IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to make a better..., Tips for character creation.
Ellery
post Aug 31 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,298

I thought it might be useful to have a thread that points out ways to get the most out of the character creation system. If you like playing powerful characters, this is useful. If you dislike it when players have overly powerful characters, this is also useful--you may want to modify some rules or simply say someone can't do something.

Here are a few tips:

Buy Exceptional Attribute before raising a stat to 6. Exceptional Attribute costs 20bp, but you can then raise the stat to 6 for 10bp--30bp cost total, with the option to later pay 21 karma to raise the stat to 7. If you just raise the stat to 6, it costs 25bp--nearly as much and without the advancement option.

Load your mage up with bioware. For 1 essence, you can get a +1 boost to strength, agility, logic, one physical skill, and ignore stun while getting +1 to willpower and -1 to intuition (which you won't use so much anyway, as a Hermetic), all for only 75k (15bp). That's a 34bp bonus plus some nice effects for only 25bp cost (you'll have to buy an extra point of magic along with the price of the goodies). And you can still take the "sensitive system" negative quality for +15bp, since that applies only to cyberware. If you're going for Magic 5 or 6, you might want to think twice about this, but at Magic 4 you can still throw force 8 spells if you need to (which is probably as much as you can soak anyway), and you've only lost one die from your spellcasting test. Note: Synner, this answers a previous debate we had about the frequency of augmented magical characters.

For long-term characters, buy skills in character creation and attributes afterwards. During character creation, attributes cost 2.5x as much as skills. But after character creation, attributes only cost 1.5x as much as skills. So if your game plan includes a lot of skills, and you expect your character to survive for a while, buy the skills you want right away and work the attributes up later. (Kind of backwards--people normally develop attributes early in life and then spend the rest of their life developing skills, but never mind that!)

Cluster skills by attribute, and buy that attribute instead of building up the skills.We know this already, of course. For example, agility is used for no less than 16 skills (not counting exotic weapons) in unarmed and ranged combat, athletics, infiltration, and other cool stuff. If you spend the 60bp to get a skill of 1 in each of these skills, then raising agility by 1 (10bp cost) is as effective as spending another 60bp to raise all the skills by one. Very effective! 100bp will give you 6 dice to roll in 16 different skills. It's even worth taking Exceptional Attribute and hitting 7 before raising the skills separately, unless you don't care about a lot of them. Heck, with only a -1 defaulting penalty, you might not even need the skill.

Unless you're taking advantage of the attribute boost, don't buy skills at a low level. It costs very little karma to raise a skill from 0 to a low level. It costs a lot more to raise it from low to high. So raise your skills as high as you can (given the limits) during creation--that's skill 4 except for the 1 or 2 things you want to specialize in--or don't take them.

If you're not taking cyberware or bioware for some reason, get magic! It only costs 5bp to be an adept, and you get a full power point to spend (normally a 10bp value). You don't need any skills, either. Pretty cool! For an extra 5bp, get Mystic Adept and you'll have the option to cast spells later if you want to build up your magic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kater
post Aug 31 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 7,657

Yay! Min-maxing'R'us ... couldn't take long until the first thread like this appeared...

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Aug 31 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Min-maxing in SR4 is so easy it's not like posting about it will give away any great secrets that people would otherwise not notice. There aren't many variables to play with, and caps keep everything in small, easily-computed ranges.

But it might be helpful for GMs to get quickly up to speed on what things they might want to house rule, or look out for, or help their players with.

+Quote Post
Chiba Cowboy
post Aug 31 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 7,553

Why not try thinking of a character concept and then spending points to try and emulate that character's abilities?

"My character concept is a guy with sixteen skills based upon agility and who has magic because he didn't buy cyber/bioware!"...

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Aug 31 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

Just don't try it. This is a thread for mini-maxers. You will not find any new arguments that have not been used a thousand times and you will never convert one of them to roleplaying and not building pseudo-characters with the depth of cardboard. So please stop it before it starts. :)

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Aug 31 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

It can be frustrating to build a character according to a concept and then have him suck greatly compared to another character who supposedly has a concept, but has been min-maxxed and then given an excuse--er, background, I mean--for why he or she is that way.

It's good to at least know what's out there, unless you're the type who doesn't even notice when one character is doing 70% of the interesting stuff in the entire game.

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Aug 31 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

I didn't say anything against your way of playing. It is your game. Play it the way you like it.

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Aug 31 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Was that supposed to be a reply to my post? It seems wholly irrelevant to what I said, and I haven't said what my way of playing is.

+Quote Post
Spartan
post Aug 31 2005, 12:24 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 992

QUOTE (Chiba Cowboy)
Why not try thinking of a character concept and then spending points to try and emulate that character's abilities?

"My character concept is a guy with sixteen skills based upon agility and who has magic because he didn't buy cyber/bioware!"...

Sure - but isn´t that a little bit beside the point in a thread on how to build a more effective character? How does "you play wrong" contribute to this, or any, discussion?

+Quote Post
Chiba Cowboy
post Aug 31 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #10

Target

Sure - but isn´t that a little bit beside the point in a thread on how to build a more effective character? How does "you play wrong" contribute to this, or any, discussion?

You sir, need more effective character...

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Aug 31 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ellery)
[...]I haven't said what my way of playing is.

Of course you did:

It's good to at least know what's out there, unless you're the type who doesn't even notice when one character is doing 70% of the interesting stuff in the entire game.

It starts with our obviously totally different thoughts about what is interesting in the game. Effectiveness has nothing to do with being interesting. At least not for me. But as said before: That's OFF TOPIC, because this is not a discussion about different gaming-styles.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 31 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Ellery)
Load your mage up with bioware. For 1 essence, you can get a +1 boost to strength, agility, logic, one physical skill, and ignore stun while getting +1 to willpower and -1 to intuition (which you won't use so much anyway, as a Hermetic), all for only 75k (15bp). That's a 34bp bonus plus some nice effects for only 25bp cost (you'll have to buy an extra point of magic along with the price of the goodies). And you can still take the "sensitive system" negative quality for +15bp, since that applies only to cyberware. If you're going for Magic 5 or 6, you might want to think twice about this, but at Magic 4 you can still throw force 8 spells if you need to (which is probably as much as you can soak anyway), and you've only lost one die from your spellcasting test.

So that's Hermetic only, less advisable for Shamans?

If you take the 1 essense hit does Magic 4-->5 then cost 25BP? Without the ability to geas the Magic loss i can't see mages with 'ware any more prominent than in SR3, at least the basic cyberware was common in my characters (DJ, SL2 bought in parts so it also could support a general use HUD, and of course Trama Damper.

Unless you don't expect to develop the magic abilities, that bioware purchase doesn't seem that good long run. It isn't too bad buy up to Magic 5 (15 karma vs. 10BP it would have cost) post chargen to avoid the extra 15BP, but past there it really starts to add up costing an extra 13 karma to reach Magic(6) plus an extra 3 karma per Magic point after that. So 'ware heads you strongly down the Squib path right from start.

P.S. No i don't have the PDF yet. My Battlecorps account is busted (not Battlecorps fault), awaiting a reply email.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 31 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Oh, and built any 400BP Mr. 24's yet? Curious to see what a real, by the rules Mr. 24 looks like overall.

+Quote Post
Chiba Cowboy
post Aug 31 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #14

Target

If you like playing "powerful" characters (obviously statistically rather than psychologically or dramatically...) why not just give everyone more points? Having the highest number of dice available for common tests does not constitute a character, it just belies you are character focused. Why not do maths puzzles if all you are interesting in is generating numbers?

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Aug 31 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

That particular set of bioware is less advisable for shamen, but there are other sets one could choose. I didn't mention that you can buy foci (26bp for +2 magic from a force 2 power focus), so your magic will really be 6, not 4.

And anyway, after you are out of character creation, that last attribute point doesn't cost extra any more. The only disadvantage is that you'll need one extra initiate grade for the same level of magic (which costs 10 + (grade x 3) karma). In the long run, it's probably cheaper not to take bioware, but it's a big boost early on.

Oh, and there are no more trauma dampers, thank heavens. That was just about the most broken piece of SR3 'ware. If you allowed mages to take that and summon infinite watchers for free, and cast L-drain spells for free, then it was a very, very big reason for SR3 mages to get 'ware, which is now gone.

Added in edit: I haven't built anyone with 24s, but I also don't see where the limit of 24 dice is stated. Haven't really looked, though. It's pretty straightforward with an adept, though--attribute 10 (7 + 3pts from bioware) costing 100bp; skill 8 (6 base + 2 specialization) costing 26bp; enhanced ability 6 costing 3 magic points, which is 35bp. Total cost: 161bp. The remaining 239bp should allow you to flesh out a pretty decent character. That attribute is going to help you out a lot, too, especially if it's something like agility (which it probably is). In fact, getting additional agility-linked skills with 16 dice would only be another 18bp each.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 31 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #16

Dragon

QUOTE (Chiba Cowboy)
<snipped like Bob Barker's dog>

Read more...spam less...go away...bye. :wavey:

+Quote Post
Chiba Cowboy
post Aug 31 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #17

Target

Oh, and there are no more trauma dampers, thank heavens. That was just about the most broken piece of SR3 'ware. If you allowed mages to take that and summon infinite watchers for free, and cast L-drain spells for free, then it was a very, very big reason for SR3 mages to get 'ware, which is now gone.

Obviously, since it was a badly implemented ruleswise, you just had to exploit it ! Otherwise your character concept just would not be optimal... I see....

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Aug 31 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

[...]and cast L-drain spells for free[...]

With a trauma damper not only L-drain spells are for free under SR3. Effectively it means to have two free successes in any drain resistance test. As a gm I normally punished players trying to get through with that by using my disciplinator (fist-sized d20) on them. ^^

One reason less to punish my players. :(

Any 'fishy' new ware in the new book?

+Quote Post
Chiba Cowboy
post Aug 31 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #19

Target

Roleplay more... minimax less.... :S

+Quote Post
Chiba Cowboy
post Aug 31 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #20

Target

With a trauma damper not only L-drain spells are for free under SR3. Effectively it means to have two free successes in any drain resistance test. As a gm I normally punished players trying to get through with that by using my disciplinator (fist-sized d20) on them. ^^

One reason less to punish my players. frown.gif

You could always make them play with Blakkie? ;)

+Quote Post
milspec
post Aug 31 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 7,658

Buy Exceptional Attribute before raising a stat to 6.  Exceptional Attribute costs 20bp, but you can then raise the stat to 6 for 10bp--30bp cost total, with the option to later pay 21 karma to raise the stat to 7.  If you just raise the stat to 6, it costs 25bp--nearly as much and without the advancement option.

This does not appear to be valid based on the rules (from my new PDF) :

The final increase spent to raise an attribute to its natural maximum (known as “maxing out”) costs 25 BP instead of the normal 10.

It is not the number "6" that costs 25, it is your natural max that costs 25. Since you are still increasing the attribute to its natural maximum, it would still cost 25 BP.

milspec

+Quote Post
phelious fogg
post Aug 31 2005, 01:00 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,408

You can roleplay and min-max, its a normal thing to do for most gamers I've ever met.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 31 2005, 01:00 PM
Post #23

Dragon

QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 31 2005, 06:47 AM)
That particular set of bioware is less advisable for shamen, but there are other sets one could choose.  I didn't mention that you can buy foci (26bp for +2 magic from a force 2 power focus), so your magic will really be 6, not 4.

What about using a mix of bioware and cyberware to fit the most in under 1 point, or even 2 points (for Adepts and technos) of essense cost?

And anyway, after you are out of character creation, that last attribute point doesn't cost extra any more.  The only disadvantage is that you'll need one extra initiate grade for the same level of magic (which costs 10 + (grade x 3) karma).  In the long run, it's probably cheaper not to take bioware, but it's a big boost early on.

Ya, that's what da post said. 15 karam to bring it to Magic (5) (avoiding the chargen only penalty), but the extra grade costs you 13 karama to get the Magic cap to 6 and then an extra 3 karma over normal costs for each point of increasing the Magic cap after that.

Couple that with the improved 'trodes and non-implanted 'ware equivalents, and that seems to suggest maybe slightly less ware in mages? Certainly in "serious" mages. Can non-technos do hot VR with trodes, or only cold VR?

Oh, and there are no more trauma dampers, thank heavens.  That was just about the most broken piece of SR3 'ware.  If you allowed mages to take that and summon infinite watchers for free, and cast L-drain spells for free, then it was a very, very big reason for SR3 mages to get 'ware, which is now gone.

I did notice you mentioning avoiding stun, what was that?

+Quote Post
Chiba Cowboy
post Aug 31 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #24

Target

You can roleplay and min-max, its a normal thing to do for most gamers I've ever met.

Well, you could try finding some decent people to play with?

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Aug 31 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Chiba, if you don't care about min-maxxing, why are you posting here? If you dislike it, do you think it will magically disappear if nobody talks about it? "La la la, I don't hear you, I don't see anything, you didn't just take out that armored troll in the dark from 400m while badly wounded."

I haven't really looked through the ware in much detail. Nothing jumps out at me as being completely broken. Stat bonuses are surprisingly cheap--0.2 essence per level, which is +1 to a stat, and under 10k per level. Any runner with any cash at all would be crazy not to get implants up to the level that they can take advantage of, with the possible exception of technomancers and magicians.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.