IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mixing Cthulhu and Shadowrun, Ia! Ia! Lofwyr ftaghn!
Sabosect
post Aug 17 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,741

Well, my GM got the crazy idea of mixing SR and Cthulhu. In spite of the players all getting together and advising the opposite.

Well, we were out to try to stop Cthulhu from being summoned. The temple was guarded by cultists and Elder Things, but our combination of massive amounts of bullets comming from three miniguns and the backup power supplied by sixty drones, two mages, and a panther cannon pretty much reduced that to nothing. We break into the ritual chamber, shoot everything that moves, and get the lovely surprise of finding out we provided the final sacrifice necessary to summon Cthulhu. San saves all around and half of us are suffering from insanity. Then comes a wild idea I had.

Me: I want to intimidate Cthulhu.
GM: You want to what?
Me: Intimidate Cthulhu.
GM: Okay, I'll allow it. But this roll better be fucking high. And by high, I mean you must be a minor deity to make it.
Me (after a lot of rolling of my puny 4 dice): Will a 63 do?
GM: I fucking hate you!

Long story short, Cthulhu committed suicide out of terror, we escaped alive, the GM learned his lesson, and now I have to deal with a GM who has vowed vengeance against me. Since I'm GMing next session, his group gets a lovely hike through the Yucaton. Ya know, just to rub it in.

Edit: Scroll down a few posts. A houserule I forgot to include that happened for this story, which is another reason the players opposed it.

Well, anyone have stories they want to share about this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Aug 17 2005, 01:09 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

You rolled ten sixes in a row?

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Aug 17 2005, 01:10 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Uh, I call bullshit. Because a roll of 63 is extremely unlikely. The % chance of this story being true is really small.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Aug 17 2005, 01:14 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

D'oh! I forgot to include the houserule the GM used for this.

Basically, due to him wanting us to have a chance of surviving, he ruled we could add the totals of our dice together. The rolls I got: 24 (I refused to roll it again after the other dice), 11, 15, 13. Note that he did not adjust any other part of the game. It was one of those time where he made a very bad decision and paid for it.

So, yeah, the GM was being an idiot. Let's move on.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Aug 17 2005, 01:22 AM
Post #5

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Uh, I call bullshit. Because a roll of 63 is extremely unlikely. The % chance of this story being true is really small.

We had somebody roll a 56 once. It wasn't at a pivotal moment though...it was just a perception test.

"No, the window doesn't look to be locked from the inside."

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post Aug 17 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Member No.: 7,129

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

:rotfl:

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Aug 17 2005, 02:17 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Also, if they *do* come across Cthulhu again, just explain it as the last time, they faced off against an avatar of the Great Old One, & not the real thing. The real deal would have leterally blown their minds....out of the back of their skulls.

And, most avatar-creating deities get mighty ticked off if you do away with their little piece of themselves....

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Aug 17 2005, 02:24 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

"It's not the hand of Vecna"

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Aug 17 2005, 04:26 AM
Post #9

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

had a player roll a 47 to shott down the barrel of a gun once.

"never say no, assign difficutly."

Yay! Thread hijcak!

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Aug 17 2005, 04:28 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

I once saw someone roll a 43 for a called shot. The TN was only 11 at the time.

+Quote Post
Jürgen Hubert
post Aug 17 2005, 08:21 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,453

I think it is possible to mix Shadowrun and the Cthulhu Mythos without getting too silly.

Good starting points would be Delta Green and Delta Green: Countdown, which feature lots of information on spycraft, companies with dubious moral standards, modern cults, and top-secret government agencies - all perfect fodder for Shadowrun.

The question is how much of the "Cycles of Magic" and the Earthdawn backstory you want to incorporate - while the Horrors are already fairly similar to Lovecraftian monsters in many ways, their feeding on human fear and emotions makes them a bit too personal. Most Mythos entities are deeply uncaring about humans, in one way or another.

Personally, I'd explain the "Return of Magic" with the gradual dissolution of the Dreamlands - many of the entities from that dimension are reborn on Earth (thus explaining the existence of metahumans), and the resulting influx of magical energies make magic possible without constant threat to sanity (though there should always be a chance of mental problems when you botch a spell).

And letting dragons make casual references like "I witnessed the fall of Sarnath" would be cool...

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Aug 17 2005, 01:57 PM
Post #12

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Earthdawn stuff is great for this. I did a big long post combining it with Sumerian Mythology, which adds some more legitimacy and historical interest for geeks like me. In my experience, it really isn't too hard, just don't drop names and don't throw people into constant gun battles. Build up suspense.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 17 2005, 02:10 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I like the musty, ancient tomes of profane lore. My grimoires have to be chained to the shelves while the Illdatch and the Darkhold cower forgotten in the corner.

+Quote Post
Toshiaki
post Aug 17 2005, 06:37 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,063

QUOTE (Ancient History)
I like the musty, ancient tomes of profane lore. My grimoires have to be chained to the shelves while the Illdatch and the Darkhold cower forgotten in the corner.

You know, it's a well known fact that Ancient History is a Room Full of Monkeys.

Somehow though, I just can't shake the feeling that he's actually a wizard who's been polymorphed into an orangatan. Ancient History has even demonstrated that he has mastered BookSpace, by being able to answer questions in threads all over the place at once. Only problem is that he doesn't get angry when people call him a monkey....

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Aug 17 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #15

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

With age comes Wisdom (as well as a better banana stock).

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Aug 17 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

How do you intimidate Cthulhu? Is how our GM would respond. The thing is 100 feet tall. This is like a caprenter ant trying to intimidate a gorwn human. It shouldbe more than just a role of dice. you should have a usggestion as to what you're doing. Otherwise i think you're gonna be like Hank Azaria in Godzilla.

We've done Cthulhu type stuff but the major difference is in the books-which I love but made a mistake of reading for the first time in college, when I lived alone, in New England, BRRRRR, is that the characters in the books usually are not armed. maybe a revolver but usually just their pitiful wits against the darkness. Not assault rifles armed with APDS or assault shot guns with Big D's temper.

Now who wants to go to the clam bake at Innsmouth?

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Aug 17 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

ook

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 17 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #18

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Aug 17 2005, 05:19 PM)
How do you intimidate Cthulhu?

Ray, when someone asks if you're a God, you say "Yes"!

I'm pretty such it would involve convincingly claiming to be a being more powerful that Cthulhu himself. There are such beings and, given Cthulhu's status as the high priest of his people, it is most likely that he worships some of them.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Aug 18 2005, 01:30 AM
Post #19

Prime Runner

I think the key word here is "Convincingly"

As duly deputized representative of the city, county and state of New York I must order you to cease and desist all paranornal activity and relocate to the nearest alternate plane or parallel dimension!

Thanks, Ray.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 18 2005, 01:51 AM
Post #20

Midnight Toker

I would argue that making a TN of 63 is pretty darn convincing. The fact that the bluff is so absurd just makes it even more convincing.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Aug 18 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner

but by standard rules they didn't beat a 63, they added dice together. A target of 63 means you've got to get a single die to roll a 6 ten times in a row, not start adding up mulitple dice. Heck I've got a sack full of dice. I could roll 100+ each itme, no troublewith that system.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 18 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #22

Midnight Toker

It isn't his fault the GM made a stupid house rule.

+Quote Post
SFEley
post Aug 18 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 7,565

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
It isn't his fault the GM made a stupid hose rule.

It isn't his fault the GM came up with a stupid hose adventure.

This sounds like the way we used to play D&D back in seventh grade. "My fighter has a +500 bastard sword. Yeah, I had to kill Tiamat to get it. Twice."

+Quote Post
Nyxll
post Aug 18 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,455

It isn't his fault the GM came up with a stupid hose adventure.

This sounds like the way we used to play D&D back in seventh grade. "My fighter has a +500 bastard sword. Yeah, I had to kill Tiamat to get it. Twice."

as I remember fun was the first goal of playing. The occassional quirk and monkey wrench into thrown at the gm or into the game make for some fun play.

I would let you have a +500 sword ... for about an hour .. then every artifact hunter in the known multiverse will hunt you down, you either get rid of it ... or die, or it shatters... then you still have people hunting you for it. MUhahahahahaaha.

My players know better than to play munchkin with me.

Personally I would have not had a God commit suicide, but be banished for a while.

+Quote Post
Lady Door
post Aug 18 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #25

Dumpshock Widow aka Mrs Fisty

Member No.: 6,929

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
had a player roll a 47 to shott down the barrel of a gun once.

"never say no, assign difficutly."

Yay! Thread hijcak!

*bows* Thank you, Thank you. No, really.. it's too much. *bows*

*curtain falls*

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.