Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Player Actions and Consequences, ...or, when characters do stupid things
Faenor
post Sep 7 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #26

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,699

Sorry for the delay in postings; I'm at work as we speak.

First of all, to address the Star finding his home address; He has a SIN, he's actually a registered businessman who does "supernatural troubleshooting".

And my goal was to create a situation where he would have to surrender as opposed to his "I never give up" mentality, and it would create a case where you have to go outside your comfortable boundaries. Also, it's a chance for the othe characters to save him and bring about more of a group interaction. He also had Imp Invisibility as a spell; he could have just waited them out as well but insisted on the fireworks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trax
post Sep 7 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #27

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

Yeah, that's pretty stupid.

+Quote Post
interchange
post Sep 7 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #28

Target

Member No.: 7,610

Yeah, if he's SINed, he's SOL even if it wasn't DocWagon who turned him in.

+Quote Post
Fox1
post Sep 7 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #29

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,660

QUOTE (Faenor @ Sep 7 2005, 03:32 PM)
And my goal was to create a situation where he would have to surrender as opposed to his "I never give up" mentality, and it would create a case where you have to go outside your comfortable boundaries.

I'm not really taking sides on something I know little of, but I found that statement interesting in what it implies.

The player in this example may not be anyone's idea of perfect, but I imagine that few players want their GM to force them "to go outside your comfortable boundaries".

Also the concept of a GM creating a situation where the player must abandon his character concept in favor of a GM decreeded outcome ("surrender" instead of "I never give up) is another flag indicating that the GM and the player are seeking completely different kinds of games.

I've come to believe that most "Things went down like this, I did do the right thing.. right?" posts to boards like this are not really a question of an individual GM's call. Rather they are a more of indication that the gaming style of the GM and the player(s) either don't match, or that expectations of the games style were never agreed upon.

People tend to play for fun, and rare is the case when a GM disagreeing with a player about what fun *is* ends up well for both sides...

+Quote Post
Mugzug
post Sep 7 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #30

Target

Member No.: 7,698

Actually this is a good chance for him to hire a lawyer. He could easily argue that he had no 'intent to kill' but was using his right to self defense. Then the lawyer could argue if that is why the warrant was issued, then it was an 'illegal search and siezure and the weapons charges would have to be dropped. He'd be left with a weapons charge for the grenade launcher...

But a simple plea bargain to pay a fine and do community service (see a shadowrun there?) would easily get him off of that and make the prosecutor seem like they got something. Also they may or may not give him the 'evidence' back since it was illegally siezed. A simple 'fine' (bribe) to get them back may be in order.

Of course to pay off all of these fines, and bribes may require a loan from Tony the Loanshark.

Yeah I took a class on Law, sue me. ;)

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Sep 7 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #31

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Mugzug)
Yeah I took a class on Law, sue me. ;)

Except that that's exactly what you want. I'll stick with my standard .357 lawyer response system.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Sep 7 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #32

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

I think minus the other three players ending up dead you did okay. If I were in your shoes, I'd have cobbled up a reason to either seperate them from this ass whomping, or a shoe string scifi budget way of keeping them alive.

My only question is have you tried talking with this player? I am assuming you have, and that it failed to get the results you and the other players were looking for. Am I right?

+Quote Post
Faenor
post Sep 7 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #33

Target

well, I think what I'm going to do is have the player be put in jail for a couple weeks, and since he took the Distinctive Flaw, have all his contacts remember that. Also, a good lawyer (anyone have an idea of what they would cost in SR?) will manage to get this plead down, and cost most, if not all, of his resources. Let the character walk away? Or do you think that I can salvage this?

to Paul:
fortunately, the other player characters were investigating on the other side of town. It was the phys ad who got the call stating "Guys. I'm in trouble. I'm under arrest. And they're saying I'm gonna have a new roomie/ wife troll named Spire who's only four foot standing, but six foot three on his back. Should I be worried?"

All joking aside, I think I'm just gonna take ALL of the character's weapons and have the Star harrass him a VERY long time. That way, he gets to keep his character, and I still get to punish him for the sheer audacity of using a military weapon in a crowded apartment complex.

Regardless, I thank everyone for the input. And I honestly didn't mean to turn this into a debate for internation extradition! :)

+Quote Post
Mugzug
post Sep 7 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #34

Target

Member No.: 7,698

Don't forget community service and debt! So many evil plothooks in there. If you make it hurt enough, he might even develop a mental flaw for fear of using weapons in public! Or maybe before his lawyer pleads it down Lonestar psychotropically induces a fear of such things into him.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 7 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #35

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Faenor)

First of all, to address the Star finding his home address; He has a SIN, he's actually a registered businessman who does "supernatural troubleshooting".

If he is a registered businessman then he should have been able to get permits for most of his weapons. For some strange reason you can't get a permit for a MGL-12, but sincehe shot in self-defense he may only be charged with possession, which carries a fin of 10,000 and imprisonment of 6 months. Since it is his first offence and he has a SIN, he would probably recieve the fine.

And my goal was to create a situation where he would have to surrender as opposed to his "I never give up" mentality, and it would create a case where you have to go outside your comfortable boundaries. Also, it's a chance for the othe characters to save him and bring about more of a group interaction. He also had Imp Invisibility as a spell; he could have just waited them out as well but insisted on the fireworks.

This person created a character based on Dante and you thought he would surrender instead of whipping out his grenade launcher??!!!??!!!??!!???!!!???!!!

You haven't played Devil May Cry, have you? This is a case where allowing the character was a mistake in the first place. Did you explain the concept of running in the shadows to be player before hand? Did you tell him that blowing stuff up has consequences?

As for a lawyer, some of the more dishonest attorneys might do pro bono work in exchange for a little shadowrun to help out with a high-paying client. In this case, the more dishonest the lawyer is the better.

I would suggest crosses between Alan Shore and Denny Crane from Boston Legal and Krass and Drassel from the Shadowrun Quotefiile.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Sep 8 2005, 04:32 AM
Post #36

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

Another idea is upon his regaining consciousness, DocWagon lets him know Lonestar is waiting for someone fitting his description. Then showing him some brochures/ads for plastic surgery and hinting something could probably be worked out. Definitely makes money for DocWagon by the extra services and keeping a paying customer on the streets.

Sounds like you skipped this option though and had him wake up in a jail cell.

+Quote Post
Fox1
post Sep 8 2005, 11:17 AM
Post #37

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,660

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
This person created a character based on Dante and you thought he would surrender instead of whipping out his grenade launcher??!!!??!!!??!!???!!!???!!!

The biggest mistake was made before the run even started, which is rather typical.

Much better to disallow a troublesome character concept up front than to attempt to beat that character into line by adventure setbacks.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Sep 9 2005, 04:29 AM
Post #38

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

thanks for responding Faenor. I think I agree that since the character had a SIN, it wouldn't matter if DOC Wagon handed him over or not. THere's so much surveillance in '64 that the'd find him for sure. I think firing an unregistered GRENADE LAUNCHER in an APARTMENT is certainly grounds for a warrant to lookf for more. So give him some jail time, then slap him with the POLICE RECORD flaw.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Sep 9 2005, 09:12 AM
Post #39

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

The player should have been informed by the GM that DW might turn him in to LS.

With Imp. Invisibility he could have limped outta there with noone the wiser.

Also, even if DW took the player into their care, you should have left him an option on the way.

You, the GM, ambushed the player, which he survives, and then puts him into a situation where you choose the only outcome. - That right there is railroading.

The player was due some additional info on what might happen if he let DW take him away. You didn't supply it.

As for whether the character should even exist, thats a whole other beef. The way you took this player out would have been frustrating to him.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Sep 9 2005, 09:36 AM
Post #40

Uncle Fisty

I'm sorry, but I think the player should have thought about some of the consequences of firing a grenade launcher in a building. It is called Shadowrun.

"Quiet in, quiet out." "Like a cat one might say."
- The Mayfairs - Hudson Hawk

+Quote Post
Ed Simons
post Sep 10 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #41

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I think I agree that since the character had a SIN, it wouldn't matter if DOC Wagon handed him over or not. THere's so much surveillance in '64 that the'd find him for sure.

Are you saying he'd be automatically caught merely because he had a SIN? If that's the case then runners would be caught after any crime they committed, since they'd at least need a fake SIN to get by in the world of SR.

The big thing that's going to trip him up is the Distinctive Looks.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 10 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #42

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

See, this is the difference between a real SIN and a fake SIN. Namely, the fake SIN is FAKE. It has no real information on it! Hence, if they match you up to the fake SIN, it leads to a fake address of a fake person and his fake children. This is also why shadowrunners, as a general rule of thumb, don't have SINs.

Assuming this guy registered his house and weapons on his real SIN, he should expect a knock on his door in about a week (or less). After all, he has the distinctive feature flaw, a legitimate SIN, an unusual weapon and the cops have video footage. It's not hard to put two and two together.

+Quote Post
Ed Simons
post Sep 11 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #43

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE (nezumi)
See, this is the difference between a real SIN and a fake SIN.  Namely, the fake SIN is FAKE.  It has no real information on it!

That’s not the point. If it’s this easy to determine the average Shadowrunner’s SIN, it doesn’t matter if it’s real or fake, the Runner would have to discard that SIN after each crime they committed. (Hope you correctly guess which SIN they ID’d.)

So what if the fake SIN doesn’t lead to a real address, the next time you used that fake SIN to purchase anything legally (like most lifestyle purchases), Lone Star would be informed.

QUOTE (nezumi)
Assuming this guy registered his house and weapons on his real SIN, he should expect a knock on his door in about a week (or less).

Having a house and weapons registered on a fake SIN doesn’t solve this problem.

QUOTE (nezumi)
After all, he has the distinctive feature flaw,

This is my point. Distinctive Looks is going to screw him no matter if he has a real SIN, a fake SIN, or no SIN at all.

Video footage of the runners will probably occur on most runs. If that video footage can absolutely identify the average runner and lead back to their SIN, then Shadowrunning would be impossible.

Even video footage of a Runner with Distinctive Looks wouldn’t absolutely ID the runner, but with only a handful of possible suspects, it would be fairly trivial to find out his ID.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Sep 11 2005, 03:43 AM
Post #44

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (Ed Simons)
I think I agree that since the character had a SIN, it wouldn't matter if DOC Wagon handed him over or not. THere's so much surveillance in '64 that the'd find him for sure.

Are you saying he'd be automatically caught merely because he had a SIN? If that's the case then runners would be caught after any crime they committed, since they'd at least need a fake SIN to get by in the world of SR.

The big thing that's going to trip him up is the Distinctive Looks.

Look over Rigger 3, and Sprawl sites. Especially since (as I understand it) this took place in a better place of town. Those tend to have good surveillance. Tie that in to distinctive style, and he's easier to spot. Add in a full and legal SIN makes him very easy to track down if they got a picture of him (facial structure recognition software and all). Plus, someone would have seen something, and from what I gathered, he wasn't in the kind of neighborhood people keep quite about such things.

Remember that a SIN carries a lot of information on you, linking up to even credit information, which can link up to records of what you buy, which probably ends up somewhere in the 'system' like the MIFD. WHich can correlate that data to send you specific spam and coupons , like you get from Albertson's if you have a 'savers' card, but on your telecom instead (or headware!). And with all that information at their fingertips, they could very likely work up a nice psych profile on you as well. Bed wetter? With enough digging, they could probably find out. a SIN is a key to all of that.

A fake SIN on the other hand is unlikely to even have such things as fingerprints, since having those in a system, and a number and a face to match to can be a bad idea. Plus planting all of that information is not an easy task. Check out SS on all that, and the different levels of fake ID's.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 11 2005, 03:54 AM
Post #45

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Ed Simons @ Sep 10 2005, 09:06 PM)
Having a house and weapons registered on a fake SIN doesn’t solve this problem.

No, but having wageslave Bob's house registered on a fake SIN and taking your mail out of his box ever morning does. Actually, one could make a large sum of money opperating addresses for use with fake SINs.

I'm sorry, but I think the player should have thought about some of the consequences of firing a grenade launcher in a building. It is called Shadowrun.

"Quiet in, quiet out." "Like a cat one might say."
  - The Mayfairs - Hudson Hawk

He should have know. His character choice would suggest that he didn't. Dante shoots things with grenade launchers very often and no one notices. Why should this Dante act any differently?

I'm going to assume that this was a new player. The GM should have explained the concept of Shadowrun to the player and suggested a less flamboyantly violent character.

+Quote Post
Faenor
post Sep 11 2005, 05:01 AM
Post #46

Target

Okay, I'll give my interpretation of what happened as a GM. I really did not attempt to railroad the character. And he is a veteran as well; he's been playing for over seven years.

Essentially, the character was checking on one of his contacts because a rival runner team pulled off a heist and he was hired to bring back the object (a sculpture made of orichalcum; it was in a corp's "private" art collection so thats why he was using a runner team) and the head of the perpetrators. Well, the group did not make very quiet inquiries except for our mage who specifically told her lv 2 Talismonger that she was looking for word on the street about anyone who might know about it and to keep her ears open. The others went so far as asking EVERYONE they knew about it; including several fixers. So the opposing runner team eventually heard through the grapevine. And they also heard Dante's name get dropped a few times. And through the grapevine, they also heard of who Dante hangs out with (his contacts). So when one contact ended up having a very distinctive watch sent to him by courier with a note stating "back off or he gets it. In twenty four hours we'll let him go"

So Dante goes to his decker contact who lived in an A-class neighborhood (while under surveillance, they knew where he lived but were attempting to avoid bloodshed; that's why they didn't storm his house). One of the runners follows him and says Dante's here. he ends up staying for the next twelve hours or so while the decker does some searches.
Meanwhile, the runner team hires some gangers, gives them a sub each and a ski mask, and goes to talk to Dante. Due to his amplified hearing and making an awesome perception check, I let him hear the group as they're coming up the stairs and loading magazines into the subs. They knock, whispering at the door that they're here to tell him to just chill out for the next day or so and his doctor friend will be returned unharmed (this was said by the opposing runner, or one of them anyways), and he tells his contact not to answer. He waits, and knocks back. The gangers, not being the smartest in the world, one of them looks in the peephole. Dante shoots the guy right through it. Needless to say, all hell breaks loose after that. The other gangers spray the door with subs; they don't hit a single thing except ruin the poor decker's apartment and essentially blow the door off the hinges. They're retreating by using suppressive fire, and that's when Dante states that he whips out his grenade launcher and puts a few rounds down the hallway. Everyone in the building is hitting their PANICbuttons. When Dante jumps around the corner to get a good shot off, the team leader puts a six round burst into his chest from a Supermach 100, and drops him to a serious. the other gangers get lucky with their bursts and score two or three light wounds on him. Even the decker takes a moderate wound from a stray round. Eventually, all is quiet. DocWagon arrives first as he broke his ID band (and in Neo Anarchist's guide to Real Life it states that an HTR team is sent if that happens). So they come in through the roof in an Osprey II, and the team finds him in the decker's apartment. He shows his bracelet, and verify his ID. As they're taking him along, he asks what about the decker. They state that she is not a contracted member, and they have determined her injuries to not be life-threatening. He states that he will pay for her. In a general niceness, the guy says he'll pro-rate one month's service, and he'll incur the HRT costs. he says that's fine. They also let him know that he'll need to leave the grenade lanucher "that you must have found" (added with a wink) here because they won't allow it due to it's nature. He specifically states that it's his, and he's not leaving it. The medic on the HTR says to get him on board as he's losing a lot of blood. So they get him on regardless with the decker.
I roll on a d6 to see if a DocWagon or a public hospital is closest. The result says that it's a public hospital. So they take him there with the decker, and inform the staff that he is being brought in for gunshot wounds. They strip him to begin the bullet extractions, and that's when they find the grenade launcher, and the VERY illegal ammo (two pistols filled with APDS ammo and him having no security permit). The don't know about the ammo, but they do call LoneStar about the grenade launcher. Lonestar puts two and two together and sees him on the surveillance footage as everyone in the building hit their panic buttons. And that's when I said that he'd have to make a new character.
I looked up the legality on grenade launchers, and they're classified as military weapons. I figured that the ATF (or equivalent version for the UCAS) would get involved immediately due to this. And they're also going to serve a federal search warrant on his house as well.
So what I've decided on is that they're going to take away all his toys, fine him an obscene amount of money, and any money left over is going to be spent paying a lawyer to keep him out of prison. And the lawyer is going to "let him owe a few favors to keep him out of the system entirely". And that is where we ended at three o'clock in the morning on a sunday night.

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Sep 11 2005, 05:19 AM
Post #47

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

For what it's worth, I think this "Dante" guy is getting off light. He used a grenade launcher in an "A" zone. Definitely a party foul. The BBB suggests that use of a military weapon carries an 8 year jail term and a 10,000 :nuyen: fine. If the cops want to let him out early, there ought to be something they get out of it. You can turn this into a story opportunity if you want - Dante gets a new and very demanding contact from the ATF or Lone Star. Someone who wants all kinds of illegal wiretapping, forced confessions, you name it. After all, who do you call when the cops blackmail you? You should probably try to get one or two good shadowruns out of him and then give him a way out for the future. That'll reinforce the lesson without totally derailing the character or the campaign.

As for the whole "never surrender" deal - that's a tougher issue. Is it a player attitude or a character attitude? If it's just Dante that thinks that way, then you're free to open fire in game should you choose. Players can be surprisingly resourceful. If it's the player who figures he should never surrender, maybe because he wants to always win, then you have worse problems. You might want to speak to him individually, preferably in a non-confrontational fashion.

Another option is to foreshadow the problem. Have a Johnson hire the runners for a job where he admits up front that maybe this one just can't be done. He won't geek them if they fail, won't even say anything bad about their rep. This is just nearly impossible and for whatever reason he has to try. This way, the player or the character can confront his issue head on and in a non-judgmental fashion. By warning the player ahead of time, they can get to a place where they can emotionally handle whatever happens. If there's a failure it's because the job was too hard, not because the player didn't "win."

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Sep 11 2005, 05:25 AM
Post #48

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (Faenor)
Okay, I'll give my interpretation of what happened as a GM. I really did not attempt to railroad the character. And he is a veteran as well; he's been playing for over seven years.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I'm going to assume that this was a new player. The GM should have explained the concept of Shadowrun to the player and suggested a less flamboyantly violent character

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 11 2005, 06:09 AM
Post #49

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Faenor)

I apologize for the misinterpretation. However, from your account I must say that you did make one unforgivable mistake. You did not beat the player about the head with a BBB untill he sustained deadly stun.

Yeah, I'll agree with Clyde here. If he was RPing a very stupid character he did so very well and you should reward him with some karma and all of the legal consequences such a stupid character should face. If he was trying to "win" then he really fraged up.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Sep 11 2005, 07:02 AM
Post #50

Uncle Fisty

actually, if he's still playing 3rd edition, that's ok too, cause then his poor paper back book is gonna fall apart like mine has done (after hitting a layer with it incidentally). Now if it was 4th ed hard back......

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:14 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.