Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Sep 8 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,675

The thing would fall over on a 1% slope.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 8 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

It doesn't even walk, it just shuffles on wheels.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Sep 8 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...wtopic=8492&hl=

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Sep 8 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

This is better than a Hummer with a .50 BMG and a TOW on the back...how?

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 8 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #8

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

I'll tell you what WOULD make it just short of invincible. Make the cabin smaller so it can only be driven by school children. No one can beat a mecha driven by seventh graders.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Sep 8 2005, 09:28 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

It is a little known fact that nezumi is in fact hand carved by seventh generation Swedish master craftsmen from a solid block of awesome.

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
This is better than a Hummer with a .50 BMG and a TOW on the back...how?

Try and imagine a Model T (or worse, really) with a machine gun of the day tied to it. Pretty useless, right? Give this just a third of the development time that's had and we'll have something practically useful. There's plenty of potential for much more mobile armor of varying strengths and purposes in an urban combat setting, and plenty of civilian use (construction, disaster management, etc) potential as well.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Sep 9 2005, 01:24 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

Cool, if I ever have to fight slow moving monsters from 10 meters away on a smooth, even surface, I'm usin' that bad boy!!!

Actually, it'd make an awesome addition to a customized paintball park....

Hey anybody here seen "Aliens." Wasn't a lot of that gadget real?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 9 2005, 01:31 AM
Post #11

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

well those crazy japs have made a powerd exoskeleton like system.

all we realy need is to scale it up some and the loader suits of aliens fame should be workable.

for combat tho is still to slow. and the "suit" linked to in this topic isnt balanced by the pilots own balance. still, there are some selfbalancing robots out there now. scale em up and replace much of the torso with a cabin and things start to get interesting.

so while the item in the article may be just for show. the baseline tech is being developed as we speak and just need some more years of refinement so that it can more or less match the human body for speed while carrying a load thats bigger then any human to date can handle ;)

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 9 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #12

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (Arethusa)
It is a little known fact that nezumi is in fact hand carved by seventh generation Swedish master craftsmen from a solid block of awesome.

I might be immodest, but I think this'll leave me laughing all day. Thanks :)

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 9 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Try and imagine a Model T (or worse, really) with a machine gun of the day tied to it.  Pretty useless, right?  Give this just a third of the development time that's had and we'll have something practically useful.  There's plenty of potential for much more mobile armor of varying strengths and purposes in an urban combat setting,

If this mecha actually walked, I'd agree with you. You have to start somewhere and several generations down the line, an effective walking armored unit would be very useful.

But this mecha hasn't taken the first step (pun intended) toward walking. Literally, it hasn't taken a step: it is a wheeled vehicle with an awkward and inefficient drive train (long struts that shuffle like legs). The casters hidden under the feet apparently have brakes that lock the wheels in place when a foot needs to be stationary, then release to let the "leg" slide a foot forward.

IMO, an actual legged drive train, like the Honda Asimo, is much larger engineering achievement than a rollerskating "mecha." The video below is comical, but the little bugger is actually running (i.e., has both of its feet in the air at the same time).

Asimo Running

When someone builds a robot that large that can actually walk (i.e., lift its feet for movement), I'll be more impressed. Right now, this thing has done little to advance robotics or create mecha.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Sep 9 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

I've thought about it, and I'm gonna throw my hat in with the pro-giant robot crowd on this one.
I was thinking about the Wright brothers, and how, after seeing their first flight, how many people "knew" that a contraption like that would have no practical application and didn't even hardly fly, really. No one imagined the F-23 at that point, not even the Wrights. Sure, that thing in the video is a toy, but it's also a statement of vision. (The guns are a little silly though. I think they work against credibility.)
I've seen that little three-foot tall walking 'bot that can climb stairs and so on too, and I'm convinced that it can be done. And it seems to me that if it can be done, it will, regardless of if it needs to be.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Sep 9 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I wasn't really referring to the shuffling mecha nearly as much as the recent powered exo skeletons, Asimo, and other recent robotics developments. I realize the shuffling mecha is really not that impressive.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Sep 9 2005, 03:46 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (Dog @ Sep 9 2005, 10:04 AM)
I've thought about it, and I'm gonna throw my hat in with the pro-giant robot crowd on this one. 
I was thinking about the Wright brothers, and how, after seeing their first flight, how many people "knew" that a contraption like that would have no practical application and didn't even hardly fly, really.  No one imagined the F-23 at that point, not even the Wrights.  Sure, that thing in the video is a toy, but it's also a statement of vision.  (The guns are a little silly though.  I think they work against credibility.)
I've seen that little three-foot tall walking 'bot that can climb stairs and so on too, and I'm convinced that it can be done.  And it seems to me that if it can be done, it will, regardless of if it needs to be.

It's a bad analogy. Most of the cirtics at the time were probably ignorant of even the basic physics involved.

Saying that walkers will be viable battlefield machines is like saying that the F-22 will one day have meaningful competition from a flying machine that gets aloft by flapping its wings.

Unless someone finds a way to suspend the laws of physics, that just isn't going to happen... just like the walker is always going to be a monumentally inefficient design. Any technology that makes a walker possible - never mind practical - is just going to make conventional wheeled or airborne vehicles that much more efficient. The gap will never close.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Sep 9 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (Dog)
Cool, if I ever have to fight slow moving monsters from 10 meters away on a smooth, even surface, I'm usin' that bad boy!!!

Actually, it'd make an awesome addition to a customized paintball park....

Well, it's a JAPANESE system and it is well known that Japan has occassional problems with big, slow monsters rampaging around in the Cities. So maybe that's the next generation Anti-Godjira weapon :D

Maybe we should Surge that japanese Dragon to something more fitting...

Birdy

+Quote Post
weblife
post Sep 9 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

Houseclearing, city combat.

Send in the legged drone to look around, and where a wheeled vehicle would stop, it can climb over.

Aswell as use hands to open doors etc.

Best application of "intelligence" would probably be a marine in VR gear some location nearby, transmitting to the Drone by remote or wire.

Construction sites, where forklifts are too clumsy or to carry stuff up stairs.

Plenty of potential applications for a legged robot, just a matter of getting it good and cheap enough.

+Quote Post
TimeKeeper
post Sep 9 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 149

Sometimes I wonder if this whole thing was just an "It seemed like a good idea at the time" project or what.

Besides the overall "Coolness" of it, is there really a tactical aplication for a mobile walker unit? Not to derail this but even the most recent Metal Gear game debunked the whole walking tank thing. If you mounted almost any type of cannon on it, the recoil would almost knock down it as there's not enough contact surface to brace the shock. (Almost as there are some recoil-less weapons.) And it would provide a much bigger profile, ie TARGET, to aim for.

Maybe we should ask some of our resident Mech-jockeys here what their take on this is.

You know... I'm really tempted to post this on the Penny-Arcade boards with just he heading of "Metal..... Gear"

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Sep 9 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #20

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Oh gods, not another one of these arguments.

*Whine.*

I've seen them before. They're ugly.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Sep 9 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (weblife)
Houseclearing, city combat.

Send in the legged drone to look around, and where a wheeled vehicle would stop, it can climb over.

Aswell as use hands to open doors etc.

Best application of "intelligence" would probably be a marine in VR gear some location nearby, transmitting to the Drone by remote or wire.

Construction sites, where forklifts are too clumsy or to carry stuff up stairs.

Plenty of potential applications for a legged robot, just a matter of getting it good and cheap enough.

Can't have that. It's bad for Hollywood. I mean come on, who would go into a movie where the lead actress is a rather bland "nerd" type that sit's in front of a computer all the time? Or where action is limited to "I send my drones"?

Minimum is the nerd running around, maybe a Bikini scene or two. ;)

And it's even worse for the male actors. Imagin Brad Pitt without a chance to show of his bare chest. Nah, no way! Or imagin John Wayne sending his drone fighter against the russian one. Wouldn't work out, unless the fighters start an affair... :D

So forget smart drones, stick to real marines and have Hollywood cast well formed actors in semi-torn clothes for the "films based on". 8)

Birdy

+Quote Post
Dog
post Sep 9 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

MMU1, The critics of the late 1800's were just as sure of their understanding of science as we are of ours. Just 'cause we haven't thought of a way to do it yet is not enough to say that it can't be done. It sounds to me like you're saying "They only thought they were right, I know I am."

I reiterate, what that video shows me is that there are some (strange but) dedicated people who want that badly to make it happen. Historically, that pretty much means that it will, eventually. Call it the 'because it is there' line of thought. You seem to be arguing that since it isn't the 'best' idea, it won't take off. Isn't that like saying that muscle cars shouldn't be because economy cars can? I think these 'bots'll exist in a more advanced form than we're seeing here for no other reason than a bunch of people with engineering degrees think they are cool.

And don't limit yourself to thinking of "battlefield" machines.

Besides, there are some pretty significant -some would say dominant- machines trundling around this planet making pretty good use of the 'walker' design. Billions, in fact. Mind you, they've got some pretty sophisticated computers running them.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Sep 9 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #23

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

I think what he was saying is that it will never be practical. It is to complicated to ever be practical. Why use it when we have more conventional and established means of doing the same thing?

It will never be used on the battlefield in any kind of combat capacity I assure you. And it isn't because there is some new thing waiting to be discovered that I don't know about.

Something’s are absolute no matter how much you want them not to be. The people who criticized the Wright brothers did so from a place of ignorance. No one knew anything about flying back then. Since people hadn't done it, they assumed it couldn't be done.

We are not criticizing from a place of ignorance. We all know how physics work, how practicality works etc.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Sep 9 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Everyday, we use gadgets and do things that are impractical. You know anybody who plants a flower garden? Why use a riding mower when you can get exercise and save money with a push mower?

"It will never be used on the battlefield in any kind of combat capacity...." You say. By "it" do you mean the primitive contraption in the video? I agree. "...used on the battlefield..." could it be used somewhere else? "...combat capacity..." as I said, how about another capacity?

Why did armies wear dashing, colourful uniforms for so long when mottled earth tones made more sense? We put sattelites in orbit so we can get a clearer picture of David Letterman.

Chuck Yeager wrote about a time when he "knew" that an airplane couldn't fly unless it's wingspan was greater than its length. How can we possibly know that a technology is not going to be possible? Of course we are all speaking from a place of ignorance. We simply cannot know. Today we take for granted that we have tiny portable music players with no moving parts. Ask your parents if they thought that was possible thirty years ago.

Anyway, I cannot prove something in the future will happen any more than you can prove that it won't, so I guess we're both fools. I'm done.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 9 2005, 05:49 PM
Post #25

Running Target

QUOTE (Dog)

No, none of it was real. A weightlifter stood behind the rig and helped it move.

Everyday, we use gadgets and do things that are impractical.

Agreed, and the all terrain features of a mecha's legs - even one this big - could make it very useful, even if other vehicles were more efficient at some of its tasks.

However, it won't be a derivative of this. It's an impressive accomplishment, but without even being able to walk, I have trouble calling it a mecha.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.