Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Response Decrease, ..or: how to crash your commlink
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 7 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,951

Let's assume someone is running a Commlink with Response 5 and System 5.

If he now runs 10 Programs - 2 times its System, this would drop his Response by 2, to 3.

So far covered by the book.

But now, an ugly problem raises it's head: System is capped by Response, Programs are capped by System.

So this poor fellow now runs Response 3, System 3 and any of his 10 Programs max at 3... but wait, doesn't he now run a Program Count 3 times its System?

So response drops by 3... to 0.

Which, sadly, wouldn't allow him to run anything... Commlink down.

Is it really supposed to be this way?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
golden1
post Sep 7 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 6,482

I'm reading it as for every "system"'s worth of programs you run, response is lowered by one. All programs run at a maximum efffective rating of Rating/System/Response, whichever's lower. the system rating remains the same, as does the response. it's just "lagged by a point"

So, on the "top'o't'line" unit, (system 4, response 4) you can run a maximum of 15 programs, at rating 1 (each)

program # response
1-4 4
5-8 3
9-12 2
12-15 1

(this also means that the cheap as chips solution, (system 1, response 1) can effectivly only run one program at once, at a rating of 1. lets hope there are a lot of "rating 0" applications out there.

running the 16th aplication will reduce the responce to 0, effectivly locking up the comlink. I'd assume that there's some form of safty system to prevent this.... so when you fire up that 16th copy of "doom 2070: thy Cash consumed", either you get a nice freindly "the system is running low on resources" message, or copy #1 gets booted off the system.

+Quote Post
Bandwidthoracle
post Sep 7 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,672

So I just need to make a horde of commlink crashing agents? Each one has nothing but exploit, and they mass-login to some dude's comlink?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 8 2005, 02:22 AM
Post #4

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

sounds kinda realistic. give the system to much to work with and presto, nothing gets done. sounds like a contemporary computer to me ;)

+Quote Post
Superbum
post Sep 8 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,097

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Let's assume someone is running a Commlink with Response 5 and System 5.

If he now runs 10 Programs - 2 times its System, this would drop his Response by 2, to 3.

So far covered by the book.

But now, an ugly problem raises it's head: System is capped by Response, Programs are capped by System.

So this poor fellow now runs Response 3, System 3 and any of his 10 Programs max at 3... but wait, doesn't he now run a Program Count 3 times its System?

So response drops by 3... to 0.

Which, sadly, wouldn't allow him to run anything... Commlink down.

Is it really supposed to be this way?

I havnt read the book yet, but I don't see why you would penalize him twice for the same thing.

It probably drops the Response to an effective rating of 3. Its rating still is 5, but you can only use it up to 3. Which in effect lowers its System to an effective rating of 3 as well. Its rating still is 5 (like his Response), but he can only use it up to 3.

No need to further penalize him.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.