IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cheap Decker/Hackers, what do they need beyond starting gear?
MortVent
post Sep 10 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,598

I just did a workup -

Add the price of a commlink (not included)
Programs -
All Common Use, Rtg 6 : 4,200
All Hacking, Rtg 6: 90,000
Firewall 6: 3,000
System 6: 3,000
Agent 4: 10,000
IC 4: 10,000

Commlink Upgrades/Accessories:
Response 5: 4,000
Signal 5: 4,000
AR Gloves: 250
Satellite Link: 500
Sim Module - Hot Sim Modified: 250
Skinlink: 50
Subvocal Microphone: 50
Trodes: 50
AR Glasses or monocle w/Image Link: 50

Total: 126,400

Add a Hardware shop for 5000, and during one month of downtime (less actually) if the char has 4,500 they can upgrade response and signal to 6.

So taking the cheapest commlink and shop total = 131,900 (27BP) to get max gear for a decker/hacker except for the Agent and IC cores.

But I think this may be intentional since a street sam can max out their essence and tech at start too.

May be a good thing or bad, as the decker is no longer a time/resource sink that made riggers look cheap at times. Now Riggers are the resource drain, got to buy them drones.

Scary part is if the team is willing to fork over cash for lifestyle, the decker/hacker can break the protection on the software and share it with the rest of the team easily (and upgrade their commlinks a lot cheaper)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Sep 10 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

wow... got an error screen and when I hit the shadowrun 4 forum... 3 diffrent topics :-/

+Quote Post
Bull
post Sep 10 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #3

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Yeah, it's been happening lately for some reason. I'm cleaning em up as best I can :)

Bull

+Quote Post
Phoniex
post Sep 11 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 2,769

Yeah, its kinda sad you can tack on everything you need for hacking in 27 buildpoints and one rating 3 skill for 12 BP. I mean at that price, every street sam out there should pick up hacking 3, and just enjoy. And the worse thing is that technomancers that do the same thing and normally ONLY that, yeah they cost:

Technomancer quality: 5BP
Reasonace attribute 5 : 40BP
Logic x 2 complex forms at reasonace rating (assuming logic of 4) 8*5=40BP

So about 3 times the cost of the hacker for 1 less die (assume equal hacking skill, but programs rating 6 compared to rating 5 complex forms) for the technomancer.

So why play the technomancer again? Why not tack on 1 profession rating skill and about 20 BP worth of :nuyen: on a sammy and do it just as well if not better than the technomancer?

+Quote Post
apple
post Sep 11 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,827

QUOTE (Phoniex)
So why play the technomancer again?

Because, after a lot of Karma and Cash, both the samurai and the hacker will collide with the cap (attribute, skill, equipment).

SYL

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 11 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #6

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Much less Cash than Karma. ;)

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Sep 11 2005, 01:45 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Yeah, a technomancer can breach some limits with thier version of initiation.

+Quote Post
Orient
post Sep 11 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,553

The highest System rating I found in SR4 was the Novatech Navi OS, with a System of 4. Shouldn't that limit all programs used on the Commlink to a maximum effective rating of 4? Or is there a list of upgrades that have escaped my notice in there somewhere...?

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Sep 11 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #9

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Orient @ Sep 11 2005, 04:12 PM)
The highest System rating I found in SR4 was the Novatech Navi OS, with a System of 4.  Shouldn't that limit all programs used on the Commlink to a maximum effective rating of 4?  Or is there a list of upgrades that have escaped my notice in there somewhere...?

Last page of the Wireless World section, on upgrading your programs and such. Also, in both the Gear section and the Wireless World section, there are tables for the costs of programs, and that includes System and Firewall on the list.

+Quote Post
Orient
post Sep 11 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,553

Oh. Yes. *ahem*

I'm blind, apparently.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Sep 12 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

well at start all programs operate at raiting 5 till the hardware gets upgraded, but once that is upgraded (cheeply at 4.5k and less than a month) all work at the full rating.

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Sep 12 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

Technomancers have the advantage in the long run, and at this point as far as I can see, Technomancers are the only things that can get 4 init passes in the matrix, as well as ratings higher than 6 for the various aspects of their living persona.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Sep 12 2005, 03:00 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

yep, and only savant style adept hackers got a chance to keep up (and karma wise just as expensive)

[odd thing is nobody complains about insane dice pools for combat adepts... but savant adepts... oh boy]

+Quote Post
Phoniex
post Sep 12 2005, 06:05 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 2,769

QUOTE (MortVent)
yep, and only savant style adept hackers got a chance to keep up (and karma wise just as expensive)

[odd thing is nobody complains about insane dice pools for combat adepts... but savant adepts... oh boy]

Thats because no one other than great dragons and immortal elves should roll over about 15 dice on any non-combat test in this game. (excluding edge)

And its just no fun when the PC's can say, so i got 10 hits on a negitiations test, Mr johnson is paying us 100k for the courier run and has agreed to file our run as a contract with the corporate court. And it be perfectly legal ingame ;)

And Savant hackers are wrong out of the box. But it does take at about 100 karam for technomancers to have an advantage over normal hackers. For less than 1/2 that cost the hacker can max hacking skill and start working on getting higher programs that only cost :nuyen: not karma. But if you see 80+ BP at char gen(compared to 30 some) and lower starting dice pool worth the ability to spend 100 karam to get 1 die more than a hacker *and a spiffy submersion ability i grant*. Well, your entitled to that opinion.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.