Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
MachineProphet
Those who followed my 'vicious vengeance' topic over on the main board are probably familiar with me by now. But anyway, here's the skivvy. I love to GM, but the real-life fix isn't cutting it and I like doing things over the computer better (I type exameters better than I speak). Anybody who can get over my drastic personality flaws will most certainly find an interesting and exciting game of Shadowrun. I'd like to get 3-4 players in on it, I have AOL/AIM and Yahoo Messanger (I prefer the former, but if I get a bunch of people who are like, only Yahoo!, then I don't mind), and I'm thinking of going on Sunday nights, but that's by no means set in stone if I find people who really like weeknights.

As for my personal specifications, I have a really, really steep thing against characters who can act totally without remorse. Characters will go on 120 building points. I own CC, MaM, R3, MitS, SC, and the Critters book. I believe in ignoring 'advanced' rules as much as possible, since I don't possess that solid of a command over the general rules as it stands.

Anybody who is interested is encouraged to reply.
Reaper
I might be interested in playing, but some more information would be helpful. Setting, specifically, and whether a troll samurai who used to be a moderately successful writer will mesh with the game you have in mind.

I can be reached at semi-random times of day on Yahoo or AIM as Odin442 or Asmadi442, respectively.
MachineProphet
Hmm . . . I have no game in mind just yet. I have a few ideas, of course, but I figured I'd let the fetters of my characters carry them. I plan for the game to take place in Seattle in 2060, and although I like to keep abreast of major events in the canon, I like to make up little details as I go along. Every street in every game I'm in will be NUMBERED. A little jaunt through Dusseldorf completly changed my perspective on address systems.

But yes, I have no set plan for my game, like, this is a major NPC and these are major players and whatnot. I figured I'd let your characters inspire me, and see what would surround them.
MrSandman666
So, did I get that right? You're playing via Instant Messaging systems? If you where playing via this board, I'd be interested. I was about to create a new version of my favorite character anyways (might turn out to be a different character in the end, we'll see)

Anyhoo, if you wanna play here on the boards, just tell us what kind of characters you're interested in, so I can see whether I have a suitale character at hand, and I'm in.
HMHVV Hunter
If you play on the boards, I'll be interested.

As for characters, I had a character based on one of the McManus brothers from "the Boondock Saints" that I thought would be cool.
MachineProphet
Hmm . . . The thing is, I have no idea how playing on a message board would work, unless you were posting rapid-fire enough that it would resemble conversation. I'll make a point of looking at the ones happening right now, but any short and to-the-point explanation would be more than cherished.

And I'm still waiting for somebody to ask me about my signature.
Fygg Nuuton
totally interested, population, me

of course i prefer chat over message boards or email
HMHVV Hunter
I prefer the boards, mainly because I never know how to get into an AIM chat rooma nd I don't have IRC.
Fygg Nuuton
i dont know how to use irc lol

anyway i prefer msn because you can make a chat with your buddies, and you can use whiteboard if you want. very cool when combined with a mic and camera
Street Wyze
I have AOL and I have enjoyed playing on it before. I would be very interested in playing a campaign. How can I show you a character?
Fygg Nuuton
i was going to email you about creation and my character, but since its private, could you email me?
MachineProphet
Anybody who feels like e-mailing me, my address is Terraghis@aol.com. It's in my profile.
Kurb
First off I'm very interested in playing, I have Yahoo! right now, but I can download AIM if needed. I will create a character for the game based off your rules and email it to you. Is it okay if I use NSRCG and send it as a .sr3 file or is there another way you rather have it?

Oh and I'm very interested in what your signature says/means.

Kurb
MachineProphet
NSRCG works fine for me, as does plain text.

Oh and I'm very interested in what your signature says/means.

Finally! It's in Gehsar'ko - an artificial language, the product of being a geek with way too much time on his hands. What it means is . . .
"I am the Prophet, I am the Prophet of the Machine,
Hear my words, they will change the world.
For good or for bad, I cannot tell . . ."
MrSandman666
So, as nobody has really bothered to describe what gaming on the boards is like, I'll do it.

Basically, it's much slower than a real-life game where you're sitting around a table with your buddies. It's also much slower than a game played over real-time chat.
It's pretty much like any other online RPG. (PBEM style, not MMORPG style, mind you). The GM posts a description, the players respond as they please. There are usually two different threads per game. One for in character and one for out of character discussion. When fighting or doing something else where timing is essential you switch to turn-based playing, meaning, after each post the GM announces who is the next player to post.
Of course this is pretty slow and bears the danger to slow to a crawl and eventually die completely when the players lose interest (which, in any case, shouldn't happen if the GM makes it worthwhile and exiting). However, it also takes the pressure off you to type as fast as possible to get your action in on time and you can really take the time to write long, elaborate, almost artful posts. I'm stunned when I see what some of the people around here produce in the online games.
Also, everyone can post at their leisure, whenever they have time. You don't have to come up with a certain time for everyone to be online, which is pretty difficult since real-life oftentimes interferes and people live in different time-zones and all. When somebody in America would want to play with me in the evening I would have to pass since its around midnight where I live.
This is why I prefer playing here on the boards.
MachineProphet
Alright. So far, I have two character submissions - an Ork street sam and a phoenix shaman. The more I ponder, I'm going to put one limitation on your characters - they all must have a common fixer, so I have some tangible way to link them together.

I'd like to get two more characters, maybe one of whom who decks.
MachineProphet
Alright, that's three guys. I have one slot left, preferably for somebody who decks and has a lot of patience. Who's up for it?
Kurb
I'll send you a decker as soon as I create it.
HMHVV Hunter
That third one is my character, I take it?
MachineProphet
That third one is my character, I take it?

None other, and he's a slammin' character.

Well, if somebody else is sending me a decker, then that closes it! I'll e-mail you all with starting times when I get the last character.
Street Wyze
Anybody have a cool fixer contact that we can use as our common fixer?
Kurb
I've sent the decker to you...i left the Fixer contact generic waiting for a common fixer name to fill in. I have used a fixer named Tiger a few times...he's well known in Seattle, owns Tiger's Palace on 4th Street.
Digital Heroin
If there's room... I'd like to try my hand at my triumphant return to board play... I was out for a long while due to getting used to military life, but I'm stable now, for at least a year...

Got a character in mind too, plain old human... no magic, no 'ware... a purist... a cultured hitman who's got a few repressed problems... if it's cool, then right on... just let me know, I'm making the character atm...
Street Wyze
This game isn't going to be played on the boards, dude. sarcastic.gif
Street Wyze
Umm, if I live in the Central time zone, is the game still starting at 9:00pm for me?
MachineProphet
QUOTE (Street Wyze)
Umm, if I live in the Central time zone, is the game still starting at 9:00pm for me?

No, it'll be at 9:00 PM for me, because I live in Miami. It'll be at 8:00 PM for you because you live in Central Time.
Street Wyze
Thanks Dude, I didn't catch what time zone the game was going to be in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012