Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conversion guide?, Where'd it go?
Dustbin1_UK
post Sep 6 2005, 10:37 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,459

Anyone got a conversion guide for players and NPC's SR3 to SR4?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Sep 6 2005, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

Not made yet.

+Quote Post
Dustbin1_UK
post Sep 6 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 3,459

Ahhhh POO! Anyone know when about's it'll be here?

I can't find any threads to this effect, though it is probably me being stupid! :)

+Quote Post
weblife
post Sep 6 2005, 10:45 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

You probably can't convert to anything remotely as powerful as a SR3 runner.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 6 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #5

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Indeed.

Everything in SR4 is about twice as costly in Karma than in SR3... so even as it is possible to do simple math with 'normal' ratings, a character converted on the fly would be much more powerful than he should be.

+Quote Post
NeoJudas
post Sep 7 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 106

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Indeed.

Everything in SR4 is about twice as costly in Karma than in SR3... so even as it is possible to do simple math with 'normal' ratings, a character converted on the fly would be much more powerful than he should be.

It may be twice as costly, but SR4's skill clumping can overbalance without trying. We've started some brainstorming of characters and the skills themselves (Blades for instance, Clubs next) is simply stunning now for what you pay for.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Sep 7 2005, 03:31 AM
Post #7

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

You mean like how with one skill you can fly a 747 just as well as you can fly a helicopter, a Cessna, or an ultralight?

Or that you can sail a 2-man catamaran or drive a Boomer with the same skill?

Oh, let's not forget that it is now one skill to drive a Vespa and an Abrams tank.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Sep 7 2005, 04:39 AM
Post #8

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

On the other hand, it could just simply be the fact that flight controls are more automated in 2070 than in 2005, and thus it is easier to operate any vehicle. Heck, with Pilot ratings, the vehicles pretty much steer themselves.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Sep 7 2005, 08:08 AM
Post #9

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Oh, let's not forget that it is now one skill to drive a Vespa and an Abrams tank.

excellent. I once had a character that tried driving each of these (not at the same time silly), and really had no clue how. Good times they are a comin'.

Take my dodge scoot to work, and my Devil Rat Light Tank (you notice the scooter doesn't get capitols? hafta earn 'em, yup) home through rush hour traffic. All I need is my trusty car group skill! (and tank keys? :? )

+Quote Post
NeoJudas
post Sep 7 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 106

Yeah, this is where I started to laugh as well and we degraded into a "Well if he can do this, I can do that" kinda conversation. hahnsoo, don't take this wrong, but your idea of everything getting more automated being the reason the skills are more clumped now is simply not going to fly (eh, a pun....Punning Skill Group equals Flying Gliders at an equal rating).

Seriously speaking though, the Vespa and Abrahms are perfect examples. My favorite would be the Cessna and Banshee within the same skill (Pilot Aircraft). I mean come on the idea or at least one of them for SR4 was to streamline and simplify. And while some of the material is certainly streamlined and some of the material is certainly simplified ... I want to know why we also had to "stupify" so many of the rules at the same time.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 7 2005, 01:17 PM
Post #11

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (NeoJudas @ Sep 7 2005, 05:14 AM)
It may be twice as costly, but SR4's skill clumping can overbalance without trying.  We've started some brainstorming of characters and the skills themselves (Blades for instance, Clubs next) is simply stunning now for what you pay for.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

In the end, a converted character might have some small extras in area of expertise, but overall, he will be somehow... similar, yet 'weaker'.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.