past the bouncer.
"With something OTHER than the equipment, so ka!?"
"Gotcha, yoink!"
- A blue-lady electric bass wails as it makes its way through the bar mirror.
"Ahhh! Goddammit - Helen, you're gonna get that back and I swear, if there's a scratch on my axe...FIREBALL, SCATTER!"

-Ah, "Oh no, not again" - music to mine ears.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 12 2005, 05:34 AM
Post #19

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Birdy)

1, 3 and 5 i get but i dont recall seeing 2 or 4. anyone feel like filling me in?

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Jul 12 2005, 06:24 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Jul 11 2005, 12:20 PM)

1, 3 and 5 i get but i dont recall seeing 2 or 4. anyone feel like filling me in?

I get 1 and 5 as well, but not 2-4. 1 is Scooby Doo, and 5 is Charlie's Angels.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Jul 12 2005, 08:40 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Tiralee: Nevill Chamberlain ;=) [That's unfair, I am an armchair historian]

And Kohl is german for Cabbage.

The shows:

1: Scooby Doo (Okay, so I am a Sarah Michell Gellar fan, sue me!)

2: Something along the lines of Katzenaugen - Cat's Eyes
<Hermit: Do you know the title>
Would be PhysAds (Athletics or Silent Way) in SR, might work as a campaign

3: Appleseed (The Manga, never saw the animees)

4: Gunsmith Cats (The Manga)
+ Rally Vincent (The Bounty Hunter/Weaponsmith) and Minni Mae Hopkins (The Demo-Freak) actually would make a nice "enemy" if you can stand the damage

5: Charlies Angels (The ORIGINAL, not the modern PoS)

Birdy

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 12 2005, 09:04 AM
Post #22

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

duh, that appleseed was in there should have hinted that they where manga refrences.

i seriusly need to get up to speed on mangas...

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Jul 12 2005, 09:28 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

As much as it is bouncing from topic to topic (Something I'm also notorious for doing) -

Could anyone please direct me to the canon base attribute for Musical Production?

Thank you.

-Tir

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 12 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #24

The King In Yellow

Intelligence. If in doupt, it is a knowledge skill (like guitar; yes, smart people can play guitar better than average in SR land :P ).

As for the show ... Cats' Eyes is, I think the English title. I'll research this after my siesta. :)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 12 2005, 10:55 AM
Post #25

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Birdy @ Jul 12 2005, 03:40 AM)
Tiralee: Nevill Chamberlain ;=) [That's unfair, I am an armchair historian]

And Kohl is german for Cabbage.

The shows:

1: Scooby Doo (Okay, so I am a Sarah Michell Gellar fan, sue me!)

2: Something along the lines of Katzenaugen - Cat's Eyes
    <Hermit: Do you know the title>
    Would be PhysAds (Athletics or Silent Way) in SR, might work as a campaign

3: Appleseed (The Manga, never saw the animees)

4: Gunsmith Cats (The Manga)
    + Rally Vincent (The Bounty Hunter/Weaponsmith) and Minni Mae Hopkins (The Demo-Freak) actually would make a nice "enemy" if you can stand the damage

5: Charlies Angels (The ORIGINAL, not the modern PoS)

Birdy

Minni Mae as an enemy!? Why not just super glue a pink polka-dotted handgrenade to the back of your PC's head and pull the pin. It would be both faster and less painful.

She would make a good contact.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.