IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4 and the years to come., Wishes and predictions.
Dogsoup
post Sep 13 2005, 02:21 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 806

How do you wish to see SR4 develop in terms of design, package, writing and exposure? What do you think or hope Fanpro will do, and how will it all come out? Will SR4 be a success or a failure and what led up to that?
This is about SR's existence and content in our world, not the players' place in SR: "More/Less street-level!" has been rather covered, don't you think ;)? Thus far I think I've settled on the following:

No new rules! This will be somewhat of a mantra for every publication... ever. SR3 really painted itself into a corner on this one IMO. A couple of pages of non-essential rules per book is ok, but all you'll need for every possible situation should exist in the BBB. New "system" stuff should consist of additional skills, equipment and magic.

Fanpro should quickly (as soon as possible) release a few, a handful at the most, "corebooks" of sort. These will be very condensed and feature a wide coverage of their intended subject. They will also adhere to my above statement about rules, and lack geographical fluff entirely. My wishlist is Combat (weapons, gear & possibly vehicles), Everyday Life Book (housing, cosmetic or non-shadowrunner bio/cyber, consumer culture), The Supernatural (magic, spirits and awakened animals) and The Matrix.

The world books, "Shadows of", should be released as thin, stapled books: 60-90 pages or so. One country per book. One or two thicker books with a collection of related places is ok, I guess, but it should be the exception.

Style and visual impact! The layout of SR4 were quite satisfying in visual terms but the art was sometimes unfitting or even ugly. I think, and this is entirely subjective of course, that some of the artists has to be axed from future products. More colour art inside of books! Look to the comic industry, which is quite flourishing in terms of quality IMO, for sources of inspiration and artists.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jervinator
post Sep 13 2005, 03:38 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,682

I kinda agree and disagree. While it's nice not to have to cross-reference 5 books to figure out the specific rules for my players guns, adept abilities, cyber/bio-ware, and vehicles, I must most strongly disagree with the part about "... very condensed...".
I find the rules on firearm design presented in Cannon Companion to be far too condensed; I only use them due to a lack of adequate conversion rules from 3G3 (quite detailed, though math-intensive) to SR. Try a 13mm heavy rifle firing a DS round with a 3.9mm DPU penetrator and the rules break down.
As for the no new rules, I feel that ADDITIONAL rules for situations not covered are acceptable... in moderation. But as for a total re-do like Rigger 2 vehicle combat, that is a major no-no.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 13 2005, 08:55 AM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

There are going to be new rules in the the core supplements. Hopefully a kinder level of confusion than SR3, but the way the SR4 BBB lays out and the product descriptions/plans read right now they are going to be there.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 13 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #4

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

So one can only hope that there will be no new Skills - this is what really screws things up.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 13 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #5

Dragon

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 13 2005, 03:03 AM)
So one can only hope that there will be no new Skills - this is what really screws things up.

Well at least there is a very good chance there won't be any new magical skills. The base 6 are intended to be used for all meta magics. No new Skill for each meta magic.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 13 2005, 09:10 AM
Post #6

Hoppelhäschen 5000

And Outdoors and Stealth seem complete, too... yet, this one little thing called Small Unit Tactics is missing - which can either mean it will rear its ugly head again in Arsenal or just has died its well earned death, consumed by Influence - Leadership (Tactics).

+Quote Post
sapphire_wyvern
post Sep 13 2005, 09:24 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,064

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
And Outdoors and Stealth seem complete, too... yet, this one little thing called Small Unit Tactics is missing - which can either mean it will rear its ugly head again in Arsenal or just has died its well earned death, included in Influence - Leadership (Tactics).

Here's one vote for "death to Small Unit Tactics!"

Sure, bring back some variant of its rules if you like... making checks to grant Init bonuses to your team is all good in my book... but the Leadership skill damn well ought to do something, which it never has in any edition of SR I can recall. Considering it has Tactics as a specialty, it's pretty clear that Leadership is the true home for any such rules.

Even now we have details on how Leadership should be resisted(!) but no guidelines on what sort of benefits it might bring!

+Quote Post
SirBedevere
post Sep 13 2005, 09:41 AM
Post #8

Knight Templar

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,424

What I hope is that SR4 will bring new players into the game. FanPro took a big gamble that a re-write of the rules would bring in many more new players than it caused old players to stop playing (or play SR3 or SR3R or whatever). If the gamble pays off, and we won't know until the dead-tree SR4 has been out for a while, then FanPro will continue to produce SR material.

I hope that the new source books will be 'rules light' as that will make them more attractive to those of us who don't use the SR4 rules. I think that most of the world has been covered by the 'Shadows of ...' books, particularly when SoLA comes out on-line, with the notable exception of Africa. I like Dogsoup's idea of small, single country books; the authors could concentrate on the more interesting/important countries without having to cover those that may not be. Having some of those about African countries would be nice. I personally would like to see a sourcebook of the astral and metaplanes. They are fairly undefined territory at the moment and I would like to see that change. Everyday Life would be one of my choices as well.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Sep 13 2005, 10:08 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 185

As announced at Origins and GenCon, SR4 upcoming schedule starts off with the core rulebooks: Street Magic, Arsenal, Augmented and Unwired. These are likely to be rules heavy just like their SR3 counterparts - but they will also have more of a fiction component than their predecessors (in fact all books will). Whether Companions will follow remains to be seen. The aim is to keep the rules streamlined, integrated and fully compatible (using the same core mechanic) as the different rules subsets in the BBB.

There might not be a need for an "Everyday Life" book like SSG if the fiction content in the new format books covers those issues.

Also announced at GenCon, the location book format for the immediate future will focus on sprawls rather than nations (the vast majority of material in the Shadows of will remain valid and compatible, excepting the fallout of System Failure). The first of these sprawl books will be Runner Havens which was announced as covering Seattle and Hong Kong in detail and a few other sprawls in less detail. Single country books are too big of a commercial risk to be viable.

Periodic "plotbooks" were also mentioned though what form they will take remains to be seen - I for one would like to see them follow System Failure's lead with lots of fiction and then some track style setup.

Blakkie - I forsee at least one more Magical skill group coming up with Enchanting rules in Street Magic.

+Quote Post
sapphire_wyvern
post Sep 13 2005, 10:13 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Synner @ Sep 13 2005, 08:08 PM)
As announced at Origins and GenCon, SR4 upcoming schedule starts off with the core rulebooks: Street Magic, Arsenal, Augmented and Unwired. These are likely to be rules heavy just like their SR3 counterparts - but they will also have more of a fiction component than their predecessors (in fact all books will). Whether Companions will follow remains to be seen. The aim is to keep the rules streamlined, integrated and fully compatible (using the same core mechanic) as the different rules subsets in the BBB.

There might not be a need for an "Everyday Life" book like SSG if the fiction content in the new format books covers those issues.

Also announced at GenCon, the location book format for the immediate future will focus on sprawls rather than nations (the vast majority of material in the Shadows of will remain valid and compatible, excepting the fallout of System Failure). The first of these sprawl books will be Runner Havens which was announced as covering Seattle and Hong Kong in detail and a few other sprawls in less detail. Single country books are too big of a commercial risk to be viable.

Periodic "plotbooks" were also mentioned though what form they will take remains to be seen - I for one would like to see them follow System Failure's lead with lots of fiction and then some track style setup.

Blakkie - I forsee at least one more Magical skill group coming up with Enchanting rules in Street Magic.

Hmm. I for one would prefer for such predictable additional skills to be listed in the Core Book, but essentially left as "Rules to follow in a future supplement; in the meantime, may be used at GM's discretion."

A skill list in the Core Book ought to be as comprehensive as humanly possible, even if applications of those skills need to be left for future elaboration.

Too late now, I suppose.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Sep 13 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 13 2005, 04:05 AM)
Well at least there is a very good chance there won't be any new magical skills. The base 6 are intended to be used for all meta magics. No new Skill for each meta magic..

Unfortunately (or fortunately IMO), they set themselves up to re-introduce three magic skills - the Enchanting skill group.

I agree with the majority (for once) though, death to Small Unit Tactics!

+Quote Post
Synner
post Sep 13 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #12

Runner

QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern)
Hmm. I for one would prefer for such predictable additional skills to be listed in the Core Book, but essentially left as "Rules to follow in a future supplement; in the meantime, may be used at GM's discretion."

A skill list in the Core Book ought to be as comprehensive as humanly possible, even if applications of those skills need to be left for future elaboration.

You mean like Leadership?

But flippancy aside, there's only so much space and as is a lot more was crammed into the BBB than in previous editions. Few people would be satisfied with placeholder entries.

One thing Rob did announce was that he wanted to keep rules in the rules books. That should help minimize the problems of keeping track of them. Furthermore with a development policy which favors "plug ins" rather than patches and alternate subsets rules bloat should be minimized and streamlined.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Sep 13 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #13

Runner

QUOTE (NightmareX)
I agree with the majority (for once) though, death to Small Unit Tactics!

I'm seeing a lot of people assuming that were Small Unit Tactics to be revisited it would function in a similar way to SR3. This might not be the case.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 13 2005, 10:29 AM
Post #14

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (Synner)

With Arsenal, Leadership could become useful... just let it replace the old skill of Small Unit Tactics concerning combat boosts. ;)

QUOTE (Synner)
I'm seeing a lot of people assuming that were Small Unit Tactics to be revisited it would function in a similar way to SR3. This might not be the case.

Well, the favored function as a new Skill would be: not at all. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 13 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #15

Dragon

QUOTE (Synner)

Doesn't have to be. You could use Ritual Spellcasting and/or Binding along with Assensing for refining materials. Alchemy as a new aura type for specialization in Assensing, and Talismongering as new specialization for the other.

But a whole group you think? Why would you need a whole group?

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Sep 13 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

What Rotbart said. :)

+Quote Post
sapphire_wyvern
post Sep 13 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Synner @ Sep 13 2005, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern @ Sep 13 2005, 10:13 AM)

Hah. I trump your flippancy with deadly seriousness! :)

Yeah, I do mean like Leadership. It's never been made very crunchy. I would love it to be. But as you said, a book has finite space. I don't insist on all skills having crunch in the core, but I would much prefer for core skills to be crunchified in supplements than for whole new skills to be introduced.

I think it's reasonable for a core book to at least describe the existence of a domain of competency, even if its capabilities are not fleshed out. This allows players who want to use the rules that are coming out in future to peg a few points in there at character generation. Who knows, a GM might even homebrew some placeholder mechanics to go with the placeholder skill.

Players shouldn't open a book to find a new skill, that they have to buy from *zero*, that has never even been mentioned before.

You mentioned a "plug-in" design philosophy. This is a Good Thing. It would be even better if long-foreseen plug-ins already had a metaphorical "expansion slot" prepared for them in the core book. A very good job of this has been done by the new systems for tradition creation, spirit summoning, Initiation and Submersion in the core book. But dropping new skills (other than highly specialized Exotic-type skills) on PCs when they are established characters verges on rude.

To paraphrase the general philosophy of d20 skill mechanics: Don't make new skills. Make new *applications* for existing skills.

Consider: the vehicle mechanic skills are in the book. They have almost no mechanics (EDIT: rules, not greasy-handed technicians) associated with them. We don't need a vehicle-modding ruleset in the core book.

Enchanting/Talismongering-type skills' relationship to the mage is *exactly* analogous to Mechanic's relationship to the rigger. We don't need focus/fetish creation rules in a core book. The skills just need to *be there*.

Anyways, this is once again an entirely moot point of game design philosophy. <shrug> Better luck next time?

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Sep 13 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,598

artisan - might be the skill used for crafting the material componets of foci and the like (covers most/all craft & artistic skills iirc)

+Quote Post
Aku
post Sep 13 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #19

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

whats the point in writing the words to a skill, and amybe describing it, if the uses arent there. NO character would take talismongering (3) if they had no USE for those points, thus, when street magic DOES come out...they'll still be buying the skill from 0

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Sep 13 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

Dude, skills were left off to be introduced in later supplements?!?!?!

Hahahahahahahahah

Yeah, okay.

Enchantment, a core rules set since the beginning was left out. Nice.

There are a lot of things that have been mentioned about SR4 here at the forums that I just don't like. And a few that I actively hate.

But this. This ranks over there in the stupid column. Totally going against the 'design philophisy. Stream lined. Getting rid of rule bloat an creep. :please:

No, I never expected them to stick with that. Creep, bloat, whatever you want to call it will happen. And this crap of "Oh you just need the core book to play, the other books are not neccessary, unlees you want to enhance your play. :please: That is just crap. Anyone that plays SR with ANY regularity will end up buying the books. Why? "Well becuase new rule X in in Y book, and my players want it." Or, "Well I wan to use the Swordfish system introduced in the BLAHBLAHBLAH book, but the GM siad I have to buy the book."

Okay, tirade over. Vented and feel better. :sleepy:

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 13 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #21

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

There are always skills a char in my group wanted to have that aren't include in the BBB so i don't care. Back in SR3 it was "stealing a car" (you know, how to open it and start the engine withut the keys) and in SR4 it's "enchanting". No BBB is flawless. ;)

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 13 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #22

Dragon

QUOTE (Eldritch)
Enchantment, a core rules set since the beginning was left out. Nice.

If by core you mean Talismongering was in a core supplement, Magic In The Shadows then yes.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 13 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Eldritch)
Enchantment, a core rules set since the beginning was left out.

I don't recall Enchanting being in the Core Rules (BBB) for SR1 or SR2.

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Sep 13 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

Enchanting was not introduced until the first Grimoire. So, I rather think FanPro is just maintaining a tradition. ;)

+Quote Post
Synner
post Sep 13 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (Eldritch @ Sep 13 2005, 03:08 PM)
Enchantment, a core rules set since the beginning was  left out.  Nice.

Huh? When were the Enchanting rules in any of the base books (SR1 thru 3)? When did enchanting become core? Get off the soapbox and get your facts straight: SR1 introduced it in the Grimoire, SR2 updated it with Grimoire 2 and SR3 introduced it yet again in MitS.

One thing the SR4 base book does is cram more stuff into it than the SR3 BBB ever did but there's only so much space available.

But this.  This ranks over there in the stupid column.  Totally going against the 'design philophisy. Stream lined. Getting rid of rule bloat an creep.   :please:

Rules creep and bloat are only problems if new rules are not streamlined and previously planned to be seemlessly integrated, compatible, intuitive and follow the same core mechanic. This was never the case with SR3.

If as announced SR4 condenses the rules SR3 divided amongst 8 books in 5 AND manages to add new stuff while keeping everything consistent and integrated (and playing off the same core ruleset), I fail to see how you would consider that anything but streamlining.

No, I never expected them to stick with that.  Creep, bloat, whatever you want to call it will happen.  And this crap of "Oh you just need the core book to play, the other books are not neccessary, unlees you want to enhance your play.  :please: That is just crap.[

You do realize the same thing was said (and holds true) of the SR3 base book. You didn't need anything else, unless you wanted "to enhance your play". FanPro came right out and announced there would be more core rulebooks long before SR4 was released - and also said these would be integrated.

Anyone that plays SR with ANY regularity will end up buying the books.  Why?  "Well becuase new rule X in in Y book, and my players want it." Or, "Well I wan to use the Swordfish system introduced in the BLAHBLAHBLAH book, but the GM siad I have to buy the book."

What are you on about? On the same week SR4 was announced FanPro posted a link to their Winter 2005/06 catalogue which included Street Magic. The names for other core rulebooks have been known for months now. A (limited) number of core rule books was outlined at all the events and seminars FanPro held this year.

What did you think would be in a book called Street Magic that would be the SR4 replacement for Magic in the Shadows if not rules? Some Metamagic techniques were crammed into the BBB but what about the updates to the rest of the MitS rules, the Metamagics in MitS and the SOTAs and the adept powers?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.