> Good News, ...and some art.
FrostyNSO
post Aug 4 2005, 06:34 AM
Post #1

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

Gone to Press

The cover looks a little better, though the picture is still silly. To still my mind I will adopt the "team leaving the facility" point of view.

When I first saw that dwarf I thought : "Damn that's some hairy legs!" before i realized it was his pants. Looks like he should be on Monster Garage. That big Jamaican ork is sporting a pair of OICW's if I'm not mistaken. Sure, the project got canned, but kudos to the artist who at least looks at a few real guns before he draws one...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Aug 4 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,327

gack, was looking through the metahuman art and the ork picture... Is anybody else reminded of the the terrible 'Battlefield Earth' movie? The aliens played by Jon Travolta with the dreadlocks and such? <shudder>

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Aug 4 2005, 06:39 AM
Post #3

Resident Legionnaire

What about the neon sign hanging between the troll's legs?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Aug 4 2005, 06:41 AM
Post #4

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

yeah, geez, yikes. The dwarf would've been cool if it wasn't for the ridiculous "I just did a sheep" pants. I liked the other art we saw before. These... not so much.

+Quote Post
JBlades
post Aug 4 2005, 07:37 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,734

I think the artist is very good, but the pics, not so much.
I really hope they aren't angling for a "cracked-out-raver-meets-yoyoyohomey" as a style for all of SR4...

+Quote Post
Euchrid
post Aug 4 2005, 08:39 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 7,175

In Shadowrun 4, all shadowruns will take place in raves. Johnsons are replaced with ecstasy dealers, corporations with narcs and guns, magic and drones with brightly coloured objects.

Heels are mandatory on all female characters, as are exposed midriffs and funky accessories. Funky accessories will increase your combat pool.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Aug 4 2005, 08:40 AM
Post #7

Resident Legionnaire

Remember orxploitation?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 4 2005, 09:30 AM
Post #8

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

I'm glad they darkened the picture up a little. I still think that Dwarf (which I still insist is a female) looks ridiculous. I still think the Troll looks ridicu--hold on, let's save time. "I still think they all look ridiculous."

But, well, at least it's dark. Darker, at least.

+Quote Post
Phoniex
post Aug 4 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 2,769

Nice frosty, you posted the link.. what minutes after the site changed? :)

Anyway, yes the art is "good" but not nearly as.. well realistic as i would want. I mean, i understand shadowrunners can be flamboyant freaks sometimes. But well, how about some art with what my SR characters look like.. hehe you know form fitting body armour stealthy mofo's. I mean, while i do have some characters that would look that freaky during downtime, while doing a run. Well to me its alot more corp and serious than random "no fat chicks" t-shirts and jeans. Which is kinda what the people seem to be wearing.

The only thing I really feel sorry for is that poor street sam on the cover of the SR4 manual. That spur has got to hurt, or if its a bug spirit comming out.. well that makes more sense than having that weird ass spur out at that exact moment.

Later all:) cya at Gencon:P

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Aug 4 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

I think the dwarf is compensating for something with the joystick coming out of hhis belt. :rotfl:

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Aug 4 2005, 10:26 AM
Post #11

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

You're right, looks like he's got an Ares Compensator stuffed down there or somethin'

That being said, I do think that the artist is good. I like the dwarf's beard, I like the shading on the characters. I just don't like what he drew. I'd like to see more, just..... different. Especially the ork. Just once I'd like to see someone take a stab at drawing a semi-attractive ork or troll female. The ork on SOTA 2064 was neat.

This post has been edited by fistandantilus3.0: Aug 4 2005, 10:38 AM

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 4 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #12

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
The cover looks a little better, though the picture is still silly.  To still my mind I will adopt the "team leaving the facility" point of view.

Personally, I will adopt the "team is about to get slaughtered in a violent orgy of bullets and combat magic because they were stupid" point of view.

QUOTE (Critias)
But, well, at least it's dark.  Darker, at least.

Darker than what? Butterflies and care bears?

It's interesting to see that bell bottoms have made a comeback in 2070. I didn't hate the poseur retro-fashion enough the last time, you know, back in like 1996. Amateurs.

The elf... The elf has freckles (Although I am reminded of the "can you blush" line from Blade II now). How dark... And... And... A crossbow. A friggin' crossbow!

The ork needs to lose weight. Fat f*ck.

The dwarf... Let's move on, shall we?

The troll... actually looks pretty cool and maybe "darker", but let's not try and stretch things to where they don't belong.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 4 2005, 10:54 AM
Post #13

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

Darker than what? Butterflies and care bears?

It's interesting to see that bell bottoms have made a comeback in 2070. I didn't hate the poseur retro-fashion enough the last time, you know, back in like 1996. Amateurs.

The elf... The elf has freckles (Although I am reminded of the "can you blush" line from Blade II now). How dark... And... And... A crossbow. A friggin' crossbow!

The ork needs to lose weight. Fat f*ck.

I dont think going against your bigot ideals makes the art any worse.

(in fact I think it makes it better)

I´m happy with Echo´s style, hope she gets to do a lot of the artwork. It´s impressive that she has been able to adapt her sensual art nouveau to something that fits Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 4 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #14

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Just wondering how useful he'd be on an infiltration op when the point is not to be seen or heard as the runners are crawling through the air ducts.

The view from your high horse must be nice, but I prefer the ground level with the rest of the snakes.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Aug 4 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

Some of the pictures (especially the ork...) look to me like she took a photo of a model and just drew on the tusks, the pointy ears, or the big hair. Actually, they all sort of look like that... Parts of the drawings just look flat compared to the rest, making it look like they were drawn on over a higher-quality picture.

+Quote Post
Homme-qui-rigole
post Aug 4 2005, 12:52 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 4,248

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
What about the neon sign hanging between the troll's legs?

It's seem to be a new version of the Trideo Sandwich Troll archetype from the old Ka-ge Magazine :D

+Quote Post
ankh-le-fixer
post Aug 4 2005, 01:17 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 6,074

QUOTE (nick012000 @ Aug 4 2005, 11:18 AM)
I think the dwarf is compensating for something with the joystick coming out of hhis belt. :rotfl:

Yes this dwarf is really amazing : useful joystick, nice sheep cloth... :grinbig:
it seems that either the artist is a real fan of ZZTop or he don't want players to play dwarf in SR4 :D

he's probably a friend of the man in charge of Gimli's dialog in the LOTR movies :P

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 4 2005, 01:23 PM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
That big Jamaican ork is sporting a pair of OICW's if I'm not mistaken. Sure, the project got canned, but kudos to the artist who at least looks at a few real guns before he draws one...

This is Shadowrun. We call it the Ares Alpha here.

~J

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Aug 4 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Remember orxploitation?

I do. ;)

Re: Cover --> I guess the FanPro logo will go in the upper left corner?

Re: Art --> Overall pretty good. Remember these are the B/W illos for the metatype section... I'd love to know how did the archetypes turn out.

I remember seeing the original color piece for the human a long time ago in SR's fan art mail list (didn't know it was for SR4, though). Excellent pic.

I like the elf and that she's probably one of the few non-Tolkien-goddess-like elves we've seen in SR. :ork The crossbow is a neat detail --silent, efficient and multi-purpose (don't get me started on Green Arrow, though ;) )

That ork lady packs a serious punch, for sure. :wobble:

Dwarf: Cool, though it took me a while to get the idea about those pants.

The troll is definitely a mage. He could have enjoyed bigger shoulders, though.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Aug 4 2005, 01:40 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

The separation between the Troll on the cover and the B&W troll (*cough* head size *cough*) are distracting to me. I know there can be variations in individuals, etc. , etc..

+Quote Post
hermit
post Aug 4 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #21

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

I remember seeing the original color piece for the human a long time ago in SR's fan art mail list (didn't know it was for SR4, though). Excellent pic.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 4 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (JongWK)
crossbow […] silent

*Splutter*

Never used one, have you?

~J

+Quote Post
Synner
post Aug 4 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 185

I have and outfitted properly it can be pretty silent compared to just about any non-silenced gun (true that one doesn't look appropriately outfitted).

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 4 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

Well, yes, compared to any non-suppressed gun. I tend to have slightly more absolute requirements when it comes to the word "silent".

~J

+Quote Post
TheBovrilMonkey
post Aug 4 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 1,927

Not too keen on most of those pictures, but the dwarf's cool - those trousers remind me of the P.A.G.A.N. outfits from the Dragnet film, which is always good ;)

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.