Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Duel Natured Ghouls?, vamps and ghouls oh my
snowRaven
post Sep 14 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #26

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,516

Yeah...I never recall seeing anything about HMHVV being too small to be noticed - if it was, how would they have been able to identify and isolate all the various strains?

HMHVV = Vampire, Banshee, Wendigo, Dzoo-no-Qua, Goblin

HMHVV, Jarka-Criscione strain = Loup-Garou, Bandersnatch, Fomorian(non-vampiric)

HMHVV, Brucker-Langer strain = Nosferatu

HMHVV, Krieger stain = Ghoul(non-vampiric)

Then there are several variants and similar, that may or may not be different strains:

Sukuyan = Carribean vampire variant (needs salt as well as essence)

Abat, Boroka and Mangalok = Phillipine vampire variants that eat internal organs, and are vulnerable to salt.

Busaw = ghoul variant from the phillipines, allergic to citric acid.

Sasabonsam = ghoul variant from africa, with higher movement multiplier, run on four legs.

Chupacabras = tissue show a pattern similar to HMHVV, but they are not carriers.

And the official ruling on Ghouls and metahuman flesh can be found in the SR3 Shadowrun Companion, pg.32:

"They must consume approximately 1 percent of their body weight in metahuman flesh per week in order to maintain their health and get needed nutrition, but the bulk of a ghoul's diet may be any other kind of raw flesh. Ghouls find cooked meat indigestible; it can make them ill, just as raw meat does many metahumans."

And further down on the same page:

"Scientists have not yet managed to isolate the exact chemicals present in metahuman flesh that ghouls need to survive; a popular theory maintains that the ghouls' need for metahuman flesh has something to do with its metaphysical aura."

EDIT: Oh, and Ghouls are not the only dual-natured vampiric being: Bandersnatches are as well, and back in SR1 and SR2 so were Dzoo-no-Qua (though that seems to have disappeared in SR3 - strange...)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 14 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #27

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

And Dzoo-no-Qua are the only HMHVV infected trolls. You can't make a troll ghoul, those are human only, iirc.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 14 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #28

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Nikoli)
And Dzoo-no-Qua are the only HMHVV infected trolls. You can't make a troll ghoul, those are human only, iirc.

That was the original rules, yes.

But the 3e Companion came out with rules to stack ghoulishness on other metatypes. It was retarded.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Halabis
post Sep 14 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #29

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,773

Omg, I just agreed with Frank. /dies

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Sep 14 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #30

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Nikoli @ Sep 14 2005, 10:34 PM)
And Dzoo-no-Qua are the only HMHVV infected trolls.  You can't make a troll ghoul, those are human only, iirc.

You recall erroneously - trolls can be the following 'Infected':

Dzoo-no-Qua
Fomorian
Ghoul
Sasabonsam (ghoul variant)
Busaw (ghoul variant)

There is also a theoretical possibility that a troll nosferatu could exist, given the proper diet (see the novel Nosferatu) though that is unlikely, to say the least.

EDIT: And Frank, there was never anything stating that ghouls were human-only.
But there wasn't until shadowrun companion (at least SR3 edition - not sure about SR2 as I seem to have misplaced my copy of that book - maybe someone else can assist there?) until it was stated outrigfht that trolls and other metas could become ghouls. It was implied as soon as they stated that it was a virus, however (which was back in SR2)

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 14 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #31

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Ah, I always ran my games under the impression that the specific listings were the only types for the meta's and any other strain killed the host in a statisfyingly gruesome manner

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Sep 14 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #32

Shooting Target

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Halabis @ Sep 14 2005, 02:39 PM)
No where does it say that HMHVV is so small that it cant be seen or operated on.

I wish that was true.

The original tirade was indeed that HMHVV was too small to be detected using normal techniques. Which was dumb.

-Frank

Hmmm...

My SR1 rulebook says the following:

(pg. 188)
"Vampires are detectable biochemically by the Harz-Greenbaum blood series, or virologically by testing for presence of Human-Metahuman Vampiric Virus (HMHVV)."

Which implies that your statement is incorrect, or that they changed it later and then changed it back again.

Back then it wasn't confirmed that Wendigos and Banshees were vampiric, either - just hypothesized. (pages 189 and 179 of SR1, fifth printing, respectively).

Addendum: Regarding the ghouls being human only: SR1, pg.183 states: "They are a goblinized form of human or metahuman. So it was actually in there from the beginning that there troll ghouls existed. It also mentions life-expectandy as similar to its subspecies origin, so it's not a misprint or misinterpretation.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Sep 16 2005, 06:54 AM
Post #33

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

QUOTE (snowRaven)
Back then it wasn't confirmed that Wendigos and Banshees were vampiric, either - just hypothesized. (pages 189 and 179 of SR1, fifth printing, respectively).

You try getting a wendigo to sit still for a blood test. ;)

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Sep 16 2005, 07:40 AM
Post #34

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,741

I don't try. I shoot it in the head and take a blood sample before it bleeds out.

Also, I note that HMHVV-2 is missing from the list of HMHVVs. 2 is mentioned in the SR3 Creatures book. I don't have my printed copy on hand and cannot remember which creatures are infected with 2.

Now, for real fun, try pointing out where it says that people can play vampires in SR3. Pay special attention to the text of powers.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Sep 16 2005, 09:21 AM
Post #35

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

QUOTE (Sabosect)
I don't try. I shoot it in the head and take a blood sample before it bleeds out.

Damn, here I was hoping to see someone's arm get ripped off. :(

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Sep 16 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #36

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Sabosect)
Also, I note that HMHVV-2 is missing from the list of HMHVVs. 2 is mentioned in the SR3 Creatures book. I don't have my printed copy on hand and cannot remember which creatures are infected with 2.

Now, for real fun, try pointing out where it says that people can play vampires in SR3. Pay special attention to the text of powers.

Nope, HMHVV 2 is not missing from my list - HMHVV-2 is another name for the
Jarka-Criscione strain; that is, the one that produces completely non-vampiric vampires...

Hmmm, well I know where it says that players CAN'T play vampires...I know of no-where in SR3 it implies it does, however...you got me there.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:49 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.