Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Language of Choice
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Egon
With all the projects being started I just wondered what would people like to see things written in. Of corse its really up to the person who gets off their butt and writes something. If you want to go out and write the best Flotran dice roller ever damm the man and full speed ahead.
Kagetenshi
I voted Python, but Java or cross-platform C/C++ would work just as well—portability is key in my mind, as is not being a web app (exceptions made here if non-web versions are already available—optimal is a web/non-web pair that can tie into each other).

We need more programs written in B.

~J
Nikoli
My issues with python, I can't load it at work, so i can't use it at work. Which sucks cause my job is boring.
Fortune
I don't care, as long as things run on my windows-based laptop. smile.gif
Aku
hurray for flash!
Egon
QUOTE (Aku @ Sep 21 2005, 05:19 PM)
hurray for flash!

I kneel down before any one that can make flash work reliably. Your gods must be powerful its the only explanation.
Aku
well, i have a semi reliable working vehicle gen in flash thats still in production, because i'm a huge slacker lol
Nyxll
Flash works well for me ... I actually use the swift3d to create any applications. For example the micro runners. I still voted for php which is my web based language of choice.
Mr Cjelli
My vote is for python. In general I'd say it'd be best to go with a higher level language with a good cross platform gui package and strong web programming capabilities. Perl and ruby would work equally well I think.
Shadow_Prophet
I voted C# because thats what i'm doing it in. But I'd also chose c or c++, or if i was going to do a web based one ASP .NET where I could well, just use C# again easily. PHP is just too much of a pain to set up now that mysql is not enabled by default for me to realy want to deal with and or test.
Jrayjoker
I voted for Other, English specifically. Maybe a little Spanish too, if I have a good translater.

Python or C/C++ works too, if I'm not being sarcastic.

Excel based VB macros, anyone, anyone?
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
I voted for Other, English specifically. Maybe a little Spanish too, if I have a good translater.

Python or C/C++ works too, if I'm not being sarcastic.

Hrm well i'd actualy now that I think about it would prefer ancient egyptian. I think heiroglyphs would work alot better than these silly letters we have now.

And VBA *shudder* can do some fun stuff with it...but its still based in VB frown.gif
Jrayjoker
I know. I just use it at work. Inelegantly, I might add.wink.gif
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
I know. I just use it at work. Inelegantly, I might add.wink.gif

Well ofcourse you use it inelegantly wink.gif. Its VB based, theres no such thing as elegant with vb. wink.gif I mean afterall whats elegant about having multiple different key words to end a loop?
Slacker
QUOTE (Aku)
well, i have a semi reliable working vehicle gen in flash thats still in production, because i'm a huge slacker lol

Hey, quit taking my name and get back to work on the Vehicle Garage.
Aku
im not taking your name, i said huge slacker, that trumps your slacker, slacker.
Slacker
But I am the original Slacker, and you're just an imitator.

Though I might have to hand over the title to you with how slow you are going on the Garage. I did all the data entry for it in a couple weeks and you still haven't gotten more than the ATV working.
Aku
look at how pages of charts you had, of straight numbers.... then look at how many SECTIONS of items i have, with formula's i need to invent... i oughta kick you in the hoop for that one...
Slacker
Whatever, the pages you are doing are mostly filled with fluff, and pictures, with a few bits of little equations.

The pages and pages and pages of data I entered what packed full of information that absolutely had to be part of the program. Other than the category headings, virtually every single character on every one of the multitude of pages for chassis and powerplants had to be entered.

Can you say the same for the pages you're dealing with? nyahnyah.gif
Jrayjoker
Areyou guys married, or something? Get back to work! wink.gif
JesterX
See Sharp... It's clean, fast, efficient, it runs under Linux (with MONO) and Windows...

The development cycle is MUCH shorter also... And it's easy to learn.
Aku
i can say that i have to READ every entry, because they werent nice enough to put a little block in the stats for Adjustments that i can just refer to to figure out what each thing does, if anything, mechanically.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (JesterX)
See Sharp... It's clean, fast, efficient, it runs under Linux (with MONO) and Windows...

The development cycle is MUCH shorter also... And it's easy to learn.

C # ...C # run
Slacker
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)

LOL. Actually, I've never even met him. I just have fun harrassing him in the threads. He actually is working on the Garage program as I type this, so apparently my harrassments have some effect. smile.gif

QUOTE (Aku)
i can say that i have to READ every entry,

Oh come on, like it takes all that much effort to READ a few lines for each option. Get back to work you Lazy Bum.
That is your new name, Lazy Bum. You aren't worthy of the glorious name Slacker.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Slacker)
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Sep 22 2005, 09:58 AM)

LOL. Actually, I've never even met him. I just have fun harrassing him in the threads. He actually is working on the Garage program as I type this, so apparently my harrassments have some effect. smile.gif

QUOTE (Aku)
i can say that i have to READ every entry,

Oh come on, like it takes all that much effort to READ a few lines for each option. Get back to work you Lazy Bum.
That is your new name, Lazy Bum. You aren't worthy of the glorious name Slacker.

When you put it that way i'm not sure you're worthy of the title of slacker, especialy after all that hard work you put into that data entry in such a short period of time wink.gif
Slacker
Well I wasn't going to mention it but all I really did was OCR'd the data and slapped it into the code format Aku wanted.
Aku
zzzzzz BURN!
Slacker
QUOTE (Aku)
zzzzzz BURN!

Oh be quiet and get back to work. You don't have time to browse the forums.
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)

Hey, don't laugh at VBA/Excel Macros. I rely heavily on them in my Excel character generator projects. The problem, of course, is that not everyone running Excel has the same version of VBA. The last time I took the project to someone else's machine there were substantial compatibility issues. Oh well, it's really just for me anyway. =) Oh, did I say that outloud?
Taran
I picked Lisp, but any language with closures (Ruby or Python, for instance) would do just as well. Doing UI in a language without first-class callbacks, or at the very least function pointers (anonymous inner classes do not count), seems like an exercise in masochism to me. Lisp is faster than the other two I named, but lacks cross-platform GUI components and a good interface to Tcl.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012