Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remote Sustaining, Sustaining foci and ritual spells
Panzergeist
post Aug 10 2005, 07:44 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,676

If you use ritual magic to cast a spell on a distant subject, can you sustain it with a sustaining focus by keeping the focus in contact with the material link? If you have an elementasl sustain it, does that elemental have to stay near the target, or the hermetic circle made to cast the spell?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Aug 10 2005, 07:55 AM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

ritual spells have their own nifty little rules for being sustained, and they're acutally pretty good. Don't recall the details off hand. Never seem to have my MiTS on hand.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Aug 10 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

I do not think it is possible to use ritual magic to cast a spell into a sustaining focus. I wanted to (to increase the number of successes) but I think ritual magic is an exclusive action and so is casting a spell into a sustaining focus.

Never thought about the elemental sustaining it, because they can only sustain for a number of combat turns equal to their force.

Ritual magic has its own sustaining rules by allocating dice from the ritual pool which will sustain the spell for a number of hours equal to the # of dice allocated times the ritual leader's magic rating. MitS, page 38.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Aug 10 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,676

Ah yes, thats right. Dice allocation. Been too long since I thumbed through that book.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Aug 11 2005, 05:11 AM
Post #5

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Never thought about the elemental sustaining it, because they can only sustain for a number of combat turns equal to their force.

That's not quite correct. If you want to permanently sacrifice the spirit's services, you can have it sustain a spell for a number of days equal to its Force.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Aug 11 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #6

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

Since you seem more familiar with that rule than I (who likes shamanism), is it possible to combine ritual magic and elemental spell sustainment? I know it is possible to have an elemental used during ritual magic, but is this a possible use?

+Quote Post
Cain
post Aug 11 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #7

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

On a surface reading, I can't see why not; I don't see anything indicating that it requires an Exclusive action of any stripe. Unless it's explicitly banned somewhere that I'm not looking, I don't see any major objections.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:05 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.