IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shell stops taking cheques, Are we getting closer to the credstick?
DrJest
post Sep 11 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,722

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/mone...box/4233002.stm

Note the comments towards the bottom of the article about "cashless stores". We may indeed be drawing closer to the use of the credstick or equivalent.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aku
post Sep 11 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #2

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

it doesnt surprise me, especially with the premiums that stores pay for checks, just for the "privilage" to take them. not to mention the time hassle of having a person write them. While it's true thee are check writers available, mosr retailers (even major ones) dont use them, and alot of times, for othe ones that do, the person is in the process of writing it before the cashier even says anything.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Sep 11 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

Hehe, you are not exactly on the "cutting edge" over there. Cheques are out of the question in several EU countries.

Notable exception, that I know of, are Ireland. They use cheques for everything.

Cashless banks, where you can't get money except in the vending machine are the order of the day here in DK.

You have your card, charge by the bill and hardly ever need to have more than a handfull of change for the odd offline hotdog stand or similar.

Nothing new there. The "new" part would be if I could transfer money to another person just by holding my card near theirs and typing/saying an amount.

The amount of actual cash in circulation have been dropping nicely over the last few decades. With Netbanking taking care of fx the above situation where I need to give money to another person.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 11 2005, 04:15 PM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (weblife)
Nothing new there. The "new" part would be if I could transfer money to another person just by holding my card near theirs and typing/saying an amount.

That wouldn't be difficult to do using smartcard technology. The only problem is that smart cards are hackable. Today, very few stores accept them so that isn't a problem.
Electronic forgery is generally easier to do perfctly than paper forgery is. Sure, anyone can run a 20 through a photocoppier, but it takes a printing press and mint paper to create a bill that would fool Banks. With electronic money, all you need is to change a few digits on your card.

Currently, creadit cards are safer from forgery because they are linked to an individual account. Smartcards, on the other hand, aren't linked to anything. They just have a dollar ammount programed onto the chip.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 11 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #5

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, only news i can see here is that they are refusing to accept payment by check totaly.

but hell, only person i can recall seeing using a check these days are my dad. and thats atleast 10 years ago. today its all done by debit card.

heh, some companys here in norway have even stopped sending bills. rather you get a email message telling you to go to your online bank and confirm the bill.

in contrast i recall reading someones rant about how hard it was to set up a similar service account in the US. but then its sounded like he wanted to chrge the bill on his credit card and had to input all kinds of info about himself to do so. talk about overcomplicating stuff. it allmost sounded like the web site was not connected to any bank or credit card company :eek: but was acting as a third party service provider.

sure the US invented the net but hell if they know how to use it :P

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Sep 11 2005, 07:50 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

I think we're going to end up bypassing credsticks entirely, and go on to using cell phones. There's already a system in Japan, I believe, and probably offers more encryption than what you can fit into a card.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Sep 12 2005, 02:25 AM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

I do not know of anyone in the US who uses a check. several chains issue their own credit cards that send you a bill at the end of the mnoth for what you bought, but at the pump? A check? Never.

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Sep 12 2005, 03:30 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

In Washington checks are used for damn near everything.

Although I always pay in cash.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Sep 12 2005, 09:12 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

To add to Weblife:

German EC (EuroCheque) cards are "electronic money" since the 1980s. The correct (and recommended) way for the seller is to have a terminal with a connection (either permanent or dial up) to his bank. The card has a magnetic strip that's read than the user enters a PIN, both send to the bank and compared. If they match, money is transfered immediatly. This system is used in fuel stations, book shops, clothing stores and some food stores

A (far less secure) alternativ is for the cash register to print a bill and for you to countersign. Sadly most food-stores still use that system.

As an add-on the newer (mid 1990s) cards have a smart chip similar to the one used in reloadable telefone cards. You can download money to the chip on special terminals (again with PIN and link to a bank) and than transfer that money on a terminal at the sellers place. The early seller terminals and chips had a lot of problems and the system is currently considered "dead" also when it worked, it was quite nice for paying small amounts of money.

So basically: If they fix the chashcard functions (Actually done, just make the sellers use them) and discontinue the less-secure alternative, we already have the credstick here in germany.

Birdy

+Quote Post
Sicarius
post Sep 12 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,270

I can count on one hand the number of times I use cash in a given month. 90% of my purchases are Debit Card. The only checks dealt with are the ones given to me, by my stone age company, that refuses to direct deposit. That check gets immediately mailed to my bank, which has no real world location. (like a regular bank, with money, they have offices obviously.) Bills are paid online.

Which actually makes cash a real commodity for me, I try to avoid using it for anything except those things were they ONLY take cash.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Sep 12 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #11

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

Cirdy: that sounds like our check card here state side. My mom is one of those people STILL writing checks though, and i dont get it. I find they're harder to keep track of (as far as when they're depositied by the receiver) and in stores especially, they just take way toooooo long to write out. I'm the kind of person that RARELY has more than prolly 40 dollars on me (except for recently, because i was moving, and didnt kept cash on me from my paycheck because i didnt get a local bank at that point so i just chased my checks at my parents bank). Ofcourse now, i'm waitering, so most of my money is going to be in tips, but even still i'll be depositing it in the bank that day or the next if i work a late shift.

oh, and i think, design wise, we are getting closer to the credstick. y newest bank sent me a second check/visa card that is mini that fits on a keyring... i dont think i'm going to use it though, i misplace my keys enough, and having my check card on there makes me uneasy.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 12 2005, 12:14 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
heh, some companys here in norway have even stopped sending bills. rather you get a email message telling you to go to your online bank and confirm the bill.

Sounds like the US. All of my major creditors (car, credit cards, insurance, electricity, cable TV, telephone services, etc.) offer e-bills.

sure the US invented the net but hell if they know how to use it :P

Speaking from the US...

For the past 5 years, I've paid 3-4 bills with checks:
1) Student loans. As a matter of aesthetics, I want to keep track of my payments with the payment slip booklets.
2) Apartment rent. I want a hard copy receipt and personal confirmation of payment - the two complexes I've been in since college have both tried to claim I skipped a payment when I didn't.
3) Water/sewer. My current apartment complex hired a small, local firm to handle its water billing and I'm not sure its employees know how to use computers for anything other than Solitaire.
4) Once-a-year membership fees and charitable donations. (And I've arranged for automatic charitable deductions from my paycheck, so I rarely write checks to charities anymore.)

The majority of my bills are handled electronically through my bank's website. Most of my regular bills are offered electronically and I handle them all over the Internet.

I just paid for my first class in my master's program over the Internet with a credit card (they weren't taking debit cards for some reason), and that was a helluva lot easier than dealing with the Registrar and beginning-of-term student crowds. Minutes later, I paid off the credit card with an online payment from my bank.

Any funds I receive from my employer (wages and travel reimbursements) are electronically deposited in my bank account. If I want a hard copy of my paystub, I have to go on-line to the company intranet and print a copy. My employer stopped distributing paystubs (and checks) because distributing the hardcopies every payday ate up a lot of man-hours. Or so they said - I think the HR personnel just wanted more time to waste on instant messaging and Solitaire.

In daily life, I typically pay with debit or credit card - gasoline, groceries, movie rentals, etc.

I tend to keep some cash handy to avoid ATM fees on small expenses (e.g., fast food), but that's it.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Sep 12 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

In my life (as I have no credit cards yet), being a college student...

I mostly get checks from relatives at birthday/holidays. Checks, for me, are a pain; I have to depend on parents cashing them due to my lack of mobility.

At school, I most often use my school's ID card/debit account to pay for things on campus. Unfortunately, most stores in the area do not accept said card, so I need to keep $40-50 on hand. Similarly, that cash also gets used for things like pizza, etc.

Things that concern me with the SR concept of credsticks:

1. Losing the damn things. Let's get real, most people are forgetful. Credsticks seem to be just the size as to be easily lost, *constantly*.

2. Security. Now, with credsticks, what if you get mugged? You're totally screwed. They didn't just take your money, they took your identity, too.

3. Shit happens: Things happen to electronics all the time. We've all had credit/debit cards become demagnetized, get scuffed up, etc. Or IDs get beaten up beyond recognition. Or whatever.

Now, if that ordinary "Shit happens" sort of thing, well, happens...What the hell do you do?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 12 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #14

panda!

figures that i would get yet another foot in mouth moment...

thanks for proving that the US isnt as backwaters as it could look like cray74.

i wish i could track down that rant i recall reading but i dont know where i found the link...

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Sep 12 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #15

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Penta)
2. Security. Now, with credsticks, what if you get mugged? You're totally screwed. They didn't just take your money, they took your identity, too.

Well, you'd have to get a new one, that's for sure. But I'm fairly certain you can still do transactions without a credstick... a credstick just facilitates the transfer easier at terminals, just like an ATM card. Also, there's nothing that says you have one (and only one) credstick per person. I'm sure most folks have at least 2, and perhaps more (family package deals?). All credsticks are protected with some form of security, from password/key (low-end) to biometrics (high-end).

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 12 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #16

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (Supercilious @ Sep 11 2005, 10:30 PM)
In Washington checks are used for damn near everything.

Although I always pay in cash.

I *NEVER* pay in cash if I can help it. I pay checks for rent because they won't accept anything else (well, except money orders. Neanderthals, all of them), I use checks when I've misplaced my credit card again, and I use checks at Costco because they don't accept Visa and their ATM charges $3 for their dirty money.

Everything else, electricity, water, gas, netflix, phone, everything I pay with credit card, and 90% of it I pay online. I pay online for pizza and, when I'm feeling lazy, groceries. I have like eight checkbooks lying around and the only thing eating them is rent.

(oh yeah, and my stupid company credit card, which is a whole ball of silliness. My company pays my personal account so I can use their credit card so I can pay through the mail to pay off their credit card. Whatever.)

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Sep 12 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #17

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

You've also got to realize, in the Dystopian future of Shadowrun, decisions are made, by and large, for how they will faccilitate gameplay. I'm pretty sure playing Joe Wageslave would be problematic at best. Shadowrunners stealing his credstick, applying their 1337 6 in Electronics to it, racking up bills in his name, etcetera.

As someone said previously, it'll probably go straight to cellphones for what we know in SRun as Registered credsticks, though it's entirely possible, likely even, that Certified Credsticks or something similar, will exist. They are, after all, a lot easier to manage than rolls of paper and coins. the downside, of course, is that forgery is simple.

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Sep 12 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

"Cash cards" already exist, and some form of that will likely be the replacement for certified credsticks.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 12 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #19

panda!

if we go cellphone for coin replacement maybe the phone will have to "call home" ever so often to report on the latest movements and where it came from if coming in.

thing is with all kinds of frauds, to keep it low profile.

if you get hold of another persons credit card info the last thing you should do is max it in one go. use it as if it was your own card and the owner may never notice it ;)

and the same deal with phone cash. do not drop 10000+ onto it in one go. 50 here, 100 there maybe and hopefully noone will pick up on it :P

hmm, i know some university areas use cash cards for internal cash. i wonder if any IT student have tryed cracking them :P

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 13 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #20

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 12 2005, 05:00 PM)
if you get hold of another persons credit card info the last thing you should do is max it in one go. use it as if it was your own card and the owner may never notice it ;)

That's true. You try it out somewhere like a gas station, where there are no cameras or attendants, for a small amount of money.

THEN you try to draw it all out in one (or two) goes.

If you have someone's personal credit card, how long do you really think they'll go without it before they think someone's taken it? 48 hours if you're lucky. A week if you're super lucky. As soon as that happens, the card is cancelled and next time you try to use it, you run a risk of getting arrested.

Edit: Noticed you said info, not card. If you have their info, you're going to have to gamble on how closely you think they examine their bills. I check mine very carefully. If you think the person doesn't check, yeah, $10 or $50 a month should pass unnoticed for a good, long time. $100 or $300 is a big enough jump that it may raise some flags, but maybe not. $1,000 will certainly raise flags, but you'd have to go for 20 months at $50 a month to make that much otherwise.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 13 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #21

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Penta)
In my life (as I have no credit cards yet), being a college student...

I mostly get checks from relatives at birthday/holidays. Checks, for me, are a pain; I have to depend on parents cashing them due to my lack of mobility.

At school, I most often use my school's ID card/debit account to pay for things on campus. Unfortunately, most stores in the area do not accept said card, so I need to keep $40-50 on hand. Similarly, that cash also gets used for things like pizza, etc.

Things that concern me with the SR concept of credsticks:

1. Losing the damn things. Let's get real, most people are forgetful. Credsticks seem to be just the size as to be easily lost, *constantly*.

3. Shit happens: Things happen to electronics all the time. We've all had credit/debit cards become demagnetized, get scuffed up, etc. Or IDs get beaten up beyond recognition. Or whatever.

Now, if that ordinary "Shit happens" sort of thing, well, happens...What the hell do you do?

1. One could have multiple credsticks for that problem. I'm sure banks wouldn't mind issuing several to a single person. They all connect to th same account, after all.

2. "You don't ook like a 60 year old woman" says the store clerk to the teenage male ganger.

3. Again, one could go to the bank and get a replcement. There would probably be DNA verification.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.