Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Technomancer Sticker Shock, Or "Yikes, where did all my BP's go?"
Feshy
post Sep 5 2005, 09:33 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

One of the first things I noticed after skimming through the SR4 PDF where how cool technomancers sounded. So, I decided to make up a technomancer PC to see it in numbers. I glanced at the sample characters, and I noticed a distinct power difference in the Hacker and the Technomancer. The technomancer's skills and complex forms are not up to the same standards as the hacker, it seems. I wondered why, but after making one, I have some answers. Technomancers are Build Point eating machines. Let's break it down (or, skip to the conclusion if you've got a short attention span; I do tend to ramble on):

Attributes

For the Hacker:
There are three attributes that are used in decking (as it used to be called), they are Intuition, Logic, and Willpower. Intuition is used solely for your initiative. While important, if you need a few BP, you can skimp here a bit (so long as you have a good response chip). Logic is used for three tests that I've found: copying passkeys, hardware ID spoofing (you can also spoof ID in software and avoid this test), and copy protection cracking. It seems to me that none of these tests are particularly important to a hacker; thus logic doesn't need to be a high priority. Lastly, you have willpower, which is used to resist black IC and to jack out if hit by black IC. Unless you plan to often fight black IC, you don't need herculean willpower. Don't skimp too much, though, or your hoop is gonna get fried someday. Let's figure you can probably get by with 3's or 4's for these three stats, though of course it is a matter of personal preference. That's 60 BP to 90 BP (higher if you want a charismatic decker?).

For the Technomancer:
In addition to the above tests, your mental attributes also comprise your living persona. If you are playing in a reasonably powered game, I'm guessing (from the archetypes) that you'll want numbers somewhere around five for your persona stats. In addition, you'll also need charisma as a biofeedback filter. So for stats, you'll probably wind up with something along the lines of fives for the first three attributes, and four for charisma. That's around 150 BP, leaving you with few points for other attributes. Hope you're an orc, or you'll probably be quite hurt when the lead starts to fly.

Resonance

Hacker's don't get it; 0BP.

Technomancers will need 5 to take advantage of the attributes we took earlier. That's 45 BP (counting the 5 to be a technomancer)

Skills

Hackers can take advantage of good group skill deals on Electronics skill group and the Cracking skill group to get all the skills they will need. Or, if you prefer (and have the points, you can break them up as desired. We won't list the BP for these skills, because it will be the same for technomancers.

Technomancers will need all those skills, plus the Tasking group. Pick that up at the skill group max of 4, for 40 BP. Sprites are good.

Comlink

Hackers will need a commlink. A cyber comlink is surprisingly cheap, and most likely the way to go for a hacker (I miss the term "decker" already -- but at least it's not changed to "commer"). What do we do for stats? Well.. prices are cheap, and most ratings are available. So let's go as high as we can. Cyber Comlink is 2,000 yen base. Grabbing the Matrix Program Upgrade costs, it's rating x 500 for system and firewall (p 321), which is 6,000 yen for both at 6. Hardware is only available up to 5 at chargen. It's 4,000 yen and 1,000 yen for Response 5 and Signal 5, respectively. Toss in 5,000 yen for a hot-modified SIM module. That's a total of 18,000 yen, which comes to 4 BP with 2k to spare.

Technomancers don't need a comlink, 0BP for them.

Programs (or Complex Forms)

Since our hacker has a comlink with a System of 6, and all programs except agents are available at 6 at chargen, let's just buy all the programs. At rating 6. Doesn't leave us much room for character advancement, of course, but this is just an exercise. Common programs are rating x 100 at rating 6. Hacking programs are 10 times that. Agents are only available up to rating 4 at chargen, and are rating x 2,500. As far as I can count, there are 7 common use programs, and 15 hacking programs. Remember not to run all those at once though, or your response will lag! That's a total of 94,200 yen, or 21 BP (with another 800 to spare).

Our technomancer can have only up to 10 Complex Forms at character generation, based on our logic attribute of 5. We are limited to rating 5 for complex forms as well. So, pick your favorite 10 programs out of the list of 22, at rating 5. That's 50 BP. You'll have to thread the rest as needed I guess.

Adding it all up

The hacker BP total for all of the above: 85 to 115 BP.

The Technomancer BP total for all of the above: 285 BP!!!

Conclusions
Let's look at what we get for those costs. The hacker has all programs, and most things at six instead of five. That's a one-die advantage. The technomancer has a small attribute advantage, and only half the programs. Yet the technomancer costs almost 200 more BP. You could bring the Hacker's attributes up to equal the Technomancer's (though it won't help your hacker much), and there would still be 110 BP difference, with all the advantages going to the (cheaper) hacker.

Certainly, technomancers have some advantages -- unlimited progression on resonance, if you have piles and piles of karma to throw at it. Threading can't be seen as an advantage though, as a hacker can afford ALL the programs for substantially less BP than the technomancer could, even if it where allowed. Sprites, of course, rock. But... are they worth 200 BP, and less programs?

Of course, not being a min/max'er, I'll probably still try to play one. But the price difference is worth noting -- I don't want anyone else winding up with the sticker shock I did.

Oh, and Hoi, chummers. I'm new.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Sep 5 2005, 09:45 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

I've been running the numbers for SR4 Becks and the technomancer dosen't look good from that end either. The 35 BP points spent for complex forms turns into 93 karma which is a prettly hefty chunk of points (the archtypes run around 450 karma on average).

They'll probably need 'free' points for forms, based on resonance (or maybe logic?)

+Quote Post
L.D
post Sep 5 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #3

Harlequin

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 861

Hell, that's nothing new. They got screwed in SR3 as well.

In SR3 you can get a decker with 5D6 in initiative, but maximum for an otaku is 4D6...

+Quote Post
SL James
post Sep 5 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #4

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

That makes perfect sense.

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Sep 5 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

In my opinion it's good to have technomancers at a slight disadvantage compared to hackers. Otherwise there would be no hackers anymore, because everybody wants to play a cool new technomancer. Of course I have to admit, that I always hated Otaku.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 5 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #6

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

But in SR3, the MPCP for a standard 120BP otaku can hit 9 easy while a 120 decker max is 7 at standard avail. It would seem the technomancers are screwed at chargen from the info I see on the forums.

+Quote Post
prionic6
post Sep 5 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 6,429

QUOTE (Feshy)
Comlink

Grabbing the Matrix Program Upgrade costs, it's rating x 500 for system and firewall (p 321), which is 6,000 yen for both at 6. Hardware is only available up to 5 at chargen. It's 4,000 yen and 1,000 yen for Response 5 and Signal 5, respectively.

If you have response at 5, your system 6 OS will be limited to rating 5, too. As are all your programs (because they are limited to system).

+Quote Post
prionic6
post Sep 5 2005, 10:42 AM
Post #8

Target

Also, a technomancer can use threading to make up complex forms they don't have or to bump up their ratings. This causes fading, though. But it means they can start with far less complex forms.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Sep 5 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 185

And then there are sprites...

+Quote Post
prionic6
post Sep 5 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #10

Target

Sprites were mentioned in the first post :)

+Quote Post
Bull
post Sep 5 2005, 12:33 PM
Post #11

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Technomancers vs Hackers is the same discussion as Adepts vs Sammies, I think.

Basically, the Adept/Technomancer will start off weaker, but has the potential for further advancement than their technological counterparts. The Sammy/Hacker starts off cheaper or more powerful (or both), but will eventually run into a cap on their ability to upgrade due to essence limits and the like.

Bull

+Quote Post
Synner
post Sep 5 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (prionic6)
Sprites were mentioned in the first post :)

True, but the poster hasn't addressed the cost (or lack there of) and the immense potential applications. Also note that while technomancers are more common than Otaku they are still a small minority of the population and most are still coming to terms with their abilities. Increased costs at chargen as opposed to later development potential also reflect this.

+Quote Post
prionic6
post Sep 5 2005, 12:52 PM
Post #13

Target

QUOTE (Feshy)
Sprites, of course, rock. But... are they worth 200 BP, and less programs?

This is what he said. I agree with you, though. Technomancers are ok.

+Quote Post
prionic6
post Sep 5 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (prionic6 @ Sep 5 2005, 12:42 PM)
Also, a technomancer can use threading to make up complex forms they don't have or to bump up their ratings. This causes fading, though. But it means they can start with far less complex forms.

And not all programs have equivalent complex forms. And some that have are not very useful. So 10 complex forms for the most common actions is enough.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Sep 5 2005, 02:14 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)

QUOTE (prionic6)
QUOTE (Feshy @ Sep 5 2005, 11:33 AM)
Comlink

Grabbing the Matrix Program Upgrade costs, it's rating x 500 for system and firewall (p 321), which is 6,000 yen for both at 6.  Hardware is only available up to 5 at chargen.  It's 4,000 yen and 1,000 yen for Response 5 and Signal 5, respectively.

If you have response at 5, your system 6 OS will be limited to rating 5, too. As are all your programs (because they are limited to system).

Ah! Absolutely right. I just found that rule (p213). I was hoping there was something like it, but I missed it in my first read. I had thought it odd there where no hardware limits on system. Well, that's good then. At least there isn't a major difference in the starting abilities -- only in the massive build cost incured by technomancers.

In fact, that means that with even higher point expendature, Technomancers could start off with 6's, whereas Hackers can not.

One question though -- does the lowering of response by too many programs also lower system? I can't imagine it would, as that could be a self-perpetuating degredation. Run 10 programs on a 5/5 response/system, this drops response to 3, which would limit system to 3, which is still running 10 programs (a -3) which drops response to 2, which then drops system to 2, which means 10 programs is now a -5, and.... crash. So, I have to guess that to avoid such things, this is not the case. Would be nice if it was spelled out for me somewhere though ;)

QUOTE (synner)
Also note that while technomancers are more common than Otaku they are still a small minority of the population and most are still coming to terms with their abilities. Increased costs at chargen as opposed to later development potential also reflect this.

I agree, I think it's probably balancing. I expected technomancers to be somewhat weaker (or rather, more expensive and thus less diverse?) than hackers for that reason as well -- I was simply surprised at just how much that difference was.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Sep 5 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (prionic6)

As a means to fill in programs you don't start with, threading is vital. As I showed above, hackers can, with a relatively small BP investment, start play with all programs. As technomancers can not, without threading they'd be in trouble as soon as they ran up against something they didn't have a program (complex form) for.

I don't know how useful threading will be as a buff, as it hits you with both draining and sustaining in most cases. As an example, let's assume you roll 4 hits when threading yourself a boost to some program. As a result, let's say you take enough "fading" drain to get a -1 damage modifier. You also suffer a -2 modifier for sustaining the thread. You've just given yourself an overall +1 to a given program, with a -3 to everything else. In most situations, that's not a very helpful benefit.

Of course, alternately you could roll better on drain, and hand the sustaining off to a registered sprite, and get +4 to some given operation, which would be quite a boost. But the first case seems more likely to me -- unless your GM gives you plenty of time to sit around registering sprites. Still, in those "do or die" situations, it could be a lifesaver I suppose.

In a litteral interpretation of that last statement, is it possible to use threading as a boost to your "biofeedback filter"? The rules are clear that you can't learn that form "seperately" -- but this wouldn't be learning it as a form, just boosting it as one. And the description does describe Biofeedback as a complex form (in the "Complex Form Ratings" section).

Still, not having had a chance to play yet, this is speculation on my part. Anyone tried out threading in practice?

+Quote Post
prionic6
post Sep 5 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #17

Target

There is more to it: it is perfectly possible (but expensive) to start with a 7 in response or system OR an 8 in firewall OR even an 9 in bio-feedback-filter. It seems system is not limited to response and complex forms are not limited to system. At least I didn't find it... edit: see below

You can start with a technomancer that could be veeery good at some specific tasks. He won't be able to do much else but that's what otaku always were.

edit: ah sorry. Every attribute of the living persona is limited to resonance.

+Quote Post
Gorath
post Sep 5 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,292

Hi everyone,

if 6 is the maximum for System/Response and programms used it seems that most hackers are finished and maximized very soon. You need 110 karma to improve both skill groups to 6. And to improve the software/hardware you can use time/money earned during this time.

Gorath

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 04:33 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.