Full Version: New Skillgroup
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gothic Rose
I've been contemplating, and I think this is a good idea - a new skillgroup:

Pilot Skill Group
Pilot Aircraft
Pilot Groundcraft
Pilot Watercraft

I think it makes SENSE for pilots to be in a skill group - at least the "basics" as above. I don't think it would be a big deal if Pilot Aerospace was included, either. Or even Anthroform.
Turjon Apocritus
I don't think those skills are related enough to make a skill group out of it. The knowledge and skill to drive or "pilot" each one is so drastic i think they are better as seperate. IMO
Ancient History
<scritch, scritch> Nah. That's what autopilot is for.
Eyeless Blond
Heh. Maybe:

Gundam Skill Group
Pilot Aircraft
Pilot Aeorspace
Pilot Anthroform

smile.gif
Teulisch
you forgot gunnery wink.gif
FrankTrollman
And blades.

-Frank
Eyeless Blond
Well I kinda meant Gundam Pilot skill group. It would be unbalanced to have everything needed to be a Gundam pilot in one skill group, otherwise you'd have to include the Angsting active skill, the How To Be An Annoying Bishonen knowledge skill, and a whole lot of skills related to being a millitary genius with the emotional capabilities of a 12-year old. smile.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
I think it makes SENSE for pilots to be in a skill group - at least the "basics" as above.

Because, after all, being skilled at dampening a plane's phugoid oscillations after hitting a patch of turbulent air will certainly make you better at handling your SUV off-road, and being good at pulling a bootlegger reverse in your sportscar lets you pull off the same stunt without capsizing your speedboat.
sarcastic.gif
Lilt
Come now, RunnerPaul, I actually think that some form of piloting skill group makes more sense than some of the initial skill groups. I mean, Outdoors? Stealth?

The skill group implying that you have an understanding of the physics and forces involved when piloting a range of vehicles. Given that much of this piloting can be done through unified interfaces, I don't think it's all that farfetched. Think about how some computer games have similar control sets for completely different vehicles. Of-course the difficulty to control will vary from craft to craft, but that's why there's a handling rating.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Gothic Rose @ Nov 26 2005, 12:50 PM)
I think it makes SENSE for pilots to be in a skill group - at least the "basics" as above.

Because, after all, being skilled at dampening a plane's phugoid oscillations after hitting a patch of turbulent air will certainly make you better at handling your SUV off-road, and being good at pulling a bootlegger reverse in your sportscar lets you pull off the same stunt without capsizing your speedboat.
sarcastic.gif

Yes.

Especially in a game that uses abstract concepts. Like Shadowrun. Remember in SR3, how you could default to from one PILOT skill to ANOTHER PILOT skill? Same principle. Since SR4 has no defaulting from one skill to another, a skill group is the next best thing.
blakkie
IMO Pilot Groundcraft is already damn near a Skill Group purchasd at Skill price.
Tanka
QUOTE (blakkie)
IMO Pilot Groundcraft is already damn near a Skill Group purchasd at Skill price.

Just about.

Driving a car and driving a semi require two separate licenses for a reason.
tisoz
QUOTE (tanka @ Nov 26 2005, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 26 2005, 08:37 PM)

Just about.

I know what you mean, but the CDL allows driving a semi and a car. The CDL still requires a motorcycle endorsement to drive a motorcycle.

QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
Remember in SR3, how you could default to from one PILOT skill to ANOTHER PILOT skill?

Uhm, no. I remember defaulting within a skill group, however that did not include defaulting from Car to Bike or Sailboat to Motorboat.

Gotta agree, Pilot Groundcraft was huge savings for a rigger type over SR3.
Tanka
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (tanka @ Nov 26 2005, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 26 2005, 08:37 PM)

Just about.

I know what you mean, but the CDL allows driving a semi and a car. The CDL still requires a motorcycle endorsement to drive a motorcycle.

True enough, but driving a semi and a car are still different. nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
Remember in SR3, how you could default to from one PILOT skill to ANOTHER PILOT skill?

Uhm, no. I remember defaulting within a skill group, however that did not include defaulting from Car to Bike or Sailboat to Motorboat.

Gotta agree, Pilot Groundcraft was huge savings for a rigger type over SR3.

Hell yes. Being a Rigger in 3rd was a huge pain in the ass. If you had more than a few drones, you only had a skill of 2 or 3 in each and every vehicle type. And that's if you didn't do all your own build/repair bits. Ugh, the headache.

Also; you couldn't default to another vehicle skill. Just to Reaction.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (tanka)

Also; you couldn't default to another vehicle skill. Just to Reaction.

I thought you could if you had a VCR? Or some other bit of ware?
Tanka
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
QUOTE (tanka @ Nov 26 2005, 08:48 PM)

Also; you couldn't default to another vehicle skill.  Just to Reaction.

I thought you could if you had a VCR? Or some other bit of ware?

Nope.
Eyeless Blond
The VCR let you default to (enhanced) Reaction just as cheaply as if you were defaulting to another skill. It was another reason why being the driver without a VCR was basically suicide.
blakkie
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Nov 26 2005, 11:33 PM)
The VCR let you default to (enhanced) Reaction just as cheaply as if you were defaulting to another skill. It was another reason why being the driver without a VCR was basically suicide.

LOL, no kidding. Defaulting with the VCR was scary enough, Defaulting w/o a VCR made it a sure lock that any meaningful driving or Crash test lead to you "freezing up under pressure"....or however your GM chose to describe you not even being allowed to roll against a TN > 8. dead.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012