IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Analyze Device, Best spell in game or plain broken?
tisoz
post Aug 27 2005, 01:35 AM
Post #1

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

Analyze Device (Active, Directional)
Type:P  Range:T  Duration:S  DV:(F/2)

This spell allows the subject to analyze the purpose and operation of a device or piece of equipment within range of the sense.  The caster must gain enough hits on the Spellcasting Test to beat the item's Object Resistance.  Each net hit gives the subject a bonus die while operating the device, and allows the subject to ignore any skill default modifiers for using the device while the spell is sustained.

Combine with sustaining foci, Ritual Spellcasting with each member using foci and spirits for success, and get a boatload of bonus dice every time you do about anything.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Aug 27 2005, 01:38 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,534

Doesnt AR do the same ? Or SHOULD do the same ?
I would give AR dice OR dice from this spell.

Also, I would allow only skills that are connected with intuition and logic.

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Aug 27 2005, 01:42 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

The operative phrase is net hits. For a technologically complex item like a smartgun, the object resistance is likely to be a fairly high threshhold.

You'll also get a ton of dice from just about any enhancing spell if you have a whole ritual group cast it and you sustain it with a focus. If you'd like even more power, have those buddies of yours conjure elementals and put them on remote service to attack your enemies. Two dozen fire elementals will make any pyros day!!

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Aug 27 2005, 02:04 AM
Post #4

Free Spirit

The highest threshold on the obj. res. table was 4 for obj. res. 10.

If it is this good, every magician should know it, so ritually casting it should not be a big problem. Think corporate mages that need not worry about crossing wards. They should all know the spell and be helping out by casting it on the research scientists, or the guys in the delta clinic, etc..

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 27 2005, 04:27 AM
Post #5

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

You do realize that with an OR of 4, you're not very likely to get any net hits? A mage specialized with that class of spell for spellcasting, several initiate grades, and a focus may be able to get you a couple net hits on average.

<shurg> And as with anything else, it's up to the GM to control the game. Rules only get you so far, and they can be bent and broken by any player with half a brain and a bend toward malice or munchkinism.

Bull

+Quote Post
maeel
post Aug 27 2005, 04:36 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,586

QUOTE (tisoz @ Aug 26 2005, 09:04 PM)
The highest threshold on the obj. res. table was 4 for obj. res. 10.

If it is this good, every magician should know it, so ritually casting it should not be a big problem.  Think corporate mages that need not worry about crossing wards.  They should all know the spell and be helping out by casting it on the research scientists, or the guys in the delta clinic, etc..

i am confused now, is the max obj. res. 4 or 10(which i doubt)

what obj. res. does a firearm have ?....

can give some examples?

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Aug 27 2005, 05:14 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,590

Isn't the name of the spell "Analyze Device"? as in "tell me how the hell it works so I know which buttons to push"? I'd allow it as a means of replacing a skill you don't have, maybe, or as a way of removing penalties you may have due to unfamiliarity with the type of device in question (which usually will be linked to low skill, but it could just be a completely new type of gizmo for a skill you're really good at). I sure as hell wouldn't allow an "Analyze Device" spell to give bonuses to a sammie for his newly-acquired understanding of what a smartlink is, what it is for and how it works.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 27 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #8

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Who needs a smartlink? Magicians who don't want to loose the essence can simply sustain this spell and get themselves M1911s. Lower OR, ya know. :wobble:

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 27 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #9

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Who needs a smartlink? Magicians who don't want to loose the essence can simply sustain this spell and get themselves M1911s. Lower OR, ya know. :wobble:

Wireless SL looks like it will be everywhere, w/no essense loss. You slap in a pair of contact lenses, pick up the weapon, put on your tinfoil hat (trodes), link it all up to the commlink, and your SL is as good as the sammie with the hardwired one next to you....until a techno/decker mananges to crack your commlinks firewall or you enter a wireless static zone.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 27 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #10

Dragon

QUOTE (tisoz)
Analyze Device (Active, Directional)
Type:P  Range:T  Duration:S  DV:(F/2)

This spell allows the subject to analyze the purpose and operation of a device or piece of equipment within range of the sense.  The caster must gain enough hits on the Spellcasting Test to beat the item's Object Resistance.  Each net hit gives the subject a bonus die while operating the device, and allows the subject to ignore any skill default modifiers for using the device while the spell is sustained.

Combine with sustaining foci, Ritual Spellcasting with each member using foci and spirits for success, and get a boatload of bonus dice every time you do about anything.

Does the specific object need to be present during casting? If so that's quite limiting. Add in that they'll have to have the hassle/danger of an always active sustaining focus associated with it, and it doesn't seem too bad.

I think where this really would rock is with, well a rock. Or a tree branch (club).

+Quote Post
Triggerz
post Aug 27 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,590

Hmmm... yeah. I'll stick with allowing it for situations in which you'd be penalized for not knowing what the gizmo is for and how it works. Maybe guns make more sense that I want to admit though. Analyze Device would give the mage a better understanding of how recoil works, etc., so that he or she could position his or her body better and be more effective with a gun. Personally, I'll stick to a really narrow interpretation of what the spell can do.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Aug 27 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #12

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

I cat Analyze device at that thing!"

That object is ment to sling large peices of lead at you....

roll for surprise....

muhahaha

+Quote Post
Omega Skip
post Aug 27 2005, 03:25 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,074

Hum, I can understand how some people may think this is broken. What strikes me as a little "odd" is that the spell does not take into account how much the caster already knows about the device being analyzed. Doesn't make much sense to improve the skill of someone who already knows pretty much all there is to know about an object.

Seems to me the spell was intended to allow low- or unskilled characters to operate some devices they may not normally know how to use, not for high skilled characters to roll even more dice. I guess you could balance this spell if you somehow factored in the level of the skill that is being buffed.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 27 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #14

Dragon

It is a bonus, not a point in Skill, with the side effect that you don't need prior formal training to use the device.

+Quote Post
maeel
post Aug 27 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,586

i think you take the spells name to literally, i can imagine that it gives you some sort of feeling for the device. Like having a feeling for your car, which you possess and drive every day since 5 years ago. Somehow not seeing but knowing where its edges are, so that you could basically drive it with eyes closed....

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 27 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #16

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

THat is the way I interperate it at the moment. It provides a magical (device) sense so long as the spell is sustained. This sense provides constant feedback from the device sort of like a magical half-VCR or the adept attunment metamagic.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Aug 28 2005, 08:36 PM
Post #17

Free Spirit

QUOTE (maeel)
i am confused now, is the max obj. res. 4 or 10(which i doubt)

what obj. res. does a firearm have ?....

can give some examples?

The table goes up to threshold 4 for items with object resistance 10+.

Natural Objects, threshold 1
Manufactured, low tech object, threshold 2
Mfg, high tech object, threshold 3
Highly processed objects, threshold 4

Difficulty to get 4 hits, auto successes if pool is large enough, or every 3 dice in pool should expect a success. So Magic 5 and Spellcasting 5 on average should get 3 hits, one reroll of failures should average 2 more hits for 5 total, beating the threshold.

Using Ritual Spellcasting could garner 10 net hits, or 10 bonus dice any time they use an object during a skill test. Wards could be a definite impediment, making it even more useful for NPCs, who could pass through the wards without needing to recast. Also the subject need not be the caster.

QUOTE (blakkie)
Does the specific object need to be present during casting?

It is cast on a person and is directional (like sight), so the sustaining focus is on the person (or drone?) and can be used with whatever is in front of them.

Directional is compared to normal vision, area effect is compared to hearing, and psychic is compared to 6th sense, so its not quite LOS

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 28 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #18

Dragon

QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (blakkie)
Does the specific object need to be present during casting?

It is cast on a person and is directional (like sight), so the sustaining focus is on the person (or drone?) and can be used with whatever is in front of them.

Directional is compared to normal vision, area effect is compared to hearing, and psychic is compared to 6th sense, so its not quite LOS

But only one device, or device type, per casting? Or only one device at a time? Free Action to switch devices if that is possible?

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Aug 28 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #19

Free Spirit

It is cast on a subject, it gives the subject a bonus when using an object within limits of the directional sense. So I am assuming, as long as it is sustained, any object the subject uses (makes a skill test for) gets the bonus. It doesn't say one object at a time, or limit the object other than net successes over threshold based on OR.

The old spell was cast on objects, this one is cast on a person. I included drones because they seem like they are not precluded from benefitting from the spell. Critters now have skills, so I guess they could also be the subject of the spell.

My concern with the spell is how easily it wrecks the idea of skill caps.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.