> Making the Most of It, Astral Sensitive Film
Ancient History
post Sep 5 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,935

Vision Quest
A portfolio by noted parartist Yngvi Bellingham, Vision Quest is a collection of landscape photographs taken using astral sensitive film. Bellingham travelled the world for this collection.
QUOTE ("Introduction by Yngvi")

To create proper art using astral sensitive film is challenging; the techniques involved require a much longer period of exposure, and so capturing short-lived astral phenomona is almost impossible. Landscapes are the ideal medium, at least for beginning works, because it is very seldom that the land changes significantly over such periods.

The sixteen plates of the hardbound collection are as follows:
1. A manaline running through the forests of the Salish-Shidhe
2. A stone henge at high noon on a summer day
3. A mass grave in the Yucatan
4. The Veil of Tír na nÓg, across the Irish Sea
5. The Great Wall of China, an aerial view
6. The Cermak Blast Crater, from above
7. The background count at a small Catholic shrine in Sicily
8. A patch of Mist in Brittany
9. An erupting volcano in the Phillipines
10. An astral eruption in Auvergne
11. A stark Antarctica landscape, the aurora austrailis barely visible
12. A vein of orichalcum in an Azanian diamond mine
13. A dragon line running along a street in Hong Kong
14. A full Earth rising, seen from orbit
15. An astral starscape, with a waxing moon in the center
16. The Amazonian Rainforest
(17.) Yngvi Bellingham included his own astral portrait as a final "bonus" leaf, it required him to sit completely still for over six hours as the photograph developed.

The Astral Slideshow Project
A bold initiative supported by enthusiasts worldwide, the ASP is a volunteer project dedicated to accumulating the definitive library of astral photographs. Users are rated by the quality and quantity of their additions, while non-users may access the project's archives for 50 :nuyen: . "Collectors" have taken to printing out photographs in high-quality heavy-stock e-paper trading cards. These cards display holographic representations of the astral photographs, but by touching a corner the image is replaced with a standard entry describing the subject of the photograph. The collections are divided into categories such as spells, spirits and faeries; typical prices for a complete collection are 3,000 :nuyen:

Dr. Bob™'s Guide to Getting a Magical Healer Certificate: 2064 edition
Doctor Roberta Camerone is the author of this study supplement, designed to assist magicians in preparing for the tests prequisite to obtaining a certificate to practice magical healing in the UCAS. The 2064 edition includes astral photographs of common diseases, poisonings, injuries and other maladies, along with quick reference guide.

Goodensnake's Madness
Thomas Goodensnake was a half-blood Pueblo and an artist adept. He was often given to drug-induced vision quests as a medium for his diviniations, disapearing into the desert for days at a time to purge his system, down a few buds of peyote and beat on his hand-made drum.

On one of these quests, Goodensnake was bit by a rattlesnake. Some say the venom entered his soul, because Goodensnake came back mad with knowledge and sick with ambition. He created a portfolio that made sensitives scream to touch it, and powerful magicians pale and sicken to view its contents. Copies have been circulated among the jaded mundanes who enjoy the emotions it presents, although the work is banned in most countries.
[ Spoiler ]

Six of the twenty-four plates are described below:
(title)
(description)
(emotional aspect)
1. "Wuxing"
Five toxic spirits of the elements, one of each type, fighting one another.
(Transcendant Madness)

2. "Blood"
A masked Aztec priest gutting a young elf girl.
(Sadistic pleasure)

3. "Barrow"
A ghoul ork feasting on her unInfected twin's intestines.
(Hunger for Metahuman Flesh)

4. "Consumption"
A thin human child, on the verge of death by starvation, his aura wasting away. The child is astrally perceiving, and can see he is surrounded by shedim spirits.
(Physical sickness)

5. "Samedi"
A serviteuer possessed by a Petro Spirit; the Baron is posing for the photograph as it wears the sorry flesh like a new suit.
(Complete surrender of Self)

6. "Hive"
A pregnant troll woman being invested with a wasp spirit.
(Alientation from other metahumans)

File #666 - MCT Unit 13 Private Library
The infamous File #666 contains detailed descriptions of astral signatures, with astral photographs, for some of the world's most powerful and notorius magicians; both metahuman and otherwise. The file is said to include, although not be limited to, Wu Lung Wei, the Great Dragon Ghostwalker, an entity known as "Gestalt" observed in Aztlan, Ehran the Scribe and others...

Mitsuhama's Unit 13 maintains the file in a secret vault within their Kyoto library.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Sep 5 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #2

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Twisted. Just twisted. :)

+Quote Post
bclements
post Sep 5 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

Wu Lung Wei?

And yes, very twisted. Good job.

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Sep 5 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

Those are getting some game time...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 5 2005, 07:34 PM
Post #5

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, these may well belong just as much in deadlands: weird west as in shadowrun :D

just shows that with the right view on things you can get SR to support any game style :P

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 5 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #6

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

"Goodensnake's Madness: Barrow" will soon be changing location and owner.

Thank you!

+Quote Post
Lady Door
post Sep 7 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #7

Dumpshock Widow aka Mrs Fisty

Member No.: 6,929

I'm a little worried that my first thought after reading these is that my Petro Voudoun is going to have sooo much fun! *squeal*

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Sep 8 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

Umm... how did these get made? Technology can't detect magic.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Sep 8 2005, 06:29 AM
Post #9

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

And yet there's such a thing as FAB-III bacteria.

"Technology" is simply the art of taking what is available to you and manipulating it in the most advantageous way possible. This means that yes, technology can interact with magic, by employing such things as FAB-3.

+Quote Post
Conskill
post Sep 8 2005, 10:19 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,811

QUOTE (nick012000)
Umm... how did these get made?

Probably with the use of some Awakened biological medium that has been engineered to change color based on the presence and intensity of various astral energies.

I'd personally take the concept in a bit different direction than a direct photograph, but it's a neat idea and there's enough preliminary stuff in the setting already to make it a feasible leap.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 8 2005, 11:39 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Let Uncle Ancient give a lesson.

In State of the Art: 2064, in amid the spy gear, is given astral-sensitive film. It's based on the older silver dageurrotype film, and takes a great deal longer to set up and take the damn picture than your favorite disposable camera.

Now, add in that Adepts with the Virtuoso metamagic can create masterpieces, which are objects d'art with a background count, aspected toward a given emotion.

Photography as art form. Astral photography as magical masterpieces. Keen, eh?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 8 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Conskill @ Sep 8 2005, 04:19 AM)
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Sep 8 2005, 01:16 AM)
Umm... how did these get made?

Probably with the use of some Awakened biological medium that has been engineered to change color based on the presence and intensity of various astral energies.

Somebody read some dubious material about photographing ghosts or auras and figured "hey, wouldn't it be cool to say they've been taking pictures of the astral all along and didn't know it"?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 8 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #13

Dragon

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 5 2005, 11:34 AM)
14. A full Earth rising, seen from orbit

Very low orbit? Is this feasible? Wouldn't the mana warp completely obliverate any discernable view of the giasphere? So this would be like taking a picture in a brightly lit room, through a steamed up window, of a man 300m away outside in the dark?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 8 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

If you took it from, say, the Moon, it would be like pointing out the bright spot that miht be the sun in LA smog. But from low-earth orbit, geosynched? You can probably get a decent picture. Pick out the Great Wall of China, maybe.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Sep 8 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

From what I remember then mana starts running out at around 100 miles up, you can see plenty at ~500,000 feet.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 8 2005, 01:49 PM
Post #16

Dragon

QUOTE (Ancient History)
If you took it from, say, the Moon, it would be like pointing out the bright spot that miht be the sun in LA smog. But from low-earth orbit, geosynched? You can probably get a decent picture. Pick out the Great Wall of China, maybe.

The 100 mile high pictures, ya no problem there. Even a bit farther out in lesser warp territory i can see making out fuzzy images through the distortion.

But i still don't get why anything that is interacting or influenced by the astral in a serious mana warp isn't just getting the total work over. This isn't just a little irritant in space, it is brain frying time for anyone/anything stupid enough to try mess with it.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Sep 8 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

QUOTE (Ancient History)
You can probably get a decent picture. Pick out the Great Wall of China, maybe.

A.H. :

First, let me say that I don't mean to dispute you--after all, you're one of the most knowledgeable people here--but I seem to recall reading that the Great Wall of China is not visible from orbit.

The belief that it is is a common misconception, and one which might not apply 50-odd years from now--although I grant you that this might not be true with astrally-sensitive film.

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Sep 8 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

You can try taking a look for yourself, personally, I couldn't find it, though I only spent a few minutes looking...

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 8 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Oops. Damn you, public school! <shakes_fist>

Okay. So you probably can't see that big-ass man-made manaline from space. <shrug> Maybe you could pick out Tibet, though.

+Quote Post
Sunday_Gamer
post Sep 8 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,133

Cute. I personaly wouldn't use it. Astral space is already messed up enough, they keep contradicting themselves. According to the basic guidelines however, astral perception is a psychic phenomenon. I would never allow a camera to capture astral space, it goes against all the tenets of astral spaces nature, I don't care what SOTA says, guy who wrote it was talking out his ass for the sake of making "neat gear". No thanks.

Now if they were paintings, that would be different.

Overall though, neat idea.

Sunday

+Quote Post
Conskill
post Sep 8 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,811

QUOTE (Sunday_Gamer @ Sep 8 2005, 10:42 AM)
According to the basic guidelines however, astral perception is a psychic phenomenon.

Heh. This is the meat of what I meant with "I'd take it a different way."

I have no problem with the idea of material sensitive to astral energy, but in my interpretation of Astral Space (and my own RL bias on the concept), I'd rule that an astral photograph doesn't show remotely the same thing that an Awakened "sees."

It might still be quite useful, even pretty, but at best it'd lack some essential psychic stimuli, most likely it wouldn't even use the same range of colors and visual stimuli.

The basic idea could still work, with two things in mind.

1) Mundanes have no clue what Astral Space really looks like. You could show them practically anything and say "Here's Astral Space!"

2) The photographs would still probably be internally consistant. While a photograph would be useless for a mage to read, two photographs of the same phenomonon would be recognizable. This could easily become a strong, objective tool in foresenic magic.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 8 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Astral perception covers a sensorium beyond those we know - you could realistically apply it as a distinct sense which magicians can do no more than offer rough metaphors because no equivalent sensations exist to mundanes. As simsense demonstrates, this sensory range cannot be properly captured or recorded. Any mundane description or rendition of the astral will thus be inherently flawed. So ka.

But, on the other hand, astral sense is highly tuned to sight in most cultures, specifically the when you reference the colors of the aura. This isn't a comprehensive trait, but it is predominant. Furthermore, there are occaisions which offer a perception of the astral available to mundanes - specifically, the spirit power Astral Gateway, the spell Astral Window, the conditions known as Astral Shallow and Astral Rifts and the magical compound Altyrre.

In most cases - astral gateways, astral rifts and altyrre - the mundane may be said to be using latent or inherent structures in their brain (or soul, or consciousness) to correctly perceive the astral as magicians do - because they physically occupy the astral plane.

With the astral window and astral shallow, however, it may be construed that the astral is rendered in terms of mundane senses. Essentially, the fourth-dimensional (astral) aspect of an object becomes represented in three-dimensional space, and that representation is what is viewable by astral photography. The exact mechanism of this is funky, natch, be it the collection of astral light onto mana-sensitive silver implements in the development of the photographs, the use of astral-sensitive pigments (such as those shown to exist in certain paracritters) or some more arcane process.

So, anyone viewing an astral photograph isn't seeing the same thing as an astrally perceiving magician, just a highly limited single-sense representation of the astral scene. Enough for a skilled aura reader or theoretical thaumaturge or forensic magician or accupuncture healer or psychic detective to work with, say, although far from the depth and accuracy available to most magicians.

QUOTE (Sunday_Gamer)
Now if they were paintings, that would be different.

Nah.

+Quote Post
Nyxll
post Sep 8 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,455

If I recall in 2nd ed a photograph taken with a SLR camera and film will capture the astral, so a mage could perceive the photograph and see astral signatures within.

Is this correct?

If that is correct, I assume that the astral film will take a snapshot of the astral and show it to the mundane. Is this assumption correct?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 8 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Nyxll)
If I recall in 2nd ed a photograph taken with a SLR camera and film will capture the astral, so a mage could perceive the photograph and see astral signatures within.

Is this correct?

No.

If that is correct, I assume that the astral film will take a snapshot of the astral and show it to the mundane.  Is this assumption correct?

Also no, but you're closer. Astral-sensitive film will develop a photograph - you still see the physical, but astral impressions within the area are also captured, and rendered visible to mundanes. There is nothing magical about the photograph itself: it's just a graphic. This isn't a snap-shot, either - the techniques requires long exposure times, ideally suited to sterile crime scenes and landscapes. Portraitures and exhibitions require the subject to maintain their poses for long periods of time, else the picture will be flawed or appear to have some optical illusion.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Sep 9 2005, 01:05 AM
Post #25

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

Why am I thinking of "Red Dragon" (and the parody done in "South Park")...

"Do you see? Do you see?"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.