IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Character Creation/Magic Costs, So what's the verdict?
Critias
post Aug 18 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #1

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

But, for the record? Yes, I'll make a wager with you if you want. I'll bet you that a Magic attribute of 1 (and whatever comes with it) in SR4 will not be as prohibitively expensive as it is to be Awakened right now. I'll bet you that it is not going to cost 1/4 of your starting character points, the way it does to recreate a "priority A" spellcaster using the point-buy system in SR3.

That was me, a few months ago, in what could politely be described as "a heated conversation." I'm wondering how legit my concern was.

Is it cheaper to be a mage now? Is it easy and low-cost to purchase "I'm Awakened," get that first Magic point, and unlock the door? How much does it cost, compared to previous editions (IE, in terms of build points spent versus starting character build points)?

What'cha got, Gencon-goers? Anything yet?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phantom Runner
post Aug 18 2005, 09:06 PM
Post #2

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,548

Check out the latest PDF for download, the Combat Mage.

Apparently it costs 15 build points to even be magically active, and then the Magic Attribute has to be bought up like other attributes at 10 build points per level, at least that is the best estimate so far...thanks Ellery :)

Note: that it appears that the normal attributes all start at 1 for free, while the first point in Magic must be purchased (thereby making it a little more expensive).

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 18 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #3

Freelance Elf

So, sounds like 25 character points out of...what...400?

Yeah. That's real steep.

+Quote Post
Nerbert
post Aug 18 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,280

QUOTE (Critias)
So, sounds like 25 character points out of...what...400?

Yeah. That's real steep.

Considering that all the sample characters have spent roughly 50% or more of their starting BP on character attributes alone just in order to get 3s and 4s, you might be surprised what a difference 25 can make.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 18 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #5

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

I donīt think that estimate is reliable. How do you know Magic isnīt more expencive than other attributes? Iīm pretty sure Edge will be, why not Magic?

Besides, you wonīt get far with just being magicly active. You need loads of skills and such too. But you still won that bet, Critias. Iīm also guessing more players will choose to be magicly active just to have more growth potential. I donīt mind though. May make some interesting character concepts possible that just werenīt before. Iīll just have to steer some players away from it to prevent everyone from doing it.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Aug 18 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

As far as creation goes, I am under the impression that you get your first point of Magic for free as part of the creation process, such that it only costs 15 points. 25 points would be how much it'd cost for Magic of 2. As far as the estimate being unreliable goes, Ellery's been pretty spot-on so far with her idle dissections of the creation system.

As far as gaining Awakened status in play, bear in mind that if you have augmentations that reduce your Essence, you need to buy more Magic in order to have any ability at all. If you had, say, Essence of 2 (i.e. 4 points spent), you would need to raise your Magic up to 5 (5-4=1) in order to have an actual magic rating, period. What this means as far as burnout goes, I couldn't tell you. It may actually have to cease existing to permit anyone with augmentations of any sort to become Awakened after creation.

+Quote Post
Milo Simpkin
post Aug 18 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 7,331

Well in the last 3 campaigns I have run in Shadowrun (2 under 2nd Ed, 1 under 3rd) everyone has chosen to be magical anyway, citing 'it gives us more room to grow' as their response. This included in each game at least one player spending the points to be an aspected mage of some kind and not really bothering with the skills and buying them up in game later. So I don't really thing it will make a difference in my group.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 19 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #8

Freelance Elf

Magician (15 BPs) gives you Magic 1.

Well, there we have it. Guess I win that bet. Now, if only Doc Funk had ever specified what we were betting, exactly...

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 19 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #9

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 19 2005, 04:27 PM)
Magician (15 BPs) gives you Magic 1.

Well, there we have it. Guess I win that bet. Now, if only Doc Funk had ever specified what we were betting, exactly...

Umm, Doc was a nutcase if he actually took that bet. Well i guess that isn't exactly something that shakes my understanding of the order of things. ;) It was hinted at from early on that there would be a much wider range of build costs to being awakened.

Now whether or not it actually is any sort of concern, or that it will lead to a much larger number of awakened characters in SR4 than SR3, or that that is actually a bad thing, is highly questionable. SR3 players with an eye on the powergaming longterm were already awakening.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.