Type: P • Range: LOS • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 2
Turn to Goo transforms living tissue into a sticky, gluelike
substance. The caster must win an Opposed Test pitting
her Magic + Spellcasting against the target’s Body (+
Counterspelling). Additionally, the spell’s Force must equal
or exceed the target’s Body. Non-living material—including
clothing, gear, and cyberware—is not affected. The target is
not conscious while under the effects of this spell, and any
damage suffered by the gooey form affects the target normally.
The goo has a barrier Armor rating equal to Body +
net hits (see Barriers, p. 157).

My mage showed me this along with his interruption and I almost s**t my self. This spell turns your flesh to goo, but not your cyberware. They wonder why Sams geek the mage as quick as they can, with as much overkill as they can muster.

Example: Mage sees human street sam pumped up with headware and speedware. Uses Turn to Goo force 5 takes a few boxes of stun. Walks over and scoops 200,000 of cyberware out of the goo. Releases the spell and tries to stop laughing at the now blind, death , one armed man in front of him as he walks off to pawn his bag of cyberware.

I would like to know what moron thought this was a good idea. This really keeps the game balanced. Things like this need to stop popping up in the magic sections of shadowrun books so I can stop having arguments with mages. The magic sections of book should be the hardest looked at for unbalancing items. I can’t use the laws of physics to explain why this can’t be done. Common sense doesn’t apply to magic so it would really help if the editor would keep things like this out of the main book.
calypso
They aren't goo in the sense that you can scoop cyberware out of them. Notice that the "goo" they turn into has a barrier rating of their body + your net hits. You're still gonna have to cut them open to get their ware out, which is going to kill them.

Calypso
Egon
QUOTE (calypso)
They aren't goo in the sense that you can scoop cyberware out of them. Notice that the "goo" they turn into has a barrier rating of their body + your net hits. You're still gonna have to cut them open to get their ware out, which is going to kill them.

I guess that is the best way you could look at it. Let me follow up with what my group do after I explain to them they can't take the cyberware out of the goo.

I hit his Cybereyes, or cyber what ever, with a hamer. Goo is flexable and cyberware isn't right, and that barrier rating is just to harm the body right...
evil1i
QUOTE (Egon)
I hit his Cybereyes, or cyber what ever, with a hammer. Goo is flexable and cyberware isn't right, and that barrier rating is just to harm the body right...

It is always amazing the way some spells can be used in a manner unlike they were neccesarily intended. I can remember the fun of stopping target vehicles by turning the driver into a Saint Bernard/Mastif/Poodle/Other appropriately sized dog long enough for them to crash then let the spell drop. With turn to goo I can see people getting turned to goo and then having their arms tied in knots then letting the spell drop.
hyzmarca
Scoop the goo up into a plastic bag, dump it out into airtight coffin filled with flesh-eating anaerobic bacteria, drop the spell. Open up the coffin in a few weeks add some flesh eating worms if there are any bits of sammie left.
Oracle
I dislike this spell. I think it does not fit to the established canon. As far as I know cyberware counts as being "natural part of the body" for the purpose of transforming its owner because he/she/it has paid for it with essence. That's why all shapechanging spells (except from turn to goo) transform the metal with the meat. In my game cyberware will be transformed to goo like the rest of the body. Period. wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
I'm not a big fan of insta-kill spells anyway, which is waht this spell amounts to. Even transform is a bit much, but hey can at least peck you when you turn them into a chicken, ot RUN AWAY! Sure oyu can blast someone into oblivion with a manabolt, but it's not "if they're affected, they're dead". I hate those. PC's loving the spell? Use it on them for a while, then out law the damn thing in your game. I think I'll just drop it form the get go.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Oracle)
I dislike this spell. I think it does not fit to the established canon. As far as I know cyberware counts as being "natural part of the body" for the purpose of transforming its owner because he/she/it has paid for it with essence.

Indeed - the very existence of this spell is a can of worms in implications.

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Even transform is a bit much, but hey can at least peck you when you turn them into a chicken, ot RUN AWAY!

Hey, he could also fly. grinbig.gif
fistandantilus4.0
chickens don't fly. Their evil malevolence (not just regular malevolence mind you) simply allows them to rise form the ground a short distance. Say.. to a barn roof or a mges head for a good peckin'
NightmareX
QUOTE (Oracle)
I dislike this spell. I think it does not fit to the established canon.

Heh. This one's actually been a part of cannon since 1st edition. Personally, I'm glad to see it back. cool.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (NightmareX)
This one's actually been a part of cannon since 1st edition.

Actually, this is why it does not fit into SR3 or SR4 - tremendous shifts in magic paradigm.
Oracle
I think they removed it from canon with good reason.
mintcar
The drain for a decent transform spell in SR3 was devestating. I´ve had mages become very disapointed that the spell they chose was in reality no good because of the massive drain. Now it seems you only need force 1 with that spell, so the drain wont be much to worry about at all. With Turn to Goo you actually win by settling for a low force (if target has no counterspell and less than amazing Body), because that will limit your successes and thus the barrier rating of the goo.

What about setting a minimum force for spells like this? That way they are dangerous to even attempt if you have a low Magic attribute, and they become a bit more costly even for practiced magicans. A minimum force would also send a clear message to starting mages that these spells are not for beginners.
Rotbart van Dainig
Actually, a Force 1 spell usually is a good example on the application of the rule for Buying Hits:
QUOTE (SR4 p. 174 Spellcasting)
The hits scored on the Spellcasting Test may not exceed the spell’s Force (see Force, p. 171).

For both the caster and the victim.
mintcar
Yes but with Shapechange, there is no real reason for wanting more hits. They add 1 to the attributes of the animal, but those attributes are way high already. And if you target an unprotected Body 4 person with Turn to Goo, you only need Force 2 or maybe 3 to be fairly certain of success.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Oracle)
I think they removed it from canon with good reason.

The same could be stated about Petrify, although they left that one in. Really, the two spells aren't that different in their net effect.
Rotbart van Dainig
Considering how important Attributes are in SR4, Shapechange is quite a powerful spell on higher Force. wink.gif

As for TtG - indeed, Magic has become much harder to resist.
mintcar
It´s an EXTREMELY powerful spell on Force 1! That´s the point. Critter Form Shapechange to great cat= B 6 A 5 R 4 S 5, 2 Initiative passes! all this at force 1 and for 2 boxes of drain.
Rotbart van Dainig
Actually, that already would provide a bonus of +1... but it's nothing compared to the Tiger-on-Steroids Force 5 produces... for a Drain of 4.
mintcar
That will obviously not be the case in my game. I´m thinking 1 hit = gimped version with -1, 2 hits = ratings as they stand and all hits above that = bonus. If that´s not enough I guess a threshold based on body difference on top of that would do it. And I´m slamming a minimum 6 force on TtG (or +4 drain maybe).
Fortune
Neither Turn To Goo nor Petrify exist in my games.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Fortune)
Neither Turn To Goo nor Petrify exist in my games.

To each their own. I've never had a problem with them. Then again, most of my players tend to shy away from magic (except adepts) frown.gif
Fortune
Probably 75% of the characters I play are awakened, usually spellcasters, and by choice I have never used either of those spells (even in games that allow them). They just feel cheesy, and in my opinion, don't really fit with the rest of the magic system.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Fortune)
Probably 75% of the characters I play are awakened, usually spellcasters, and by choice I have never used either of those spells (even in games that allow them). They just feel cheesy, and in my opinion, don't really fit with the rest of the magic system.

Same goes for me, I also tend to be the resident "magic guy" of the group. Never used petrify but I do like turn to goo on occasion. smile.gif
Ancient History
Petrify has a long and honorable history, but I've always been particularly fond of ye olde Bug Barrier. Well, that and using Ignite to set their hair on fire.
calypso
Just a couple things:

Shapechange can only be cast on voluntary subjects, so no more turning drivers into St. Bernards.

Petrify is IDENTICAL IN VERY WAY to Turn To Goo. I don't understand why.

They're way too easy for insta-kill spells (because that's what they are).

Calypso
Nikoli
So is levitate when used properly, so we can't have that anymore now?
calypso
QUOTE (Nikoli)
So is levitate when used properly, so we can't have that anymore now?

I'm pretty sure I never said you can't have Turn to Goo. Did I say you can't have Turn to Goo? Please point out where I said you can't have Turn to Goo.

Anyway, killing someone with Levitate takes finesse. I think increasing the drain on Turn to Goo and Petrify would help, plus I do agree that cyberware should be affected as well.

Calypso
Nikoli
Fair enough, but a lot of folks have said because they are instant kill, they shouldn't be in the game. I was just pointing out that almost any spell, properly applied can be deadly with little recourse. Plus I can see some useful non-lethal uses for petrify and turn to goo. Especially petrify, handy way to transport a kidnap victem if they look like all the other greek style statuettes in the back of the truck.

But I also agree that either the cyber/bioware should be changed as well or they shouldn't be with other voluntary transform spells.
Azralon
"Save or Die" spells have always been my least favorite when on the receiving end, but viciously satisfying when I'm the one casting them.

TtG seems to be one of those that requires a focus to cast reliably. I mean, the Force has to be at least your target's Body (which can be a rough trial-and-error guessing game unto itself) and then you need to make a threshold based off of their Body yet again. The threshold likely isn't going to be too hard to beat, but it does offer another stackable chance of failure.

Obviously people are going to prefer to drop this on humans and elves rather than any of the tougher metatypes. So you're (possibly) restricted yet again by preferred targets. Could be just me, though; I'm the kinda guy who's a wuss about casual drain until the drek hits the fan, then drain be damned. I'll happily take 9 boxes of Physical drain if it means I get to live another day.

I'm not saying the spell isn't potentially powerful, just like I'm not saying the Panther cannon isn't potentially powerful.
Reaver
QUOTE (mintcar)
Yes but with Shapechange, there is no real reason for wanting more hits. They add 1 to the attributes of the animal, but those attributes are way high already. And if you target an unprotected Body 4 person with Turn to Goo, you only need Force 2 or maybe 3 to be fairly certain of success.

Actually, you are incorrect. Read the spell. You cannot affect a person with a Body of 4 with anything less than a Force 4 Turn to Goo spell. The force has to equal or succeed the targets Body to work. So, the spell is not that powerful. wink.gif
FrankTrollman
I don't understand the problem with Save or Die type spells. At least you get a Save. Even a body 4 Triad Posse member has a significant chance of simply resisting your spell cast at any force (since even a hardcore mage averages only 4 hits, and a body 4 character gets 4 hits 1 in 81 times).

Compare to a full auto burst from a Sub Machine Gun. That's 18D (or more), thank you very much. I don't care what kind of armor you have on, you just aren't going to survive that. Shadowrun is really deadly, and it always has been (well, except in 1st edition). The ability to probably kill a guy in one shot is just not that impressive when people actually can use rocket launchers if that's what they want to do.

Heck, a petrify or TtG is a sustained spell. That means that you take actual dice pool penalties for every dude you spent an entire complex action to probably kill in the fight.

-Frank
Egon
QUOTE (Reaver)
QUOTE (mintcar @ Sep 28 2005, 02:01 AM)

Actually, you are incorrect. Read the spell. You cannot affect a person with a Body of 4 with anything less than a Force 4 Turn to Goo spell. The force has to equal or succeed the targets Body to work. So, the spell is not that powerful. wink.gif

ah but this is SR4 not SR3. Most people wont have a body above 4. In SR3 Petrify was offensively useless for the most part because everyone ether:

a) had a body of 8 or more
b) was a mage and had shielding
c) wasn't worth the drain because they were a real smuck
d) had already rolled 1s on all their int dice and are still going 20 segments before you; blowing your head off
Azralon
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
I don't understand the problem with Save or Die type spells.

More of a peeve than a problem, in my eyes.

"Save or Die" eliminates much of the drama of a fight. They're entirely justified in their existence, mind you; it's just that they aren't as much fun when you're on the receiving end.

You: *BLAM* you're dead.
NPC: Aiee! I am slain! <crumple>
Your Team: Yay for our mage!

.... That's fun.

NPC: *BLAM* you're dead.
You: Uh, I.... uh. Well, crap. I guess I'll be in the kitchen, guys.
Your Team: Can we heal him or something?
GM: Nope, sorry. He's meat now.

.... That ain't.

But, if you're going to give an ability to the PCs, then in all fairness it needs to be available (in some form) to the NPCs. Goose & gander.

Direct damage attacks lend to more drama and potentially more fun. It's cool and heroic when your massively-injured character still manages to drop an opponent. It's satisfying for the healer to rush over and tend to your wounds so you can keep fighting. It's nice when the armor you spent so much money on literally saves your life.

Those are my objections to Save or Die as a holistic concept.

Now, SR4 does SoD better than average in that Turn to Goo is a sustained spell, meaning the baddie using it on you has given himself at least -2 penalties (plus Drain taken) for the luxury of incapacitating you... provided he guessed correctly what Body rating you had... provided you didn't spend Edge to negate his spell... and provided he didn't knock himself out in the attempt. Also, if a teammate cacks the offending mage, then he certainly won't be sustaining the spell any more.

So TtG is icky, but it's not gamebreaking any more than a sniper rifle is.
Nikoli
Actually, a sniper rifle, properly applied is more game breaking than TtG.
If you are unaware of the attack you don't get to dodge, the attack is assumed to have hit and you merely roll to determine final damage. Potentially very nasty when combined with called shots.
mintcar
QUOTE (Reaver @ Sep 28 2005, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE (mintcar @ Sep 28 2005, 02:01 AM)

I saw that now. What a relief! smile.gif

In the best scenario they would have made spell power comparable by force rating. That is, all spells of the same force rating would be as good, roughly. Spells with a fixed, non-scalable effect would have had a fixed force. That way people could easily know what spells were suitable for their level of power. It would be nearly as flexable as the current system, but much more forseeable. Sort of like a combination of the best parts of sr and d&d systems. That´s not what they did though. It´s still impossible to easily predict the ballance between the team spellcaster and the NPC´s I make for him to fight.

This is an area that I would have liked to see stream-lined.
mintcar
If your character is hit by a sniper shot, I guess Edge is all that can save him. That is as it should be.

Turn to Goo is only a cool spell if in the hands of the archenemy archmage archrival, accompanied by a trademark evil laugh (or something). I can see it becoming very frustrating and silly if it was in the hands of a player character. I mean, how fun can it be having enemies turn into puddles of glue, time and again? That´s the real reason why it should have terrifying drain. So that it´s not overused. If it´s the best way to take out the enemy and not very draining, it´s hard not to use it even from a roleplaying perspective.
Egon
Turn to Goo (Physical)
clothing, gear, and cyberware—is not affected

The target isnot conscious while under the effects of this spell, 
and anydamage suffered by the gooey form affects the target 
normally. The goo has a barrier Armor rating equal to Body +

What about the not affecting cyberware? I though it had been accepted that if you paid essence for it it was a part of your body and could not be targeted by magic by its self.

What kind of pile of goo is it?
Is the cyberware just floating on top waiting to be picked up?
Is the cyberware uninstalled by the spell?
Is the cyberware in the goo and protected by it?
If I have a cyberarm can use it to fire a gun at the mage that gooed me, and if so what are the vision mods for being a pile of goo?

wobble.gif wobble.gif wobble.gif
Earthwalker
I wonder how being goo effects a technomancers abilities ?
Nikoli
probably turns them "off" while transformed.
calypso
QUOTE (Earthwalker)

That depends. Can they use their abilities while unconscious? Because Turn to Goo renders the target unconscious.

Calypso
Egon
QUOTE (Earthwalker)

Fear me, I am the unkillable technomancer that lives in the troll's camel back. grinbig.gif
Azralon
I just like the idea of toting your kidnapping victim around in a beer keg.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Egon)
Turn to Goo (Physical)
clothing, gear, and cyberware—is not affected

The target isnot conscious while under the effects of this spell, 
and anydamage suffered by the gooey form affects the target 
normally. The goo has a barrier Armor rating equal to Body +

What about the not affecting cyberware? I though it had been accepted that if you paid essence for it it was a part of your body and could not be targeted by magic by its self.

Moreover, if we're calling the cyberware non-living material, does that mean that the outer layer of skin, most hair, fingernail, etc. will not turn to goo? Does this become an overly-complicated but relatively effective debriding method (turn someone to goo, then scrape off everything left in the injured area)?

~J
Siege
The one blurb requiring a Force greater than or equal to the Target's Body is enough to make it less effective than a StunBolt for an absurd return.

My mage took "Petrify" expressly for harvesting cyberware - trying to use it in a combat scenario is way too risky when other, more effective spells can be employed.

-Siege
blakkie
The toughest part about the limitation of Force >= Body isn't casting at your spell at a Force equal to your opponent's Body, it is trying to guess what your opponent's Body is and how much extra Force to risk vs. the risk of wasting the casting.
snowRaven
QUOTE (blakkie)
The toughest part about the limitation of Force >= Body isn't casting at your spell at a Force equal to your opponent's Body, it is trying to guess what your opponent's Body is and how much extra Force to risk vs. the risk of wasting the casting.

...which would be an excellent use for that 'Judge Metahuman Physique' knowledge skill... grinbig.gif
Fizzygoo
Um...yeah...well...I kinda like the spell...

"MINIONS OF 'DA GOO ARISE!"
jervinator
Don't bother getting tricky unless you are God. Just get your opponent immobile, unconcious or dead ASAP and leave the tricks to the Great Dragons.
calypso
Ignite is vicious. Unfortunately, you have to sustain it Force rounds before it even does anything. So, not particularly good in the middle of combat.

Calypso
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012