Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PDF price, Fairly self explanitory.
Ranneko
post Aug 25 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,984

Just out of curiousity, any chance we can find out how much the PDF will set us back?

I mean I know I will be getting it pretty much regardless, but it would still be handy info to have.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Canterbury T...
post Aug 25 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 6,182

Since the book itself will be $34.99, I'm guessing the PDF will be around the $23-27 mark.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Aug 25 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Swordfish Mustardball

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Aug 25 2005, 05:57 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

That's outrageous that they'd charge that much for a PDF.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 25 2005, 05:59 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

Because?

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Aug 25 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

Here we go again with the "Why so fragging much for a PDF?" thread again.

The PDF is NOT simply take your pre-press file and hit a button to export a PDF.

Making the PDF is a shitload of work.

You need to make all the little bookmarks/hyperlinks by hand, in Acrobat (your best bet, not in inDesign itself). Then you need to hand test all those hundreds of hyperlinks, from the Table of Contents, through to the Index, to pages in the middle that have links to "See table on page 354."

Sell the PDF for too little, and all the stores that would normally by the hardcover book won't because they're being undercut. They don't buy the books.... Fanpro doesn't make much money.

The distributors of the PDF still need to make a profit margin. Adam needs to be paid for all the hard work he does creating the PDF, proof reading, double checking it. Fanpro needs to make money from the PDFs.

If you don't like the price of a PDF.... don't buy it.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Aug 25 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #7

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

Looks like the pdf of new releases is running about 70-75% of the print price. So I'll guess $25.

Concerning the price, you are getting the same information, just another format that is cheaper to produce. The savings from the print version is probably in lieu of printing and transportation costs.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Aug 25 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

Not in the industry myself - but based on many comments from freelancers, writers, and artists - they don't get paid a whole lot. I'm guessing that the majority of the cost of a book is in the physical printing.

Yeah, setting up a pdf is time consuming, but what? 40 hours work? Even at $10/hour thats only $400 - a one time fee - not needed for each copy sold like a print copy would.

*Shrug* I guess I'm in the camp of "PDF's should be much cheaper", but what it really comes down to is demand and value. If you feel that the PDF is too expensive, then the only way you can 'voice' this is to not buy it - and encourage others to not buy it. Then hope they lower the price.

But based on the rabid appetites of the fans here at DS, I have a feeling that SR4 PDF will leap to the top of DTRPG's best selling list.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Aug 25 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

QUOTE (Eldritch)
Yeah, setting up a pdf is time consuming, but what? 40 hours work? Even at $10/hour thats only $400 - a one time fee - not needed for each copy sold like a print copy would.

What I know about the gaming industry would fit in a gnat's ear, but I sincerely hope that whoever works on the PDF earns more than a lousy ten bucks an hour.

+Quote Post
Gildashard
post Aug 25 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 3,911

I've always though PDF books were priced high. Look at the break down.

You have two choices, eBook, or Book. Somwhere in that price is the cost of the intellectual property, in this case, Shadowrun itself. Marketing and advertising the product problably takes a cut as well. Proofreading & editing.This applies to both.

So what's left. Well a book has to be made from physical material, manufactured, printed, handled, & shipped. An eBook has to be PDFed with links, bookmarks and tested to see that they work. Both can be bought online, and onlines stores sometimes take a hit on books by giving free or reduced shipping to compete with brick and mortar stores.

Just don't see how a PDF is only little less costly than a REAL book when you factor in what it takes to make the book and get it to the store. I had an old RPG with the pages falling Hardbound one time. It was about the page count and size as Shadowrun. It costs $30 and that was 10 years ago. Granted, that was one book, not a production run, but still.

Now on to my next pet peeve. If I bought the book, why do I have to pay extra for the pdf? I already bought the intellectual property, I should only have to pay the pdf creation fee. Of course this applies to Cassette tapes and CDs as well, if I bought the tape, I should only have to pay an upgrade fee to get the higher quality CD. After all, I already owned the rights to the songs on the album.

Fuzzy line here, and with online music and books, something has to shake out in the end.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Aug 25 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

QUOTE (Velocity)
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Aug 25 2005, 02:28 PM)
Yeah, setting up a pdf is time consuming, but what? 40 hours work?  Even at $10/hour thats only $400 - a one time fee - not needed for each copy sold like a print copy would.

What I know about the gaming industry would fit in a gnat's ear, but I sincerely hope that whoever works on the PDF earns more than a lousy ten bucks an hour.

I tossed out round numbers for lazee sake. :)

But the way everyone in the gaming indusrty talks....I'd be suprised if it were much more than that.

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Aug 25 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Buying the book is just that. Buying the book.

Just because I have a copy of Adobe CS for Mac doesn't mean I get a free one for the PC too. You have to buy both.

PDF is a separate, and different medium. You want both. Buy both. PDFs also have large advantages... being searchable, printable, etc.

If they make the PDF really cheap, then brick and mortar stores will not want to carry the hard copy books.... they're being undercut by the PDF.

This is the same reason why many books cost the same, whether you order directly from the publisher, or buy a copy in a brick and mortar store. That's why FanPro sold the books at GenCon for the same price as what you'd pay in store.

The PDFs are also updated, and get errata updates, corrections etc... for 'free'. You don't get that with the hard copy. Unless you want to pay less for the initial PDF, and pay for each update, errata fix. When I say for 'free', they're building the cost into the initial PDF you purchase.

You don't get a CD for half price just because you own the cassette. Point of fact, you may 'own' the cd or cassette.... but you do not own the songs on the. You just have a license to listen to them.

+Quote Post
Bandwidthoracle
post Aug 25 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,672

Since Fanpro is nice enough to give us the errata does that mean we'll be alloud to download a new copy every time the errata is updated (I thought there was a hard limit on how many downloads you got of the PDF)

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Aug 25 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

QUOTE (Gildashard)
Now on to my next pet peeve. If I bought the book, why do I have to pay extra for the pdf?

Can you click on a bookmark in your hardcopy and be taken immediately to that page and paragraph?

Can you cut and paste huge chunks of text from your hardcopy into a player handout sheet?

Can you do a complete text keyword search in less than 10 seconds with the hardcopy?

Can you make identical copies of your hardcover rulebook and store them in multiple locations, in case of damage or destruction, free of charge?

Can you get your hardcopy updated with errata instantaneously and free of charge?

I already bought the intellectual property, I should only have to pay the pdf creation fee. Of course this applies to Cassette tapes and CDs as well, if I bought the tape, I should only have to pay an upgrade fee to get the higher quality CD. After all, I already owned the rights to the songs on the album.

No, you didn't. You bought the physical media, and a license to listen to the recording, as impressed in that medium. You did not buy the IP, nor did you buy the right to a copy of that recording on another, possibly higher fidelity, medium. However, you do have the 'fair right' to make a copy of that recording, directly from that medium, for personal use and backups.

+Quote Post
Knarfy
post Aug 25 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 7,621

DOuble post, srry

+Quote Post
Knarfy
post Aug 25 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #16

Target

Ill tell you why PDF's are as expensive as they are, because they will only actually sell a few compared to the number of books they will sell.

Why?

Piracy, thats why. They will sell a few, and then the file will be up for grabs. If they could guarantee that everyone who wanted one would actually pay for it, then I bet they would make it cheaper. But the less the think they'll sell, the higher they have to charge per unit to make up their baseline.

It kinda sucks, but, welcome to the information age :S

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Aug 25 2005, 07:17 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Providing people manage to remove the watermarks; your name you purchased the book under, from every single page of the PDF.....

Otherwise you're advertising that you're breaking all sorts of copyright violations.

+Quote Post
Knarfy
post Aug 25 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #18

Target

I know they have anti-piracy measures, but even so, they will at least only sell one for most groups. Since if you give your friends a copy of your PDF, they arent gonnna rat you out.

But, irregardless, they will sell them for what they sell them :)

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 25 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #19

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (ShadowGhost @ Aug 25 2005, 01:17 PM)
Providing people manage to remove the watermarks; your name you purchased the book under, from every single page of the PDF.....

Otherwise you're advertising that you're breaking all sorts of copyright violations.

I was lead to believe that Battlecorps didn't even bother to watermark. But that aside, the cost of a book goes to many things beyond the physical piece of paper and the costs to put the ink to it. The PDF avoids those costs, although it does have some lesser distribution costs regarding maintaining the server and bandwidth.

EDIT: Also the book sold in paper form does not preclude illegal electronic redistribution. If you look hard enough you can find the SR3 books in a scanned graphic format. Obviously not as nice as searchable text, but usable.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Aug 25 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Knarfy)
Piracy, thats why. They will sell a few, and then the file will be up for grabs.

I wonder about that. I've browsed file-sharing networks looking for Shadowrun PDFs and none of the copies I've downloaded are the 'official' ones. They're not pretty (poor scans, lopsided pages, blurred text) and aren't searchable, nor hyperlinked.

(:noflame: Before anyone gets their knickers in a knot: I only download PDFs of books I already own. I own a scanner, but frankly I haven't the time to scan all of my books. I have no interest in cheating FASA/FanPro; they put out a good product and I'd like to keep them in business.)

In fact, I've never found the official PDFs online and I've been downloaded Shadowrun PDFs for months. So who's putting them "up for grabs"?

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Aug 25 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

I got my PDFs from DriveThruRPG.... every single page has my full name, and order number on it.

Would make it very easy to track me down if they started showing up on the internet.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Aug 25 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,741

The official PDFs are for sale on a couple of the sites that sell Shadowrun books. Not anywhere near all of them.

As for who puts up the illegal copies: You need to research it yourself. But, while I don't do it, I find it ironic that a game in which canon characters have illegally distributed information is having problems with illegal distribution of information. Looks to me like some people play the game a little too much.

Personally, I don't know anyone who has done it. But it doesn't surprise me that it exists.

+Quote Post
Knarfy
post Aug 25 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #23

Target

Hmm, perhaps I should backtrack a bit here. I am not an expert on PDF's or software piracy. I do not regularly hunt down PDF's and download them. (in fact, I have a habit of getting all my books in hardcopy)

It just seems to me, that it being in a digital media format, that the chances that it will be illegally distributed are high, and it is a possible reason for the seemingly high pricepoint.

My original post should have been more of the "this is what it might be" rather than the "this is what it is" tone. ;)

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Aug 25 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Fairplay; maybe it is done. All I'm saying is that I've spent many hours looking through various file-sharing netwroks (both peer-to-peer and torrents) and I've never seen a single "official" PDF. I've downloaded dozens (literally) of books and not one of them was "official" (i.e. clean, searchable, indexed, etcetera).

I'm not arguing that it's not done, I'm just saying that I've never seen it.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Aug 25 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

Just FYI
http://p205.ezboard.com/fedenstudiosdiscus...picID=363.topic
I came to this board through the DriveThruRpg Forum.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.