Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun 4: Magic
Triggerz
post Aug 27 2005, 03:03 AM
Post #201

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,590

Thanks, tisoz! The hard cap on skill seems particularly harsh when you consider all the possible bonuses you can get from magic and/or cyber/bioware, specialization and a bunch of other little things. I mean: a high natural skill that could actually compete with skills boosted by cyber/bio/magic/etc., that was magical! The possibility that... possibly... there was a tiny chance for a non-cybered, non-magical guy to compete with the monsters...

I mean: How world class are you at Unarmed Combat 7 if a significant percentage of physads will have 8+ due to improved abilities? Doesn't quite seem to me like: "Someone whose expertise outranks all others in all of known history."

Hmmm... I recall reading somewhere that what determines who's the best is results. Skill rating is just a number. If you get your ass kicked all the time, then you're no melee master, for sure. I don't want to see martial artists "whose expertise outranks all others in all of known history" get their ass kicked on a regular basis by guys with a few levels of muscle toners.

Oh! Well, I guess I'll see when I get my hands on the book.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maeel
post Aug 27 2005, 03:56 AM
Post #202

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,586

can someone please make a list of all adept powers in SR4 core book..

thx!

+Quote Post
maeel
post Aug 27 2005, 07:32 AM
Post #203

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,586

oh, and while i am at it, can someone of those fortunate to have book, please give us an example, how an attack with a stunbolt works.

with targets resistance and all....

thx

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Aug 27 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #204

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,634

Triggerz: I plan to house rule that cap on skills out of existence. On attributes is one thing (although I'm a fan of cyberware being able to surpass normal limitations), but skills I always felt should be infinate in growth.

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Aug 27 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #205

Moving Target

I like lower skill levels in general as they will help keep down the number of dice rolled. (You roll six, and then another six, and then six again, and...) Rolling lots of dice can slow a game down considerably. But yeah, I think I might go with some kind of exponential cost for skills to keep skills above 6 extremely rare - but still possible. The hard cap can make too many guys with a few bonuses act way too cocky. If an adept knows there is a possibility that the old man over there might actually have a skill of, say, 10, then maybe he'll be a bit more carefull about who he chooses to bully.

+Quote Post
Space Ghost
post Aug 28 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #206

Moving Target

Member No.: 400

i was wondering about the Combat Sense adept power. Does it add dice for certain tests, or does it actually add to reaction, thereby being subject to the hard cap on attributes?

i imagine it's also limited to a number of levels equal to your magic rating, but is it also limited by your reaction attribute?

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Aug 28 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #207

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

A little from column A, a little from column B.

Combat Sense adds to Reaction only in Surprise test and when rolling Reaction to defend against attacks (i.e. Dodge test), melee or ranged or otherwise. The wording makes it seem like it's also subject to the attribute cap for Reaction (because it adds to Reaction), but you can buy levels up to your Magic Attribute for it (no other limitation). Remember, since there are usually penalties involved, extra dice above the Attribute cap are still useful.

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Aug 28 2005, 09:29 PM
Post #208

Moving Target

THat is the way I interperate it at the moment. It provides a magical (device) sense so long as the spell is sustained. This sense provides constant feedback from the device sort of like a magical half-VCR or the adept attunment metamagic.
hyzmarca

Attunment metamagic? Is that in the SR4 BBB? From SOTA 2063 or 2064? If it's from the SR4 BBB, can anyone tell me what it does and how it works?

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Aug 28 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #209

Mr. Johnson

Attunement is from SOTA 2064. It allows you spend Karma to bond a mundane item to yourself, gaining a -1 TN bonus when using that particular item (but linking that item to you).

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Aug 29 2005, 01:09 AM
Post #210

Moving Target

Cool!

+Quote Post
Toshiaki
post Aug 29 2005, 04:51 AM
Post #211

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,063

QUOTE (maeel)
oh, and while i am at it, can someone of those fortunate to have book, please give us an example, how an attack with a stunbolt works.

with targets resistance and all....

thx

This is from another thread:
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Marvin the Mage has a Magic Attribute of 5 and a Spellcasting of 5. This means he rolls 10 dice on his spellcasting. He selects Sam the SecGuard as his target for the Stunbolt. He decides to go for a Force 5 Stunbolt, mostly because he's a wuss when it comes to drain and doesn't like overcasting.

On his spellcasting roll, he gets 4 hits, just above the expected average. It's his lucky day, I guess. Sam the SecGuard has a Willpower of 3 and doesn't have any Counterspelling to protect him as spell defense, so he rolls 1 hit on his resistance test (about average that he can expect).

Now we figure out the damage. The base DV is equal to the Force of the spell, which is 5. You add the net hits, which is 4 - 1 = 3 hits, thus doing 8 points of Stun damage. Since Sam the SecGuard has 10 Stun boxes (willpower of 3), he's 2 boxes away from being Knocked out.

Finally, we figure out drain. The drain for a Stunbolt is Force/2 (round down) - 1, which in this case will be a DV of 1 measly point. Marvin the Mage rolls his Willpower + Logic (being a Hermetic), which in this case is 4 + 4, or 8. He easily gets the 1 hit he needs to reduce the drain down to nothing.

Now, if he had not been such a wuss and went for the full tamale overcasting, he could have cast a Force 7 Stunbolt, and using the above example would probably knock the guard out (3 net hits) and still not take Drain (2 DV physical). Or if he feels that he absolutely needs to knock out the guard, he could go for a 9 Force Stunbolt (just below his max of 10), and guarantee a knockout, while taking 3 DV physical drain (probably reduced down to 0 or 1 boxes).

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Aug 29 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #212

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

I plan to house rule that cap on skills out of existence.
- GunnerJ

We're torn. On the one hand we like the idea of diminishing returns; but on the other hand we don't want to say this far, and no further ... ever (without magic or 'ware). Attributes, yes to the hard cap (and we like it here): but not skills.

Our compromise will be a soft cap taking into account both the SR4 hard cap (6) and the SR3 idea of linked attributes, usable for individual skills only. Each skill level over the attribute level will cost double. Additionally, every skill level over six will have +1 added to the multiplier. Thus:

Improving an Active Skill by 1 (<= linked attribute, <= 6) - (New Rating) x 2 Karma
Improving an Active Skill by 1 (> linked attribute, <= 6) - (New Rating) x 4 Karma
Improving an Active Skill by 1 (> linked attribute, >6) - (New Rating) x (4 + [new level-6]) Karma

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Aug 29 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #213

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
On the one hand we like the idea of diminishing returns;

Keep in mind, diminishing returns isn't the same as NO returns.

+Quote Post
NeoJudas
post Aug 29 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #214

Moving Target

Member No.: 106

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
I plan to house rule that cap on skills out of existence.
- GunnerJ

We're torn. On the one hand we like the idea of diminishing returns; but on the other hand we don't want to say this far, and no further ... ever (without magic or 'ware). Attributes, yes to the hard cap (and we like it here): but not skills.

Our compromise will be a soft cap taking into account both the SR4 hard cap (6) and the SR3 idea of linked attributes, usable for individual skills only. Each skill level over the attribute level will cost double. Additionally, every skill level over six will have +1 added to the multiplier. Thus:

Improving an Active Skill by 1 (<= linked attribute, <= 6) - (New Rating) x 2 Karma
Improving an Active Skill by 1 (> linked attribute, <= 6) - (New Rating) x 4 Karma
Improving an Active Skill by 1 (> linked attribute, >6) - (New Rating) x (4 + [new level-6]) Karma

I think we've diverged from topic, but in this instance.... We here also have tossed out the Skill Cap, but we are *NOT* going to sack the karma totals for skills greater than the rating of the attributes. We have not officially come up with the final number, but given that the cost for skills is already greater than it was in third edition, we'll either leave the costs as is or increased them to a x3 for ratings greater than attribute.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Aug 29 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #215

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

Keep in mind, diminishing returns isn't the same as NO returns.
- nezumi

True. I misworded. End pseudo thread hijack :)

+Quote Post
Magnus Jakobsson
post Aug 31 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #216

Target

Member No.: 7,576

Does it take an action to use the adept power Attribute Boost? What kind of action? If it doesn't take an action, can it be used outside of the adepts action phase?

(Just got the pdf. Looks good!)

- Magnus

+Quote Post
WhiteRabbit
post Sep 1 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #217

Target

Member No.: 1,644

Anyone notice any spells that fall into the old "why cast above force 1?" argument? In my quick read through I've noticed that Shapechange seems to. Are there any others?

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Sep 1 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #218

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (WhiteRabbit)
Anyone notice any spells that fall into the old "why cast above force 1?" argument? In my quick read through I've noticed that Shapechange seems to. Are there any others?

Poltergeist is pretty similar, but the drain for it is pretty hideous anyway (Even at Force 1, you are going to have 3 boxes of Drain).

Shapechange does have one effect that's linked to Force: Bonus Attribute points. That alone seems... unbalancing to cast even at low Force (considering it does the work of all 4 Physical Increase Attribute spells simultaneously).

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Sep 1 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #219

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Looking at Combat Sense p198, I find it very difficult to believe that it's an Active/Psychic spell. I think it should be Passive/Psychic, looking in the spell description of the effect and the sheer mechanics of the spell in question. Otherwise, you'll be rolling lots of Opposed tests, something that should only be reserved for things like Detect Individual or Mind Probe.

Oh? Does this mean that Detection spells that obviously shouldn't be resisted (like Nightvision and Clairvoyance) are actually not resisted? Sweet.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Sep 4 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #220

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 1 2005, 06:15 AM)
QUOTE (WhiteRabbit @ Sep 1 2005, 05:07 AM)
Anyone notice any spells that fall into the old "why cast above force 1?" argument?  In my quick read through I've noticed that Shapechange seems to.  Are there any others?

Poltergeist is pretty similar, but the drain for it is pretty hideous anyway (Even at Force 1, you are going to have 3 boxes of Drain).

Shapechange does have one effect that's linked to Force: Bonus Attribute points. That alone seems... unbalancing to cast even at low Force (considering it does the work of all 4 Physical Increase Attribute spells simultaneously).

Wow. I haven´t read every spell discription yet so this one I hadn´t seen. How can it be so badly written? There´s no way I can let any player have that spell as it stands.

Hmm off the top of my head I figure a threshold equal to the difference in body. Same amount of hits as the threshold transforms player into a sub-par creature of -1 attributes, one net hit you get the stock attributes, and any hits above that is bonus.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Sep 5 2005, 01:24 AM
Post #221

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Oh? Does this mean that Detection spells that obviously shouldn't be resisted (like Nightvision and Clairvoyance) are actually not resisted? Sweet.

On that subject, is the Enhance Aim spell still floating around? If it doesn't have to be resisted, that would be very nice (although in all fairness we usually ignored that aspect anyway for ordinary "bit part" characters)

+Quote Post
Jürgen Hubert
post Sep 5 2005, 07:47 AM
Post #222

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,453

QUOTE (Triggerz)
Thanks, tisoz! The hard cap on skill seems particularly harsh when you consider all the possible bonuses you can get from magic and/or cyber/bioware, specialization and a bunch of other little things. I mean: a high natural skill that could actually compete with skills boosted by cyber/bio/magic/etc., that was magical! The possibility that... possibly... there was a tiny chance for a non-cybered, non-magical guy to compete with the monsters...

That's what Edge is for.

+Quote Post
DarkMage
post Sep 5 2005, 01:40 PM
Post #223

Target

Member No.: 635

QUOTE (Dashifen @ Aug 24 2005, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 24 2005, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Aug 24 2005, 02:36 PM)

My money is on this belonging in the Errata thread.

I hope so. Magician Adept initiation was always a problematic thing due to bad wording but to remove it entirely would be a bit draconian!

I'm not sure if anyones mentioned this but it is in the offical errata:
p. 189 Initiation
Add “Mystic Adept” to “Only character with the Magician or
Adept qualities may initiate."

+Quote Post
evil1i
post Sep 9 2005, 05:16 AM
Post #224

Target

Member No.: 7,673

I assume because riposting has been removed from melee combat that the counter attack adept power has also not made a showing?

+Quote Post
Toshiaki
post Sep 9 2005, 06:48 AM
Post #225

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,063

Correct, Counter Attack is not in the core book.

Here's a list from another thread:
QUOTE (Pandamoanyum & hahnsoo)
Adept Abilities:
Astral Perception
Attribute Boost
Combat Sense
Critical Strike
Enhanced Perception
Great Leap
Improved Ability
Improved Physical Attribute
Improved Reflexes
Improved Sense
Killing Hands
Kinesics
Missile Parry
Mystic Armor
Natural Immunity
Pain Resistance
Rapid Healing
Spell Resistance
Voice Control

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.