IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> License price?, What would a P.I license cost?
The Jopp
post Sep 23 2003, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 948

What would a Private Investigator and Bounty Hunter license cost? A character with a SIN should only have to fill in a few papers and pay a small license fee, but what would be a reasonable price? Since gun permits seems to be quite cheap shouldn't such things also be quite cheap?

I couldn’t find any information in the BBB, any suggestions?

What official and/or legal permissions does a Private Investigator and a Bounty Hunter have? What are they allowed to do within the UCAS?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Sep 23 2003, 12:56 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

If I remember right, a real-life PI license requires that you have something like 7 years of investigative experience. This usually means working under a PI or being a cop.

I think it varies from state to state but I doubt that there are any states that just give it to you for a fee. At the very least, they'll make you take a test.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Sep 23 2003, 01:02 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

Here's a link to the State of Oklahoma's requirements, consult your local state for variations and adjust to fit your game!

http://www.cleet.state.ok.us/Private_Security.htm

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 23 2003, 02:15 PM
Post #4

Runner

Thanks for the link, according to the application there are two costs depending on what type of investigator one wants to be.

Unarmed P.I: 5000,00 USD
Armed P.I: 10000,00 USD

In Shadowrun that would be split by 10 so a license for an unarmed PI would be 500¥ or 1000¥ for an armed PI. Gun permit would have to be purchased as normal.

The same price should apply to bounty hunters as well.

Since the character has been a CSI investigator for 8-12 years before retiring to become a PI I'd say that he has the experience for it.

Now,I think we need to remove ONE thing from that application. What would be defined as Moral Turpitude in 2057-2060? :P

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Sep 23 2003, 03:34 PM
Post #5

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

Well here's the Washington State Department of Licensing page on their private investigators licensing program that I found. Just hit Requirements and Fees and it should tell you what you need to know about that. And here's their one for the Bail Bond Licensing Program.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Sep 23 2003, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

In Shadowrun that would be split by 10
why?

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 23 2003, 06:41 PM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (BitBasher)
In Shadowrun that would be split by 10
why?

Since the US dollar of today dont have the same value as the one in SR 2060. I believe that it shouldn't cost two months of middle lifestyle just to get a completely legal permit for a SIN owning citizen.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Sep 23 2003, 06:57 PM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (The Jopp)
I believe that it shouldn't cost two months of middle lifestyle just to get a completely legal permit for a SIN owning citizen.

Err... 10 grand in today's money is significantly more than two months lifestyle for most people. Why would it be drasticly cheaper in the future?

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 23 2003, 08:51 PM
Post #9

Runner

...And you can get a nice car for 20.000,00Y. Are you telling me that a license too snoop around while carrying a sidearm should cost as much as half a car? I dunno, sounds a bit extreme.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Sep 23 2003, 09:28 PM
Post #10

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

If you follow the links provided earlier in the thread, the prices ARE extreme.

+Quote Post
phelious fogg
post Sep 23 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,408

Ford America 20k nuyen, half that 10knuyen.. its on par with current prices if you go by the cost of a car

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Sep 23 2003, 11:10 PM
Post #12

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (The Jopp)
Since the US dollar of today dont have the same value as the one in SR 2060. I believe that it shouldn't cost two months of middle lifestyle just to get a completely legal permit for a SIN owning citizen.

The general rule has been that modern day US dollar prices convert straight over to nuyen on a 1:1 scale for things that costs aren't mentioned in any of the books. But yes the dollar is worth less than the nuyen, around 4:1 in the nuyens favour according to SoNA IIRC.

+Quote Post
Phasma Felis
post Sep 25 2003, 03:22 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 1,985

Thanks for the link, according to the application there are two costs depending on what type of investigator one wants to be.

Unarmed P.I: 5000,00 USD
Armed P.I: 10000,00 USD

Looking at the document, I think those values are how much the P.I. is insured for. The unarmed/armed P.I. license fees are $60 and $110, respectively.

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Sep 25 2003, 12:44 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

According to the Washington state link provided, the application fee for an armed investigator is $100, and unarmed is $150. Renewal for both is $150.

If you're starting your own agency, then the application fee is $650 if the principal (that's you) is armed, and $550 if unarmed. The agency renewal fee is $450.

+Quote Post
Phylos Fett
post Sep 26 2003, 07:27 AM
Post #15

Not a Moderator

Member No.: 904

I'd say, just add up the prices of all the permits the character needs, and throw in the price of a fake SIN...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:38 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.