IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possible "Shiawase Decision" type incident..., In the aftermath of Katrina...
TheOneRonin
post Sep 1 2005, 04:15 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,729

Guys and girls, I just got word that a transport truck hauling medical supplies to a hospital in Gretna, LA (very near New Orleans) was stopped and hijacked at gunpoint by looters.

Things are starting to get bad down here too. Several of the state offices downtown are being closed due to carjacking and violence and all sorts of other mess. I will keep everyone informed as things develop.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aku
post Sep 1 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #2

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

I'm honestly amazed that it wasnt given some sort of armed guard in the first place, but my best wishes go out to those affected

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 1 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

oh crap, here we go...

+Quote Post
Chance359
post Sep 1 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 313

I heard reports yesterday that looters had attacked a hospital and the police were unable to get there. Also, a rep for one of the insurance companies said on NPR to shoot looters. Fun

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 1 2005, 05:27 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Insurance Wars!

~J

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Sep 1 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Just so people don't think I'm rumor-trolling, I work for Innovative Emergency Management, and we have contracts with FEMA, the ODP, and DHS. My company holds the contract for the New Orleans Hurrican Evacuation planning, and we also have teams down there now helping with the emergency planning and coordination.

If anyone wants more details, you can e-mail me at chris.louviere@ieminc.com.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Sep 1 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,741

I'd say I'm surprised, but a friend I talk to on regular basis lives down there. I've been getting reports of similar events ever since the rescue efforts moved in. One of them includes a police officer shot because he didn't get to a guy fast enough to rescue him.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Sep 1 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #8

Running Target

More of the same:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/katr...pact/index.html

+Quote Post
SL James
post Sep 1 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #9

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
Guys and girls, I just got word that a transport truck hauling medical supplies to a hospital in Gretna, LA (very near New Orleans) was stopped and hijacked at gunpoint by looters.

Seretech equivalent, not Shiawase (I or II, yet).

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 1 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #10

panda!

hmm, true. there was the attack on the nuke plant thats the shiawase...

+Quote Post
jhsiao
post Sep 1 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 4,523

This thread reminds me so much of the shadowtalk in Bug City...

Edit: Even down to using the domes as havens. There's even a competing faction in the convention center--fighting for evac and food/supplies.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Sep 2 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

Our group is in Bug City right now.

We knocked over a restaurant earlier (turned out to be a good call, it was uncontested since all the other citizens were going for obvious things, like Stuffer Shacks - even if the fact it was a soy steakhouse franchise led to a certain lack of variety of the spoils) and we ended last session in the middle of a fight with some people who got to the local Home Despot before we did, in order to get our hands on generators, water purifiers, insecticide, power tools, building materials, etc.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Sep 2 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #13

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Home Despot?

Either a funny typo, or the best management decision ever. :)

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Sep 2 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,741

Escuse me while I steal that, all ninja-like.

Seriously, this looting going on... not good.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Sep 2 2005, 01:08 AM
Post #15

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Insurance Wars!

Well they are saying that the insurance industry is going to take a real beating from Katrina... Maybe having the industry go through this and become that much more competitive is just the nudge they need to start down the tright path. :D

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Home Despot? Either a funny typo, or the best management decision ever. :)

It was a parody site from a while back that unfortunately seems to have disapeared. The the Home Depot site but with products for military dictators and mad scientist types. :)

+Quote Post
Toshiaki
post Sep 2 2005, 01:33 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,063

Home Despot courtesy of the Way Back Machine.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Sep 2 2005, 01:48 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Home Despot?

Either a funny typo, or the best management decision ever. :)

No, not a typo. :)

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Sep 2 2005, 02:45 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

Cross your fingers that the Wayback Machine doesn't find itself hobbled by the current copyright suits. (Too many attorneys have found some otherwise gone-forever evidence there.)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 2 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #19

panda!

QUOTE (Toshiaki @ Sep 2 2005, 03:33 AM)
Home Despot courtesy of the Way Back Machine.

nice one :rotfl:

that CIA commersial up in the corner realy does the trick :P

and talia's comment about copyright suits sadly makes a good point.

but to me its like going after a library that keep track of old newspapers or similar.

thats realy the problem of the law and the net today. they keep reacting like its something totaly new while in fact most of the actions take online have physical paralells that are fully ok.

only real diff is that you cant be 100% sure that when you delete something of the net its gone forever :spin: man i love the digital age :silly:

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 2 2005, 12:48 PM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Well they are saying that the insurance industry is going to take a real beating from Katrina... Maybe having the industry go through this and become that much more competitive is just the nudge they need to start down the tright path. :D

Unfortunately such is not the way of insurance firms. Due to the large capital barrier to start-up they operate at near a monopoly, and because our society generates a huge demand though many ways including government mandated ones the demand for their product is relatively price inflexible. So they tend to go with increasing premiums across the board (even in entirely unrelated policies) rather than focusing on increasing efficency, and even their attempts at increasing efficency look a lot more like actions designed to disuade, minimize, or thwart claims.

Expect New Orleans to be given as a reason for a double digit bump in things like your car insurance and home insurance rates, even outside of the US.

P.S. Yesterday our gasoline in Calgary, Alberta jumped over 15 cent/L (nearly 50 US cent/US gallon). :eek: Apparently much worse elsewhere in the country and at least parts of the US.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Sep 2 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (blakkie)
P.S. Yesterday our gasoline in Calgary, Alberta jumped over 15 cent/L (nearly 50 US cent/US gallon). :eek: Apparently much worse elsewhere in the country and at least parts of the US.

Yeah, we saw a $0.30 US jump in one day, it is now hovering around $3 US per gallon.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 2 2005, 01:17 PM
Post #22

panda!

hmm, that would make the us fuel more expensive then whats sold here in norway. and i dont know when it was like that before...

+Quote Post
jhsiao
post Sep 2 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 4,523

QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Sep 1 2005, 07:08 PM)

Unfortunately such is not the way of insurance firms. Due to the large capital barrier to start-up they operate at near a monopoly, and because our society generates a huge demand though many ways including government mandated ones the demand for their product is relatively price inflexible. So they tend to go with increasing premiums across the board (even in entirely unrelated policies) rather than focusing on increasing efficency, and even their attempts at increasing efficency look a lot more like actions designed to disuade, minimize, or thwart claims.

Expect New Orleans to be given as a reason for a double digit bump in things like your car insurance and home insurance rates, even outside of the US.

It may very well signal the death of the homeowners insurance market in Louisiana.

In Florida after hurricane Andrew, alot of insurance companies cut their losses by going bankrupt (11 companies) or simply stopped writing policies (nearly all of them). When natural disasters occur, the state subsidiary may need to tap the national "bank". So while the national company is claiming record profits (to stockholders), the state branch is asking state legislatures for insurance relief.
Link for article.

Still, even with Florida being a growing state (ranked 7th in pop growth from 1990-2000 at 23%), private insurance companies have not been writing enough policies to cover everyone.

Florida actually ended up creating 2 state-owned underwriting associations after Andrew (now merged into "Citizens Insurance" in 2002) specifically to write policies for homeowners who couldn't find policies from private insurers. It was supposed to be temporary, but Citizens is still going 13 years after Andrew--it actually hit 1 million policies in 1996.

So with not enough insurance policies written in a state ranked 7th in growth, what do you think is going to happen with Louisiana which is ranked 40th in pop growth in the 90s at 6%?

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Sep 2 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

Yeah, and the Insurance guys will be working overtime to get out of as many claims as possible. "You have Flood insurance, but not <I>Hurricane</i> coverage. Sorry, your house/business was destroyed by the hurricane, not the flood". Or vice versa.

Those insurance companies have boat loads of guys just standing around whose job it is to get out of paying on a claim. And in this particular situation, they will drag their feet, and get out of as many claims as possible.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 2 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 2 2005, 07:48 AM)
P.S. Yesterday our gasoline in Calgary, Alberta jumped over 15 cent/L (nearly 50 US cent/US gallon).  :eek: Apparently much worse elsewhere in the country and at least parts of the US.

Yeah, we saw a $0.30 US jump in one day, it is now hovering around $3 US per gallon.

I heard someone in Indiana say yesterday it hit $3.20 there. Incidentally about $3/gallon is what we were paying here before in Alberta, which is nearly always the lowest in the country. We have somewhat more "agressive" fuel taxing.

hmm, that would make the us fuel more expensive then whats sold here in norway. and i dont know when it was like that before...

That was coming eventually anyway. Norway has steadily been climbing in crude production from offshore, and with the huge royalties the government collects from exported eventually that comes back as lower local taxes overall including fuel taxes. We see the same thing in Alberta where a Constitutional quirk gives the Province authority over oil&gas. The Provincial Government has zero longterm debt, about 10 billion CAN in a trust fund (total population less than 3 million), and is expected to have a budget surplus of 6-8 billion CAN for this year. It has resulted in the lowest overal fuel taxes in the country, lowest personal income, and business taxes. So low that even with the Canadian federal income tax included it rivals even the lowest of the US states.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:05 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.