IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RL Security Device -- X-Ray Van, Neat cirporate security thingy maybe?
Velocity
post Aug 11 2005, 02:44 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,029

The site even looks like a page from the old Street Samurai Catalogue.

Z-Backscatter Van.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Other DSE
post Aug 11 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 7,303

You know, I don't tend to be much of an alarmist, but does it bother anyone else that they could just drive by and irradiate people?

I mean, when you get an X-Ray at the doctor's, the techs leave the room to avoid getting unecessary radiation...

Now,what the hell, we'll just put it in a van and drive around with it taking pictures.

Screw privacy issues, I have health issues with this one...

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Aug 11 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

That rocks.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 11 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Radiology technitions leave the room because they do their job dozens of times a day 5-7 days a week for years. If they didn't they would accumilate an unsafe number of rads/time.

However, being exposed once by a random X-ray van isn't damgerous at all. The thing about radiation is that you can't avoid it no matter how hard you try. Everything is radioactive to some degree. Background radiation is everywhaere. That is why it is called background radiation. A little bit of extra radiation every once in a while isn't going to hurt you.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Aug 11 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

QUOTE (The Other DSE)
Screw privacy issues, I have health issues with this one...

I have both. :)

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Aug 11 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #6

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
However, being exposed once by a random X-ray van isn't damgerous at all.

Unless your pregnant. Then it is extremely dangerous to the health of the child.

+Quote Post
Eddie Furious
post Aug 17 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,519

The X-ray van has two parts to it. There is the transmitter/emitter and the receiver. They have to be lined up, within a set distance of one another and coordinated so that the signal will be received. Otherwise its a really shoddy microwave. ;)

So don't worry about this badboy being driven around at random. To scan a box car or tractor/trailer requires a bit of doing to get it ready and running. Trust me, you would notice if they were trying to set this thing up outside your house.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Aug 17 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #8

Running Target

QUOTE (The Other DSE)
You know, I don't tend to be much of an alarmist, but does it bother anyone else that they could just drive by and irradiate people?

Here's a general idea about radiation amounts:

*Background radiation is equal to about 0.001 Sieverts per year.
*A single medical X-ray produces about 0.2 mSv (0.0002 Sv)
*Nuclear reactor workers are permitted to receive up to 0.05 Sv/year
*An exposure of 1 Sv in an hour results in radiation poisoning
*Exposure to 3 to 5 Sv in an hour results in death in 50% of the cases

You'd need 5 normal medical x-rays to equal your annual natural radiation dose, and 250 to reach the legal limit for a nuclear industry worker.

Backscatter x-rays lower the dosage further, requiring only 30 to 100 microSv for a typical full body backscatter x-ray. You'd have to get 500 to 1700 backscatter to reach the limit for a nuclear industry worker, and you'd need 10,000 to 34,000 to produce detectable radiation poisoning effects.

The X-ray van has two parts to it. There is the transmitter/emitter and the receiver.

Did it say that somewhere on the webpage? I thought the point of backscatter x-rays was that the x-rays scattered back from the target (back toward the emitter) were captured rather than resorting to normal transmission-style x-rays.

http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/body.htm

"These devices operate on a physical process called backscatter. Backscatter uses X-rays that reflect away ("scatter back") from the low-Z material (skin, clothing) but not most high-Z material (metal). Backscatter then makes "reflections" that define the high-Z materials as separate and distinct images from low Z. "

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Aug 17 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #9

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

So, in effect, what you are saying is that should you receive enough scans to be adversely affected by such a van, any harm that comes to you is likely good for the public in general? In other words, if you are such a screw up that they feel the need to scan you 34,000+ times, then you are likely a really bad criminal or a serious threat to the general population. or, by some piece of bad luck on epic proportions you are constantly living near such individuals.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Aug 17 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #10

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

That, or the operator left the van parked overnight and forgot to turn the damn machine off.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Aug 17 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #11

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

lol
[sarcasm]
According to gov. guidelines I believe that falls under 1 application.
[/sarcasm]

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Aug 17 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #12

Running Target

QUOTE (Nikoli)
So, in effect, what you are saying is that should you receive enough scans to be adversely affected by such a van, any harm that comes to you is likely good for the public in general?

Good for the gene pool, at least. It would take some talent to get 34,000 doses (and that's only enough to produce marginal radiation poisoning).

That, or the operator left the van parked overnight and forgot to turn the damn machine off.

Or that, in which case the lawsuit and medical bills won't be helping the public good.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.