20 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun 4: Hacking & Rigging
kigmatzomat
post Aug 30 2005, 09:34 PM
Post #201

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

Actually I think you roll Command Program + Hacking to "captain's chair" a drone or set of drones.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 30 2005, 09:34 PM
Post #202

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

@Blakkie: Well, at the very least it implies that the hacker´s contribution is very limited. Not counting your attribute at all when it is included in every other test in the game implies you´re not even participating in making decissions, you can just opperate the program more or less efficiently. Perhaps your analogy is accurate. In that case the program is doing everything that has to do with capacity for logic. The hacker just unleaches the program and control it with more or less skill. The program is making all the difficult choices that are not covered by pure skill. And this would have to be more complete than in any other situation. Basicly you can not make any real time choices yourself when hacking. You´re not allowed to use your logic. This can well be the case because everything goes so fast, you may not have the time... It may make sense that way because it does ring bells from the former editions, but it was strange and hard to swallow back then too. Why not just change it?

+Quote Post
Synner
post Aug 30 2005, 09:57 PM
Post #203

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (mintcar @ Aug 30 2005, 08:27 PM)
I don´t buy your explanation Synner. You can´t take the Logic attribute out of the equation when hacking. It´s the persona that does the doing? Certainly the case with physical attributes, but with mental? So you´re not actually there at all then? The persona is a separate, thinking entity and the character´s only contribution is skillful use of this entity?

I am simply expressing my views on how the system works based on my analysis of it during playtesting - these views are not official but they may help shed some light on this Hacking and Rigging rules.

When you open a file on a computer today it is a Program running on your Operating System (to simplify) which is actually opening it, decompressing, reading, modifying, editing or saving it.

To give a specific example, when a contemporary hacker cracks the code protection on a just-released computer game, it isn't the hacker himself but the computer program he wrote to do it. No matter how skilled he is a programmer and hacker he would never be able to crack the code himself in real time without that tool/program (no matter how intelligent he is / how high his Logic attribute) - I like to call it a language barrier. He simply presses execute and the program (he wrote) cracks the code. In fact, in most cases the hacker has no more active participation in the process (except compiling the program in the first place or programming new routines into it) than I do when I open a Word .doc. The difference being the hacker (with the Computer 6 skill) can tweak and modify the functioning of the program to wield better results and I can't (have Computer 0). (Given my lack of knowledge on the subject) I can only assume you could try to read the contents of a .doc or .wav file without having any relevant Program installed but personally I doubt it can be done without weeks of work.

Almost the same thing in the Matrix.

Furthermore your persona is simply the representation used by your Operating System (actually its more like a hybrid between an OS and a browser) to interact with the "external" Matrix (or you could say that like in SR3 the Persona is the representation of the OS) and which runs the programs you have loaded, these allow you to interact with the various softwares and files encountered on the Matrix (regardless of software platform compatibility). At best you have control of how best to deploy these programs and tweaking their overall parameters to get the best out of them (ie. you have tactical command).

On the other hand Technomancers «have the ability to process digital information directly and intuitively, through the elusive Resonance attribute, as well as spontaneously generating code devices understand.

And for the record you've never been there at all (in any incarnation of Shadowrun). Your conscienceness is in your body, it is never uploaded into the Matrix. What you experience is false sensory input or as the game calls it a "consensual hallucination" which is being generated by your deck (now commlink) specifically your ASIST converter from the simsense feed it is recieving from a server (host) or router (grid) somewhere.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 30 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #204

Karma Police

I suppose in light of these insights it may be the closest approximation. But it still stings in the eye that your innate logical capacity does not figure into hacking. If hacking is anything like in SR3, the player will feel like he´s there making logical choices. It will be hard to explain that this is all just an illusion. (Not the being there, everybody knows that´s an illusion. But the actual real time choices of the player are also illusory because they are made on the account of the program and not the character.)

If there was nothing more to hacking than pressing "execute" in Shadowrun, it may not have been a problem. But there is. There is room for innovative suloutions when hacking (in SR3, making assumptions here) and that can not be covered by skill alone. So you have to go into an uncomfortable line of thought that says the program does most of the things the player does (eccept die rolls, wich are shared with the character), and just gives the character a nice show as a representation.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Aug 30 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #205

Runner

Note that SR4 is not as restrictive as real life (IIRC) since it allows you to roll your Hacking skill as your dice pool to accomplish stuff on the Matrix (in AR and VR) - also note that in SR3 you rolled your Computer skill not your Intelligence. The true change is in dropping the x-factor of a Hacking Pool.

I believe that anyone familiar with Decking in SR3 will find that in practice the Matrix 2.0 has much the same feel and things work mostly the same way even if the appearance and mechanics are different. The player is in just as much control, his options are simply different.

However I should note that after some thought I agreed with one of my players who noted that if it wasn't for the detailed Matrix runs and interactive iconography I've put together since VR2 (see the Idiots Guide to the Matrix thread), SR's Matrix system allowed for everything to be almost mechanical and automatic responses and you had very little freedom of choice (ie. System Operations were defined and in practice they represented all your available choices) - your control was more tactical than active.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 30 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #206

Karma Police

You have to agree there´s a difference now that dice pools are separated between skills and attributes. Before what attributes represented was baked into skills and the old dice pools. Taking attributes out of the equation for a test all together has to be of major concequence in SR4.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 30 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #207

Karma Police

I´ve already accepted that this may be the best approximation of what hacking is about. The issue is that one of my players may be doing some hacking and doing some intelligent maneuvering, thereby getting the feeling that hacking is a process that requires intelligence. All the same the system has taken intelligence out of the equation for that same activity.

Although, I´m not going to complain if it works well and is fun playing anyway. :)

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Aug 30 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #208

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

Right on. Intelligence one hackers!

+Quote Post
Synner
post Aug 30 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #209

Runner

Yep, just like you could in SR3 (where in practice you could even do without a high computer skill if you had enough cash to burn on high-Rating programs). Of course, I would note that a low Logic decker in SR4 is going to have a hard time using his other requisite Computer-related skills.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 30 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #210

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
Actually I think you roll Command Program + Hacking to "captain's chair" a drone or set of drones.

I ment when a rigger does it. Or was it when they are using the driving a vehicle that also has it's own Pilot rating? It's somewhere back in this thread.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Aug 31 2005, 03:39 AM
Post #211

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)

QUOTE (Synner)

When you open a file on a computer today it is a Program running on your Operating System (to simplify) which is actually opening it, decompressing, reading, modifying, editing or saving it.

Check.

To give a specific example, when a contemporary hacker cracks the code protection on a just-released computer game, it isn't the hacker himself but the computer program he wrote to do it. No matter how skilled he is a programmer and hacker he would never be able to crack the code himself in real time without that tool/program (no matter how intelligent he is / how high his Logic attribute) - I like to call it a language barrier. He simply presses execute and the program (he wrote) cracks the code.

Uncheck. Most applications have these things called "settings." Those "settings" are configured based on the intention of the user. Skill plays a good part in knowing the settings to use however a good amount of deductive reasoning can further optimize those settings.

I actually had this discussion earlier today when a client wanted all the computer simulations we ran to be identical. Sure, I could run them all with identical settings and might get "good enough" data but it would be less than ideal for virtually no cost savings and could possibly hurt the costs by increasing processing times. (I'm an engineer who simulates large hydraulic systems with off-the-shelf software and write scripts and apps to fill in the holes.)

To give simplified SR4 example, the Attack program can assault any system. Activate it without any modification (aka "0 skill") and it runs at its rating firing a random assortment of general purpose assaults. If you have some skill you might know that your target is running Nix so you adjust the settings to exclude Iris-specific flaws. Add some Logic and you realize that the target is a Rigger running mobs of drones and will likely be heavy on ECCM but won't have as much Biofeedback filter so you further streamline the operations.

In fact, in most cases the hacker has no more active participation in the process than I do when I open a Word .doc. The difference being the hacker (with the Computer 6 skill) can tweak and modify the functioning of the program to wield better results and I can't (have Computer 0).

Word is on par with the "Edit" program at Rating 2. VI or Emacs would be at 5. Word can do "find/replace." VI/Emacs can find/replace/calculate/tabulate/ truncate/repaginate.

Skill is being able to use all those commands as needed.

Ability is being able to do it in one line.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Aug 31 2005, 03:44 AM
Post #212

Moving Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Aug 30 2005, 03:34 PM)

I ment when a rigger does it. Or was it when they are using the driving a vehicle that also has it's own Pilot rating? It's somewhere back in this thread.

I gave my SR4 to my brother but a rigger is a hacker, he just has a focus. If it helps, consider the Comm to be a Control Deck where the Command application is the Rating.

There is a difference between issuing commands to a drone (aka "captain's chair") and "jumping in" the drone. Jumping in does rely on the rigger's stats plus, since it is VR mode, the rigger reduces the thresholds for driving checks by 1.

+Quote Post
Link
post Aug 31 2005, 04:23 AM
Post #213

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

Limited attempts: Under the information on Extended Tests in the Game Concepts chapter, it is recommended that on tests where success isn't ensured (and finding a security flaw in the car's software isn't a sure thing), the character should be limited to a number of rolls equal to his dice pool. So if his dice pool for the Hacking + Exploit test is 8, he's got 8 rolls to get the threshold. If he can't do it in that time, he just can't find a flaw in the software.

64 dice to not hack the car. :rollin:

+Quote Post
TaiChara
post Aug 31 2005, 05:55 AM
Post #214

Target

Member No.: 3,931

QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (mintcar @ Aug 30 2005, 02:27 PM)
I don´t buy your explanation Synner. You can´t take the Logic attribute out of the equation when hacking. It´s the persona that does the doing? Certainly the case with physical attributes, but with mental? So you´re not actually there at all then? The persona is a separate, thinking entity and the character´s only contribution is skillful use of this entity?

This is by far the most unsatisfying thing I´ve heard about SR4.

It sounds more like the Program is treated like a semi-autonomous pet or drone, as opposed to a Spell which has far less intellegence. So the program's own dice are added to the primary contribution by the decker, which they chose as the Hacking skill.

A persona as a seperate, thinking entity?

Or even a semi-autonomous pet or drone ... (although I like the first interpretation better)

I think I now have the system for some deranged hybrid between Shadowrun and Rockman.EXE --

Huzzah!! *ebils*

+Quote Post
Jürgen Hubert
post Aug 31 2005, 07:32 AM
Post #215

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,453

I have visions of a technomancer walking down the street, surrounded by floating drones controlled by the POWER OF HIS MIND!

Anyway, two questions:

- Are there "free sprites" similar to free spirits?

- Does anyone use standard fibre-optic channels for anything? Like, say, when you are somewhere where you don't want to draw attention to you being there by emitting radio waves? Or when you you want a secure line that can't be intercepted by anyone with a Commlink?

+Quote Post
Memo
post Aug 31 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #216

Target

Member No.: 7,661

Actually, i'd say that hacking is now more realistic.
The major part of RL (cr)hacking involves wiriting and tweaking attack code,
doing testruns against a relevantly configured testbed system.

_running_ the program/script against a remote system doesn't involve any thinking, other than version detection, magic number buffer
memory retpoint calculation/guessing (in the case of buffer overflow/format string error bugs) and maybe a connection routing
scheme. (zombie nets, TOR)

You could say that the "thinking" part consists of the hackers programming skill.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Aug 31 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #217

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Link)
Limited attempts: Under the information on Extended Tests in the Game Concepts chapter, it is recommended that on tests where success isn't ensured (and finding a security flaw in the car's software isn't a sure thing), the character should be limited to a number of rolls equal to his dice pool. So if his dice pool for the Hacking + Exploit test is 8, he's got 8 rolls to get the threshold. If he can't do it in that time, he just can't find a flaw in the software.

64 dice to not hack the car. :rollin:

Except that if you glitch, you remove hits from the success test. If you critical glitch, the test blown. So it's not at all like rolling 64 dice at once and seeing if you get enough hits.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Aug 31 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #218

Moving Target

QUOTE (Memo)
Actually, i'd say that hacking is now more realistic.
The major part of RL (cr)hacking involves wiriting and tweaking attack code,
doing testruns against a relevantly configured testbed system.

_running_ the program/script against a remote system doesn't involve any thinking, other than version detection, magic number buffer
memory retpoint calculation/guessing (in the case of buffer overflow/format string error bugs) and maybe a connection routing
scheme. (zombie nets, TOR)

You could say that the "thinking" part consists of the hackers programming skill.

If it was this point & click, the skill would be pointless. Make it a Program Rating+System test since that covers the application's capabilities and the Comm's processing power.

I can't comprehend how a person's mental abilities would have no impact on what is basically a mental test but that their skill would. Does not compute. I work with people who have the data and processes needed to do a job stored in their head so they have the skill rating but are incapable of making the leap of, dare I say, LOGIC that would let them simplify the process and save an immense amount of time when running programs.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 31 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #219

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

I can't comprehend how a person's mental abilities would have no impact on what is basically a mental test but that their skill would.

It isn't that they have no impact, it is just that it was judged to be in 3rd place. Only the top two are included in the die pool.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Aug 31 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #220

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Jürgen Hubert)
- Are there "free sprites" similar to free spirits?

Yes. p236 decribes uncontrolled Sprites. However, I can't imagine that these entities last very long before they are de-rezzed. I'd treat them as Agents or SKs. Anything greater than that, and you are mucking about in the AI mess again, and I don't think that a Technomancer should have to power to create an AI.
- Does anyone use standard fibre-optic channels for anything? Like, say, when you are somewhere where you don't want to draw attention to you being there by emitting radio waves? Or when you you want a secure line that can't be intercepted by anyone with a Commlink?
On p331, under the entry for datajacks, there is specific text that says this exact situation (connecting your brains together to communicate mind-to-mind using a fiberoptic cable between two datajacks). I'd imagine that fiber-optic ports are standard on a lot of devices, barring size restrictions (i.e. Contacts or possibly Glasses might not have a port)

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Sep 1 2005, 02:07 AM
Post #221

Moving Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
I can't comprehend how a person's mental abilities would have no impact on what is basically a mental test but that their skill would.

It isn't that they have no impact, it is just that it was judged to be in 3rd place. Only the top two are included in the die pool.

The thing that bugs me is that there's a way to get all three and it is already being used in another part of the system, Magic.

Program Rating (which is limited by your hardware) sets the maximum successes from your Stat+Skill roll. Good programs, which mean good hardware, get jobs done faster. Logic & Skill both apply.

+Quote Post
Halabis
post Sep 1 2005, 03:31 AM
Post #222

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,773

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
On p331, under the entry for datajacks, there is specific text that says this exact situation (connecting your brains together to communicate mind-to-mind using a fiberoptic cable between two datajacks).

Wait a minute..... Does this mean that 2 people can comunicate telepathicaly with wwireless comlinks, considering you can do anything wirelessly that you can do wired?

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Sep 1 2005, 04:09 AM
Post #223

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

I would have thought that would have been one of the very first impications of widespread wireless comm technology in a setting where we've already established that with the right implant, you can transcribe thoughts into digital format.

+Quote Post
Halabis
post Sep 1 2005, 04:33 AM
Post #224

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,773

I dont know if i like that. Instantly talking to anyone anywhere in the world just by thought only by knowing their comlink's ip address. Seems too, odd. Especialy for technomancers, might as well just give them telepathy.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Sep 1 2005, 06:29 AM
Post #225

Mr. Johnson

The transducer was an established piece of tech ever since the "Cybertechnology" sourcebook. In SR4, transducers are assumed to be part of the mind-machine interface, either with a datajack or a commlink. Besides, we communicate nearly instantaneously TODAY with the Internet. My gaming group uses Voice over IP to play our Shadowrun sessions, with one member all the way across the country. People can dial up their friends half-way across the world on cellphones. It's not too far of a stretch.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 03:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.