Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Next time you need to shoot off a padlock...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Critias
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot5.htm

Interesting read. While you're there, check out the "Box o' Truth," it's always a good time. It's just some cool old retired guy with enough guns and time and money to have a lot of fun, not the most "uber scientific" thing in the world -- but it's a fun little sight, anyways.
Arethusa
I think the lesson, more accurately, was 'just shoot the damn chain.'
ShadowDragon8685
Ahhh, the good ole' Locks 'o truth. smile.gif

Of course, remember that damage in SR is partially a function of the firearm, and of the shooter's skill. So yes, it IS possible to shoot a padlock with that LPist and blast it to kingdom come.

It's a lot easier if you use a 12 gauge shotgun slug, though. smile.gif
Critias
I'd say padlocks -- and some other heavy, industrial, steel stuff -- should work like vehicles, though. In the same way it's impossible to pop open a tank with a 6L light pistol firing hollow points (even with a hojillion dice and a karmic reroll), it should just be impossible to damage some locks with some weapons.

If you're going for a little more realistic game, anyways.
Austere Emancipator
Critias: You missed this thread?

Wouldn't this really be covered in SR by the Barrier Rating rules? Those would allow for some locks to be completely immune to certain attacks.

[Edit]Someone needs to set them straight on "hydrostatic shock".[/Edit]
Critias
Well, it was like ten months old. Sorry.
Austere Emancipator
Just asking. I have nothing against discussing a topic like this again, compared to having a thread about the AVS and called shots once every 4 months.
tisoz
I wonder if any of the locks from the old Masterlock commercials failed?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 27 2005, 01:49 PM)
In the same way it's impossible to pop open a tank with a 6L light pistol firing hollow points (even with a hojillion dice and a karmic reroll), it should just be impossible to damage some locks with some weapons.

Called shot to bypass armor with a hojillion dice you can take down a main battle tank with 1 hit from a 1L weapon. A sufficient martial arts adept can punch a tank to death.
Deamon_Knight
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

In the same way it's impossible to pop open a tank with a 6L light pistol firing hollow points (even with a hojillion dice and a karmic reroll), it should just be impossible to damage some locks with some weapons.

Called shot to bypass armor with a hojillion dice you can take down a main battle tank with 1 hit from a 1L weapon. A sufficient martial arts adept can punch a tank to death.

Why is it I have this image of Raygun, somewhere, having an Obiwan Kenobi moment everytime someone observes this about SRs gun rules.

Like a great many voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced....
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

who needs called shots and adepts? just max out a troll on strength, give him a similary maxed out bow and presto silly.gif

i wonder where the dice comes from tho, isnt there hard caps in SR4?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Where can I find the rule that allows Calling a Shot against a vehicle to bypass armor and also the Damage Level reduction?

It's up to the GM whether he'd allow the melee combat Power increase from successes above Deadly to increase the effective Power for penetrating Vehicle Armor. The rules already state that fire rates don't affect that penetration.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
who needs called shots and adepts? just max out a troll on strength, give him a similary maxed out bow and presto silly.gif

Not that easy. Unless you go to extraordinary lengths to max the STR, you'll end up at about 19-20, which means the best you can do is ~26M (Ranger-X, EX-Ex arrowheads) and that barely penetrates a light APC (which could be attributed to a 2kg HEAT arrow with a 50mm diameter warhead, if you have a habit of trying to justify the unjustifiable).

QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Since he mentioned a weapon doing 1L I think he's talking about SR3. With his interpretation of the rules, if you can dish out 10D with a melee weapon, you'll only need 144 (one hundred and fourty four) net successes on the attack to do a whopping 2S to a Leopard III. A hojillion dice indeed.
Foreigner
I'm curious about something:

Why use a firearm if a Dikoted blade or a length of monowire (or possibly the ubiquitous Kendaichi Monoknife) could do the same thing with a LOT less noise?

Failing that, a mixture of acids, or liquid nitrogen (or oxygen, or helium) would most likely do the job--although the refrigerated stuff would probably need a little help from a hammer. smile.gif

--Foreigner
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Foreigner)
Why use a firearm if a Dikoted blade or a length of monowire (or possibly the ubiquitous Kendaichi Monoknife) could do the same thing with a LOT less noise?

What, cut through a rather thick piece of steel? Because you can't. Monowire would snap long before it'd cut through several millimeters of steel, and no matter how sharp you'd still have to hit such an object impossibly hard with a sword. [This is all according to RL logic, of course. With the canon rules, you could snap locks "silently" with the aid of a high-STR troll and a Dikoted pocket knife. Hell, according to the rules, you could blow 0.5-meter holes in thick concrete walls with the same.]

A burning bar would work much faster than acids, and would have more varied uses, but unfortunately that, too, makes a lot of noise.
Foreigner
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.... nyahnyah.gif

--Foreigner
Demon_Bob
Guns; see above
Bolt cutter: Fast, somewhat silent, but bulky.
Dremmel cutter: time consuming, not quiet, easily protable.
PowerBolt 4 hits: Fast, quiet, leaves astral sig.
Distroy what lock is attached to
mmu1
Tool laser. If you don't have an overly literal-minded GM who feels that the fact it's only listed as an eye mod means it can't exist as a hand tool (or who won't let your character use his Electronics B/R skill to attach a power pack and a handle to a laser taken from the eye mod) you're golden.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Nov 28 2005, 08:41 PM)
Tool laser. If you don't have an overly literal-minded GM who feels that the fact it's only listed as an eye mod means it can't exist as a hand tool (or who won't let your character use his Electronics B/R skill to attach a power pack and a handle to a laser taken from the eye mod) you're golden.

if they hassle you, point to that thingamajig that translates thought to a voice signal. it comes in cyber and non-cyber form, and most groups use it as a model for converting gear back and forth.

I think it's 1/2 as much nuyen.gif to get just about anything cyber in a non-cyber form.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Just asking. I have nothing against discussing a topic like this again, compared to having a thread about the AVS and called shots once every 4 months.

are we due for another one of those already? I forget, is it my turn? I'll make one anyway, just to be safe
warrior_allanon
shanshu, you mean a transducer.....

as to why a gun, usually its faster and if you use a silencer not AS loud, also, having had to shoot a lock off before, you can do it with a handgun but you had better be shooting from the top side and have one hell of a sheild in between your body and the lock itself slug fragments hurt
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
shanshu, you mean a transducer.....

that's the one!
KarmaInferno
What, you can't just grab the lock and pull it apart with your bare hands?

wink.gif

QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Since he mentioned a weapon doing 1L I think he's talking about SR3. With his interpretation of the rules, if you can dish out 10D with a melee weapon, you'll only need 144 (one hundred and fourty four) net successes on the attack to do a whopping 2S to a Leopard III. A hojillion dice indeed.

oops, i read that in the SR4 style, 1Lethal nyahnyah.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Where can I find the rule that allows Calling a Shot against a vehicle to bypass armor and also the Damage Level reduction?

The FAQ can be interperated such.

Actually, I was suggesting that the melee chanacter make a called shot, as well. A STR 11 Troll adept with attuned hardliner gloves and 12 unarmed dice would average 2 successes. A Tank rolling body against TN 12 would only average 1 success.

Repeat untill tank dies.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The FAQ can be interperated such.

Apart from not exactly being canon, it can be filed under "sane GMs will simply ignore".
Foreigner
QUOTE (tisoz @ Nov 27 2005, 10:46 PM)

tisoz:

I don't THINK they did--at least, not during the commercials. smile.gif

Of course, "stronger than a .44 Magnum" or "stronger than a .30-'06" doesn't really mean much--even though the lock took the abuse, you'd have to cut the shackle to get the lock off.

My Dad had this to say whenever he saw one of their commercials:

Announcer: "See? It *didn't* open...."

My Dad: "Yeah...and it'll *NEVER OPEN AGAIN*...at least, not without help from a cutting torch."

rotfl.gif

(For that matter, a pair of bolt cutters or a hacksaw with a tungsten-carbide or Dikoted blade might also work.)

Hmm... I wonder: Would near-simultaneous application of extremely high/ temperatures work?

Say, liquid nitrogen, followed by a blowtorch?

(Or the magical equivalent: a tightly-focused spell applying sub-zero cold, followed immediately thereafter by a spell applying intense heat? Or vice- versa?)

--Foreigner
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Foreigner)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Nov 27 2005, 10:46 PM)

tisoz:

I don't THINK they did--at least, not during the commercials. smile.gif

Of course, "stronger than a .44 Magnum" or "stronger than a .30-'06" doesn't really mean much--even though the lock took the abuse, you'd have to cut the shackle to get the lock off.

My Dad had this to say whenever he saw one of their commercials:

Announcer: "See? It *didn't* open...."

My Dad: "Yeah...and it'll *NEVER OPEN AGAIN*...at least, not without help from a cutting torch."

rotfl.gif

(For that matter, a pair of bolt cutters or a hacksaw with a tungsten-carbide or Dikoted blade might also work.)

Hmm... I wonder: Would near-simultaneous application of extremely high/ temperatures work?

Say, liquid nitrogen, followed by a blowtorch?

(Or the magical equivalent: a tightly-focused spell applying sub-zero cold, followed immediately thereafter by a spell applying intense heat? Or vice- versa?)

--Foreigner

They weren't using military ball .30-06, were they? Because I'm quite sure that WOULD go through just such a lock, and depending on where it hit, probably snap it.
mmu1
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
They weren't using military ball .30-06, were they? Because I'm quite sure that WOULD go through just such a lock, and depending on where it hit, probably snap it.

The Box o' Truth guy shot his locks with an AR-15 and a AK-47, and in both cases, they blew a neat hole through the lock, but didn't blow it apart.

There's no reason to think .30-06 would do anything different - the fact the shotgun did the trick seems to indicate that blasting a lock apart is more dependent on projectile diameter and mass than on KE.
ShadowDragon8685
Hmmmmmmp... Perhaps. I wonder what would happen if you shot to the side, hitting the latch's piece inside the lock?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mmu1)
The Box o' Truth guy shot his locks with an AR-15 and a AK-47, and in both cases, they blew a neat hole through the lock, but didn't blow it apart.

With the 7.62x51mm Ball he blow the bottom half of the lock off. Had he fired at a different spot on the lock, it would've failed.

QUOTE (mmu1)
the fact the shotgun did the trick seems to indicate that blasting a lock apart is more dependent on projectile diameter and mass than on KE.

In this particular case, projectile diameter was the reason why the shotgun performed so much better. All of the long arms penetrated the lock, the shotgun simply did so over such a large area that the whole lock blew to pieces. Firing the lock at a different angle or at a different spot, any of the rifles could have been used to break the lock open.
nezumi
One important thing to note, however, just because the lock doesn't blow to pieces doesn't mean it's not now open to easy tampering. I wonder how many of those locks could now be simply unlocked by reaching in and withdrawing the bolt inside. (There are a bunch of mechanisms inside, remember, and generally the locking bolt can be moved back and forth even if the keyhole will never function again.)
mmu1
With the 7.62x51mm Ball he blow the bottom half of the lock off. Had he fired at a different spot on the lock, it would've failed.

Oops. Forgot that one. Still, I'd like a higher sample size. wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (nezumi)
One important thing to note, however, just because the lock doesn't blow to pieces doesn't mean it's not now open to easy tampering.  I wonder how many of those locks could now be simply unlocked by reaching in and withdrawing the bolt inside.  (There are a bunch of mechanisms inside, remember, and generally the locking bolt can be moved back and forth even if the keyhole will never function again.)

Precisely...

And the team wondered why my character Margo Grande spent 5 BPs on mechanical lock picking skill. and a 1,500 nuyen.gif on a primo lockpick set.

Picking a lock is also a lot quieter than shooting one off.
ShadowDragon8685
But is it as satisfying?
Toptomcat
Not that easy. Unless you go to extraordinary lengths to max the STR, you'll end up at about 19-20, which means the best you can do is ~26M (Ranger-X, EX-Ex arrowheads) and that barely penetrates a light APC (which could be attributed to a 2kg HEAT arrow with a 50mm diameter warhead, if you have a habit of trying to justify the unjustifiable).

Dikote them. And use combat drugs. That'll penetrate damn near anything short of an MBT.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
But is it as satisfying?

When you don't alert any guards or neighbours (who might call LS), I would say, Yes.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Toptomcat)
Dikote them. And use combat drugs. That'll penetrate damn near anything short of an MBT.

remove context, activate dirty mind, start to wonder what them is silly.gif
stevebugge
Speaking of Dikote, why not just Dikote a pair of bolt cutters and augment your strength a little
ShadowDragon8685
Dikoted bolt-cutters. Aren't those antivehicular weapons, depending on the size of the cutters?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Dikoted bolt-cutters. Aren't those antivehicular weapons, depending on the size of the cutters?

They could be. I'd imagine a Troll version of Scissor Man wielding giant dikoted bolt cutters could cause quite a bit of damage.
nezumi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

Give me a big enough pair of dikoted bolt cutters and a big enough base to put them on and I can cut through planets.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Toptomcat)

Dikoting doesn't (neccessarily) help with EX-Ex arrowheads, and it's only +1 Power anyway. +STR combat drugs are nice if you can use them without killing yourself in short order -- you can get a few more points of Power that way. If you can get a total of +6 Power from somewhere over the setup I mentioned above then you can penetrate all the light armored vehicles in Rigger 3, but you'll still be 50 points of Power away from penetrating an MBT.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

Forget about boltcutters, just mount cyberspurs on maxed Mechanical Arms on a high-Body vehicle.
toturi
Max strength troll (Adept optional), Ranger X bow with SL2 attachment + dikoted arrows(or some other power enhancement you can think up), Called Shot AND insane power. This is only if your GM is allowing the FAQ interpretation of Called Shot to Bypass Armour.

Otherwise the only canon bypass armor rule is the one for chemical deliver systems and that bypass Impact armor at a body location, so YMMV.
Kyoto Kid
I'll stick with the lockpick kit. Simple, elegant, inexpensive, fairly reliable and above all, a lot more stealthy.

With most runners who are B&E experts opting for Electronics/Electronics B&R over the more traditional skill, I could see why places might resort back to mechanical locks. Makes that expensive Passkey or Sequencer pretty useless.

Mechanical locks are also available in various grades, from simple to very complex & challenging.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012