IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4 interior art, Look who´s working for us!
mintcar
post Aug 16 2005, 09:45 AM
Post #1

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

Found this when I did some googleing on the names listed for color illustrations in the SR4 t.o.c preview. Not too shabby, huh? (from running wild this, but may point at what to expect)

Here´s another pic from one of the artists. (third one from the top on the left)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 16 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Man. They shoulda had that dude do the SR4 cover. His whole portfolio's full of amazing stuff.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 16 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

I'll agree there. That "third from the top on the left" one reminds me of the cover of Brainscan as far as the coloration is concerned (I know they are different artists). For some reason, I've always liked that for SR.

+Quote Post
Homme-qui-rigole
post Aug 16 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 4,248

Others pics from Duggan for SR:

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8
Pic 9
Pic 10
Pic 11

Some stuff are good, others really silly

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 16 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #5

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

I don't like his work for LA.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Aug 16 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

The Michael Komarck illustration is simply jaw dropping. Damn right that should have been the cover. As for the others by Duggan

1) I couldn't find... got an error message

2) I'm assuming this is pulallup. It looks good overall, convays the feel that I expect people are supposed to have when wandering the Z zone.

3) This one I don't care for. The ambulance guys supposed to be Doc Wagon? If so when did Doc Wagon change their logo to an Anarchy symbol and why has the panic bracelet been turned into a necklace that wouldn't look at all out of place on Snoop Dog?

4) Is this even for Shadowrun? I don't recognize anything from it unless the 5 year time jump has allowed for the creation of really ugly androids at least.

5) This one I like. The troll is a little goofy looking but the sam in front is damn cool. The dead security guard is a nice touch.

6) A very contemporary idea of what runners will look like. Notice the mowhawks have been replaced with hip hop style cloths. It'll be funny to look back at illustrations like these in 10 years and see how dated they've become. Still though I like it.

7) It took me a second to realize this was two pictures... I was wondering what the heck a troll was doing guarding a dwarf in a fishtank. The lefthand picture I'm not sure what is going on or why it looks like he is underwater, nice illustration though. The right hand picture of the troll is pretty nice. Other than the built in sunglasses I think this is one of the better orc or troll illustrations out there.

8) Again, not sure exactly what is going on... watching cola advertisements on the dashbord trideo in a car? Not sure what I think of this one.

9) Another very contemporary illustration, this time of a bar. There is a distinct lack of troll thrash metal bands playing on the stage to mowhawk wearing fans. Instead we have what looks like a rave. Nice picture, it'll be interesting to see how it ages.

10) Very nice. I like the atmosphere of the meet. The gun on the table plus the goons in trenchcoats let you feel the tension in the air and remind you that this is what runners deal with every single time they look for a job.

11) I like this combat scene. The shellcasings flying in front of the camera make it look very dynamic and unlike the cover art there are actual expressions beyond, "Oh, look the weather network, I wonder what the forcast is." My only slight complaint is the rather odd gimp suits that the opposition is wearing but that is a minor complaint.

Overall I'd probably rate the artwork a solid B. Sure all of the illustrations arn't steller but overall it's some of the best B&W art to go into a shadowrun book I've seen.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Aug 16 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (imperialus)
3) This one I don't care for. The ambulance guys supposed to be Doc Wagon? If so when did Doc Wagon change their logo to an Anarchy symbol and why has the panic bracelet been turned into a necklace that wouldn't look at all out of place on Snoop Dog?

I think that's graffiti on the van...

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Aug 16 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,298

I really like the feeling of ten and eleven, and almost all the artwork looks technically quite competent. Good stuff.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Aug 16 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #9

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Okay, a review:

Overall: for some reason, this guy's style makes me think of Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan comics a lot. I can't put my finger to what it is, but it has a lot of the feel of the comic. Which is a good thing, as I liked that series.

Gets across a certain grittyness and is technically well done. Way better than the nipple-focused art of SR3. I hope this artist will be the one who sets the stayle SR3 illustrations are done.

1: error message (it makes firefox load the default page, actually)

2: India? Looks like it would fit into SoA, at least. Two Sikh-ish looking guys sneaking through a warped war zone.

3: Black Cross to the rescue! From LA

4: and you thought your cyberarm hampered your social interactions? Fetishists from LA. I like that pic, actually, especially the orc-kitty-guy. Furries from hell!

5: another LA pic. An odd looking troll-ork holding a killed asian-looking officer in a control room that coordnates a full-scale strike on Argentina (the screens in the background). Accompanied by a guy with a funky cyberface who's trying very hard to look mysterios. By far my least favourite, though technically well done.

6: another LA piece, showing one of the featured shadowrunner teams. As it's not Assets, inc., I like it.

7: The teaser troll and his dwarf friend, accompanied by flying drones which really seem to become a racial attribute for dwarves. I really like the troll though.

8: A runner team on their way to a mission (they look so focused), watching trid on the vehicle console (commercials). The dwarf has kangaroo ears, but the trog looks cool. Mr. Duggan has a way with trolls to make them look smooth that no artist before him had.

9: Party Time! Odd-looking ork and elf chick who's high on something, propably her very suspiciously looking drink, celebrate something. Very nicely done. I'd love to see it in colour, and evenm better, to download it for my private collection of SR artwork.

10: Meet Mr. J. Wow. Awesome atmosphere, very dark, gets across a backroom feel and yet lookis shadowrun. Great pic! My favourite of the lot.

11: Shootout with bug fetishists. Cool troll, though he seems a wee bit small.

Well, I hope to see more of Mr. Duggan's work in SR books. Much more. :)

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 16 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

1: error message (it makes firefox load the default page, actually)

It shows a 4-armed scantily clad woman (likely some sort Hindu background based on the dot on her forehead) and a homeless bum fury wading in a stream.

QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 16 2005, 12:20 PM)
... Way better than the nipple-focused art of SR3. ...

Lament not lovers of nipples! Check out the background of #9 directly behind that elf's fizzy drink. Inverted-cross pasties. :)

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 16 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #11

Dragon

QUOTE (imperialus)
7) It took me a second to realize this was two pictures... I was wondering what the heck a troll was doing guarding a dwarf in a fishtank. The lefthand picture I'm not sure what is going on or why it looks like he is underwater, nice illustration though.

I think it is just foggy, with the main light source and background lighting having a blusish tint. But toss in the hair cut that looks like seaweed waving, his goggles, the hovering flashlight drone that has a distinctly submarine tube shape, the odd floating sense from his left hand position, the shape of his armour, and the mustache that looks like airtubes running up his nostrils, the piece of background architecture between his hair and the drone that looks like a bubble, and....presto, a underwater sense.

The right hand picture of the troll is pretty nice.  Other than the built in sunglasses I think this is one of the better orc or troll illustrations out there.

Those aren't built-in glasses. They are a lot like Oakly 1/2-frames (my current driving glasses) but with the frame along the bottom of the lenses instead of the top.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Aug 16 2005, 07:34 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

As for SR-Art:

If it has no Laubenstein and no Prescott piece in it, it has already improved! A LOT!

Those linked pictures look solid!

Birdy

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 16 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #13

Dragon

QUOTE (Birdy @ Aug 16 2005, 01:34 PM)
As for SR-Art:

If it has no Laubenstein and no Prescott piece in it, it has already improved! A LOT!

Those linked pictures look solid!

Birdy

I think #6 on the German site ( http://www.fanpro.com/sr/SR4Gallerie.htm ) looks like it could be Prescott. Hard to tell from that shrunk down picture. Some of his stuff i don't mind, particularly still life parts. But a lot of the people, especially the manically grinning ones, don't work for me. They tend to be more caricatures than suits my tastes.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Aug 16 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #14

The King In Yellow

QUOTE (blakkie)
Lament not lovers of nipples! Check out the background of #9 directly behind that elf's fizzy drink. Inverted-cross pasties. :)

Not demanding a ban on nipples, mind you, but Prescott definitly overdid it. It was getting to the point where I was actually annoyed. And mind you, I grew up among nudists.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 16 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #15

Dragon

QUOTE (hermit)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 16 2005, 09:21 PM)

Not demanding a ban on nipples, mind you, but Prescott definitly overdid it. It was getting to the point where I was actually annoyed. And mind you, I grew up among nudists.

Hehe, wasn't it in DotSW where he gave a dragon in dracoform a nipple ring or something? I lost count of the times where it looked like the women looked someone had cranked up the AC....even the summerish outdoors pictures. ;)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 16 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #16

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (imperialus)

looks more like gang backup lands to help out a fellow member. and in a ambulance no less :cyber:

ie, the big glowing A on the chest is a gang mark ;) so is the patches on the people and the ambulance.

atleast thats my take on it :P

overall i think this looks good for the new SR in terms of art. atleast it looks more pro then some of the older pics. and that troll with the glasses, anyone else feel like calling him morpheus?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Aug 16 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i'd like to suggest that the nipple focus might be more on the part of the percievers than the presenter. i've never really noticed it.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 16 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #18

Dragon

QUOTE (mfb)
i'd like to suggest that the nipple focus might be more on the part of the percievers than the presenter. i've never really noticed it.

More likely a combination of the two. :oops: He put it in and i noticed.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 16 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #19

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 16 2005, 06:46 AM)
I don't like his work for LA.

Agreed. It made me think I was reading a really bad comic book with littler bearing on Shadowrun.

QUOTE (imperialus)
4) Is this even for Shadowrun?  I don't recognize anything from it unless the 5 year time jump has allowed for the creation of really ugly androids at least.

It's on the same page as Transhumanists in Loose Alliances, so... I'm guessing they're Transhumanists.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 16 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #20

Dragon

QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (imperialus)
4) Is this even for Shadowrun?  I don't recognize anything from it unless the 5 year time jump has allowed for the creation of really ugly androids at least.

It's on the same page as Transhumanists in Loose Alliances, so... I'm guessing they're Transhumanists.

That assumption is supported by some graffiti on the wall, above the catish freak, that reads "SHED YOUR SKIN"

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 16 2005, 09:28 PM
Post #21

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Except that they also take in Changelings, but sure, I guess.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 16 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #22

Dragon

QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 16 2005, 05:58 AM)
Man.  They shoulda had that dude do the SR4 cover.  His whole portfolio's full of amazing stuff.

I can get behind that.

EDIT: Though i'm guessing many here would take issue with the more impressionist style used for the picture i picked out.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Aug 16 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #23

The King In Yellow

Many here would take issue with everything.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 16 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #24

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Even though I hate Impressionism, I really, really like that, and the Running Wild image, which shows that you don't have to include everything about Shadowrun into one poorly-conceived image like the actual cover in order to convey the tone and style of Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 16 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #25

Dragon

QUOTE (hermit)
Many here would take issue with everything.

What, are you off your fraggin' rocker? What knowledge do you have of that? Nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.