IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> stupid question, would a dolphin be otaku???
zenpoetsix
post Jul 16 2005, 06:31 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,066

one of my players handed me her new character sheet for a decker and listed under contacts is a level 2 (buddy) contact: a dolphin decker like in that book by gibson, kinda. in my game, i require players to flesh out level 2 contacts so i can use them in a game but she looked at me and asked how she would make a dolphin npc.

i thought about telling her to pick another level 2 contact but i thought about it and thought a dolphin would be cool in the game. than i thought if a dolphin would naturally have otaku-like abilities. has anyone had this come up in one of their games??? gibson's book is pretty popular in this genre and the movie wasn't that bad.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 16 2005, 06:40 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

No, a dolphin would indeed have no basis for natural Otaku abilities. They tend not to end up in the environments that generate them. Then again, Dr. Halberstam may have been hard at work again.

~J

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 16 2005, 06:45 AM
Post #3

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Non-metahuman sentients have some difficulty using the Martix because of differences in brain structure. However, no one really knows what makes an Otaku, except, possibly, Deus and some other AIs.

Just make it an Awakened dolphin that was a victim of a corporate experiment. Kidnapped from his or her home, surgically modiffied, magical ability was burned out due to poor cyberware compatibility.

It would make a nice angry at the world character.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 16 2005, 06:50 AM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Actually, a good reason not to allow this is because allowing it is an unclaimed bequest in Dunkie's Will.

~J

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 16 2005, 07:07 AM
Post #5

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Actually, a good reason not to allow this is because allowing it is an unclaimed bequest in Dunkie's Will.

~J

Dunkie's will specifies that the interface must be "efficient and effective".

"Out of 2325 experimental subjects, #1172 is the only one that didn't go insane and commit suicide. He just murdered his handlers and sexualy violated their corpses before escaping into the ocean. We consider our work to be a great success" Doesn't quite fit the bill.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 16 2005, 07:14 AM
Post #6

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Little worried about how a dolphin would "sexually violate" someone....

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 16 2005, 07:28 AM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jul 16 2005, 02:14 AM)

Well, it helps if they are in the water. If they are then mostly the usual ways. Captive male dolphins have been known to attemt to rape people who swim with them. People rub the dolphin's belly in the wrong spot thinking its cute and the dolphin sees that as a request for sexual service.

Dolphin pensis's are also prehensile when they are not aroused, giving the ability to do many interesting things.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jul 16 2005, 08:21 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

My first instinct is to say no

Assuming somebody managed to get a dolphin datajack to work (even if it was only one of hundreds attempted) there are some practical issues. A cyber deck will not appreciate submersion in water, especially not salt, even is the optronics don’t short out it will damage the plugs. And a dolphin lacks the appendages to manipulate a jack and a RAS override activating in its natural environment would result in drowning. The likely solution would be a radio data jack, a handler to maintain the cyber deck and a specially made shelf to lie on while decking, this of cause implies continuing captivity.

I would say that a dolphin has the same chance of being an otaku as a metahuman, this means you can decide he is or is not at your discretion. If he is an otaku having been in the aforementioned experiment he could have escaped and access the matrix using his radio link but there is still the issue of drowning and defense of the meet body while in the matrix.

Edward

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 16 2005, 09:01 AM
Post #9

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Edward)
My first instinct is to say no

Assuming somebody managed to get a dolphin datajack to work (even if it was only one of hundreds attempted) there are some practical issues. A cyber deck will not appreciate submersion in water, especially not salt, even is the optronics don’t short out it will damage the plugs. And a dolphin lacks the appendages to manipulate a jack and a RAS override activating in its natural environment would result in drowning. The likely solution would be a radio data jack, a handler to maintain the cyber deck and a specially made shelf to lie on while decking, this of cause implies continuing captivity.

I would say that a dolphin has the same chance of being an otaku as a metahuman, this means you can decide he is or is not at your discretion. If he is an otaku having been in the aforementioned experiment he could have escaped and access the matrix using his radio link but there is still the issue of drowning and defense of the meet body while in the matrix.

Edward

Cyberdecks can be waterproofed. All you really need is a custom case. However, for practicial reasons, a dolphin decker would be better off with a cranial deck or one mounted in a cybertail. This elimiates the need to carry it around or manipulate a datajack.

As for drowning, dolphins do sleep. However, they only sleep with half of their brains at a time. This fact alone makes RAS rather problematic even to impliment, but it also suggests that a dolphin could do without it. Metahuman deckers don't need the RAS override. However, they suffer +4 TN penalities without it. A dolphin, having the ability to shut off half of its brain while the other half remain conscious, may be able to experience two realities without any penality.

At the very least, a dolphin with RAS override would be aware enough to know that it needs to breath and would be able to reach the surface. Deckers jacked in are still aware of injuries to their meat bodies and can still act in the real world, albeit at a +8 penalty. An action that doesn't require a skill test anyway would be just as easy with RAS override.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 16 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #10

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Dolphin pensis's are also prehensile when they are not aroused, giving the ability to do many interesting things.

it worries me that you know this

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 16 2005, 09:44 AM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 16 2005, 02:28 AM)

My Totem is good to me.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jul 16 2005, 10:16 AM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

The sleeping with half a brain thing is a good point. I did consider a cranial deck but not the cyber tail, either would have the problem of building it to sute. I would expect any corporation designing data jacks for dolphins to leave of the development of other wear until the mind mashie interface was stable, during development the dolphins can just cope with ether radio decks of having a human or even robot) tech insert there data jack. Although if the port was located on eth belly the prehensile penis would solve that issue carying an external deck would still be an issue.

Another issue is where to get stats for a dolphin.

Edward

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 16 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Edward)

Another issue is where to get stats for a dolphin.

Edward

Storn Dolphins are in the Critters PDF, they are just Awakened versions of regular dolphins. Take away the magicial powers and the stats are usable for a mundane dolphin.'

Of course, there is something deliciously evil about making it a burned out Storm Dolphin, considering that they are activly violent toward metahumans and are known to sink small ships using their powers.

Mmmm....... brutaly violent and sexually deviant cetacean matrix terrorist.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Jul 16 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

If the dolphin is fitted with a belt, which has two tool using arms on it, then it can do stuff itself. It simply uses the arms by datajack, like we'd drive a car or use a forklift.

I think using the Otaku rules for it would be the easiest. Then just pour on Karma.

Its other contacts might not even know its a dolphin. It might order stuff to be dropped into the sea in sealed caskets. People would think its some paranoid fragger who dives in after it later.. and it sorta is, isn't it? :D

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 16 2005, 04:38 PM
Post #15

Midnight Toker

Now that I think about it, a dolphin would need a custom deck or, at least, a heavily customized ASSIST converter.

Even Otaku ned an ASSIST converter to translate matrix data. I very much doubt that standard metahuman simsense would be very usable for a being whose primary sense is sonar. There would have to be a device to convert the metahuman sensory data to a dolphin-friendly format.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Jul 16 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Which really makes it nearly crucial that the dolphin is an Otaku.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Jul 16 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #17

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jul 16 2005, 04:26 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 16 2005, 02:28 AM)

My Totem is good to me.

A Google shaman?

:rotfl:

I would disallow it because he's blatantly ripping off of known materialf in a ridiculous way. tell him to come up with something original. Like a guy with a detachable robotic arm named jack. that's the ticket.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 16 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #18

Midnight Toker

Hey, did Renraku Arcology have an aquarium? If so, that would the perfet excuse for a matrix dolphin. It would also be the erfect excuse for giving it cybertentecles and mounting a firelance on its head.

Cybertentacles would be great weapons in the water and could provide some mobility on land, as well. Because a dolphin in a trech coat walking on his cybertentacles is cool contact to meet in a bar.

He can always claim it was SURGE. No one would argue with him and his combat laser.

Also, he should collect antique German beer steins. I don't know why, but he should.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 16 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Well, I suppose it's time I could add a word or two.

Dolphins would not make ideal deckers. The need to jack in eliminates their usefulness in most applications-underwater arcologies, submarine hunting, etc.

Therefore, it only makes sense for dolphins to be riggers. Dolphins are particularly suited to the more instinctual use of rigger-gear, and their sonar abilities can be capably mimiced by drones to prevent undue confusion. With the proper cyberware and equipment, a dolphin can tap into the wireless networks of other riggers, or have their crab-drones crawl up to an arkoblock security outlet and tap into the rigged security system. They make ideal mobile signal booster, ECM, ECCM and ED platforms; and may also make suitable scouts, mappers and mine-sweepers. "Stealth" dolphins may even be equipped with specialized suits to lower their thermal signature...and what metahuman sonar listener will pay attention to one more dolphin cry?

Furthermore, a dolphin "leader" whose pod is equiped with snake-eyes and BattleTac gear becomes a fearsome underwater security force, able to launch three-dimensional assaults against intruders and command an impressive picture of the battlefield with conjoined sonar. In the event of a disabling jammer-strike, a dolphin security pod could switch off their link and still capably defend themselves using their natural abilities.

Naturally, the militaries and corporations in charge of rigger-dolphins will need to find some way of maintaining obedience...drug addiction would seem to be preferable, as psychotropic conditioning would be problomatic to develop.

Of course, things might change when Augmented Reality comes into play...

+Quote Post
Astelaron
post Jul 16 2005, 05:59 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 7,183

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jul 16 2005, 02:14 AM)

Well, it helps if they are in the water. If they are then mostly the usual ways. Captive male dolphins have been known to attemt to rape people who swim with them. People run the dolphin's belly in the wrong spot thinking its cute and the dolphin sees that as a request for sexual service.

And I thought sharks were scary.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Jul 16 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

Wasn't there something called a "reality filter" or similar that reinterpreted the matrix feed to the decker's appropriate metaphor? A dolphin would no doubt be more comfortable in the matrix if everything is presented in aquatic metaphors.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 16 2005, 08:26 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Yeah, until the Black IC becomes a kraken or the tunafish datafiles turn black and rotten from databombs...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 16 2005, 09:26 PM
Post #23

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

what are we talking about here, blue planet?

there one can play uplifted dolphin and orca, with drones and more.
like say envision a orca with a strap on weapon rack of torpedos and sasers (sonic "lasers") and flanked by weapon carrying drones under his command.

lets just say that nasty does not even start to cover it :silly:

+Quote Post
weblife
post Jul 16 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Orca Gunbunny.

Trolls go home.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 17 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (weblife @ Jul 16 2005, 06:32 PM)
Orca Gunbunny.

Trolls go home.

You misspelled "fishing".

~J

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.