Reply to this topicStart new topic
> System Failure, now available
Synner
post Sep 1 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 185

For those who haven't yet caught the news (or the thread in the SR4 subforum): the System Failure pdf is now available through DriveThruRPG. Welcome to the end of the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 1 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (Synner)
Welcome to the end of the world.

Bring your most fashionable firearm accessory. It's going to be a blast.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 1 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

The celebrations will conclude with a good ol' fashion Deck burning party. Some to be roasted from the inside out. :dead: :noflame:

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Sep 1 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

How long for the non-electronic thing?

Birdy

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Sep 1 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

Oh man, time to spend more creditcard money.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 1 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Birdy)

Soon™! ;)

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Sep 1 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #7

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

*drool*

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Sep 1 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 1 2005, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Sep 2 2005, 01:11 AM)

Soon™! ;)

Can we get a Howitzer-Smilie as a method of showing our displeasure. Or maybe a torturer smilie :D

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Sep 1 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #9

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

Well it is easier for me to read a module in PDF than a rule book, so I bought it!

Look for a run to start in welcome!

Edit:

Maybe not, I thought it was an adventure.... its a sourcebook?

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Sep 1 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #10

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

It was supposed to be both. Once apon a time, there was going to be a seperate mission book and data book, but that was all compressed down to one book.

+Quote Post
Bandwidthoracle
post Sep 1 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,672

Is System failure a SR3 book or an SR4 book?

+Quote Post
Aku
post Sep 1 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #12

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

it's...both i think, kinda. Its the ending to the SR2 world, leading into and through the events of the crash of matrix 1.0.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Sep 1 2005, 06:23 PM
Post #13

I am about a 3rd of the way through it and there are no rules. But they do mention several times that it is a SR3 sb.

So far it's pretty scattered and hard to follow. Some interesting short stories. It's nice to see MLB is back. All the hackneyed future sports that people kept coming up with where pretty lame.

+Quote Post
Fox1
post Sep 1 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,660

QUOTE (Lindt)
It was supposed to be both. Once apon a time, there was going to be a seperate mission book and data book, but that was all compressed down to one book.

So is it going to be basically a sourcebook with ideas for adventures but no real detail, sort of like the Shutdown book?

Pity. I'll still get it however.

I love the SR adventures. But they don't seem to be making many of them anymore.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Sep 1 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 185

System Failure is a mix of event sourcebook (similar to YotC) and track campaign book (sort of like MobWar and Blood in the Boardroom).

Summary of the Introduction:
Forewarnings - Shadowland posts and fiction pieces setting the scene for System Failure and grounding later material. This is followed by relevant game information.

Critical Error - Shadowland posts and fiction pieces giving a real-time patchwork picture of the chaos surrounding the Crash as it unfolds on November 1-2 2064. This is followed by a general and a detailed timeline of events covering the buildup and starting in 2063 - this is probably where Shadow's at. It is intentionally confusing - much becomes clear when you read the following sections though.

Novatech Goes Public - The "What's really going on" section begins with the first campaign/adventure track, which describes the build up and intrigue surrounding the Novatech IPO. This contains all the relevant behind the scenes information of what's going on providing for numerous potential hooks and also features 2 easily adaptable "adventure frameworks" (MobWar-style for those familiar with the track campaign format) and numerous adventure seeds.

Singularity - The second campaign adventure track describes Deus' and his opponents plans and how these relate to ongoing tracks such as the IPO. As the preceding chapter Singularity includes all the relevant background material and 3 "adventure frameworks" and numerous adventure seeds.

Fall of Night - The final campaign/adventure track describes the unlikely alliance between Winternight and Ex Pacis, their ultimate goals and their respective master plans. Events in all three tracks are closely related and interact. Like the previous two tracks this one too includes 3 full adventure frameworks and several adventures seeds.

Crash 2.0 - Fiction and Game Info describing the ace up Winternight's sleave - Operation Mjolnir and its effects on the Sixth World.

Is Anybody Out There?- Fiction and shadowland posts detailing the disastrous immediate aftermath of System Failure and its effects on everyone from lowly guttertrash runners to megacorporate CEOs.

Last Man Standing
and Down the Rabbit Hole - Fiction pieces containing surprises which I'm not going to spoil here, followed by relevant Game Information.

Aftershocks - Describes the subsequent fallout of System Failure combining fiction and shadowland posts. It is divided into themed subsections (with material covering Corporate Fallout, the UCAS coup, the Tsimshian debacle, the fate of Ibn Eisa and the Polish Civil War) followed by relevant Game Information.

Matrix 2.0 - Follows the first steps in reconstructing the global Matrix and some of the most unexpected fallout of System Failure (and is littered with interesting hints). It also leads into the tech advances in SR4.

Epilogue - Fiction piece wraps events.

Besides adventure ideas most of the Game Information sections include suggestions on how to incorporate events directly and indirectly into your campaign. Even if your team isn't involved in any of the myriad adventure possibilities these events offer there's no way they should get through the Winter of 64 unscathed.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Sep 1 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

Thanks for the summary. :)

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Sep 1 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #17

I just finished skimming it and I have to say I think I got my moneys worth. $18US for 130 pages of fiction. A lot of it very good, some very interesting stories and reveals. There are even several adventure outlines that span a few days of the events.

Poor poor Dankwalther :eek:

It doesn't span the time till 2070, just till the middle of 2066. A lot of it is from NT's perspective which is cool cause they are my fav Mega (I was a little worried in the beginning). It has a MASSIVE conspiracy which has spanned 10 or so books come to a close, not without igniting new ones though.

Unfortunately I don't see how much of this is going to be relevant in 2070? I mean I don't have links in my games back to Bug City or anything like that. Playing retro games during the crash could be cool, but everyone knows how they pan out.

There are some familiar faces in the shadow community in there (AH, Clock, and Synner to name a few) and overall I really like the book. A little bummed that I am not in it :D

The PDF itself is well done (kudos Adam) and is easily searchable, quotable etc. Skimming it was easier than if I had the book with me and it prints out real clean. Again, overall I am very happy with the book. Now if I could just get my hardcopy of the SR4 rules (hopefully after they fix the horrendous editing problem spotted int eh LE and PDF) I could start looking at it.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Sep 1 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

Glad you liked the book.

Poor poor Dankwalther  :eek:

Hey, if you want to play big, be prepared to lose big... though I think AH said it best in the book. ;)

Unfortunately I don't see how much of this is going to be relevant in 2070? I mean I don't have links in my games back to Bug City or anything like that. Playing retro games during the crash could be cool, but everyone knows how they pan out.

Many corps (like Shiawase, Aztech or Genesis) benefit or suffer from the events, even if they aren't the main players in the story. That's just off the top of my head.

Don't forget Colloton, by the way. Don't you love when a plan succeeds? :evil:

There are some familiar faces in the shadow community in there (AH, Clock, and Synner to name a few) and overall I really like the book. A little bummed that I am not in it  :D

Hey, give some camera time to others! You were on SotA64. :P

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Sep 1 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #19

I was! :eek:

I didn't know, gotta go check it out now!

+Quote Post
SL James
post Sep 1 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #20

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (JongWK)
Don't forget Colloton, by the way. Don't you love when a plan succeeds? :evil:

Indeed.

+Quote Post
Trax
post Sep 1 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

Guess i'll have to post more often before I get into an SR book. :P

+Quote Post
Halabis
post Sep 2 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,773

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Sep 3 2005, 06:11 AM
Post #23

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

so..... when do we start the contest for who's screen names gets to be injected into the shadowtalk? After all, there's plenty of one-time posters out there. ;)

Maybe you should set it up on a 'per donation basis *wink wink*'. Just a thought :)

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Sep 3 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (Synner)
For those who haven't yet caught the news (or the thread in the SR4 subforum): the System Failure pdf is now available through DriveThruRPG. Welcome to the end of the world.

so is this where the Anti-deluvians rise up from their sleep and try to destroy their childer?

I've got my .357 S&W and a case of Sam Adams. Lets get the party started.

Thanks for the heads up Synner.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Sep 3 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Sep 3 2005, 01:11 AM)
so..... when do we start the contest for who's screen names gets to be injected into the shadowtalk? After all, there's plenty of one-time posters out there. ;)

Maybe you should set it up on a 'per donation basis *wink wink*'. Just a thought :)

I take it as a great compliment that Synner included me a couple of times in earlier SB. sigh, but my name isn't really useful for inserts. I mean "Snow Fox" in India? It just doesn't sound right.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:38 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.