> Converting Adepts, Converting powers not yet listed in SR4
Ravennus
post Sep 4 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,672

Hoi, Chummers! :cyber:

I just thought I would start a discussion on how best to convert the various adept powers that have yet to make an appearance in SR4.

Personally, I think it would be great if we could just get a straight list from Fanpro with all the powers that didn't make it into the SR4 main book from SR3. On that list, they could just put whether the old adept power still applies in SR4 and its new PP cost. Also, most of the mechanics should be easy enough to convert. Heck, there are a number of powers that don't really have crunchy 'mechanics' per say, but just add an ability or flavour (like the one that let's you walk silently without leaving and tracks, even on rice paper or snow).

Then again, maybe that's a pipe dream...at least, until they actually come out with the official conversion rules.

So, why don't we make a list of our favourite missing adept powers and see how easily (or not) they would fit into SR4?

I'll begin with a couple...

Delay Damage (1 or 2 pp in SR3)
This one shouldn't be too hard. It's mostly a flavour, and allows you to delay the dmg of a successful unarmed attack. I think there were some minor mechanics for how long you could delay it, but unfortunately I don't have my copy of MitS here atm. Those should stay the same easily enough. Also, the only difference between the first and second level are whether it's perceived as a normal unarmed attack (that doesn't appear to do dmg right away) or whether the attack can be delivered with just a simple touch. The only question is that in context of SR4, is this power worth the same cost, or more/less?
My Opinion: I think this is one power that would convert pretty much exactly the same to SR4. The ability is still relevant, and the mechanics are simple. I even think the cost is still fair. Other than that, I'm wondering how you would resist Delay Dmg 2? I assume the attack wouldn't be opposed if it wasn't percieved as such (like shaking hands). Only body and possibly armor could be used to resist the damage...though you could always use a called shot to touch an exposed portion of skin. Heck, you wouldn't even need to do a called shot if someone offered their bare hand to shake.

Distance Strike (2 pp in SR3)
Again, this one is pretty simple. It lets you project your unarmed attack as far as your magic in meters, otherwise it works just like a normal attack. In fact, this power becomes even more interesting because of the Magic attribute in SR4 being bought up like any other atty.
My Opinion: Just like Delay Dmg, Distance Strike is pretty straightforward. My only possible change would be to lower the cost some, just because every adept isn't guaranteed a 6 magic out of chargen, and a lower magic rating limits the usefulness of the power. Perhaps 1.5 pp? Still, 2pp isn't that unfair.

Those are just two. I'm sure all you fine folks can think of more! :D

-Ravennus

P.S.- Hmmmm. Combining Delay Damage 2 and Distance Strike....ouch, now that would be nasty.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brazila
post Sep 4 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,278

Need to update wall running, IMO the coolest physad power ever. Great...no, but uber ninja like...totally!

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 5 2005, 01:16 AM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I'd be extremely happy if Distance Strike never saw the light of day as a Power in SR4!

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Sep 5 2005, 01:18 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

QUOTE (Fortune)
I'd be extremely happy if Distance Strike never saw the light of day as a Power in SR4!

Too bad no one wants you to be happy...

I bet the power gets a boost.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 5 2005, 02:00 AM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Supercilious)
Too bad no one wants you to be happy...

Story of my life. :P

+Quote Post
Superbum
post Sep 5 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,097

QUOTE (Fortune)
Story of my life. :P

I feel you there, chummer.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 5 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Traceless Step - +4 bonus dice on Infiltration.

Wheeeeee...

-Siege

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 10 2005, 09:32 AM
Post #8

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Brazila)
Need to update wall running, IMO the coolest physad power ever.  Great...no, but uber ninja like...totally!

I echo that. Just like Trinity baby except with the katana out ready to slice & dice.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.