Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FAB
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
LinaInverse
According to MitS p90, FAB can be killed with the Sterilize or Cure Disease spells or astral combat. However, can it be killed with other ways? Being a bacteria, is it susceptible to normal methods of sterilization? Ammonia/Chlorine Disinfectant? Boiling water (ie, dip an infected foci into a pot)? Flamethrower? Microwaves?

Since it's dual-natured, I would assume it can't just hide on the Astral while these methods are tried. What do the rule-fu folks think?
Jrayjoker
Can a ghoul hide out on the astral while you kill its body?

Dual natured is both at once with no separation.
blakkie
Read the description again, FAB is actually hard to keep alive. (sorry, i don't have my book handy for the reference) You can kill it just by ignoring it. biggrin.gif

Note: The airborne strains are more resiliant though.
LinaInverse
OK, I must not be making myself clear.

Do people believe that airborne FAB III can be killed by means other than spells and astral combat? Can it be killed with high-powered disinfectants or other conventional germ-killing methods like heat or radiation?
hyzmarca
That would be a yes. I would, however, allow the cloud to resist with it's Force. I wouldn't let Lysol or any other disinfectant that doesn't have a Power rating harm a FAB cloud larger than Force 0. Heat, however, will do nicely.
hahnsoo
It depends on what you consider Strain III to be, as there are discrepancies in canon between MitS p90 and the original entry in Threats, pp 99-104.

Going by MitS p90, it's a mutant variant of FAB, and it's dual-natured. I'm not quite following how a "cloud" of bacteria can move under its own power, unless telekinetic movement in air is part of the mutation. Being dual-natured, it has a physical component, and simple physical anti-bacterial measures should be able to take it out.

Going by the original entry in Threats, it's a virus unrelated to FAB, a mislabeled serendipitous experiment to make FAB stronger (the mislabeling is listed in column 2, p 103 of Threats). Being an Astral-only virus, you could only affect it by things that affect the astral plane, like the Sterilize spell and astral combat.

Note that under both rules, you can use astral-only measures to take it out... you just have more options if you go by the MitS ruling that it's a dual-natured bacteria cloud.
LinaInverse
To be fair, I wasn't talking about simple Lysol. I was thinking about using a hospital-grade disinfectant (ie, don't use w/o breathing filter or mask) or high-concentrate chlorine gas, both which are dangerous to breathe (and I would assume have some kind of power rating). Alternatively, in real-life, you can kill bacteria with a strong enough application of ultraviolet light or microwave radiation.
Ancient History
QUOTE (LinaInverse)
you can kill bacteria with a strong enough application of ultraviolet light

Except for FAB-UV!
Egon
I am sure that it is fairly easy to kill, but that is not really the point. FAB is the astral version of a chain link fence. It is just meant to make people think twice about climbing over and keep the dogs out.

I assume that FAB walls ar monitored by the same system that feed the stuff, and if a section up and dies some one would notice rather quickly.
the_dunner
QUOTE (LinaInverse)
To be fair, I wasn't talking about simple Lysol.  I was thinking about using a hospital-grade disinfectant

For the record -- Lysol IS a hospital grade disinfectant. It's also what's used in laboratories to kill virulent bacterial strains.
ShadowDragon8685
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that a FAB-III wall is more of a warning system than any real barrier. You can pick up effective countermeasures for about 2 nuyen.gif at the local Stuffer Shack.
Herald of Verjigorm
standard uses:
FAB I: Quick die spray that illuminates an outline of astral forms as the bacteria dies after foolishly astrally attacking it as a strength 0 body 0 dual natured entity.
FAB II: Wall form. More durable than FABI, but not feasible for the aerosol spray.
FAB III: Roaming clouds of death to many dual natured creatures. Virtually harmless to all others.
Velocity
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
FAB III: Roaming clouds of death to many dual natured creatures. Virtually harmless to all others.

Although even this material is easily destroyed by a mage with Stunball.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Velocity)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Sep 22 2005, 06:02 AM)
FAB III: Roaming clouds of death to many dual natured creatures.  Virtually harmless to all others.

Although even this material is easily destroyed by a mage with Stunball.

Or Joe Wageslave with a can of Lysol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012