Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soaking spell damage?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nova
I am pretty sure I know the answer but...

If a mage casts a (non-elemental) combat spell that is resisted by body, does the target get a soak roll against the damage if they do not roll sufficiently well on the resistance test to offset the entire spell? Or is the resistance test your only chance to avoid the spell, and the damage then gets dealt directly with no chance to soak?

Thanks in advance,

Nova

Fortune
For a direct damage Combat spell like Powerball, the Resistance Roll is it. Either hope for equal or better successes as the caster (good luck!), or get ready to take some damage.

Spells like Manabolt work exactly the same, but use Willpower to resist instead of Body.
Nova
Thankyou for the excellent and really fast reply, Fortune.

I will recommend you to all my friends with shadowrun rules clarifications needs.

Nova
(This was not sarcastic)
Fortune
Right place, right time, but you're welcome anyway. smile.gif
SkeevePlowse
On a corollary to this, do combat spells such as Manabolt and Stunbolt stage up? If I cast a F4-Moderate manabolt, I get four successes, and my target only gets two, did I just deal a Moderate wound or a Serious one?
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (SkeevePlowse)
On a corollary to this, do combat spells such as Manabolt and Stunbolt stage up? If I cast a F4-Moderate manabolt, I get four successes, and my target only gets two, did I just deal a Moderate wound or a Serious one?

We have been doing it as Serious.
Grinder
We did so too. Every two net successes of the caster increase the damage level by one.
Velocity
"Doing it like that" is canon, FYI:

"If the caster generates more successes [on their Spell Resistance roll], the spell has an effect. The spell's effect is measured as the difference between the caster's successes and the target's. Consult the description of the spell for specific effects. For any spells that damage the target, stage up the Damage Level for every 2 net successes." (Shadowrun 3rd Ed., p. 183. Emphasis mine.)
John Campbell
QUOTE (SkeevePlowse)
On a corollary to this, do combat spells such as Manabolt and Stunbolt stage up?  If I cast a F4-Moderate manabolt, I get four successes, and my target only gets two, did I just deal a Moderate wound or a Serious one?

Serious.

The trickier question is: If you get four successes and your target gets three, do you do Moderate or Serious?

(The answer is "Moderate". Damage is staged up by net successes, not staged up by the caster's successes then staged back down by the target's.)
Grinder
As i said smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012